2011 Wizard's Guide

Options
2»

Comments

• Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    See Zhadi's post and you'll understand. Maybe.

Of course not. Because only the best and brightest play on lost city, right? [reels her in . . . ]

Tell that to Calvin. I think he is on lost city, no?

Why I hate him? Really?

He trolls a guide before it is even written, and I hate him?

Every comment he makes to anyone not on LC server is generally in the form of "If you knew anything, you would know . . . ." and "being on a pve server, you probably don't realize . . . ."

He CONSTANTLY doesn't read a post carefully, then claims you say you like apples and that apples are for losers. Meanwhile, you said you hated apples.

And I don't hate anyone, actually. I LOVE to reveal self-centered, arrogant pricks for being just that, however.

As for stopping, he had the first word in this back and forth. In fairness, you should want me to have the last and tell him to stop.

But somehow I don't see anything in your post directed at him . . . .

Oh, thats right, because lost city means never having to say your sorry . . . .

More people play off lost city than on it, by the way, so noone here has to listen to lost city people, no matter how pro you've all convinced yourselves you are.

nerd RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • HealingBliss - Lost City
    HealingBliss - Lost City Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    See Zhadi's post and you'll understand. Maybe.

Of course not. Because only the best and brightest play on lost city, right? [reels her in . . . ]

Tell that to Calvin. I think he is on lost city, no?

Why I hate him? Really?

He trolls a guide before it is even written, and I hate him?

Every comment he makes to anyone not on LC server is generally in the form of "If you knew anything, you would know . . . ." and "being on a pve server, you probably don't realize . . . ."

He CONSTANTLY doesn't read a post carefully, then claims you say you like apples and that apples are for losers. Meanwhile, you said you hated apples.

And I don't hate anyone, actually. I LOVE to reveal self-centered, arrogant pricks for being just that, however.

As for stopping, he had the first word in this back and forth. In fairness, you should want me to have the last and tell him to stop.

But somehow I don't see anything in your post directed at him . . . .

Oh, thats right, because lost city means never having to say your sorry . . . .

More people play off lost city than on it, by the way, so noone here has to listen to lost city people, no matter how pro you've all convinced yourselves you are.

You're quoting out of context again. =/ I don't care about servers there's great players on every server, xP I said that because most of the people in adroits videos are at pk spots ALOT. (The ones that haven't quit since >< ) I dont need to tell anything to calvin he's not the god of pw, he's just a really funny boy who happens to be an amazing bm =] I don't care who stops i just hope one of you does. Oh, i love apples and your post offended my snack! x.x
    Shhh don't troll, it's yulk bait.
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm glad Zhandi and Blood say the same things so I only have to read half the posts. They're too long for forum readings. But really Blood, you don't always have to be right. Hiding behind the facade of "exposing a(n) [insert generic insult here]" is getting old. Especially if you know deep inside no one is going to care about those 20+ pages of useless banter on an aborted guide.

wtb moar telomerase!! five dorra!
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Bump for being a good guide. Sticky maybe?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaceRolI - Sanctuary
    FaceRolI - Sanctuary Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    so will surge and lawbreaker would be my guess for the 2 anti/removal seal skills.

does faith not remove seal? i mean if my opponent wants to spend 160~140 energy to remove an easily spammable seal id be more then happy to make that trade. ijs I think there are 2 seal removals and 1(specific) immunity, but idk never tried it.
    full r999 91% chan wizzy b:kiss

Current build: pwcalc.com/bf1f46790766e26d
    LuLz: pwcalc.com/20f3fa96ab3c4dc0
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    2011 and leave out Warsong in favor of a much older instance that Seekers can handle better, and is mostly profitable when new classes are introduced?

Wizards are capable of doing great things in Warsong, but it requires some thought unlike mindless spark -> aps. Many squads aren't taking the time to learn faster ways and are stuck in antiquated methods like pulling runners first in Metal. Even when we pull whole groups they think they need to jump on runners to save the Regeneration Aura. If we can get past that kind of ignorance; we can claim a great position in PvE again. Melee range aggro keeps dinos from AoE'ing but that's mostly an issue if you have melee classes in squad. Most decent wizards can tank the rest of a group. Who knows what a group of wiz's all launching ulti's + Aoes on a group at the same time could do? -Those Runners die quick!

You can pull whole groups safely with Hailstorm if you have a good squad. I've seen a higher level much better geared wiz tell me it won't work (insisted on building chi for ulti), but I say they're lying because it's NEVER failed me in about a dozen runs. Hailstorm on either Dino should hit both Runners. You don't want to use an ulti if melee are in the squad because it will take longer for melee to aggro Dinos (more hard hitting AoE). I don't think there is a mage class that can't lure this way either. I've seen clerics do it with Razor Feathers, and I've done it more often on veno with Noxious Gas.

