Tired of dying

MalygosRune - Dreamweaver
MalygosRune - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Psychic
I am lvl 20 now and have spent half my time either healing with meditation or running back after dying. I can remember what the build is called as I am very new to this game, but it is the one where most points go towards DPS(magic) I believe). It is truly frustrating and I have pretty much given up on being psychic. Am I possibly missing something here, or is it normal for a psychic to die alot? I also can't find any quests. (Yes I searched for quests and none came up except for manufacturing quests). The ones I do have are impossible for me to do alone. Just a little help please, or should I just go back to ***?
Post edited by MalygosRune - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    At level 20, your quests are in archosaur, if you haven't been upgrading your skills along the way at the psychic trainer, take a quick trip to one and you should be able to pick up landslide if you've done your cultivation quests.

The easiest way to find more quests is open the quest log and click the find quest button at the bottom.

But yes, if you're not upgrading your gear properly, you will likely die alot as mobs would be getting stronger but the only thing getting stronger on you is attributes. Also don't undervalue potions, they serve their purposes well.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Psychic get their knockback at early lv, which makes everything easier.
    mostly just need good weapon and mp potion or remedy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • MalygosRune - Dreamweaver
    MalygosRune - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    For some reason I am unable to get the landslide skill. I am pretty sure I have done all quests that are available to me. Even 5 or 6 in archosaur. I think my dying so much and losing 5% exp. every time is what is keeping me from locating new quests. I will see what I can do about getting better gear to try and help my survivability.
  • KanariaRose - Archosaur
    KanariaRose - Archosaur Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Get land slide. I cant remember if you need culti for it, but if you have an orange quest, do it. If not after that you still cant get it, its because you need spirit or money. Once you get it. Aqua impact---> Spirit ----> Land slid
    >repeat. You should be fine as long as you dont pull multiple aggro.

If you STILL have trouble, once you get bubble of life you can do

Bubble
    >aqua impact
    >spirit---->land slide
    >aqua---->spirit

bubble is heal over time so it will keep your hp up during the entire chain
  • Kagizyu - Heavens Tear
    Kagizyu - Heavens Tear Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    i hope ur not using a lvl 5 weapon or have lvl 1 skills or have white voodoo on while grinding
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I am lvl 20 now and have spent half my time either healing with meditation or running back after dying. I can remember what the build is called as I am very new to this game, but it is the one where most points go towards DPS(magic) I believe). It is truly frustrating and I have pretty much given up on being psychic. Am I possibly missing something here, or is it normal for a psychic to die alot? I also can't find any quests. (Yes I searched for quests and none came up except for manufacturing quests). The ones I do have are impossible for me to do alone. Just a little help please, or should I just go back to ***?

it is normal to die a lot as new player
    especially with a squishie class like psych or wizard
    is this your first char? try other classes, a veno for example is a easy pie time when you manage the pet stuffs
    feel free to make a character in every class
    (you will see the wizard hits for the same amout of damage taking more time for each skill and dying as fast as psy)
    a barbarian is most likely not to be killed easy, but... well you picked a caster.. so i guess you want action ^-^

everytime you roll again you do it faster, with less deaths, and when you think you can handle a character that dies in a few hits till high lvls, go for psych or wizard again :P
    i like potato
  • Tinetta - Dreamweaver
    Tinetta - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I honestly just started my psychic bout three days ago. I discovered that at lvl ten i started having the same problem. I was doing 6 into magic, 2 into vitality, and 2 into strength every two levels. I decided to alter my build a bit at that level to doing 5 magic, 4 vitality, and 1 strength every two levels until I hit level seventeen then went back to the original build. I found that it helped me out alot with survivability in the game.

One of the main things is like a wizard you rely on magic attacks. So in this case your magic stat is one of the most important. But if you focus on the magic stat that puts you in a bad situation when it comes to being attacked by multiple mobs which is always a possibility. Thats why i spent a few levels working on my vitality.

What i've found if you have the skills that work best in a macros is Aqua Impact, Spirit Blast, Landslide, Aqua Impact.. At the moment my magic skill is sitting at around 45 i believe. That's with items that mod the skill level equipped. All my armor, my weapon, necklaces and rings all effect my stat lol. I have to unequip all that each level to remember where I am at with my build.

