Pls start buffing other with Frostblade...

Options
2»

Comments

• Ninja_Dagger - Dreamweaver
    Ninja_Dagger - Dreamweaver Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The problem with your observation is that sparking only increases your magic attack but not your base magic attack which is the magic attack without weapon only from stat points in magic. Im a lvl 93 pure build mage and so my base magic attack (stats in mag) = 483 ( i dont know if mag points from armor also count or not but i dont think so) That means the value for Frostblade dmg would be ( lvl 10 Frostblade)

30% of 483 = 144,9 water dmg added to a players NORMAL attack
    ok with a 5APS char this would mean 724,5 additional DPS

But im not sure if the 724,5 additionald FB DPS for a 5 APS will be higher than the additional DPS a 5 APS char does compared to a wiz in squad so even if you calculate

2 5 APS BMS
    1 Cleric
    1 5 APS Barb/Sin
    1 Veno
    (1)and our sample Wiz its not sure if the additional DMG from Frostblade can bridge the gap

So the Calculation would be 2x 724,5 +1x 0( cleric doesnt DD and healing is no normal attack) + 1x 724,5 + 1x0 ( caster veno) or 1x ~300 (foxform veno) + 1x 0 ( wiz also doesnt use normal attacks) = 2473,5 ~2500 DPS more

so if the wiz is replaced the squad will do 2500 DPS less because there is no FB but the 1 5 APS DD that replaces the wiz will deal more than 2500 dmg with 2 hits

greetz harm0wnie
    i DO BELIEVE you mean 1 hit b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    when life gives you lemons
    put them in a sack and beat your wife
    with them b:victory
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    that's exactly what the descripiton says "has a 25% chance to get 30 additional chi on a successfull hit"

Personally i would like to see a bit higher % chance on the proc since wiz is maybe the class with the slowest chi building and highest chi skill requirements

and i dont undestand why sins with interval gear need another chi skill which gives them 200 chi while our master li's technique gives 50 chi and the pyro proc 30 chi but that's PWIs understanding of class balancing -.-

greetz harm0wnie

its actually a 20% chance to gain 30 chi.
    Wizards (at least sage wizards) can build chi really well. Obviously we are no match for the chi building on sins, but other than sins.. I'd say we are 2nd place in chi building in pvp. Interval chars obviously build crazy chi in pve, but pvp they are spending more time chasing people around than anything else. We get more chi/skill than most the other classes, and our defensive/control skills don't really eat our chi like the other classes. Not to mention we have ele shell which is a free 30chi/minute (you don't even need to stop to use it).
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • MsSparkles - Heavens Tear
    MsSparkles - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Level 11.... It makes a dif if that level 11 is sage or demon people.
    One you might get chi for a skill, the other you might get more damage added, faster channeling, a stun, etc.

Secondly on Frostblade, I run with a 5.0 constantly, My mag attack is about 13k buffed it adds about 2.5k to each of his attacks. Also the LEVEL of the mob maters as to how much damage you do as well, I've noticed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Level 11.... It makes a dif if that level 11 is sage or demon people.
    One you might get chi for a skill, the other you might get more damage added, faster channeling, a stun, etc.

Secondly on Frostblade, I run with a 5.0 constantly, My mag attack is about 13k buffed it adds about 2.5k to each of his attacks. Also the LEVEL of the mob maters as to how much damage you do as well, I've noticed.

magic attack has no impact whatsoever on frostblade. Not your matk or the targets matk.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    loo,, we wizards can argue the usefulness and actual effects of Frostblade all day long, but the fact still remains;
    Other classes are almost never aware of the difference it makes. The OP saying we'd get into Nirvana squads for frostblade is a joke, nobody, not even most wizards, think FB is that great, so why do you think we'd get into Nirvana runs over Venos just because of FB?
    edited January 2011
    Options
    that's exactly what the descripiton says "has a 25% chance to get 30 additional chi on a successfull hit"

Personally i would like to see a bit higher % chance on the proc since wiz is maybe the class with the slowest chi building and highest chi skill requirements

and i dont undestand why sins with interval gear need another chi skill which gives them 200 chi while our master li's technique gives 50 chi and the pyro proc 30 chi but that's PWIs understanding of class balancing -.-

greetz harm0wnie

Wizards are actually pretty good at chi building, and comparing us to sins isnt really a fair comparison, they grossly outshine everyone in chi building.
    But to be fair, sins require almost as much chi as wizards do.

