A Question For All

Options

Comments

• LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't think it should have just one category. I think it should be judged in tiers since not all film makers specialize in one specific area. Each film maker should be allowed one entry per genre, but only allowed to win one. The winners of each genre will then be placed up against one another in a second round of competition. The overall winner will walk away with the kickass prize and the genre specific winners could be awarded with smaller, less valuable prizes, I.E.:

Tier 1
    Comedy
    Contestant 1
    Contestant 2
    Contestant 3
    Romance
    Contestant 1
    Contestant 2
    Contestant 3
    Drama
    Contestant 1
    Contestant 2
    Contestant 3
    Action
    Contestant 1
    Contestant 2
    Contestant 3
    Horror
    Contestant 1
    Contestant 2
    Contestant 3

Tier 2
    Comedy Winner
    Drama Winner
    Romance Winner
    Action Winner
    Horror Winner

Tier 3
    Overall Victor
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    voted yes. Just another audience member yo.

but I voted afew days ago. simply posting to keep this thread near the top b:cute
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    in one word......

YES! yes,yes,yes,yesyesyes!

(ok, one word, just repeated!^_^)

This is the guy who did all the hysterical "Asylum' vids, that everyone loved, guys! and everyone begged for more!

how can we pass up this chance!b:victory

September, 2009...
    Many of you forum "old-timers" recall that as the beginning of PWI's downfall, with the release of Anniversary Packs. But that time has another significance as well.

It was the last time PWI held a true video contest*. It's been almost a year and a half since then. Meanwhile, HOTK and ESO recently concluded their own contests, just this past January. And that is why I pose the question:

Would you be interested/participate
    if I were to sponsor and manage
    a video contest for PWI?

^"Interest" is meant to state that you'd enjoy having a contest, not necessarily if you would plan on entering.

(Proposition below)

You all know my background by now, I think. It's true I don't agree with how the game is run. I've been very outspoken about that at times, and it hasn't exactly endeared me to the staff.
    But this is a game, it's meant to be fun, and I've come to realize that for all the things that have changed here, it's always been fun to see what creative individuals have accomplished in film here.

These boards are overrun with QQ, anti-QQ, and troll threads, and the staff (Frankie & mods) spend so much time putting out fires and trying to keep a civil lid on things, it's really no surprise to me there hasn't been much room for a good contest. So here's what I propose:

1. There would be a set category for filming, such as Comedy, Drama, Action, or Romance.
    2. At the end of the submission date (TBD), I will collaborate with any PWI staff willing to offer their time (Mods & GMs, by volunteer as their time permits) to narrow the film choices down to 5 or so.
    3. As with the fashion contest, an open forum poll will decide the winner, and runners-up.
    4. Prizes will be in-game coin of a set amount, distributed by myself. Value TBD.

Regarding 2: The biggest complaint with the previous Fashion contest seemed to be that all judging was internal - when we saw the finalists, many first reactions were "What? THAT? WTF?" or similar. By including visible community staff in that step, it is my hope to minimize those complaints. Additionally, the merits on which each Finalist is selected would be posted with their entry in the final poll.

So that's my proposal, comrades. If you guys are up for it, I will endeavor to give this community a new video contest - a real video contest.
    Thoughts, comments, and concerns are always welcome.

EDIT: The poll is more evenly divided than I'd anticipated... So, speaking hypothetically, what genre or theme would you prefer to see as the contest subject? If this goes through.

*No, we are not counting the Genesis Trailer thing here. No filming - indeed, no in-game footage - is required of the participants. If anything, it is a music contest, which I don't believe PWI has done before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    KlEVE - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't think it should have just one category. I think it should be judged in tiers since not all film makers specialize in one specific area...

A fair thought in theory, but most likely an impossible one. I can see the poll here swinging either way, and making this proposed contest a possibility, but I can't see there being enough entries to separate them by tiers and categories. Hell, to be perfectly honest, if this goes through and if it gets more than ten videos, I'd call it an astonishing success - but I also base that on the way the Sitcom thing went, and that was officially sponsored mind you.
    *Although I also believe the prize incentive was a very poor choice, and placing that same prize in the boutique while the contest was still in progress an even poorer one. Those combined factors likely had some part in it.

