Wizards? Should I make one?

Options
Chardenelle - Heavens Tear
Chardenelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
edited June 2011 in Wizard
Is it worth it to invest time and money into a Wizard? I started playing the class a few days ago for fun after getting bored with my main character.
It was pretty fun. I think I'd enjoy playing a Wizard for a while, but are Wizards still useful? I don't really have a lot of money to invest in a Wizard, but I'd enjoy playing one.
I've heard that Wizards become dead endgame, but I'd like to confirm this. b:sad
Post edited by Chardenelle - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Rubblemancer - Sanctuary
    Rubblemancer - Sanctuary Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wizards are useful, they are awesome. They also tend to die often. They become power houses late, so early and mid game can be problematic. They are fun and rewarding though, just don't expect an easy ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Silvy for the awesome sig!
  • Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver
    Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I m having a lot of fun playing my wizzye.. I took me about two weeks to reach lvl 44 (with no hypers) and I did most of the quests alone and i didn t die too much.. i don t know what to expect in the future but for the moment i m not having any problems to squad or to find people willing to ride bh`s with me... that s my experience for the moment.. you just need to learn how to use your spells and be aware of what mobs you have around in case you need to take distance from the mob you re attacking in order to avoid damage.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wizards are not exactly the practical choice, but if you are having fun then go ahead. We are essentially useless in almost any instance (last pick for all the money making ones) but we are pretty good in pvp given you can somehow get good gear and you are not fighting tideborn (they are way OP). The only thing we are really good for as a class is aoe dph, which only really happens in TW.

With all that said, I have no intention to switch mains, there is just something I like about my wiz.. And I doubt I'll ever change my mind (although I do have an ep, veno and bm to do all my pve things :P)
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Lenestro - Sanctuary
    Lenestro - Sanctuary Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wiz is a ton of fun and its great to see big numbers and use big flashy spells. im not really a PvEer but i didnt know that until recently >.> instances are a drag watching everyone else **** away at a boss while you hit super slow, but its fun to crit on a friend and watch them die in one hit. b:laugh
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Psys aren't OP unless you spend billions in game. Everyone spouts psys being OP this, psys being OP that. It's kind of annoying tbh.

Moreover, stupid psys are stupid and aren't OP unless they're insanely geared to the point that it doesn't matter anymore. Throw enough cash at this game and anything/anyone can become OP.

As for wizards. . .they're fun in TW. They were fun also fun when RB/GV gamma were still relevant, but those days are long gone.
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wizards are useful, they are awesome. They also tend to die often. They become power houses late, so early and mid game can be problematic. They are fun and rewarding though, just don't expect and easy ride.

wizards are useful, --> you can always replace a wiz by another class that does the same job sometimes even better than the wiz so no

they are awesome --> yes their game mechancis are awesome and the concept is great unfortunately compared to the other classes they are maybe more fun but less effective

also tend to die often --> completely wrong unless you talk about pvp because in pve wiz hardly have mobs later on that are a real prob and even on bosses their defenses are high enough to give them survivability ( dont start a discussion here about the costs to raise the defenses high enough)

they become power houses late --> dmg of wiz is overrated especially endgame think about what powerhouse means because even if a wiz can do relatively high dmg with 1 hit a aps class has done 5 hits in that time so it doesnt matter so while you with your wiz do 2-3 hits the aps char has already killed the boss - who's the powerhouse?

they are fun --> true
    and rewarding though --> what's the reward ? always being at best 2nd pick for a squad? being one of the most expensive classes in game ?

To be honest i would suggest to spend your money on a sin or bm as main char because they also are fun to play open up huge possiblities for solo play + make it easy to grind for money. Later on you can still set money aside for your wiz to have fun with the char because wiz with bad stuff = very limited fun since then you will only experience the negative sides of the class

greetz harm0wnie
  • Darko_ - Dreamweaver
    Darko_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wizards don't have a lot of money.
    Wizards can grind mobs like pros.
    Yes you steal aggro like a lot of DD characters, but if you know what you're doing you can control aggro/escape aggro and still be able to DD and survive.
    Wizards are badass if you can pull it off
    Wizards are rare
    Wizards are fun
    Wizards suck at pvp until late game, then they even out and become average.
    Take a rest with the "Wizards in TW," people get tired of hearing about it.

PvE

BM - can DD, tank, stun, survive. you can do one of those + steal aggro.
    Barb - Barb tanks and will be trying to keep aggro
    Veno - can DD, amp, and pull, and tank. you can do one of those + steal aggro.
    Archer - can DD at super range out of AOE.
    Cleric - Cleric can heal. Cleric will always have an eye on you because you can steal aggro and die instantly
    Sin - can out DD you period, but cannot DD with AOE bosses and may die more than you.
    Psy - can out DD you period.
    Seeker - they replace you with super damage vortex and can actually survive aggro. They can pve debuff and tank. you can one of those + die.
    Mystic - they can heal and support like a boss, dd, and pull. you can do one of those things + steal aggro.