But this is just my opinion and the method I took when i had this issue. There are other ways to solve it. Ways that are probably more efficient that the one i took. All i can do is share my method. Its up to you if you chose to try it or not.

is this your first char? try other classes, a veno for example is a easy pie time when you manage the pet stuffs
    (you will see the wizard hits for the same amout of damage taking more time for each skill and dying as fast as psy)
    a barbarian is most likely not to be killed easy, but... well you picked a caster.. so i guess you want action ^-^

everytime you roll again you do it faster, with less deaths, and when you think you can handle a character that dies in a few hits till high lvls, go for psych or wizard again :P

In alot of respects Hex is right. My psy is actually my 5th character. I started with a Cleric, then an archer, then a veno, then a wizard. I eventually found that I liked the archer better due to its capability. After a while, after i got the hang of doing stat builds as this is the first game i've ever played that did stat build stuff I chose to give a magic user a try again with my psy.

Have a wonderful day and Blessed Be
  • Xempt - Lost City
    Xempt - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    At that low of a level, the best defense for a Psychic is their fast magic attacks along with Black Voodoo. You should be killing all mobs before they even hit you with your Aqua Impact/Spirt Blast combos. You should be a pure magic build (9 magic, 1 strength every 2 levels) until around level 40. At that point, start adding vit. Also remember to use your Bubble of Life to heal yourself, and use White Voodoo when in danger.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Lol whut?
    Even when me first started playing, me was better then the average human.....
    Actually me was too good.
    x.x'
    Had to make use of an inhibitor.
    :/
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThaRazz - Heavens Tear
    ThaRazz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I have to say i went pure mag from lvl 1. i had no problem getting to 20, as well as quests after that. I pretty much killed everything before it hit me. Soloed the few mini bosses we get (Bloodraged cad, haggist, shade eido,etc)
    I think its the best build and u can always add Citrine (+hp) shards and Garnet (+ phys def) shards later on.
    I mostly only die cuz i steal aggro in my bh's b:pleasedb:laugh
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    <cough>necro</cough>

/inb4shellypadlock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • MissxCleric - Sanctuary
    MissxCleric - Sanctuary Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I got a lvl 54 Psychic and I don't die alot.
    Have you lvled your Aqua Impact, Spirit Blast and Black Voodoo?
    You should use Soul of Vengeance and Black Voodoo while killing mobs, though I don't think you need to lvl Soul of Vengeance, it only costs more mana.
    And if you can't learn Landslide, you didn't do your cultivation or you haven't got enough spirit or coins, but make sure you learn it, it's one of the most useful skills for a Psychic.
    Also make sure you got a good weapon (the best weapon you can have at lvl 20 is probably the one from Stash or from Ocean Tusker quest) and if you did all quests, you got the Quest Reward armor and that's the best armor till you can buy lvl 20+ ones at Tailor, I think.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I got a lvl 54 Psychic and I don't die alot.
    Have you lvled your Aqua Impact, Spirit Blast and Black Voodoo?
    You should use Soul of Vengeance and Black Voodoo while killing mobs, though I don't think you need to lvl Soul of Vengeance, it only costs more mana.
    And if you can't learn Landslide, you didn't do your cultivation or you haven't got enough spirit or coins, but make sure you learn it, it's one of the most useful skills for a Psychic.
    Also make sure you got a good weapon (the best weapon you can have at lvl 20 is probably the one from Stash or from Ocean Tusker quest) and if you did all quests, you got the Quest Reward armor and that's the best armor till you can buy lvl 20+ ones at Tailor, I think.

using soul of vengeance during quests is just a mana drain unless the mob has
    X*(ur average hit) + (sov damage)*(numbers of hits u cant avoid from the mob [usually 1-2]).

otherwise sov drains ur mana and doesnt really contibute to ur damage since ur last hit will kill the mob even if u didnt use sov
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited January 2011

For half a second, I thought MagicHamsta was back. :<

Oh, yeah....OP.
    I have two words for you.

VITALITY
    BUILD

I happen to be one. I haven't died from a mob since.....since.....since....like, in a BH surrounded by mobs with no cleric around at level 40 something, because I overestimated my abilities as a magical tank at the time.

Here's my gear now.
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=402326e6a25be32b

DON'T JUDGE ME! Q.Q
    I may not hit quite as hard as the squishy pure MAGS, but I can sure as hell survive a decent Armageddon with that much HP and White Voodoo on; a fact which I am very proud of. (>.> Not that it's because of my VERY crappy PDef....)
    ....and I put MP shards on my feet because I find myself lacking in mana. Don't you dare judge me!

