Wizards and Psychics

Options
altweina
altweina Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
So I have always heard the complaining that wizards were replaced by psychics, but had never played either so I didn't have an opinion. I started one of each to play around with after reading about how Rank 8 wizards are super powerful.....even better then psychics. In the early stages I would have to give the lead to psy's......wizard seems to channel SO MUCH SLOWER!! Now at later stages some of that is compensated for with better gear but they are still gonna be faster overall I would think. Wizards have a defense buff skill, is this what makes them better? Is it that the end game skills end up being more useful? Black voodoo is pretty straight forward but white voodoo seems to be a bit less useful? I put it on and I notice that things do a little bit less damage....140 instead of 175 or something like that, however my damage is reduced by maybe half??

Both hit hard

Both have AoE's

Both have a heal

Wizards have a shield

Thanks for your thoughts guys.....I was just surprised by the response comparing wizards to psychics. I never hear about wizards being better than pys's until now. It was always, they are replaced by psychics.
Post edited by altweina on

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Just checking out Psy's skills, and looks like a lot of good ones that don't consume chi. Wizards don't have any good ones without chi cost (just Will of the Phoenix, and Hail Storm). Mage's strength in this game is for AoE, and all those chi requirements drag it down for me.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    To put it simply, psys tickle when wizzies hurt. When psy hurts, wizzie simply looks at you and you drop. That`s putting it simple.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • MoonlghtStar - Heavens Tear
    MoonlghtStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Nahh psy's got wiz all the way. Atleast to me.
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    To put it simply, psys tickle when wizzies hurt. When psy hurts, wizzie simply looks at you and you drop. That`s putting it simple.

b:bye Clearly you've never been hit by a psy 100 skill. Same formula as level 10 BIDS + attack level = byebye.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    b:bye Clearly you've never been hit by a psy 100 skill. Same formula as level 10 BIDS + attack level = byebye.

actually, BIDS has +500% weapon attack while SS has 400%
    lvl11 BIDS deals more water dmg too; but with black voodoo SS does pretty much the same dmg with BIDS lvl11

Wizzies:
    +3x ultis
    +undine
    +whisper
    +shrink
    +earth shield
    +force of will

Psychic:
    +1x ulti
    +Earth vector
    +Psy will
    +Black/White Voodoo
    +Spammable control aoes
    +more "tricky"/useful buffs
    +aoe purify if sage
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options

Clearly you have never actually seen how hard wizzies hit compared to psys, the details you can find on post above mineb:bye
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • FateMakerr - Heavens Tear
    FateMakerr - Heavens Tear Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Psy till I Die!!b:victory

...... or till mystics come out b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Semi Retired Psychic of Radiance faction//Entering full retirement upon the release of ĠuildẂars2 or an otherwise drastic change in PWI management.
    "Exploiting a glitch is a violation of the ToS under User Conduct:
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players"-frankieraye ............guess he changed his mind.
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options

formula?

basematk+ x% weapon damge + solid value?

basematk ~ 500% for easier calculation
    3sparked 1200%

sandball clash:
    900% + 10253

same with with demon black vodoo - 25% extra
    1125% + 12753

bids:
    1000% + 13955

bladetempest:
    1400% + 12400

3spark bladetempest
    2800% + 12400
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • Hl/ - Harshlands21
    Hl/ - Harshlands21 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Oh LOOK, it's THIS THREAD AGAIN.

Wizards hit harder.
    Psychics hit faster.

Both can smoosh people.

Who cares which one's better? I thought we got over this in the Psychic forums a long, long time ago.

Nobody replaced anybody. Wizards, like Archers and Barbs, are some of the least played classes. Psychics fall under the EXACT same category.

Wizards, Psychics, no matter which one you pick, you will ALWAYS be overlooked for an APS Bm/Archer/Sin any damn day of the week.

[/thread]
  • phenixmoon
    phenixmoon Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I always had the feeling that psy were as good as wizzies in TW but seems people lately doesn't think that anymore.

Anyway, I got a question, I was checking psy skills and in the demon/sage stage of Aqua cannon this is what it says:

○Aqua Cannon

Mana 680
    Channel 1.5 second(s)
    Cast 1.5 second(s)
    Cooldown 8.0 second(s)

Deals damage equal to your base magic attack plus
    200% weapon damage and another
    5376 Water damage to all targets within 8 meters.
    Has a 92% chance to slow target by 80%.
    Lasts for 5 seconds.

