HA/AA Veno worth it?

Options
TheVelvetCat - Lost City
TheVelvetCat - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Venomancer
Hello. I'm thinking of making a Veno which would be mix of HA and AA at endgame. I'm a guy but that's okay for me, if someone feels bad with it, we don't have to be friends. And I have a few questions about that kind of build:

1. Is that kind of Veno really worth it? I mean, I'm sure she has great survivability, but I'm afraid about her damage.

2. Would you advise me to be HA, LA or AA at levels 1-9x?

3. Is that a PvP or PvE build?

4. Am I 'bound' to Magic Swords in order to have good physical damage? That would be kinda sad, as neither R8 or R9 weapons are Magic Swords...

5. Can someone advise me what kind of Heavy Armor and Ornaments, Rings [and other "accessories"] should I be using? This would help me with creating a build on pwcalc b:victory

Thanks in advance, people! b:dirty
Post edited by TheVelvetCat - Lost City on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i'm actually considering something down those lines myself. i'm planning on restatting once i hit 90, i'm going arcane/caster until then.

i dunno if it's "worth it", i guess that would depend on how you like playing the game and what you find worthwhile. i'm figuring that by the time i get to that level, i'll have learned all i can about the arcane caster playstyle and it'll be time for a change. plus i've been playing my seeker alt, and that's all KINDS of fun, so...

i'm entirely PvE and will remain so. PvP just doesn't interest me. nor does rank anything on a veno; i'm staying with magic swords. i suppose i could go R8 as and when i get to 100, that pataka isn't half bad, but i'm not sure if it'd be worth the cost to me.

i don't have a final, decided-on build yet, but this is what i'm currently playing around with: http://pwcalc.com/735c2fb3c2aab97c

notes:
    (1) that magic ring has got to go, it's a remnant of an earlier thought experiment before i got my thinking straightened out on this build. still a work in progress, this.
    (2) the mag defenses are low as heck, i'd have to carry two to four pieces of arcane armor (TT80 or 90, most likely) to switch into as needed for that.
    (3) TT90 HA has some really neat +vit bonuses; if and when i level out of this stuff, my HP would almost certainly go down.
    (4) this build was designed to be relatively cheap; the tome's 6-8 mil, cape's most expensive at no more than 11 mil if the mats are chipped, so maybe 30 mil counting the sharding and refines and bearing in mind it'll still need AA.

select ornaments, rings, cape, and tome for the maximum amount of stat bonuses to str, dex, and mag. don't worry about ornaments being pdef instead of mdef; when facing magical opponents, you'll switch to the AA pieces for mdef.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • LongWushi - Heavens Tear
    LongWushi - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I can't say that it's worth it or not. I have an HA veno that's L60 but I'm having too much fun with other characters to really play her anymore. I also have a L101 Vit/AA veno.

The best advice I can think of is have more than one set of "accessories". You can have a set that adds strictly to your STR so that your damage is higher and for gears. Then you can alternate with a MAG set for when you want to be in caster form. My veno (the 101) carries 2-3 sets of ornaments, some of which are -chan gears and some add to her vit/hp or to her MAG.

I would think any build would be good for both PvE and PvP, but then again I can't say since my HA veno is only 60. Your caster skills will give you more damage, hands down, but the HA will give you better physical defense and likely allow you to survive more hits from melee/physical type mobs. However, that will take away from your magic defense and survivability from magic attacks.

At 89/90 a very popular necklace is the Sky Demon's Pearl or it's TT look-alike because they add 5% to your HP. That doesn't sound like much but it is certainly noticeable. They also add to phsyical defense too and I know the Pearl adds to str but I'm not sure about the TT version.

As to your weapons, carry an arsenal. Besides, it's good to have a back up just in case you haven't kept up with repairs or forgotten too and one starts to break. Of course I have always had fun rotating through weapons as necessary.
  • zbzkda
    zbzkda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hi, from my own experience, the PvP veno builds as I see them:

-> Pure HA veno makes sense, but requires you to have very good planning, and a lot of money to invest. The reason you'd go HA veno is that you would have respectable physical defense, and you can use your ornaments to get the magical defense back. Your armour gives about 7-8K pdef by itself (with good gear at 10x), and then your rings (which would be magical of course) along with ornaments would give + magical defense.