So for the purpose of hypothetical discussion, I'll be sticking with one category or theme - though nothing says it has to be a fixed genre. For instance, consider a theme of "Rescue."
    One person might do a traditional "Save the damsel in distress" thing, another might enter a story of a veno who happens along and finds a particular wild pet to tame (and thus, "rescue," in a more animal-shelter adoption sense). There's plenty of flexibility in a theme, if you look for it - the whole purpose of this idea is to spur some creativity, not restrict it.

Miugre - Thank you for the words of confidence. With regard to the staff involvement... I would not object to, and in fact encourage Frankie to bring this to the main news page, should it come to pass. Even if it's just "so much PR" as with Kitamura's achievement, it still would still draw attention to the event. However, I have my doubts on that happening, due to... matters best not discussed here.

DaKillanator - Gracias for the bump, then. Need to keep this thread up where it can be seen and voted on. b:victory

Fox - Thanks for the encouragement but... you do realize I would not be contributing a video to this myself, yes? I mean really, how fair would that be? b:laugh
    "Hi all, I'mma run a contest, but I'll enter it myself too so there's a chance I might not have to give you guys anything."
    b:embarrass Can't see that working too well...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    Azzazin - Dreamweaver Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bump!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Setting of the twilight moon; a late evening rendezvous from atop the
    city's lonely heights. With the dawn the city below springs into bustling
    activity, and I don my morning apparel. From on high, I watch the world.
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bump!

squared yo
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    b:chuckle

Okay, okay - effort appreciated, but let's try not to get the thread locked for spam, please.
    b:thanks

Oh, and towards the discussion on potential theme: I will not be doing anything strictly MV-based. There's simply too many varied tastes to music, and judging a music video (no matter how much one tries to stay strictly on technical merit) is far too subjective to the judges' preference. For instance, you could do a fantastically synced MV to something from, say 50 Cent or Tupac, but there's no way I'd even be able to judge it because my eardrums begin to bleed at the sound of gansta rap.
    (heh, advanced word of caution I guess, avoid making my eardrums bleed? XD)

Thoughts on this subject are welcomed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flyingkea - Dreamweaver
    Flyingkea - Dreamweaver Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Pretty cool idea, been wanting to make a video for a while now, I've always enjoyed going onto youtube and looking at the videos, and wanting to do the same, just haven't quite got around to it/figured out what I was doing, and if this contest goes ahead it'd be a nice incentive to get off my tail and do something. So a yea cool, id probably enter a vid from me
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bump...
    edited February 2011
    Options
    first place goes to whoever makes the best "sin killing for your average wizard" guide b:avoid
  • Haden - Dreamweaver
    Haden - Dreamweaver Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Has Pwi even handed out the prizes for the costume design contest ages ago?
    Good intentions are like peeing yourself in dark leather pants, you get warm feelings inside, but it doesn't show.
  • Bobberto - Harshlands
    Bobberto - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yes! xP

can i ask 1 thing
    what happened with u? i remember that u were *word that we cant use that start with "b" and end with "ed"* ... but that happened when i *quited the forums* xd
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Haden - I have no idea, you'd have to ask the contest winners on that one.

Bobberto - You can ask, but for obvious reasons, it's not a matter to be discussed here. Suffice to say, I lost my patience with PWE's management practices, and paid the consequences for my outburst.

DaKillinator - "Step 1: Join a monastary." b:chuckle Best way to eliminate sins! (Step 2 would be going to Confession, for absolution of the ones you couldn't drop.) b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Little bit more than 3 weeks left, and it's an even split so far.

Interesting...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Still looking for suggestions on theme. Not actively trying to get everyone's hopes up, but since it's looking like this could go either way, I'd appreciate some input on what you might like to see as a genre.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Best story line
    Most action packed
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Mine is a Yes/Other, so take that into account at final tally.b:mischievous
    edited February 2011
    Options
    DaKillinator - "Step 1: Join a monastary." b:chuckle Best way to eliminate sins! (Step 2 would be going to Confession, for absolution of the ones you couldn't drop.) b:laugh

lmao.