They have 4 lvl 59 2 spark skills just like wizards do, plus a 1 spark lvl 59 skill. Just looking at level 59 skills, sins actually need more sparks than wizards do (if for some reason we wanted to use all of our 59 skills)

Also sins use more sparks -in practice- than a wiz would.
    Normal sin sequence; Double Spark in stealth, tele-stun the target (one spark), use a chi gaining skill while DDing stunned target, use headhunt to stun target (two sparks), finish target off

That sequence used 5 sparks, and it could be 6 if the sin decided to tele-stun then triple spark, so it's defintly a spark heavy class when they're not autoattacking in PvE.

Now let's look at a wizards chi use; DD target to half hp, sopoforic whisper (20 or 30 chi? I'll say 30), blade tempest if it's a squishy, BIDS if it's not (2 sparks)

That sequence involes 2.3 sparks, almost half of a sins spark use.
    side note- didn't include 30 chi for stone barrier and 1 spark for wellspring because those skills are usually casted before the fight, so you wouldn't be building chi for them in an actual fight.
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Your scenario is very flawed as far as a representation of how much chi a sin should use compared to wizard. Why does the sin double or triple spark, don't wizards also benefit from sparking. Many good sins will not use the tele stun skill as an opener, it is better to save this skill incase something goes wrong. What about Sutra for the wizard, or distance shrink. Both valuable in pk and require chi.
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Wizards are actually pretty good at chi building, and comparing us to sins isnt really a fair comparison, they grossly outshine everyone in chi building.
    But to be fair, sins require almost as much chi as wizards do.

They have 4 lvl 59 2 spark skills just like wizards do, plus a 1 spark lvl 59 skill. Just looking at level 59 skills, sins actually need more sparks than wizards do (if for some reason we wanted to use all of our 59 skills)

Normal sin sequence; Double Spark in stealth, tele-stun the target (one spark), use a chi gaining skill while DDing stunned target, use headhunt to stun target (two sparks), finish target off

That sequence used 5 sparks, and it could be 6 if the sin decided to tele-stun then triple spark, so it's defintly a spark heavy class when they're not autoattacking in PvE.

Now let's look at a wizards chi use; DD target to half hp, sopoforic whisper (20 or 30 chi? I'll say 30), blade tempest if it's a squishy, BIDS if it's not (2 sparks)

That sequence involes 2.3 sparks, almost half of a sins spark use.
    side note- didn't include 30 chi for stone barrier and 1 spark for wellspring because those skills are usually casted before the fight, so you wouldn't be building chi for them in an actual fight.

i agree with sins having better chi building but its not only sins its most of the other classes too just because of the fact that

every single hit gives the person using the skill chi also normal attacks give chi so for a
    character with higher DPS it's easier to build the chi. The fact that wizards arent using 5-6 spark combos is just because we are too slow in chi building. A wiz could also use
    undine sutra mountain seize bids combo but this would require 6 sparks then. The simple reason why most of our ultis never come out of sutra is that we hardly have 4 sparks especially not in a PvP situation.

I mean sins chi skills are just too OP and need a nerf because 200 chi when maxed cant compete with 20% chance for 30 chi + 5 aps fill up their chi even without having to use their chi skills. Also psy has better chi gaining because their DPS is higher then ours and chi requirements lower for aoes.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i agree with sins having better chi building but its not only sins its most of the other classes too just because of the fact that

every single hit gives the person using the skill chi also normal attacks give chi so for a
    character with higher DPS it's easier to build the chi. The fact that wizards arent using 5-6 spark combos is just because we are too slow in chi building. A wiz could also use
    undine sutra mountain seize bids combo but this would require 6 sparks then. The simple reason why most of our ultis never come out of sutra is that we hardly have 4 sparks especially not in a PvP situation.

I mean sins chi skills are just too OP and need a nerf because 200 chi when maxed cant compete with 20% chance for 30 chi + 5 aps fill up their chi even without having to use their chi skills. Also psy has better chi gaining because their DPS is higher then ours and chi requirements lower for aoes.