And like everybody else said, level your skills to as high as you can get them. Just about every single one of my skills I CAN get to 10 (except for the Soulforce skills save for soulburn and red tide and of course fish form) I already have. I max out my skills whenever I can. Landslide and Aqua Impact are a deadly combination, as you'll find in higher levels. Most of the time, mobs who are mostly physical won't even REACH you in time to actually deal more than a single hit of damage. And honestly...nobody complains about that. :3
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    just aqua impact and kite, psys are easy to play at early levels.

just 2 skills you have which are OP at early levels.

Ignore the fail post above, VIT (well too much) not useful on mages.

I will show a vid for you how to play psy later :)
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ayarana - Dreamweaver
    Ayarana - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Getting landslide is REALLY important. I use it all the time. I have yet to die on this character but I'm a bit of a veteran of MMOs and I know when to run away and when to stick through a fight.

Use landslide whenever an enemy gets near you. You should be able to slow them with aqua and if you have to you can kite them.

If you run into a quest that requires you to take down a tougher enemy FIND HELP. DO NOT TRY TO TAKE IT ON YOUR OWN. At low levels psychics are way too squishy. Later on it won't matter because you'll be able to tank with white voodoo, but at 20....just find help.

I'm on Dreamweaver, if you see me on feel free to ask for help or ask questions. I'm pretty new to PWI but I'll help if I can.
  • Myujishan - Raging Tide
    Myujishan - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I honestly just started my psychic bout three days ago. I discovered that at lvl ten i started having the same problem. I was doing 6 into magic, 2 into vitality, and 2 into strength every two levels. I decided to alter my build a bit at that level to doing 5 magic, 4 vitality, and 1 strength every two levels until I hit level seventeen then went back to the original build. I found that it helped me out alot with survivability in the game.

Well then here's my suggestion to the both of you...

YOU NEED DAMAGE BUILD! The psychic is a long range, therefore capable of killing enemies before getting hit. The closest you should get to taking damage with a build is by building 7 mag, 2 vit, 1str every 2 levels. This will ensure you hit hard and with a good soulsphere, it will make it so you hit just as hard as someone who has a pure mag build. The entire point of this build is simple: Kill your enemies before they touch you, but maintain enough HP and defense so that you can easily knockback any close foes so they can't hit you again. Mixing Knockback with Aqua impact, you can knock them back as they so slowly walk to you, giving you more time to crush them.

With this build I was also able to tank FB19 and BH29 at level 50. People often under-rate me with this build. At level 53 because of so many people doubting the epic power of the psychic, I was denied the right to tank Qingzi. Instead, a level 40something Barbarian was to tank it. What happened? He died within the minute. So then what do I do? I already have black voodoo on, so my attack is already enhanced at the loss of my defense, And I have Soul of Vengeance on me. So I stack on my soulforce skills, put on Empowered Vigor, ready my genie, and pull aggro off the blademaster.

There was no way I couldn't pull aggro, even if I used white voodoo at that point, so I tank. Cleric gets made that I stole aggro from the blademaster while Qingzi is about 1/4 dead, so she refuses to heal me. Not a problem. Even with my defenses diminished, I used a potion here and there, only about 2-3 potions actually, I use bubble of life, and Second wind. I have Qingzi dead with help from nobody other than the level 32 Wizzy

You want a damage build because later on you get abilities that will empower you even further, so in the meantime, you want to annihilate your foes with great ease by building onto magic.
    I am a proud member of the glorious tideborn master race.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MissxCleric - Sanctuary
    MissxCleric - Sanctuary Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited January 2011

For half a second, I thought MagicHamsta was back. :<

Oh, yeah....OP.
    I have two words for you.

VITALITY
    BUILD

I happen to be one. I haven't died from a mob since.....since.....since....like, in a BH surrounded by mobs with no cleric around at level 40 something, because I overestimated my abilities as a magical tank at the time.

Here's my gear now.

DON'T JUDGE ME! Q.Q
    I may not hit quite as hard as the squishy pure MAGS, but I can sure as hell survive a decent Armageddon with that much HP and White Voodoo on; a fact which I am very proud of. (>.> Not that it's because of my VERY crappy PDef....)
    ....and I put MP shards on my feet because I find myself lacking in mana. Don't you dare judge me!