Yes, after that me and all my monk friends could go lynch some assassins b:chuckle
  • Mooy - Heavens Tear
    Mooy - Heavens Tear Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I would like to see people make video (unlike the HoTK one, which is completely a joke, only 3 submits...) that is creative and has nice plot, not just random TT, FF or PvP, TW stuff.
    But I would more love to see a story writing contest (or poem whatever). I like to read rather than watch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    visit jd-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=393891 to read the translated chapters of Zhu Xian.
    Forum Translator of Jade Dynasty, pm me if you need to translate anything. Can be any PWE game.
    Mystic's skill list updated. Final version of lvl11 skills and lvl79, 100 skills.
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ...But I would more love to see a story writing contest (or poem whatever). I like to read rather than watch.

Two problems with that idea.
    First (and biggest) - I'd be thoroughly unqualified to judge something like that. b:chuckle Maybe one of the fanfic writers in the Fanatics section could, if there are any left? I only really remember Joker's and Kyna's.
    Second, and more practical, there's a healthy population of players for whom English isn't a first language, which would make for a bit of trouble with grammar and sentence structure. I've seen things done to the written word here that would make a hardened college professor weep. b:shocked Graphic work (pictures, video) is a bit more forgiving in that regard.

And yes, I agree - HOTK contest was pathetic. b:surrender but the point is they had one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bumping
  • Finra - Sanctuary
    Finra - Sanctuary Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    No, because..

I'd much rather spend my time on something that I know would make an effect than starting some hope that'll never happen -_-llll

Though the game has been rougher and rougher on a monthly basis or even weekly... no matter how **** the game has become, I've spent far too much time here to just leave. Even just logging in to fly around places or help people or farm herbs are much enjoyable xP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Finra, not sure I understand. "Starting some hope that'll never happen"? If you mean whether this proposed contest does or does not - well, that's completely up to you all here. If on the other paw, you mean winning or not - never know unless you try, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Hm...
    I know the TW change/reset is bigger news right now, but I really thought there'd be more of a response through the night. Ah well.

Poll's still running for another two and a half weeks. Questions, comments, and concerns are always welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maybe...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • KlEVE - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maybe...? b:question

Ah well. Feedback always appreciated, if only to keep the thread up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maybe... because I dont have any idea with what I could make for video exept for PvP, PvE and TW and planing, one day, to post some funny tricks. It will depend if I find a good idea ... =)

The best thing I'm doing atm, is to improve my skills to make videos and to know my software better ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Is there any free recording software you'd recommend using? I used to try frapps until my harddrive decided to stop working altogether (and not a single byte recovered either grrr), and haven't yet downloaded another copy.

The trouble I had with Frapps was that most of the time it wouldn't record when i pressed the hotkey, when meant trying to figure out how to film sequences was more than a little frustrating. Didn't mind only being able to film for 30sec and most scenes typically aren't that long
  • Svarius - Heavens Tear
    Svarius - Heavens Tear Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    There are a couple others you could try.
    Some folks prefer Hypercam - there are a few versions of it available (HC2 is the only one I've used myself). Not sure about all editions, but the one I used was a bit of a pain since I had to manually set the framerate and recording area. I can see that being a good thing in some circumstances, but with a game, the framerate can jump noticeably, and I favor FRAPS because it automatically adjusts to that.

CamStudio is another option - not sure how good it is, but it's open-source, so updates and support should be easier to come by.

There's also the possibility of video editors having capture abilities built right in. Downside is, having them run in tandem with PWI might hurt your performance a bit. Check your software's help index, it might list a capture or record function.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Games come and go - cinema lasts a lifetime. (Except VHS - that only lasts 15 years)
    youtube.com/user/KRSMW
    edited February 2011
    Options
    There are a couple others you could try.

CamStudio is another option - not sure how good it is, but it's open-source, so updates and support should be easier to come by.

There's also the possibility of video editors having capture abilities built right in. Downside is, having them run in tandem with PWI might hurt your performance a bit. Check your software's help index, it might list a capture or record function.

Thanks, checking out CamStudio now b:thanks
    So far it can't really keep up with the scenery, it becomes quite blurred when the toon is moving. As in both the back and foreground are blurred.

Edit: The standard settings when downloaded, don't manage to keep up, but maxing the quality seems to produce what I see when I play. Also you have to manually set the cursor to hidden but now that I have a bit more of a feel for things I prefer it to Frapps. Also it automatically adjusts framerate