Should Medals of Glory be returned to DQ Rewards? [Poll]

Options
Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
Hey all, as you may have noticed, we've made some changes to the DQ system, and I wanted to go through them with you.

1: Medal of Glory removed

All items obtained to the DQ system were meant to be bound to your character; this was done to minimize their influence on the in-game economies. Unfortunately, due to an exploit that allowed players to turn untradeable Medals into tradeable Medals, we had to remove them from the DQ Rewards list.

Also, we would liked to have given more notice before removing them, but the last thing we wanted was a huge run on Medals, thus causing even more damage via the exploit, so I am sorry that it had to happen suddenly like this.

Simply put if you look at the rest of that post, I haven't seen a single person post that agrees with this decision by the gms.
Main:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alts:
Lypiphera 101 Cleric
Incompetance 100 Blademaster
MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
Post edited by Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Axelire - Heavens Tear
    Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Only PWE benefits from this change when they have a rank sale, oh lets say, after this maintenance?

Most people didn't even know about this exploit, this fix is far more damaging than the exploit itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You should know..... everyone is starting to QQ about that sudden change. >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You should know..... everyone is starting to QQ about that sudden change. >_>

we did for the TW pay and we got it back...
    so
    Yes, they fix it and we can have it back would be awesome
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    R9 becomes easy to obtain people QQ

R9 becomes hard to obtain like it should actually be, people QQ

Fail player base
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • agtiger
    agtiger Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The Exploit Does Nothing To The Economy!!!! Ppl Just BUy The Dq And Change It Themselves. The Exploit Is Just That They Dont Have To Do The Last Part, It Doesnt Change The ******* Economy Lame Pwi Gm.
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i never even used the dam exploit, i was only 3 pieces ( the armor pieces) away from full r9 dam it, i wanna gonna have it on next sale, im not gonna pay god dam 15+mil ea medal to buy it from a player
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I voted yes anyway, to the they should fix it first, not that I have any idea what that exploit does, either way the DQ merchanting wont be anywhere near effective as it used to be with the r9 badge in there, really think this should be brought back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lol there probably wont be a sale on these medals. as for the qq this game has the most qq about everything and anything possible. you name 1 thing and someone will qq about it. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Fail player base

People just don't like change, If anything changes there will most likely be some type of complain that follows with that change, then overtime people will stop complaining and deal with it.....

agtiger2 wrote: »
    The Exploit Does Nothing To The Economy!!!! Ppl Just BUy The Dq And Change It Themselves. The Exploit Is Just That They Dont Have To Do The Last Part, It Doesnt Change The ******* Economy Lame Pwi Gm.

You just want to make uber amounts of money off the exploit. That's the only reason why you didn't want it to be removed or like everyone else get cheap R9. (even though R9 is cheap anyway..)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    No, they pretty much made DQ worthless again making it harder for f2p players to farm money (ie players they pretend they care about).
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The medals weren't supposed to be easily obtained, they were supposed to be very difficult to get, never should have been added to the DQ item list in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Fail player base

Yes, when they made it easy it was a bad thing. But after making it easy removing it being easy becomes a bad thing because it gives those who were able to take advantage the first time a more permanent advantage.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • Chuck_N - Lost City
    Chuck_N - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    All this change does is benefit the people who exploited it. I know a person who has over 400 medals. Before the change they were selling for ~8m each. Now they are selling for 25m each.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Ok, if the MEDAL OF GLORY exploit is known about. Then does this mean that because PWI knows about the "5 APS Exploit" and its overpowered-ness they can fix this as well?. b:laugh

Not to say "I told you so" but I'd say that is a 'fair' trade-off.
    Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    5 aps is not an exploit at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Simply put if you look at the rest of that post, I haven't seen a single person post that agrees with this decision by the gms.

I have to be the one who is difficult, don't I? b:shocked
    Which would be a great way to mitigate the sudden inflation that would otherwise happen, yes. I've stated my feelings about rank sales and such before, but this is an instance where they may be justified.

Because it's trivial for a player to make this item which is meant to be non-tradeable into a tradeable item. I know of no quests to make the other items available into tradeable forms. Am I missing something?

I don't see them going through the pain of making items "permanently untradeable, period" over this. It's more likely they'll show up in the Event Boutique soonish.

Speaking of adding them to the Event Boutique, it's been stated a number of times that they'll be overhauling it soon. So, if they were to just move them in there tonight, they'd have even MORE people QQing because nothing else got changed in it...

They can't win this one, but they handled it as gracefully as they could (so far) without enabling people to flood the market with them. We'll see what the sale is, and for once I hope it's a rank sale.

(something's lost without seeing the quote i'm replying to, alas...)
    (For those not familiar with the proper way to handle something being exploited, they did it the correct way: mitigate then disclose. If your house's front door had a broken lock, would you put a big sign up that the lock's busted and the locksmith is coming in the morning and take off to see a movie?)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver
    _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I have to be the one who is difficult, don't I? b:shocked

(something's lost without seeing the quote i'm replying to, alas...)