And like everybody else said, level your skills to as high as you can get them. Just about every single one of my skills I CAN get to 10 (except for the Soulforce skills save for soulburn and red tide and of course fish form) I already have. I max out my skills whenever I can. Landslide and Aqua Impact are a deadly combination, as you'll find in higher levels. Most of the time, mobs who are mostly physical won't even REACH you in time to actually deal more than a single hit of damage. And honestly...nobody complains about that. :3

I think, and that's just my opinion, that Vit on a Psy is useless and that Psy's aren't made to tank, they're DDs, so I should say you'd better just be Pure Mag if you wanna be a good DD. And also I do think SoV is a good buff, I got it lvl 1, but when a (Physical) mob only has like 200 hp left, I just let it attack me and it's dead, then I use Bubble of Life, but it's your choice whether you use SoV or attack once more to kill it.
    edited January 2011
    just aqua impact and kite, psys are easy to play at early levels.

just 2 skills you have which are OP at early levels.

Ignore the fail post above, VIT (well too much) not useful on mages.

I will show a vid for you how to play psy later :)

kite? KITE? KITE AS A PSY!?

a psy never needs to kite. unless he solos a boss.
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    kite? KITE? KITE AS A PSY!?

a psy never needs to kite. unless he solos a boss.

Only bosses I've ever had to kite were Torga and Gouf. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • Myujishan - Raging Tide
    Myujishan - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I think, and that's just my opinion, that Vit on a Psy is useless and that Psy's aren't made to tank, they're DDs, so I should say you'd better just be Pure Mag if you wanna be a good DD. And also I do think SoV is a good buff, I got it lvl 1, but when a (Physical) mob only has like 200 hp left, I just let it attack me and it's dead, then I use Bubble of Life, but it's your choice whether you use SoV or attack once more to kill it.
    But we can tank the hell outta magic mobs. In fact, mages make the best mobs in BH29, which, sure, only good for a while, but we can tank almost any magic mobs/bosses with a vit build. Besides, if your gear is good enough, you can do the same damage with a vit build psy as with a mag build psy...

Though for the record, I do use mag build, I'm just sayin...
    I am a proud member of the glorious tideborn master race.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Only bosses I've ever had to kite were Torga and Gouf. b:surrender

how about jewel b:Avoid
  • Gorgonnia - Heavens Tear
    Gorgonnia - Heavens Tear Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Ive tanked Jewel pretty easily... and a few days ago I tanked 3-3 BH boss b:victory

forgot to say: with no cleric :D
    edited January 2011
    Ive tanked Jewel pretty easily... and a few days ago I tanked 3-3 BH boss b:victory

forgot to say: with no cleric :D

let me correct myself: how about jewel at ~80 xd
    no cleric for jewel or the 3-3 boss? xd
  • Gorgonnia - Heavens Tear
    Gorgonnia - Heavens Tear Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    let me correct myself: how about jewel at ~80 xd
    no cleric for jewel or the 3-3 boss? xd

for 3-3 boss... tanked it till cleric came back and res'd the whole squad
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    for 3-3 boss... tanked it till cleric came back and res'd the whole squad

hax b:shocked
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • UrDian - Harshlands
    UrDian - Harshlands Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Psychic is about fast, massive damage. You can always swap into White Voodoo if you need to stay alive for a moment.

I am, and always have been, a pure magic build - 9 mag 1str every 10 pts. I didn't die one single time, in PvE, on my psy till in my 5x levels. Make sure you keep your skills maxed and begin your attacks from max range.

If you can't kill mobs on a psy - quit and go back to Rune Scape. Seriously, it's probably the easiest class in the game to solo level through your quests.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited January 2011

bla bla bla bla bla

bla blabla

Here's my gear now.

bla bla bla

seriously +6 refines on lvl7x?

seeing that **** ring refined to +6
    /fail D:!

wth, any other class can make lvl 70 without shards or refines

and uhm, whats te point of that headgear >_>?

+5 weapon and a shabby saphire? o.O
    i like potato
    edited January 2011

pwicalc is bugged for some psy weapons and it considers them g0 so u can only put a shabby.

if u had seen my cala app, u would know since i had a shabby sapph too and mentioned the issue b:avoid
  • budi66
    budi66 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011

seeing that **** ring refined to +6
    /fail D:!

wth, any other class can make lvl 70 without shards or refines

and uhm, whats te point of that headgear >_>?

Yeah and wtf? Might ring? o.o