-> HA+AA mix: A build based on the "HA + AA mix" ideology does not make sense: You can get the same defense backing with an LA build, and you have much more trouble getting gear than when you build with pure HA in mind.

-> LA veno: When built well, it will be just like a well done VIT AA veno, but with more crit.

-> VIT AA: Well tried, well tested, more opportunities for -chan, possibly more attack, depending on how aggressively you stat into VIT.

-> DEX AA: Well tried, well tested, same as VIT AA, but with lower HP (doesn't matter you can depend on refines), and much better crit. IMHO, this makes the most sense to me: you get the attack of a VIT arcane, and the crit of an LA veno, but you have excellent magical defense due to AA gear and more chances to get -chan from gear unlike LA.

In conclusion, from my POV: Take a VIT-AA, DEX-AA, LA, pure-HA and an HA-AA veno and put them all side by side:

Without heavy Cash-shopping
    Pure HA: Would have to wear a weapon below his level due to lacking +MAG and no satisfactory tome, since tomes cost a lot. Or if he gets a tome, it'll be after a long, needlessly frustrating gaming experience. Unnecessarily low attack, and just walking through the game chasing a dream of how strong his veno "will be when I get X gear and Y tome so I can FINALLY get a wep for my level".

HA-AA-mix: Same as pure-HA.

LA: Good at lower levels, a bit frustrating at 70-80, then nice as you get your endgame gear. Not too much trouble getting your build together, flexible, nice.

VIT-AA: Lotsa HP and you feel nice at midrange levels, and you survive nicely. At endgame when you get your good gear you'll just comfortably phase into the extra pdef from your shards and refines on ornaments. Overall very smooth.

DEX-AA: Not much HP, but you'll feel like you're just sacrificing something for now, and later it'll pay off. You crit a good bit, and at around 80 you really start feeling that crit kicking in, and you're happy. When you get your endgame gear you're very happy since you now have about the same attack as a VIT-AA veno...except you have lots of crit. You will get yout HP back with refines, and then take your rightful place as a surprisingly high-hitting veno who everybody thought was just another VIT-AA, but somehow you crit way too much, and it hurts a lot.

With heavy Cash-shopping
    Pure-HA veno: You read the thread on the forums and you liked what you saw, so you thought that you'd do an HA veno. You get to about lvl70 and begin to understand the character, and how gear and stats and builds really work, and you realize the attack problem. You can either restat to LA or VIT-AA or spend a bit on packs, get a scroll of tome, and get a +MAG tome, and then from then on, it's smooth sailiing. You do good damage in fox form too, something other venos cannot have the same way that an HA veno has it.

HA-AA veno: Pretty much the same as HA-AA: you eventually see the attack anomally and so you CS and buy a good tome and then all your problems are solved.

LA: You always have the best LA gear, so you're like an archer with a pet, and since you CS, you have a nix, so you basically enjoy the game through and through.

VIT-AA: You do it, but it's boring, but you like the HP, and you have money anyway, so you can just buy pdef shards and you basically have a PvP veno. Enjoy.

DEX-AA: Sort of like LA? Nothing much changes here for a CSer.

*** Something very good to mention is that you can get +VIT shards, so a VIT-AA build is pointless to an extent since you can stat those points into DEX and get as much crit as an LA build, and STILL have the VIT of a VIT build from +VIT stones. So win-win. Basically, with VIT stones, a VIT build is pointless so you could use those points elsewhere.

*** I have personally played my veno as LA, HA-AA mix and DEX-AA.

In conclusion: CS fixes the problems with the more troublesome builds. Don't try HA unless you're sure you can afford the gear to supplement +MAG for wep, and the tome for it too.
    I seriously wonder: people who don't RPK, if you play the board game "Sorry!" and you roll the dice so that you land on an opponents piece and send it back to the beginning, do you sincerely apologize and ask everyone if you can have a do-over roll so you can give your victim another chance? It's a god damn game..

--LongKnife
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    @zbzkda
    i miss here pure AA: vit 3, str at 52 and rest on MAG. I think LA-AA build is not a good build tho, cause a pure AA makes way more damage over time than LA-AA, who depends only on criticals. And if you prefer your pet to tank, you cant HEAL critical. So it is worst build in my eyes.

