So, that cleric/barb extinction thing

Options
Renza - Raging Tide
Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
It makes me wonder, as much as I enjoy playing my mystic, with it still being something new, a fairly easy grind in pve etc and not to bad in the bit of pvp I've done with it, I just think that going back onto this cleric wouldn't be to bad an idea, there still needed for so many things and after this expansion especially, the shortage is just insane especially with barbs.

I mainly notice when I'm trying to get an FC squad, I come back from work to try fit in 1 FC on a day and sometimes I can't even do that, getting 1 is a miracle, of course if I was on my cleric, I wouldn't ever have trouble getting into a squad, problem is I'm fairly bored of my cleric as like I said I'm enjoying the mystic class which is like a small dilemma.

So...what to do, what to do...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
*One week later*
"Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
*few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
Post edited by Renza - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Promivius - Dreamweaver
    Promivius - Dreamweaver Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    As a fellow cleric I will submit this:

Do what YOU want to do.

It's your playtime and remember it will only last as long as you like it or when PWE looses interest in it and shuts it down.
    I speak for myself. My opinions are my own.
    Assuming I speak for others is therefor void.
  • Fishlips - Harshlands
    Fishlips - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It makes me wonder, as much as I enjoy playing my mystic, with it still being something new, a fairly easy grind in pve etc and not to bad in the bit of pvp I've done with it, I just think that going back onto this cleric wouldn't be to bad an idea, there still needed for so many things and after this expansion especially, the shortage is just insane especially with barbs.

I mainly notice when I'm trying to get an FC squad, I come back from work to try fit in 1 FC on a day and sometimes I can't even do that, getting 1 is a miracle, of course if I was on my cleric, I wouldn't ever have trouble getting into a squad, problem is I'm fairly bored of my cleric as like I said I'm enjoying the mystic class which is like a small dilemma.

your right about barbs but also cleric are hard to fine if pwi would give us in a pvp server a pick of blue or white name tags most of us would take blue. when i start this game i didnt know what a pvp or pve was.b:surrender
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I totally get how you feel, I come home from work, open up a beer and PRAY for just one FC run before my play-time runs out and I have to do something else. It's DIFFICULT finding a cleric, not to mention a barb...Two hours+ of searching for a 30 minute run...it's pathetic.

Edit: I forgot to add that IF my squad finds a barb eventually, I try my hardest to make him/her feel comfortable by telling him to set his own rules for everything he/she does in a particular run. Happy barbs are more likely to run with you again if treated very nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Feels good to be a part of a dying class. b:chuckleb:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • PhoenixHeal - Harshlands
    PhoenixHeal - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Barbs And Clerics 4eva!
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i play rather my veno then my cleric, tho its hardER to find a squad for her then on my cleric i never had a problem to get into one tho. they realise pretty fast that you are exp. and take you on a second run right after as well...my FL is full with people at my level range. Do your own squad.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Okopogo - Harshlands
    Okopogo - Harshlands Posts: 751 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Barbs are cool. Its why im rerolling a bm.
  • Jhalil - Heavens Tear
    Jhalil - Heavens Tear Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Go away you fake barb! D:
    Go put on your axes and kill stuff! b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to move your cursor, eh?
  • Lytemoskada - Heavens Tear
    Lytemoskada - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    *puts auto-resurrect on remaining barbs and clerics*
    Don't die! Whatever you do don't die!b:cry

Today's random bear: b:sad.
  • HellWariorB - Raging Tide
    HellWariorB - Raging Tide Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

yea it does

well many old barbs now play a DD alt or feel bored/hate the repair cost to continue for all the other barbs keep it going b:cute
  • _Spot_ - Lost City
    _Spot_ - Lost City Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You people do know that you can do Fcs with two bms or even with one if he is pro....

Most my fcs on this sin were with a puller bm even sins did it.....
  • Tearle - Dreamweaver
    Tearle - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You people do know that you can do Fcs with two bms or even with one if he is pro....