Name another class that has better chi building than us in PvP (besides sins). Sure isn't interval chars, they are running around using sparks to catch people.. and rarely get any real hits off. Psychics don't have ele shell or sage pyro for that extra chi, and they rely on their chi for their control/survivability skills (earth vector/psychic will etc). It's rare they they have the sparks to use a skill like stone smasher, and their other aoes don't do near the damage that ours ultis do. We are lucky in that our only real chi uses are our shields (once every 10 mins or after you die).. sleep (20 chi.. and can only be used once every 2 mins) and distance shrink.. which only takes 20 chi (10 for sage). We can devote nearly all of our chi on sutra and ultis, where other classes have important skills that require large chunks of their chi.
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Name another class that has better chi building than us in PvP (besides sins). Sure isn't interval chars, they are running around using sparks to catch people.. and rarely get any real hits off. Psychics don't have ele shell or sage pyro for that extra chi, and they rely on their chi for their control/survivability skills (earth vector/psychic will etc). It's rare they they have the sparks to use a skill like stone smasher, and their other aoes don't do near the damage that ours ultis do. We are lucky in that our only real chi uses are our shields (once every 10 mins or after you die).. sleep (20 chi.. and can only be used once every 2 mins) and distance shrink.. which only takes 20 chi (10 for sage). We can devote nearly all of our chi on sutra and ultis, where other classes have important skills that require large chunks of their chi.
    it's not necessary that psychics hit with stonesmasher while having turned on black voodoo their attack spells deal decent dmg and if you compare cooldown of their spamable non chi aoe skills with ours like hailstorm they are far ahead in terms of dmg and also when it comes to side effects. soulburn only requires 1 spark and i consider it a skill as powerful as sutra but simply look at an archer with a slingshot. And im only talking about chi building in general so for instance if you are in a dungeon run bms and sins can perma spark which means that they regain chi much faster than wiz ( i dont take genie skills and apos here into account )

greetz harm0wnie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Your scenario is very flawed as far as a representation of how much chi a sin should use compared to wizard. Why does the sin double or triple spark, don't wizards also benefit from sparking. Many good sins will not use the tele stun skill as an opener, it is better to save this skill incase something goes wrong. What about Sutra for the wizard, or distance shrink. Both valuable in pk and require chi.

I didn't include double/triple spark for wiz cuz it's usually better spent on an ulti. Why go through the big flashy spark so you can -then- k0 the target, rather than just sleep them and fire off the ulti before they wake up...
    And yes it's true we use distance shrink pretty often, but that only takes 20 chi per cast.

And yes I've seen many sins open with tele stun, then headhunt later. It's called chain stunning. Althought it's true they will sometimes do it in reverse order, opening with headhunt and following up with a tele stun.
  • BloodyVampie - Heavens Tear
    BloodyVampie - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Archers ....
    can get 399 chi with 1 skill .... any other questions?
  • SovereignVis - Sanctuary
    SovereignVis - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I DO BUFF ALL THE TIME!!! I always buff everyone with it. But no one cares, no one notices, no one asked for it when it runs out, They only ask for a blademaster, archer, or assassin to join for Nirvana. Something I have always wondered but never ran test on and did the math to figure out is. . . If you have a squad with 1 barbarian 3 blademasters/archers/assassins 1 cleric, and 1 wizard V.S. a squad of 1 barbarian 4 blademasters/archers/assassins, and 1 cleric. Which squad will do more damage? To figure this out you need to first figure out how much damage on average each class would do with APS and all that other stuff their gear might give them. Then how much more would they do with buffs. We know a blademaster/archer/assassin with high APS can out damage a wizard over a minute. So would having 4th blademasters/archers/assassins really be much better than have 3 blademasters/archers/assassins and 1 wizard? Or would the added 30% water damage on the barbarian and the 3 blademasters/archers/assassins plus the damage the wizard is doing with their skills do more damage overall than having a 4th blademasters/archers/assassins? If so, by how much? And what if the wizard keeps debuffing the boss's magic resist with Undine Strike, which lowers magic resist by 60% for 12 secs.?

Will the squad with 4 blademasters/archers/assassins do more damage per minute?

Or will the squad with 3 blademasters/archers/assassins, and 1 wizard do more damage per minute?

Which is the winner, and by how much?

It seems like it could be a even match. b:question
    I would like to see what numbers people come up with.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I DO BUFF ALL THE TIME!!! I always buff everyone with it. But no one cares, no one notices, no one asked for it when it runs out, They only ask for a blademaster, archer, or assassin to join for Nirvana. Something I have always wondered but never ran test on and did the math to figure out is. . . If you have a squad with 1 barbarian 3 blademasters/archers/assassins 1 cleric, and 1 wizard V.S. a squad of 1 barbarian 4 blademasters/archers/assassins, and 1 cleric. Which squad will do more damage? To figure this out you need to first figure out how much damage on average each class would do with APS and all that other stuff their gear might give them. Then how much more would they do with buffs. We know a blademaster/archer/assassin with high APS can out damage a wizard over a minute. So would having 4th blademasters/archers/assassins really be much better than have 3 blademasters/archers/assassins and 1 wizard? Or would the added 30% water damage on the barbarian and the 3 blademasters/archers/assassins plus the damage the wizard is doing with their skills do more damage overall than having a 4th blademasters/archers/assassins? If so, by how much? And what if the wizard keeps debuffing the boss's magic resist with Undine Strike, which lowers magic resist by 60% for 12 secs.?

Or will the squad with 3 blademasters/archers/assassins, and 1 wizard do more damage per minute?