DQ points are traded by selling dq, therefore medals would have been tradable through dq points. Thats how it doesn't make sense. Exploit or not it, didn't make a difference. They are prohibiting us from getting medals at all now. None of this had to do with fixing any exploit.
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    DQ points are traded by selling dq, therefore medals would have been tradable through dq points. Thats how it doesn't make sense. Exploit or not it, didn't make a difference. They are prohibiting us from getting medals at all now. None of this had to do with fixing any exploit.
    Note: All items listed above, if sent, will be bound to your character. They cannot be traded to other players or dropped.

Tell me how finding a way around the item being bound isn't an exploit, again? That text has been there; it wasn't just added today.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver
    _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Tell me how finding a way around the item being bound isn't an exploit, again? That text has been there; it wasn't just added today.

Are you dense? I made all the medals for my r9 wep and ring by buying dq. Hence I made medals by way of trade. There may have very well been an exploit but it didn't affect anything, until now. It does now that they removed medals from dq. Cause the "exploiters" are now selling the 400+ they already made. If PWI some how made all medals untradable it would have fixed the exploit. But as it stands now they rewarded exploiters.. GG PWI
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    A large percent of those QQing don't even care how easy or hard it is to get rank 9.

They are QQing because now its back to Nirvana, TT, and catshopping to get coin instead of being able to maket dq items that they earned playing the game the way they want i.e. questing, grinding, generally helping other people to people that can't be bothered to stop farming instances or are a perma catshop to go out and earn dq items themselves.

Perhaps its not as easily profitable as spamming aps to sell nirv mats to shops, but the other 8 classes besides sin/bm like to feel useful on occasion.

If they don't put the medal back (I don't care about getting rank 9 currently on any of my toons because I don't pvp anyways) then I hope they at least add something that people would actually want about as much. Like a special mount or something that is only obtainable that way.

Like with the sage/demon tiger mount/pets and celestial insignias. Which is another market they killed off when they gave everyone free fash and offered the mounts to heavy cashshoppers for free with zen purchase.

That is the other reason people are QQing. Everyone knows that as long as dq items are still tradable that the reason they claim to have removed medals is complete BS. It only cuts out people that don't want to buy them from the boutique pure and simple. Such transparency in their motive being presented as something that needed to be done to "fix" the economy like no one will call you on it just turned otherwise indifferent people against you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Options

View Poll Results: Should Medals of Glory be returned as a DQ Reward option?
    Yes, the exploit wasn't a bad thing. 31 50.82%
    Yes, but they should figure out a fix for the exploit first. 27 44.26%
    It looks like the "Ayes" have it so far. I think I wrote this in a post a while ago.

That when doing game development we should live to add features to the existing game instead of TRYING TO FIX problems we've known about forever and a day. If it is "A PROBLEM then you make it better by 'adding to it' and turning it into a FEATURE not stuffing it up

Another example of things done right:
    http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4721&p=2

This is Team Fortress 2 demonstrating beta testing; and if TF2 (Robin Walker and Valve Software) ever **** up they fix it faster than you can say 'ripped off' they even accept community input which is a very big change from most development companies -- making it a more open ended approach. I won't say PWI should be like Team Fortress 2, but I will say -- Valve software are doing quite a few things right.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
  • Wunderkind - Dreamweaver
    Wunderkind - Dreamweaver Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Their problem was the DQ Rewards Code was all them, but the gaming code is all Chine. They are not allowed to edit the chinese code that is given to them unless they get permission. For whatever the reason was, the DQ Medals of Glory were stored in there database as the same exact item as the ones you bought from the cashshop awhile ago. When stacking the game code saw them as the same thing (even though they originally had different attributes of being tradeable). So when they stacked it simply counted them up and changed them to tradeable.

To fix this they will have to get the chinese devs to redo some of the database and other things to stop the people glitching.
    Currently: pwcalc.com/b4c92dacf1da8c21
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Fail player base

More accurate would be R9 hard to obtain people QQ because some people got it easy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Epros - Raging Tide
    Epros - Raging Tide Posts: 1,720 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It only cuts out people that don't want to buy them from the boutique pure and simple.

show me where they are in the boutique. r9 is damn near impossible to get now. it should have always been like this, but as stated some of us already have r9.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amandisha74
    amandisha74 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So long as we are on the subject of Caring bout cheaters.

How bout we crack down on the merchants that have 15 faking kitties set up? hugh wait there cash shoppers? oh fak didn't know lets just leave them alone.

Seriously is it fair that merchant can just set up 15 kitties and then go off and play while the ones who play by the rules get ***'ed. another example of the worst company in history. and you are destin to fail.. GOOD.

Last game I will ever play from you miserable cowards.