Demon: Has a 50% chance to deal additional 4518.8 Water damage over 6 seconds.
    Sage: Has a 30% chance to immobilize target for 3 seconds.

So Aqua Cannon is an aoe of 8 metres that slows all targets I guess (or only the one you are targetting?) lasting for 5 seconds.

So here for what I understand

The demon version deals a DoT of total 4518 over 6 seconds in top of the damage of the skill and does it for all the AoEd targets?
    The sage version immobilize target or all AoEd targets for 3 seconds?

Can anyone clear this up? :D thx
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Demon: on average half of the AOEd targets will get the DoT of 4518 water damage. (If it's like Parasitic Nova, which has a % chance to seal and immobilize, the chance is calculated for each target separately.) Sage: on average a bit under a third of the AOEd targets will be immobilized.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Demon: on average half of the AOEd targets will get the DoT of 4518 water damage. (If it's like Parasitic Nova, which has a % chance to seal and immobilize, the chance is calculated for each target separately.) Sage: on average a bit under a third of the AOEd targets will be immobilized.

this. i have the sage version and even mobs that i dont "target" get frozen because they are hit.

the slow has a 92% chance to proc
  • altweina
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Thank you for all your feedback....lol, what is wrong with people like HL that they feel the need to point out .....OH LOOK THIS THREAD AGAIN?? I guess it makes them cool cause they are forum old school??b:chuckle They were around back then...when it came up...look everyone they are super cool.

I try to read the forum before I ask a question but before work I was unable to find the answer to the question.....I have been playing with 2 alts and I felt the psy was better hands down.....However I read that wizards were the #1 heavy hitter. My own experiences tells me psychics are better....as a squishy I cant STAND that damage reflection thing. At my level on main I am fighting those will Rank 8 and 9 in TW....I basically kill myself trying to attack them....that is pretty bad ***. At that point I have to pretty much sleep them and just run away....if they chase I must continue to run cause I cant even fight back.
  • Risingson - Lost City
    Risingson - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I find it really funny to see that some people still think Psychics hit for a "lot less" damage than Wizards. It's so not true lol. We do hit for less damage, but really not by that much.

Meh, anyway.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • phenixmoon
    phenixmoon Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    this. i have the sage version and even mobs that i dont "target" get frozen because they are hit.

the slow has a 92% chance to proc

Thanks a lot both! :)
  • Valrain - Archosaur
    Valrain - Archosaur Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You know how often I use ultimates in TW? 3, maybe 4 times... If I'm lucky...

You know how often I use ultimates in PK? Never, unless I feel like being an *** and dropping a BIDS / BT on a completely unsuspecting crowd.

Why?

1. I am killed by a sin before I've had a chance to build up sparks.
    2. I've had to use Essential Sutra to take down a high-hp class.
    3. I've had to triple-spark to take down a high-hp class while also taking damage from people surrounding them (e.g. cata barbs with a support squad).
    4. I've had to distance shrink a bunch to escape a fast-running BM and my genie is still building energy.

And so on.

Wizards AoE's that require no sparks are just pure garbage in the damage department. At end-game, with a +10 rank 8 weapon, I end up using gush and pyrogram for most people because I can't channel very long. If an archer / sin / veno sees you channeling an ultimate, you can count on getting interrupted with an arrow / thrown dagger / scarab.
  • Vindrael - Lost City
    Vindrael - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    This is Valrain again.

I can do my mini-ultimate (red tide) pretty frequently because I build up chi so much faster than my wizard.

My base skills, with black voodoo on, build chi fast and actually do more damage than wizard pyro/gush.

I have self-buffs like Soul of Retaliation that protect me from stuns / bleeds.

I have a self-purify until 99, at which time it becomes an AoE purify / heal.

The rank 8 weapon does quite a bit more damage.

My soul skills, like Soulburn or Soul of Vengeance, do a lot more damage based on my level and weapon refines.