Edit:
    @OP if you dont care about pvp then stay with pure AA or Vit AA build.
    Tho i suggest you to go Vit AA build (means to have like 50 vit base and with gear +/-100) and then restat at endgame to pure AA (base vit 3) with vit-shards.

HA-AA build is usefull for pvp, but as i heard from others you wont be able to heal so strong as AA and you will suffer on channel for some bosses to tank, tho you will have good pdef.

HA build ...is expensive. You will have same costs on repair as barb. Not worth it in my eyes.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • LadyMaraJade - Sanctuary
    LadyMaraJade - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    HA build ...is expensive. You will have same costs on repair as barb. Not worth it in my eyes.

Not fully true Iam a Pure HA Veno (have been from lvl 1 to 100 no restats or anything yet ) and after tanking both Fb 69 & 79 My repair costs where under 25k that with me tanking all the bosses and mobs in foxform ( they may get higher but not allways )

I love been able to mix it up between casting and going into foxform beating mobs and bosses in fox b:cute

Only thing i found been fully HA is magic mobs love ya & hurt b:cry

with all my armour& wep i farmed all mats for them and brought rings robe necklace

I use the 3* mowgai belt
    protcetion belt which gives +5 str +5 dex +5 magic
    (quest reward)
    3* fossile necklace
    which gives me +7 vit +5 str +5 dex

If you want to try a HA veno that up to you but it does take bit of planing ahead for armour and gears
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Not fully true Iam a Pure HA Veno (have been from lvl 1 to 100 no restats or anything yet ) and after tanking both Fb 69 & 79 My repair costs where under 25k that with me tanking all the bosses and mobs in foxform ( they may get higher but not allways )

I love been able to mix it up between casting and going into foxform beating mobs and bosses in fox b:cute

Only thing i found been fully HA is magic mobs love ya & hurt b:cry

with all my armour& wep i farmed all mats for them and brought rings robe necklace

I use the 3* mowgai belt
    protcetion belt which gives +5 str +5 dex +5 magic
    (quest reward)
    3* fossile necklace
    which gives me +7 vit +5 str +5 dex

If you want to try a HA veno that up to you but it does take bit of planing ahead for armour and gears

My LA Veno would spend 40-80k a day in repairs just on her weapon. Be it fox form or casting, weapons took a serious beating. Do a BH, do a TT, and voila, repair time, and oh noes, weapon is at 3/125. Repair, do a TT, and it's down to 50/125.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sorry but thats actually alot for 2 wined FBs (and i doubt you did it unwined). A Barb spends same if not less.
    I dont use any pots at all as AA Veno, cause i have mass of MP. MP food is cheaper anyway (and i use it very very rarely).

Here is a pure AA Veno:

PURE AA

I didnt take any special items, except the warsoul helm (which i suggest you to get due channel) and attendane ring. Refined it only till +3, cause its easiest to get with mirages.
    One necklace is even from quest and from those daily teacher quests, since i have it myself.
    As you can see, you still can get 4,4k+ HP without any buffs, with shards and tome (Vit base 3).
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    zbzkda wrote: »
    -> HA+AA mix: A build based on the "HA + AA mix" ideology does not make sense: You can get the same defense backing with an LA build, and you have much more trouble getting gear than when you build with pure HA in mind.

Just something from my experience- the typical HA/AA venos that I meet are pretty much what you described as pure HA. Since your magic stat has to be high enough to wield a magic weapon, you'll have more than enough magic to wear a piece of arcane armour or two for when you have to fight magic mobs or like situations.

In all honesty, cost is irrelevant when you decide on your armor type for endgame. I have one set of endgame armor for each armor type and they cost me about the same. If you go heavy, you'll want something to supplement your magic defense and magic attack. If you go arcane, you need to focus more on your p.def. If you go LA, you've got a middle road and need to up a few different things.

Heavy armor is more expensive at early levels because there aren't enough stat points, so you need specific pieces to compensate for that. You don't have that issue at endgame and the mats for endgame armour are the same regardless of which path you choose to go.

Most builds are good and they all need augmenting. If HA is something you want to do, go for it.