My wiz is still using Devil's Cape of Aries, Cape of Elite Leather (modest equips), and yet with Earth Shield tanked the whole first group of Earth mobs in Warsong with Dragon's Breath. -I'd love to explore Warsong Earth more sometime with wiz.

I think many don't even realize how much less mdef some bosses have than pdef, or how much lighter / slower they hit at range (with magic!). Both of the great healing classes also come with mdef debuffs, and clerics have matk buff, -ch buff (love to use this on a wiz during spark), or an additional (lower duration + more effect) matk buff (Spirit's Gift).

Declaring wiz's not good for much in PvE is locking into a dead end mindset like people who think Assassins are only good for Nirvana. Some Barbs still pull for AoE's, and btw: people are realizing that Barbs are more useful than previously thought.

Is it a good guide? It tells those of us who already understand what things like 'DPH' mean; what we already know. It mind funnels wiz's into thinking we're best for RB when we're not, PvP, and ignores other areas we can excel at. I appreciate the effort, but it's not to our advantage for this to get a sticky unless fixed. I think those that use wiz's should start exploring possibilities more like the one I saw soloing all the dragons near the end of FFC, or the ones soloing BHD when my 4aps base sage +10 6.5k HP assassin can't even do it.

Lastly, I'd lose the colors and the skill descriptions. Colors are harsh on some of us (people with Asperger's or Autism are drawn to games like this and to us: those colors are rude). We also have java based websites that handle skill descriptions much better: http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php .
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • negativereaction
    negativereaction Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    the colors made my eyes vomit a bit, but it's already a more up-to-date guide than most of the old ones that were recently unstickied.

bash Amour and Adroit for being slow studies over the past few years if you want, but at least they're contributing something productive now. make a separate thread for your trollery if you have nothing to contribute.

speaking of contributions to what's already been posted - if this is your only section on skills, you may wish to add comments on their situational utility, by which i mean things like "blade tempest is our robe-killer" (which you already have). some additional in-kind suggestions for the skills section:

- mention usefulness of the second-tier damage skills (divine pyro, glacial snare, sandstorm) during sutra combos, despite the fact that they are normally too low in damage per animation to be useful (outside of genie Spark + divine pyro, or cases of using sage glacial snare as a high-damage debuff before ice dragon).

- mention the (many, many) uses for sutra, including instant channeling ultis - and elemental shell deserves mention here since it's instant chi without having to use cloud eruption / master li's / cast a longer animation skill.

- mention usefulness of mountain press for occasionally ticking sins' deaden nerves + hiero AND locking them down long enough to kill them after DN is gone.

- perhaps for the newer players it may be useful to mention common mistakes, like using undine after burning soporific whisper.

- comment on how the 100 skills suck for the most part.

- i do not 100% recall the mechanism by which frostblade works - i believe it uses the specified % of your weapon damage, not base magic, but i don't remember what it adds to the target (it's not their base attack). however you can mention its usefulness in overriding skills like Expel and Psychic Will, most notably for skills like WR's drakeswift. i cannot tell you the number of times i've locked a physical-immune psychic in black voodoo in TW with a 7.5-second drakeswift stun, thanks to having a small elemental component on my attacks.

- plenty of other things i'm sure i'm forgetting.

(edited to replace pw-my skill names with pwi names)
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Lastly, I'd lose the colors and the skill descriptions. Colors are harsh on some of us (people with Asperger's or Autism are drawn to games like this and to us: those colors are rude). We also have java based websites that handle skill descriptions much better: http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php .

Actually that doesnt need to be true. Some people with syndromes like that will actually feel like the colors make it more organized. Which makes it less stressfull to read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sun_Burn - Lost City
    Sun_Burn - Lost City Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    could also keep the colors but keep the attack type in order (list all fire spells, then water, then earth)

Just a thought, I personally don't care one way or another.
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    and elemental shell deserves mention here since it's instant chi without having to use cloud eruption / master li's / cast a longer animation skill.

How much chi?
  • negativereaction
    negativereaction Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    thumbs wrote: »
    How much chi?

15 for elemental shell, meaning you can sutra + shell + ulti if you'd rather not waste a chi pot, master li's, or cast a longer animating skill. sometimes it's nicer to use gush or seal instead of course (or things like divine pyro if you're going to BT).
This discussion has been closed.