4 blademasters/archers/assassins buffed with frostblade from a wizzie buff monkey outside nirvana. frostblade is a 15min buff, 30min if sage; if they want it, they will get it; just like they get cleric/barb buffs, sge bloodpaint etc
  • SovereignVis - Sanctuary
    SovereignVis - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    4 blademasters/archers/assassins buffed with frostblade from a wizzie buff monkey outside nirvana. frostblade is a 15min buff, 30min if sage; if they want it, they will get it; just like they get cleric/barb buffs, sge bloodpaint etc

How many wizards are going to stand outside and just buff people as they go in? b:lipcurl
    And what if someone dies in Nirvana, then they lose buff.
  • threepointone
    threepointone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Yay seizures!
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How many wizards are going to stand outside and just buff people as they go in? b:lipcurl
    And what if someone dies in Nirvana, then they lose buff.

i know people that have sage barb alts standing outside nirvana for the buff XD
    if frostblade was useful, they would make a wiz too. and it's not like 5aps squads die a lot
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i know people that have sage barb alts standing outside nirvana for the buff XD
    if frostblade was useful, they would make a wiz too. and it's not like 5aps squads die a lot

I think you have made several assumptions here:

First, you have assumed that the people making those assumptions understand how frostblade works. If they read the posts where people were testing frostblade unarmed (or if they performed those tests themselves), they might easily decide that the effort was not worthwhile.

Second, you assume that a buff that might almost guarantee, for an hour, that they do not die would the same priority for them that a buff that increases there average damage by maybe 7% for a half an hour .

And, finally, you assume they would care to dedicate the computer resources they would need for this.

Any one of these issues might be relevant, and since you know them you could maybe ask them?
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think you have made several assumptions here:

First, you have assumed that the people making those assumptions understand how frostblade works. If they read the posts where people were testing frostblade unarmed (or if they performed those tests themselves), they might easily decide that the effort was not worthwhile.

Second, you assume that a buff that might almost guarantee, for an hour, that they do not die would the same priority for them that a buff that increases there average damage by maybe 7% for a half an hour .

And, finally, you assume they would care to dedicate the computer resources they would need for this.

Any one of these issues might be relevant, and since you know them you could maybe ask them?

what i wanted to say is:
    if a squad can finish a run before a buff expires and it's unlikely for the members to die,
    that buff, no matter how valuable it is, wont make the class a lot more desired than it already was.

why? cause people will make alts or seek the buff before they enter, finish the run, rebuff, repeat.
    you only need one more computer, log cleric buff, log barb buff, log wiz buff
    yes, some of them wont have a second pc and some of them wont have friends to buff them; so yes a few will take that class (or wc to pay for the buff/open).

i am not assuming anything; the person i replied to said that maybe fb is strong enough that a party of 4 5aps frostbladed would be faster than a party of 5 5aps
    and i jusst said that even if that's true wizzies will still not be wanted since people will just get the buff usually
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    what i wanted to say is:
    if a squad can finish a run before a buff expires and it's unlikely for the members to die,
    that buff, no matter how valuable it is, wont make the class a lot more desired than it already was.

why? cause people will make alts or seek the buff before they enter, finish the run, rebuff, repeat.

Oh, really? Will they?

You have already said that they do not do this, and I have seen all sorts of mis-placed confidence before, here in the forums.

Meanwhile, Gensis comes out soon...
  • MsSparkles - Heavens Tear
    MsSparkles - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Frostblade Level 1
    Range 20.4 meters
    Mana 225
    Channel 0.8 seconds
    Cast 1.0 seconds
    Cooldown 3.0 seconds
    Weapon Unarmed, Magic Instruments

Requisite Cultivation Aware of Discord
    Place an icy sheen on a squad member's weapon, causing
    their normal attacks to deal extra Water damage equal to
    12% of your base magic attack. Lasts 15 minutes.

Taken from ecatomb, so yes your mag attack effects it. K thnx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Frostblade Level 1
    Range 20.4 meters
    Mana 225
    Channel 0.8 seconds
    Cast 1.0 seconds
    Cooldown 3.0 seconds
    Weapon Unarmed, Magic Instruments

Requisite Cultivation Aware of Discord
    Place an icy sheen on a squad member's weapon, causing
    their normal attacks to deal extra Water damage equal to
    12% of your base magic attack. Lasts 15 minutes.

Taken from ecatomb, so yes your mag attack effects it. K thnx

then get a 100 wizard to buff this on a lvl 1 toon.. go kill something level 3-5 and see if you 1 shot the mob.
    and bad necro =x
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Closed for necro. b:kiss
This discussion has been closed.