Sarra, do you repair every time you town? I have trouble believing how fast your weapon degrades at your level.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My LA Veno would spend 40-80k a day in repairs just on her weapon. Be it fox form or casting, weapons took a serious beating. Do a BH, do a TT, and voila, repair time, and oh noes, weapon is at 3/125. Repair, do a TT, and it's down to 50/125.

no way you could be doing that much wear and tear on your wep just from a bh and tt inless your not repairing it everyday

@coldsnow that allso inc 20x3 and fb 79 unwine i know a fair few barbs who walk out of fb/bh with higher then 70k repair bills wined i know bms who walk out bhs with 100k repair bills so 25k isnt really that high
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desiree - Harshlands
    Desiree - Harshlands Posts: 635 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Pure HA is tank veno. The only real advantage of going HA in PvP is that your gear refines for higher than LA/AA so you're able to reach higher total HP values. Last time I calculated things (before anni pack gear so things may be different now), the breakpoint is +6. If you can afford to refine your gear higher than +6, HA is the better choice stat-wise.

Here's a sample easy and cheap 9x build if you want to test out HA veno. My build on RT was something similar to that except with better ornaments due to lucky three-stars. Needless to say, because I couldn't afford high refines, it was pretty much just an experiment. I would also not recommend you use that build if you are seriously considering HA - invest in a tome instead so you can wear better (mdef) ornaments.

http://pwcalc.com/0583eb412906769d

~Desiree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You're thinking of HA/AA as one set of armor which never changes. The whole point of HA/AA is that you carry both sets, and switch armor as the situation warrants. If you need to tank a physical boss, you can. If you need to range tank a casting boss, you can. If you want something in between, you can go half/half. It lets you (given enough money) hit the same max pdef as HA, the same max mdef as AA, and anything in between. That's what makes it the best (albeit the most expensive) choice.
  • Hhlolz - Harshlands
    Hhlolz - Harshlands Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Robe all the way.

For endgame(pvp)
    AA is the best for 1v1
    HA best for group pvp
    LA has always sucked endgame
    *Faildom*
    I don't need a Squad
    Level a Venomancer to 90.
    Aug 12, 2009
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Robe all the way.

For endgame(pvp)
    AA is the best for 1v1
    HA best for group pvp
    LA has always sucked endgame

unless they released a class of invisible physical damage dealers and 90% of the people that pvp switched to this class, then obviously, the build with the most physical defense would be optimal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    unless they released a class of invisible physical damage dealers and 90% of the people that pvp switched to this class, then obviously, the build with the most physical defense would be optimal.

That was part of my motivation as well. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SmurfJegeren - Dreamweaver
    SmurfJegeren - Dreamweaver Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Pure HA is tank veno. The only real advantage of going HA in PvP is that your gear refines for higher than LA/AA so you're able to reach higher total HP values

Not something I can agree with. Wearing only HA with a magic weapon(Wich all honesty still is an HA/AA build) open up the ability to deal some serious physical damage. Your strenght with weapon damage + melee mastery can make your fox form very powerful on damage output.

My Veno is a HA with magic weapon, Ive gotten my end game weapon on it, and my atk rate is 8.5-10k in fox form. At 2.22 atk rate thats alot more than most Arcane venos can hope of. So HP from refines and the possibility of a way higher damage output are both great advantages that most peopel dont seem to see.
    No I dont have a herc, I AM the herc! b:mischievous

Youtube channel for NW vids: /channel/UCV9DguJZ0LGMlv5IorA5kVg

Please do drop by n tell me hints on how to improve c:
    Current build for pwcalc: /bd6d5c1459cf7d94
  • xxxdsmer
    xxxdsmer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    this thread has so many wrong things in it that i dont know what several of you are smoking, but you seriously need to lay off it. (not all of it though - there's several posts that are good&accurate.. just several that have at least one grossly wrong thing in 'em)