PvP

BM - you can kill these like flys... later
    Barb - this is your job to kill
    Veno - their pet will oneshot you
    Archer - 3 to 4 shots at most, less than that in seconds. you can one shot but gl getting the first shot
    Cleric - ehh hard to tell. gl with plume shot.
    Sin - just press release corpse, there's nothing you can do
    Psy - idk
    Seeker - they gonna range you but you can kill these like annoying flys... later
    Mystic - see psy / veno
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    NO.

/+1tomyposts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Wizards don't have a lot of money. Any class can have money
    Wizards can grind mobs like pros. We kite like pro's, we don't really grind that fast
    Yes you steal aggro like a lot of DD characters, but if you know what you're doing you can control aggro/escape aggro and still be able to DD and survive. Know what you're doing? It's not that hard, just stop attacking...
    Wizards are badass if you can pull it off And most people can't
    Wizards are rare true. We're rare for a reason though...
    Wizards are fun Depends who you ask
    Wizards suck at pvp until late game, then they even out and become average. Says the 5x sin? Sins don't know anything about PvP, hence them rolling a sin
    Take a rest with the "Wizards in TW," people get tired of hearing about it. It's all we got going for us, so deal with it

PvE

BM - can DD, tank, stun, survive. you can do one of those + steal aggro. why is stealing aggro a good thing...?
    Barb - Barb tanks and will be trying to keep aggro okay...
    Veno - can DD, amp, and pull, and tank. you can do one of those + steal aggro. Venos steal aggro? Didn't know that
    Archer - can DD at super range out of AOE. Wizards have same range as Archers. And what Aoe?
    Cleric - Cleric can heal. Cleric will always have an eye on you because you can steal aggro and die instantly lolwut. Clerics are hardly concerned about saving a wizard stupid enough to steal aggro
    Sin - can out DD you period, but cannot DD with AOE bosses and may die more than you. Sounds like you fail as a sin
    Psy - can out DD you period. In red voodoo sure, but they'll get one shot
    Seeker - they replace you with super damage vortex and can actually survive aggro. They can pve debuff and tank. you can one of those + die. true for the most part. Don't know what that last sentence was supposed to mean...
    Mystic - they can heal and support like a boss, dd, and pull. you can do one of those things + steal aggro. never seen a mystic steal aggro. They are good as backup support though

PvP

BM - you can kill these like flys... later true, as long as they don't stun lock you
    Barb - this is your job to kill in TW yeah, but it's hard to do
    Veno - their pet will oneshot you if your gear is decent, no it won't. And the pet can be easily killed
    Archer - 3 to 4 shots at most, less than that in seconds. you can one shot but gl getting the first shot Why couldn't a wiz get the first shot? We have same range, plus FoW channels faster than archer stun.
    Cleric - ehh hard to tell. gl with plume shot. Plume shot is a joke endgame. Sleep>BT>profit
    Sin - just press release corpse, there's nothing you can do True sometimes, but there's so many fail sins that a good wiz can stand a chance
    Psy - idk Psys usually **** our face with endgame gear/refines
    Seeker - they gonna range you but you can kill these like annoying flys... later they're idiots if they range us. That's them doing mag damage on our robes, while we do mag damage to their HA. Seeker=BM minus the control skills
    Mystic - see psy / veno Not sure tbh. Haven't seen any good mystics in PvP

Responses in red.

You really have almost no idea what you're saying, leave our forums
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    youre a wizard, you have to use your brain to make coins
    not your fists

uhm whatever, this class sucks since -intervall gear became common
    likewise i see clerics becoming non relevant thanks to BP

...wizards dont really die in pve, defenses are high and unless youre afk you can outheal most stuff xd
    the only problem is that **** *** DPS
    wizards aint squishie
    mystics, clerics, venos, archers, psychics
    those are squishie >.<

i have fun on this char, as useless as it might be

although lvling a stabbie-fishie and a bardmaster to not just stand next to Auction House all day
    i like potato
  • Darko_ - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Responses in red.

You really have almost no idea what you're saying, leave our forums

I'm pretty sure you knew I wasn't talking about endgame, but maybe I should of specified.
    Now re-read Chardenelle's post and see if you're response was appropriate.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you knew I wasn't talking about endgame, but maybe I should of specified.
    I've heard that Wizards become dead endgame, but I'd like to confirm this. b:sad

You don't need to, because OP did. He specifically asked if we were useful endgame, therefore any responses can be taken as responses to that question.

Now re-read Chardenelle's post and see if you're response was appropriate.

My responses applied to endgame and early/mid game
  • Darko_ - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh right, true dat.
  • Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide
    Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i honestly don't know about end game, but at the level i'm at its a blast!

when i was doing bh51 it was basicly me and a bm doing all of the dding. the cleric kept on the bm because he was doing the job the barb should have been doing.. except a little better then he would have been able to do it. while i cut the kill time of every mob by more then in half.

a well played wizard and a well played bm is a pretty good pve style force to be considered, and its very satisfying when we both manage to pull our respective dragons out on a group of mobs at the same timeb:chuckle
    patience is a virtue
  • skysing
    skysing Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Is it worth it to invest time and money into a Wizard? I started playing the class a few days ago for fun after getting bored with my main character.
    It was pretty fun. I think I'd enjoy playing a Wizard for a while, but are Wizards still useful? I don't really have a lot of money to invest in a Wizard, but I'd enjoy playing one.