APS is still pure **** when compared to an APS class (archer/BM/sin/fist barb) but at least I can survive more than 3 seconds in PK. b:chuckle
  • Saiyori - Dreamweaver
    Saiyori - Dreamweaver Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    No one replaced anyone. A wizard is a different playstyle from a psychic in the mage group of casters. A wizard is a heavy nuke damage class that channels slowly and has a shield defense, whereas a psychic doesn't nuke as hard endgame but is more for annoying your opponent before killing them. Both are equally useful and pk worthy, you just have to decide which mode of pk you prefer. Do you like to taunt your opponent and make them kill themselves or do you want to headshot them with a big blue dragon?
  • Proski - Archosaur
    Proski - Archosaur Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6320/wizardpsy.png
    u guys are talking about a 1 minute long cool down skill. normally, like the SS above, its 12m vs 6m which is a joke, but okay in this case when stonesmasher or whatever its called has 10m still consider this:

when everybody talks about where dmg is being drawn from they seem to forget wiz weapons have higher damage so you cant start them from the same place. therefore the more amps = the greater difference in favor of a wiz because that extra 100% on bids + 30% extra dmg from undine (which affects their first line of defense by -60% resistances - attack level can be negated with backdoor sharding and certain gear) will go a lot further + +50% chance to +30% crit +casting while standing up tall with +120 or +150% extra pdef (not to mention 30 second cooldown ult with the ability to use it in a sutra sequence) vs. +22 attack level/-11 def level + what is it? reduce targets attack speed?.... lol, how is there even any debate. sure psychics are more practical in your average fighting, but isn't this about the glory moments? get out of here nothing will EVER replace a wizard.

+12 full rank9 psychic here cant hit robes on average as hard as a +6-7 rank8 wiz (granted for 1 skill, but still thats all you need for the scenarios that anyone ever argued wizzies were preferred over in). the ability to hit half physical with BT is something that evades most psychics in this discussion and its priceless in TW when there are so many LA and ROBES being the factors nowadays. talking strictly magic damage is meh

i'm not saying a rank9 psychic isn't extremely OP in some cases in pk and TW (1v1s or 1vs smaller groups), but when considering your average end game psychics and wizards (rank8s couple pieces of event gear average refines not all g11 sharding), which is what this discussion should focus on, what people should want a wizard for over a psychic will always be those minute-delaying-or-saving TW changing ultis. i want psychics like i want my archers doing their flank controlling momentum gaining pushes in TW's because their so dominant there. but when the other sides factors are winning the fight? i know theres only one class I can rely on to be the opportunist and truly change that

i think people just forget that wizards are supposed to die for the greater good, psychics were meant to work a little bit longer like an archer. ill take both an archer and psychic in pk 90% of the time, but neither of them can compete for that grudge kill on any cash shopper when you ninja them. sage spark in teh air -> cloud eruption in the air -> take flower off -> sutra as you are about to land-> chi pot -> sage divine pyro -> sage pyro -> sage blade temptest

or just a straight sage spark -> cloud eruption -> zooming thunder power orb -> blade temptest before anybody can even react.

with a +7 rank8, about 12600 min magic attack unbuffed i'm hititing full rank9 archers for just under 20k crits, full rank9 sins for about the same, and robes for either less or more depending on their gear and class
    edited February 2011
    Options
    when everybody talks about where dmg is being drawn from they seem to forget wiz weapons have higher damage so you cant start them from the same place.

R8:
    psy: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/26058

wiz: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/12647

tt99 gold:

psy: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/26059

wiz: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/14913

lunar:

psy: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/26060
    +12: 1823

wiz:http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/16097
    +12: 1973

it appears that the lunar sword refines better than the lunar sphere; dunno if it's true.
    for the rest, the refines are the same for both
    anyway, as u can see, in the other cases the psy weapon has more dmg than the wiz sword.

since r8 is the commonly used weapon now, i didnt feel like comparing glaives etc..
  • kknboy
    kknboy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Looking at your links thanos it says that
    Psychic rank 8:
    Attack Speed 0.91
    Attack Range 2.5
    Physical attack 798-976
    Magical attack 1070-1448

Wiz rank 8:
    ttack Speed 1.25
    Attack Range 3
    Physical attack 663-995
    Magical attack 1212-1481

Wizard has higher minimum and max damage. If we factor in the addons they have same critcal rate added, but psychic has +308 max damage while wizards have +130 max damage and +15 magic. Im not really sure if +15 magic is better or worse than +178 max magic damage.
  • Proski - Archosaur
    Proski - Archosaur Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options