- it dosen't take +6 to make it worth being HA.
    - there is ALWAYS the issue of not having enougn points, unless the individual is planning to run around weaksauce @ lv100+ with lv90 armor or weapon, which's about as fail as doing stuff like that in lower levels.
    - for all the ignorant high repair costs comments: i've ran many HH's right along side an AA veno with my HA veno, and we both always had about the same repair costs (which, in all cases, was pretty durn cheap). If an HA veno's getting more repair cost than an AA, they're either doing it wrong (the case most of the time), or they tanked mobs w/ foxform to save the cleric or someone else (like i've done multiple times)... or there's also being lazy **** and staying in foxform to autoattack with melee hits (which costs an insane amount on repairs because every single use of any weapon, wether melee or magic attack, costs the same per use to repair, and since magic weapons were intended to be used with magic skills, they're quite expensive per use to repair: which's alright when used properly, but go whacking everything in foxform w/ melee hits and yeah you're gona have high repairs)
    - Pure HA is not just "tank veno". a PROPERLY built veno can do everything any other veno can do, including DD well enough. and every HA veno could be considered HA/AA because every HA veno *can* wear arcane armors, not because they use the weapon type they should be using (magic weapons). And yeah, HA veno w/ foxform has a decent physical attack, but as said before doing alot of melee attacks, especially sitting autoattacking, will make huge repair bills: so dont stay foxform unless you have to for surviving a physical aoe, or several melee/archer mobs on YOU (not pet, like when saving the cleric's bacon)
    - HA veno does not have the same repairs as a barb, unless they play just like a barb; and take every hit themselves (instead of pet).
    - HA is not a PVP only build. it has its uses in all parts of the game.

and now for the thing that actually started me writing this reply:

-> HA+AA mix: A build based on the "HA + AA mix" ideology does not make sense: You can get the same defense backing with an LA build wrong. allow me to direct your attention to the following builds: both lvl 90, and i even changed ornaments on the light armor one to swing things in its favor more: and its still not as good as 2HA+2AA for defenses: HA lvl 90 and LA lvl90 , and you have much more trouble getting gear than when you build with pure HA in mind. at least some part of this paragraph is correct, but at 90+ there's a ton of options available for gears, and alot that are fairly common

-> LA veno: When built well, it will be just like a well done VIT AA veno, but with more crit.wrong again, unless you're figuring on refining the LA and not refining the vitAA veno.

-> VIT AA: Well tried, well tested, more opportunities for -chan, possibly more attack, depending on how aggressively you stat into VIT.

-> DEX AA: Well tried, well tested, same as VIT AA, but with lower HP (doesn't matter you can depend on refines), and much better crit. IMHO, this makes the most sense to me: you get the attack of a VIT arcane, and the crit of an LA veno, but you have excellent magical defense due to AA gear and more chances to get -chan from gear unlike LA. AA w/ dex? /facepalm.

In conclusion, from my POV: Take a VIT-AA, DEX-AA, LA, pure-HA and an HA-AA veno and put them all side by side: again AA w/ dex? /facedesk

Without heavy Cash-shopping
    Pure HA: Would have to wear a weapon below his level due to lacking +MAG and no satisfactory tome, since tomes cost a lot. Or if he gets a tome, it'll be after a long, needlessly frustrating gaming experience. Unnecessarily low attack, and just walking through the game chasing a dream of how strong his veno "will be when I get X gear and Y tome so I can FINALLY get a wep for my level". wrong wrong and wrong. i'm currently wearing HH90 glaive AND HH90 heavy armor, and have been doing so since level 90 (currently lv91). a PROPERLY built HA veno is missing barely any mag atk, if any, as compared to say: an LA or VIT AA veno. oh and about the tome: look at my tome in the link for the HA veno of the above comparison: MP recovery (i dont need a stat tome to work). but yea, like any build or any class if its built fail (HA veno with not enough +str/dex/mag bonuses so it can wear current armor AND weapon... or "DEX AA") then it'll be fail.

HA-AA-mix: Same as pure-HA. looks like a not heavily refined HA/AA (2&2) beat LA for defenses and was only missing mag atk b/c of the rings i'm currently wearing, but i can also switch helms and put on my hh90 glaive and do anything any other 90 veno can do. (w/ comparable refines ofc)

LA: Good at lower levels, a bit frustrating at 70-80, then nice as you get your endgame gear. Not too much trouble getting your build together, flexible, nice. no, not flexible, at least as far as what you can do with points. ornaments, headgear, cape: sure. stats: yea you can jimmy a few points from mag to put on strength to wear a warsoul of earth (along with strength bonuses on belt+neck+cape), but there's not much wiggle room at all. one plus (not that my previous point is a con) is that LA is easy to make work properly. generally your lvl +4 for strength and dex (for armors) and the rest to magic (which's usually just enough for current magic weapon).

VIT-AA: Lotsa HP and you feel nice at midrange levels, and you survive nicely. At endgame when you get your good gear you'll just comfortably phase into the extra pdef from your shards and refines on ornaments. Overall very smooth.

DEX-AA: Not much HP, but you'll feel like you're just sacrificing something for now, and later it'll pay off. You crit a good bit, and at around 80 you really start feeling that crit kicking in, and you're happy. When you get your endgame gear you're very happy since you now have about the same attack as a VIT-AA veno...except you have lots of crit. You will get yout HP back with refines, and then take your rightful place as a surprisingly high-hitting veno who everybody thought was just another VIT-AA, but somehow you crit way too much, and it hurts a lot. just.. facedesk. FAIL. next.

With heavy Cash-shopping
    Pure-HA veno: You read the thread on the forums and you liked what you saw, so you thought that you'd do an HA veno. You get to about lvl70 and begin to understand the character, and how gear and stats and builds really work, and you realize the attack problem. You can either restat to LA or VIT-AA or spend a bit on packs, get a scroll of tome, and get a +MAG tome, and then from then on, it's smooth sailiing. You do good damage in fox form too, something other venos cannot have the same way that an HA veno has it.i restatted my veno at 72 to heavy armor and have never had an attack problem because it was done right. actually restatted from LA with a huge stack of pdef bonuses on 3* LA's to go heavy, and haven't regretted doing it once. because you dont like it, doesn't mean it doesn't work [aside from "DEX AA".. whiskey tango foxtrot]

HA-AA veno: Pretty much the same as HA-AA: you eventually see the attack anomally and so you CS and buy a good tome and then all your problems are solved. there's no attack anomoly, its all in your head. (i'm talking when the heavy veno's done RIGHT.)

LA: You always have the best LA gear, so you're like an archer with a pet, and since you CS, you have a nix, so you basically enjoy the game through and through. no its like a veno wearing light armor. which works for some, worked for me at ~63 to 65 completely soloing all of fb51 area with zero buffs, no refines, and not even having hp&mp charms.

VIT-AA: You do it, but it's boring, but you like the HP, and you have money anyway, so you can just buy pdef shards and you basically have a PvP veno. Enjoy. seems your opinion is extremely biased toward VIT AA. i can think of several situations where i've survived (both in pvp and pve) where a better geared and well built arcane veno couldn't. vitAA, hybridAA, magAA, LA, HA, HA/AA are all valid builds and armor selections for veno. its what works best for the person using it, how they use it, and if its built right.

DEX-AA: Sort of like LA? Nothing much changes here for a CSer. except still being fail because the points spent on dex on any arcane build would always be better off spent on vit or mag. (yes i finally said the most obvious error in your post)

*** Something very good to mention is that you can get +VIT shards, so a VIT-AA build is pointless to an extent since you can stat those points into DEX and get as much crit as an LA build, and STILL have the VIT of a VIT build from +VIT stones. So win-win. Basically, with VIT stones, a VIT build is pointless so you could use those points elsewhere. see previous comment. even with extra spendable points from sharding the 10vit stones, the points would still be better spent on moar vit or mag. if you want dex go LA.

*** I have personally played my veno as LA, HA-AA mix and DEX-AA. congratulations, you've played your veno as good good and total fail.

In conclusion: CS fixes the problems with the more troublesome builds. Don't try HA unless you're sure you can afford the gear to supplement +MAG for wep, and the tome for it too.as evident in the pwcalc of my 90 veno, it dosent take a ton of cash shop stuff to make everything work. in my case it just took perusing the auction and finding things that would help make it work (like the rings which'll be replaced at lv94, and capes i'd worn before i got the hh90 cape, and various ornaments prior to these, which'll also get replaced higher in the 90's)

i've no bones with whomever posted the blatantly incorrect things and that was not griping at them, just correcting several things (as in this whole thread) that i saw that nearly made my eyes bleed from being so incorrect. (or extremely biased)

properly built magAA, vitAA, hybridAA (aka no floggin extra dex), properly built LA, and properly built HA / HA/AA are all viable options for a veno. it depends what you want to do with your veno. Personally i like being able to aoe several mobs that started at the cleric because whoever ran into said group of mobs didnt happen to hit all the agro'd mobs so they wouldnt go after the cleric, which more often than not puts me taking hits from several melee or archer mobs, so heavy armor and foxform works best for me in that situation.

HA / HA/AA: extreme versatility because you can wear all heavy for insane pdef, you can swap in two arcane pieces for balanced (and better than LA) defenses, and can even wear all four pieces arcane armor. and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't severely hurt mag atk (if done right.)

LA: not much wiggle room at all for what to do with your stat points - pretty much your lvl +4 for strength and dex, and the rest to magic for magic weapon (all to current level, like hh90 armors and weapon at 90). OK mag resist, meteokre phys def, has about the same attack as a vitAA with some extra crit chance. The only real advantage i've experienced with light armor is that i didn't have to go hunting the highest +str/dex/mag equipments and plan from level 72 to 100 in advance. LA just works (as long as points are spent correctly: there's also no room to put points on vit [aside from bonuses on equipment, but that isnt spent points anyway])

vitAA: easy to hit a good HP, can get to acceptable phys def if done right.
    magAA: fairly low survivability and higher attack
    hybridAA: "hybrid" in this case means something between vitAA and magAA (like minimum strength and magic for weapon and arcanes to lvl, then the remaining free points split in half between vit and mag, or most put on vit some on mag, or most on mag some on vit etc etc.) it does not mean dex. dex should never be added to any build that's intended to be arcane wearing. if you want to hit things with melee go LA or HA, if you want to crit more just stack crit bonuses on your dex-less AA (or go LA).
    LA: ok mag resist, meteokre phys def, but easy to keep working with weapon and armor current. i was LA from 1-72 and it got the job done most of the time.
    HA / HA/AA: can definitely be a pain in the rear to build PROPERLY. if not going to put the effort into actually making it work (i.e: not running around with a magic weapon 30 levels lower than you. same goes for armor) then its best to not do it, or wait till 90+ and after you already have everything needed to make it work. BUT, imho, its definitely worth it. beats out LA for defenses even w/ just torso and pants heavy and boots n wrist arcane (plus w/ my crappy neck and quest reward belt to boot, and the belt's not even the type i'd rather wear with heavy [magic resist instead of pdef]) Can change armors for whatever situation you happen to come across, and dosent suffer a major damage reduction like everyone swears it does (if its done properly).

but, ultimately, its up to you and what you want out of your veno and how you want to play it. dont just listen to someone saying VIT AA'S WHERE ITS AT or GO HEAVY BECAUSE ITS COOL. what works for someone else may not be suitable for you and your play style.

but on topic, to me, HA is 'worth it'. and i've got a friend that swears by their arcane build, and it works for them & thats gravy.
    i'm pro all classes, and against none in particular..
    but the age old QQ about venos is just that. OLD.
    QQ'd about a nix lately? check out this thread n tell me who's "OP" lol..
    (copy and paste this to address bar):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102172
  • limeball
    limeball Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    To the OP, we can argue facts and fiction about HA builds all day, but the important question is where do YOU want to go with this build? What do you plan on for it? Will it suit YOU? Disregard everyone else's biased opinions.

No, HAs are not strictly bound to magic swords in terms of physical damage. They just tend to have the highest max physical damage as far as I could remember, but Patakas are also comparable. What makes the fox's physical damage even viable in the first place is the high dps, not the raw strength, so weapon choice merely boils down to a matter of preference. Different magic weapons have different advantages, although I think I do remember wands being weak in terms of phys.

I only mentioned Magic Swords mostly in Rei's HA guide because I was biased towards their far cooler looking nature compared to other magic weapons. I guess I need to need to edit that at some point to make sure people don't walk away from it thinking it's only limited to one weapon.
    Previously known as:
    Reikara - Lv. 94 HA/AA Venomancer
    Limeball - Lv. 80 Assassin

Quit and came back.
  • isi1me
    isi1me Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I guess instead of making a thread completely about it, would anyone have an idea on how I should stat my Veno (HA fox)?