Most my fcs on this sin were with a puller bm even sins did it.....

Not just that, I've done fc where an arcane wizard pulled the entire thing because the barb was being a diva and the wizard said "heal me!" before I had time to volunteer. No one died that entire run, and he the least amount of hp in the squad.

HA/La venos can do it, and we've had psychics do it before too. b:dirty
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If ppl don't play barbs/clerics anymore, it's cause they feel replaced except for those few things. Played a barb a long time, got a 90s cleric and this sin. I experienced the difference on endgame (100+). Barb = ppl love you on delta/metal day, but will barely get a vana invite. Sin = get invites all the time for any instance. Go figure why there are so few still out there lol.

With shortage of barbs and clerics, just got to adapt and learn to do without them. I never got why ppl wait 2h to find a barb for a 30min fcc rather then looking 5min to do a 45min run without barb. At 90+ who needs a barb or a cleric that bad for fcc anyway. Did most runs without barb. Even did quite some runs without cleric (before mystics even were out).
  • Chickpea - Lost City
    Chickpea - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    New classes can easily replace cleric and barb in FC. Seekers seems to be the new pulling class in Frost for example. Ive seen them pull easily, already at 8X.

If you can survive without the reduction from BB, a Mystic spamming party heal and summoning a healing herb, will work just as good as a cleric for the pulls.

But i guess nothing beats a barb/cleric since you get buffs :D
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I totally get how you feel, I come home from work, open up a beer and PRAY for just one FC run before my play-time runs out and I have to do something else. It's DIFFICULT finding a cleric, not to mention a barb...Two hours+ of searching for a 30 minute run...it's pathetic.

Edit: I forgot to add that IF my squad finds a barb eventually, I try my hardest to make him/her feel comfortable by telling him to set his own rules for everything he/she does in a particular run. Happy barbs are more likely to run with you again if treated very nice.

I sincerely hope that the two hours of searching and waiting you are talking about above was for a cleric only because 8 out of 10 FC runs happening nowadays is without a Barb.

Due to the apparent scarcity of the furry ones, BMs and (now) Seekers have been getting a LOT of experience doing pulls and have gotten quite good at it too. As for bosses... just about everyone and their Grand Ma can tank them in FCC.

But yeah... some kind of healer is still mandatory for all but high aps classes in FC. A cleric is still first choice (can't beat the buffs :-) ) but I did a couple of runs over the weekend with only a mystic in squad and both times it went really well. We were all in our 90's though and all able to take a hit or two. A squad in their 80s on the other hand may suffer a bit without the Damage reduction from cleric's BB.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Someone was talking about me?
    b:cool
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    my son, who is a barb in his mid 70s, has pretty much pulled out of the game, because of how hard it is to get anyone to squad with. he has played this as long as i have-since nearly the beginning, and is just as disheartened by how the barb and veno seem to be dissed by those assembling squads for BHs,FBs, whatever, in favour of anyone with claws and high DPS.

there is a major problem going on here: the fact that people are looking for only one thing-doing the instance as fast as possible, and not taking time to simply enjoy the game. a good comparison would be speed chess vs traditional play. yeah, people get a kick out of a few rounds of speed, but the game that gets played the most is the original form. well, seems to me that people here have discovered a 'speed chess' way of playing PWI,, but its not as relaxing or fun as the original form. and wining everything....when i first started, people had a saying about players who insisted on wine 'wine is for whiners'. in other words, real players go for the whole enchilada, cleaning out the dungeon on their own, with the skills, getting the drops and coin, and in general having more fun, than an "Indy 500" run through Wraith,FC or whatever.