I will let every game review site on the planet know it too.
  • MagicEmpress - Lost City
    MagicEmpress - Lost City Posts: 795 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

100% correct.
    Medals = DQ pts = DQ items which are tradable.
    It's silly to close down the DQ medals.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well, without medals of glory, DQs are pretty much back to their normal price.

Unless you think people would buy masses of DQs just to get the event card for cheaper Tienkangs/Tishas and I don't see that happening.

So that means that grinding is pretty much back to being worthless.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well, without medals of glory, DQs are pretty much back to their normal price.

Unless you think people would buy masses of DQs just to get the event card for cheaper Tienkangs/Tishas and I don't see that happening.

So that means that grinding is pretty much back to being worthless.

Yes and hence not ADDING FEATURE to the game. Just blunting the handle of the axe.

What we want to do is ADD FEATURES to the existing thing.
    We want players to STILL SELL DQ and have that option so it means we need to expand what the website sells. Maybe we could sell DQ Gold/Silver and Browns?. Although some of the molds from that are rare it would still take 'a while' to achieve enough Gold/Silver/Bronze Dragon orders to get the item. But then we'd **** with the DQ quest system. Still it is adding to the player's experience.

I'd like to show you ANOTHER good example of great design practice. In TF2 back in 2009 a guy designed an 'idling program' to get the weapon/hat drops in/from TF2 this was post humourously fixed by the Team Fortress 2 team.

In some ways TF2 is also a Free-to-play MMORPG but in other ways not really. It also has a 'CASH SHOP' but the difference between here and there is that. The cash shop serves as no 'advantage' to players. The CS in TF2 only gives you the items you can already craft in TF2 or get from just playing in the game.

The Cheater's Lament is a headwear item available to all classes. It appears as a glowing, golden halo attached to the wearer's head by two wires. It was awarded on the 2nd of September 2009 to all players who had not used external idling programs. As such, it is not obtainable through the regular item drop system nor acquired through crafting.

http://www.tf2wiki.net/wiki/Cheater%27s_lament

Just this is the sort of ironic thing I'd like to see here. But guess not, cause then I'd be asking to much.

b i t . l y /
  • Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    More accurate would be R9 hard to obtain people QQ because some people got it easy

ahh well, cant wait for Guild Wars 2; should be not to long now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Options

Perfect Stone
    Used for making Weapon Charms, repairing Shattered Gear, and replenishing your Aerogear's Acceleration or your Genie's Stamina

Hardly anyone uses weapon charms to they'd only use them for Runecrafting anyway, which some people thought in earlier posts was under powered. They don't give you 'enough' Perfect Stones from this purchase they only give you 1 so there isn't much point there and you might as well just get in an Frost City party cause the chances are usually better from the "FC Chest anyway" of getting 100 Perfect Stones.

Once again you only get 1 PERFECT STONE. So its hardly positive.

Mysterious Chip
    Collect to trade special items at Mysterious Merchant's

Well they have enough token sales/rank sales to not worry about this option. 300 or so is great in the early stages of the game if you want to get a mold from the Mysterious Merchant but at ONE CHIP per 100 DQ you might as well buy that mold and then when you're done with it past it on to someone else for coin.

Once again you only get 1 MYSTERIOUS CHIP. So its hardly worth it.

Do-all Card
    Can be used to trade for Robber Card and Bully Card in Cube of Fate

Hopefully this will encourage people to go into the Cube of Fate. -- Slightly positive. You can use them in the Cube Of Fate and eventually maybe harvest your level 99 skill books and maybe enough Old Book Pages for the other set of books. Still it costs a fair bit (try 150k+ per room to get the *actual* rooms beyond Room 50 so its sort of a questionable item

Random Pigment
    Take it to a seamstress to dye your clothes a random color

Really only useful -- If you like fashion and its easier to get the colour you'd want anyway.

Makeover Scroll
    Item for modifying a character's appearance

If you want to change your look every 5 seconds, have a ingame boyfriend/girlfriend whatever or people keep saying your character is ugly

Wraith Officer's Badge
    Take this to the Commander-in-Chief to gain 25 Reputation

The only positive thing about this thing is that you can get reputation when the reputation sales aren't on.

Cerberus Pup Egg
    Hatch at a Pet Manager

Another Pet -- at the con of taking up more space 'in your pet bag' just to look good. So only good for people who actually want to collect pets.

Pillar Pet Egg
    Hatch at a Pet Manager

Same as the Cerberus Pup Egg... to look 'different'

Demon/Sage Event Card
    Redeemable for 50 Event Points from the PW Boutique Agent

Slightly only good if you want the green or silver charms anyway, most people would buy the platinum charms, they tend to last longer. I suppose its good for Tisha Stones and the like unless you want a mount you can't "trade" -- Oh but wait I wonder if they fixed that same problem PWI did with the medals with the 'ground mounts' they have in the cash shop. b:laugh

Makes you wonder -- Hmm. If I've missed anything let me know.

b i t . l y /