I am currently doing 6MAG, 3STR, 1DEX?
    Any changes or what not to that? Only Lv.13
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I went LA at lvl 70, and I'm glad I did. IT seems to work quite well with fox form, and the extra magic defense and crit is nice. Now that I have my TT80 gear(Which, I went TT gold, not green) I am noticing an extremely nice survivability; I breezed through my quests in burning heart/plane of farewell, as with a charm, crabs, and maxed leech, I can round up groups of sometimes 5+ mobs, and aoe the hell out of them with malefic crush, fox myriad and maxed befuddling mist.

Of course, I spend about 95% of the time in fox form, I usually only go human to bramble, pass spark, or heal up between mobs with Metabolic Boost/Nature's Grace. And honestly, I don't think LA would be a very good build if you rarely use fox form.
  • limeball
    edited May 2011
    Options
    isi1me wrote: »
    I guess instead of making a thread completely about it, would anyone have an idea on how I should stat my Veno (HA fox)?

I am currently doing 6MAG, 3STR, 1DEX?
    Any changes or what not to that? Only Lv.13

If you're only level 13 you should not be a HA build period. The reason being that you do not have enough stat points to make one. Venomancers mostly switch to HA builds around level 80 or 90 (90 is recommended) once they've bought and collected all their equipment which will give them the required stat boosts to allow them to wear their weapons and armour.

You can find some more detailed information here:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=198681
    Previously known as:

Quit and came back.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    building a HA veno from level 1 on up is possible, but the constant neverending chase after stat-add and requirement-reduced gear for all those levels... would drive somebody like myself flat out bat**** insane. i'm waiting until 90 to restat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    limeball wrote: »
    If you're only level 13 you should not be a HA build period. The reason being that you do not have enough stat points to make one. Venomancers mostly switch to HA builds around level 80 or 90 (90 is recommended) once they've bought and collected all their equipment which will give them the required stat boosts to allow them to wear their weapons and armour.

Ive done from lvl 1 and No restat at all in between i can say ive had fun playing mara has HA veno and done it every well

Its true you need all the equipment to give you the stat boosts for armour and weapons
    but you can do it from LvL1 onwards if you put your mind to it and hunt around
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • limeball
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hm I suppose so. I just don't really recommend it to newcomers. It's a very difficult and expensive endeavour, but I guess if your heart is set on it then there's nothing stopping you. Just don't expect an easy life for your character.
    Previously known as:

Quit and came back.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    b:cute I guess i kinda broke the rules and Mold on here lol
    1. Mara Is my very 1st Toon on here
    2. Mara been Ha from lvl 1

b:chuckle

its been fun and yes it can very difficult to do But very Rewarding if you can do it :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Masumi_ - Sanctuary
    _Masumi_ - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thank you for all the info. I just decided to go LA fox for the time being. I'm not exactly new I had a Lv.80 Cleric and Archer before leaving (forgot account and my old email's info...). I just want to play a veno because they can solo and I am up and down due to my newborn. Me and my wife will end up duo-ing with her veno when I get higher up there (she is HA veno from one but asking her what she did is normally "I don't know" lol).

Again thank you for all your replies b:victory
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just have fun~
  • The_love - Raging Tide
    The_love - Raging Tide Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    courent gear
    end game gear
    you make the decition if you think its worth it and make sure you go sage if going heavy
    [SIGPIC]sometimes love hurts and baby i love you A LOT[/SIGPIC]
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    as much as i love Alt build.. i got this impression that

Rank 9 gear make going HA look like a lot of effort for very little result isn't it?

with a good refine cube necklace, +500 phy def cape

the phy def you get in fox form is already enough with the Def level rank 9 provide.
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Rank 9 gear make going HA look like a lot of effort for very little result isn't it?

with a good refine cube necklace, +500 phy def cape

the phy def you get in fox form is already enough with the Def level rank 9 provide.

that's assuming one has a realistic chance of acquiring rank 9 + cube necklace + good cape. i for one don't see myself ever spending that much money on this game, so i'm not going r9 --- i'm probably never even going rank 8. so HA veno is still meaningful for itself, to me.
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    http://pwcalc.com/7fa14d577b57f574

Please don't hate on the build, just something I threw together.

Even with that cape, and neck...Pdef is still quite low compared to a HA veno.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D