my son and i, ok, we're 'oldtimers', and play the game as it was originally set up. kind of like that old TV commercial for a bank:"We make money the old-fashioned way: We EARN it"

yea it does

well many old barbs now play a DD alt or feel bored/hate the repair cost to continue for all the other barbs keep it going b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Mortal_Kiss - Heavens Tear
    Mortal_Kiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

b:chuckleb:chuckleb:chuckle
    Welcome between us. (my main is 101 wizy) Now you can see how big problem is for magic classes to get into squad. That's why I reroll.
  • SinfuINature - Harshlands
    SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    if i was a 101 barb i wouldnt roll a new class unless i was bored... i would just adapt and become a 4 aps barb and say **** tanking all togeher... if i pulled aggro then so be it... however your damage would not be great unless you refined like mad lol

btw i was a lvl 80 barb on RT server... i enjoy playing on HL and being a sin 100x better
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    if i was a 101 barb i wouldnt roll a new class unless i was bored... i would just adapt and become a 4 aps barb

"Adapting" isn't the right word Fuzzy doesn't think for those barbs who choose to equip a set of claws.

Don't mean to talk off OP's topic, but how is it good for the barbarian class to "adapt' and get APS when it comes at the expense of then not being able to use any other skill expect chi spark, and the expense of our hp pool??
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    One would assume that tigers would use claws and not axes in a battle.

Then again, one would also assume that people cannot double jump over buildings, so I guess that's a moot point.
  • SinfuINature - Harshlands
    SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    "Adapting" isn't the right word Fuzzy doesn't think for those barbs who choose to equip a set of claws.

Don't mean to talk off OP's topic, but how is it good for the barbarian class to "adapt' and get APS when it comes at the expense of then not being able to use any other skill expect chi spark, and the expense of our hp pool??

i think the way to fix the prob would be for pwi to allow barbs to use claws and still have thier skills (also add Fist/Claw Weapon Mastery for more DD) ...

barb need to just say **** the hp pool and all thier skills and just DD (i sitll think it can be effective as just DD and if then need to tank just put axes on)...

barbs need to roll a sin or bm or another class... (i would just go with aps and keep my barb)

i personally would take one 4-5aps barb and one 4-5aps bm over two 4-5 aps bm's simply for the buffs...
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Not just that, I've done fc where an arcane wizard pulled the entire thing because the barb was being a diva and the wizard said "heal me!" before I had time to volunteer. No one died that entire run, and he the least amount of hp in the squad.

HA/La venos can do it, and we've had psychics do it before too. b:dirty

hell at 94, if you die "pulling" an FC run - something is wrong. ANY class can run through mobs and come back to BB. But not all classes (gear depending) can actually aggro the mobs before returning to bubble. IMO its not pulling if you don't get aggro first - and if the squad doesn't care if you get aggro first, then any class can do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Tearle - Dreamweaver
    Tearle - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    hell at 94, if you die "pulling" an FC run - something is wrong. ANY class can run through mobs and come back to BB. But not all classes (gear depending) can actually aggro the mobs before returning to bubble. IMO its not pulling if you don't get aggro first - and if the squad doesn't care if you get aggro first, then any class can do it.

I'm not sure if you're implying that I didn't want to pull or died, but that's not what happened. Sorry for mis-wording myself.

I'm always prepared to pull when I go into an fc. The barb was having a fit with the cleric on where to put BB and the wizard got fed up and pulled. I'm not saying it's not possible for other classes, i've just never seen a wizard do it. He pulled the entire "exp" big room at once which, well i've never seen an arcane do.

I would have happily pulled if he decided to stop after the first hall, but he was confident enough to finish and did so without any deaths.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're implying that I didn't want to pull or died, but that's not what happened. Sorry for mis-wording myself.

I'm always prepared to pull when I go into an fc. The barb was having a fit with the cleric on where to put BB and the wizard got fed up and pulled. I'm not saying it's not possible for other classes, i've just never seen a wizard do it. He pulled the entire "exp" big room at once which, well i've never seen an arcane do.