Wizard is an expensive class and challenging to wield. End game pve wizard is pretty much dead. But in single or group pvp/tw they are good.
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    skysing wrote: »
    Wizard is an expensive class and challenging to wield. End game pve wizard is pretty much dead. But in [deleted] group pvp/tw they are good.

This (fixed it for you)
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I am bad and think everyone is just as bad as me.

This (fixed it for you)
  • Mortal_Kiss - Heavens Tear
    Mortal_Kiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Main problem for wizards is unable to make coins due lack of squads. So no coins=no gear=squishy=no fun=dead wizards at end of game.
    But this is just because of dev. stupidity. They killed wizards in this game.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i wanna make babies with BLOODMYSTIC b:dirty
    i like potato
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This (fixed it for you)

This (fixed it for you)
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options

sins are obv the exception, I guess I should have added that (again). Wizards do just fine against the other 9 classes though imo.
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I watched that video a few nights ago. Not a bad wizard, considering he was fighting Cheze, who has an anti wiz genie.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I watched that video a few nights ago. Not a bad wizard, considering he was fighting Cheze, who has an anti wiz genie.

he has an anti-everything genie.. with 8 skill slots he has something for nearly every situation.
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ah..thought he was rich enough to have a genie for every class he 1v1ed b:chuckle
  • Arenaceous - Lost City
    Arenaceous - Lost City Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Even tho I did not expect something else, this is pretty depressing. Especially after you told me for how much Questro is hitting cheze lol. The fights feel like a nv sin fighting a wiz in HH90 gear. And Questro is probably the best geared wizard on the server. This game is screwed up. How the heck is cheze able to time his fire immune skill on every single WotP? That guy is something else ijs...
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Even tho I did not expect something else, this is pretty depressing. Especially after you told me for how much Questro is hitting cheze lol. The fights feel like a nv sin fighting a wiz in HH90 gear. And Questro is probably the best geared wizard on the server. This game is screwed up. How the heck is cheze able to time his fire immune skill on every single WotP? That guy is something else ijs...

whats worse is that he was using a chill for those fights (to mess around), he doesn't use chill when he's being serious. DPH sins are just as deadly as int sins (imo), but have far more survivability. Looking at Rinc, he's still able to kill anything on the server, but he is able to use full r9, and more balanced ornaments for much higher survivability and atk lvl. So cheze was using DPH without the extra survivability/damage that a true DPH sin would get.. its just sad to think how a sin can handicap himself (in two ways.. both in build and not using stealth) and still take down an end game mage that is actually good at his class.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Worth it depends on your goals. If you want a class that you don't have to be very active playing, then a wiz is nice. You can either play lazy or multibox/task nice with a wiz.

What was your main character? If it's melee, there are many other options for casters such as veno, cleric, mystic, psychic which seem better choices for ambitious focused players. The game is overloaded with lazy / fail veno & clerics though (mostly veno) so if you're slow mentally, a lazy gamer or just like multiboxiing; a wiz could be for you. Cleric is a great option for multiboxing too though.

I have no problem getting my wiz into BH100 (other than TT), or FBs. I don't even bother trying for Nirvana or much else. I don't really like playing the wiz much as I strongly prefer cleric and veno for casters. (Don't have any psys or mystics myself).

Every class is going to have their niches. I don't see the melee crowd in the OHT maps for instance, but there are plenty of venos. Wizzies had a good foot in RB, but Seekers blow them away at it. It doesn't seem like Wiz's have any strong points anymore.

In regards to money, Wiz is one of the cheapest classes to play. Barely needs pots, no expensive pets, cheap skills, very low repairs, no ammo cost, etc.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • RSully - Heavens Tear
    RSully - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I feel pretty confident that rolling a wizard first (against common advice, yeah I know) has made me a better player overall. We can talk all day about how our class has become yesterday's cool toy and it's pretty much true. There is a sense of pride given how many players have a forgotten a 20 or below wizard and went on to another class. The skills I learned(kiting/survivability esp) as a wizard has made rolling any other class so far a breeze.

Wizard is still my favorite because I love the o.o's when I do something great in-game because most people forget/underestimate what a wizard is capable of in the right situation. So definitely keep playing your wizard but it will be better if you enjoy it for the gameplay and mechanics and not for oppressive domination of other classes.
    "Speak softly, carry a big Crit"

--Teddy Wizevelt
  • Arganoth - Lost City
    Arganoth - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You've got to have something in your brain which causes you to enjoy a constant uphill battle, if you want to roll a wizard.

I do, which is why after being one of the "longest-playing" wizards on the server I am still level 90 ^^.
  • Minimus_ - Sanctuary
    Minimus_ - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Music: good - Wizards fate: bad
    Middle lane, middle lane.. b:shutup
This discussion has been closed.