142 weapon damage difference on the minimum.. which is huge. also +15 magic which also applies to the minimalist and maximum damage you can hit for. max is overrated when your min is that low. take your lesser chance to crit to another set of numbers and you have an even lesser chance to crit on your high end damage. bids will crit way more often and on way more people in the aoe giving the wizard the much higher chance to hit for a lot harder average.

now look at g15 nirvana wand: 1316-1342

vs

1033-1397

you picked buddas leaf for a wiz to compare lunars... b:laugh
  • altweina
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Awesome.....things are getting interesting thank you. Proski the BT skill is a good point the ability to do both magic and physical damage is important. It is one reason I like my archer and cleric.....The cleric is pure magic, I know it doesn't compare to these to in over all damage but I hit pretty hard. The biggest drawback I find with my cleric is the reduced attack range....everyone can hit me before I can hit them.

Point for psychic - channeling speed, more of a run around and shoot toon
    Point for wizard - overall nuke ability...I.E the catabarbs are killing crystal.....Holy cow what just happened everyone is dead
    Point for psychic - annoying skills that stun, reflect and punish for attacking (fun "games" you can play with opponent)
    Point for wizard - having both physical and magic attack?

Is that about the sum of things so far?
  • kknboy
    kknboy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ooo yeah. cant forget that demon/sage wiz skills have 30 m range instead of 28.5m
  • WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide
    WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    people only like psychics more than wizards, cause both are magic DDs, but psychics can shoot faster than wizards. it's that simple. if you quicken up a wizard's cast times, more people would play a wizard. if you slow down a psychic's cast times, less people would play a psychic. both have damage dealing capabilities that are very close to the other's, but if one can shoot faster, it'll get hit even less often, and people will play it more.

EDIT: and ofcorse, psychics are tricksters, they got some sick buffs and debuffs. ofcorse inplace of more buffs/debuffs, wizards have more DDing skills. so which do you prefer, a heavy damage dealer, or a DD that can mess with people's minds?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

light armor rules, and JOKERZz are the best. shaff, you meh dogg. Neko, you smexy redhead you, yer my favorite veno out there. Evo, yer straight up crazy. Lillie, thanks fer giving LA cerics a good name. hask, what can't you tank? Kyo, yer wizard biuld sucks, and yer obsession with aps annoys me, but eveni will admit, yer a frackin pro. Chick, our dad's would be great friends in rl, and we'd have so much fun messin with them. fer all the rest of the clan, *salutes* at yer service doggs.b:cool
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    altweina wrote: »
    Is that about the sum of things so far?

average wizards phys defense > average psys phys def

stone barrier ftw yo b:cool
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    they're pretty even... wizard is better at kiting when melee runs in psychic just stands there and uses the physical immune buff instead... Psychics hit for less than wizards but also channel faster and have more variety when it comes to AOE.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Lyth has a point, wizards are epic at kiting.

In my honest opinion, we are, by far, the best kiting class in the whole game.

Also might be worth mentioning that blink makes us more mobile than just about any class when it comes to flying PvP
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Lyth has a point, wizards are epic at kiting.

In my honest opinion, we are, by far, the best kiting class in the whole game.

Also might be worth mentioning that blink makes us more mobile than just about any class when it comes to flying PvP

I don't really disagree with you per say, but a few things I'd like to point out. Sins imo are the best at kiting with tidal (and 2 teleports).. and their own personal safezone wherever they go. BMs actually can almost match our DS with their leaps. They have a 6 second cooldown and go 16m (forward or back) which can keep up with us pretty well. And as for the advantage of DS in the air.. I think air mount acceleration can make it go either way.

So if you were trying to catch up to someone running away for instance, you blink and then need to accelerate up to speed again, with sage DS I probably only gain ~5 meters (if that) of distance over someone just flying straight. I've never tried this with accelerate, but I'd guess we'd actually lose distance using shrink. On the other hand if you had a bm up in your face, you could shrink to gain some distance and then the bm has to accelerate up to speed to start chasing you again.. where DS would really provide a nice advantage.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Tsubakey - Heavens Tear
    Tsubakey - Heavens Tear Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i think people are forgetting soul force with high refined gear...