I would have happily pulled if he decided to stop after the first hall, but he was confident enough to finish and did so without any deaths.

i certainly wasnt implying that you didnt wan't to - i was pointing out that at that level range, pulling FC isn't very hard to do. If you're wearing up to level gear, the mobs shouldn't be hitting you very hard. Pulling the physical mobs such as the big room is actually quite easy, just run around them within aggro range and you don't even get hit - the magical hallways are pretty easily pulled by an arcane class IMO due to their higher magical defenses. With alpha male you can at least break the heal aggro so the cleric doesn't get pwnd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Lupumid - Sanctuary
    Lupumid - Sanctuary Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i think the way to fix the prob would be for pwi to allow barbs to use claws and still have thier skills (also add Fist/Claw Weapon Mastery for more DD) ...
    That's not really fixing anything, its just feeding the fire.

barb need to just say **** the hp pool and all thier skills and just DD (i sitll think it can be effective as just DD and if then need to tank just put axes on)...
    How long have you been playing? Barbs were never intended to DD, they're role was and still is to tank. The evolution of a fist barb, is so a barb can go back to his intended job.

barbs need to roll a sin or bm or another class... (i would just go with aps and keep my barb)
    What?

i personally would take one 4-5aps barb and one 4-5aps bm over two 4-5 aps bm's simply for the buffs...

I'd rather two 5aps sins.

b:embarrass
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    @Lupimid: a 5.0 Barb in squad with a 5.0 BM and 5.0 sin, all with equivalent gear, wouldn't be tanking 100% anyways - he would still be a DD. Sin would be tanking, with BM falling second in DD output, followed by the barb.

as for farming - I'd take a BM + Sin over 2 Sins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Lupumid - Sanctuary
    Lupumid - Sanctuary Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    @Lupumid: a 5.0 Barb in squad with a 5.0 BM and 5.0 sin, all with equivalent gear, wouldn't be tanking 100% anyways - he would still be a DD. Sin would be tanking, with BM falling second in DD output, followed by the barb.

as for farming - I'd take a BM + Sin over 2 Sins

I'm well aware he won't be tanking, i never said it succeeded, just said it happened that way.

Why not just take 4 sins, a BM and a barb?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

well, hello FC generation
    i had some total fail barb (lvl100) in delta (supposedly full) "pulling" without using skills
    "Just like FC" here you go!

RAGE lol

after ticking for ages and no improvement and questions like "whats sunder?"
    i decided imma not use that Expel now
    Frenzy is much better- OH 1k!

great, now i wanna do FC on wiz too- and i wanted 102 with only cube and mq
    i like potato
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    my son and i, ok, we're 'oldtimers', and play the game as it was originally set up.

Not quite sure how to word my response, so I will try to do so as pleasantly as possible; so I am sorry if it comes across as crude and abrasive.

I have been playing this game for just as long as you have; I have two level 100+ characters and a level 91 one. The first two I leveled, and played, the "old fashioned" way, the third got 91 in just a matter of days. I can completely understand some individuals not enjoying the way that everyone seems to want to do things as fast as possible, but personally, I get more enjoyment out of doing as much as possible in as little time as needed. The more that I can accomplish in a day means the more money I can make; and with that money, the more I can improve my skills and gear sets. In fact, the only character I actually need to work on is my level 91 Seeker, the other two are done aside from a few refines here and there.

So, needless to say, if whatever instance I run takes longer than I had expected, my enjoyment for the time being is ruined. Granted things do happen from time to time that can be out of our hands, but if the time that it takes to finish is increased because of someone's lack of ability to perform, then yes I am quite unhappy.

So, if you and your son, are feeling disheartened because the majority of the players left on PWI want to spend their time the most effective way possible, you are left with two choices: either adapt to the game or let the negativity eat at you until you quit. Trust me when I say that adapting isn't always the most like-able option. I was perfectly happy being an Axe BM and a bow only Archer. But, I accepted that my chances of being invited to the higher level instances were drastically lower if I chose to remain that way. Will I go back and re-stat myself to what I use to be? Probably not; I've learned to enjoy my 15 minute Nirvana runs, 30-45 minute FF runs, 20-30 minute Abbadon/SoT/Warsong Metal runs.
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy