Why do people play this game?

Options
newplayer99
newplayer99 Posts: 6 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Just wondering what the allure is with this game and why people play it. This is my observations so far.

- At level 14 I had a looking for group up for several hours and no one responded
- I whispered about 10 active players and used general chat in town either asking for some advice or if would like to party and no one responded
- It takes an insane amount of time to travel between different places even within same town
- No voice chat for parties to communicate with each other
- Game is extremely repetitive and no interesting quests
- Interface is really awkward as certain things are difficult to see, there's no sound when get a whisper, and can't even view someones level which further makes forming a party frustrating
- Spend more money to be able to compete in PVP than would with a subscription based game
Post edited by newplayer99 on

Comments

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    To stroke their e-peen because they can't get a girl to do it for them :P
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Just wondering what the allure is with this game and why people play it.

Because for $80 you can buy endgame gear and the hyper stones to get there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Ao_Ren - Lost City
    Ao_Ren - Lost City Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Just wondering what the allure is with this game and why people play it. This is my observations so far.

- At level 14 I had a looking for group up for several hours and no one responded Maybe because A) It's really easy to solo-level at 14... or B) Because you were on at the wrong time of day and nobody was on or C) Nobody was doing what you needed the party for...
    - I whispered about 10 active players and used general chat in town either asking for some advice or if would like to party and no one responded Lazy maybe? Busy? AFK? DC'd? Something? Who knows...
    - It takes an insane amount of time to travel between different places even within same town Teleport, mount, nuff said.
    - No voice chat for parties to communicate with each other ... I actually don't know any mmorpg that HAS voice chat for party's... Besides if you're going to use voice chat just get everyone to DL skype, ventrilo or something...
    - Game is extremely repetitive and no interesting quests Uuh... THAT'S WHAT AN MMORPG IS... Geez, 99% of mmorpg's revolve mainly around: Killing things, gathering things, instances, npcs or similar variations, there's very few mmorpg's that require you to go and fly a plane, bomb a town, sneak into a giant castle, set off some traps, steal some gold, run away from the giant dragon and trap it in a cage to level up... Besides the quests might be interesting, you know, IF YOU READ WHAT THEY SAID, yes, those weird white inscriptions that you're unable to read as you click your mouse 10 times a second, those are words...
    - Interface is really awkward as certain things are difficult to see, there's no sound when get a whisper, and can't even view someones level which further makes forming a party frustrating What's difficult to see? I can see my entire interface just fine, clearly you need glasses or something... Of course there's no sound when you get a whisper, I'd kinda hate it if I was chatting to 2 people and heard a "DING" sound every time they said lol or something... No, you can't see player levels, you can ASK them for their level though, and you can see it in party, so I don't get how that's more than a 10 second inconvenience for you...
    - Spend more money to be able to compete in PVP than would with a subscription based game Last I checked, you also spend months in those games grinding for the end game gear that you can apparently buy here, also, just for a little fact, you can also grind the items to make your gear here too, or you can grind the money to buy the gear as well, besides these games kind of need to make a profit as well, seeing as how, oh, I dunno, THEY'RE FREE, most free to play games normally abide by one rule: Free to Play, Pay to be free to do whatever you want.

Curse you character limit >.> as if I didn't type enough.
  • Ninja_Dagger - Dreamweaver
    Ninja_Dagger - Dreamweaver Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    To stroke their e-peen because they can't get a girl to do it for them :P

rong again newb!
    got 1 to do that yesterday b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    when life gives you lemons
    put them in a sack and beat your wife
    with them b:victory
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You're usually not going to get a party at level 14 unless someone is killing the same mobs you are. Actually, most party-based things are pretty exclusively for bosses and dungeons only.

Also, you're better off asking the forums about most things game-related. We even have a section for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My god....you're right. People shouldn't be playing this game....how blind we were! Let's all stop playing and leave at once!

/Sarcasm
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Curse you character limit >.> as if I didn't type enough.

The character count doesn't include those you type in quoted text

- At level 14 I had a looking for group up for several hours and no one responded
    - I whispered about 10 active players and used general chat in town either asking for some advice or if would like to party and no one responded
    - It takes an insane amount of time to travel between different places even within same town
    - Interface is really awkward as certain things are difficult to see, there's no sound when get a whisper, and can't even view someones level which further makes forming a party frustrating
    - Spend more money to be able to compete in PVP than would with a subscription based game

Yea,cool observations but when you don't think of reasons why these things happen and make threads like this,you make yourself look like a complete troll/moron/idiot etc.
  • Healforwimps - Heavens Tear
    Healforwimps - Heavens Tear Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The character count doesn't include those you type in quoted text

Yea,cool observations but when you don't think of reasons why these things happen and make threads like this,you make yourself look like a complete troll/moron/idiot etc.

Actually smart ***,the guys still new,hes stating his observations on what hes found so far ingame..at lvl 14 he doesn't have ingame experience so obviously he can't think of reasons why these things happen,his post was just as valid as most of the **** gets posted on forum,if not more so.

He made a fairly reasonable post with no insulting of any kind,and jackasses like you jump on him and label him the troll!

Only wrong he did really was stick it in wrong section.

Course,if hes an alt then i stand corrected.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

How would a level 14 know much about PVP?

These observations have a slight bit of truth to them but they are either nitpicky (voice chat, travel, squadding at 14, repetition in questing) or utterly asinine (PVP).

If you want to know why I play this game, it's because it has a mix of both individual-like quests and squad-based. There are good people in this game, and when bored I go out of my way to help people, usually in the form of helping them quest, giving them buffs, helping do their BH. Not much, but it's far more than whiners will do. Still, some people have expectations way too high. Pretty much every MMORPG I've ever come across in the last, oh, 10'ish years, has been a grindfest. It's up to you to find your niche in w/e game you play. If you don't, find another to play.
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I used to play this game. I played this game because I used to love it, and the people in it. I played it because it was fun, and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the feeling I got when my Demon Cleric would take out legions of our enemies in TW. I enjoyed it when my Psychic critical one shotted some random PvPer. I enjoyed sitting in south archosaur doing nothing.

But now there is barely any fun to it anymore. The TWs are gone. The PvPers have gotten so strong, I can't oneshot them anymore. Nobody but catshops and AFK Zulus are in South anymore. The people in it just throw their money in the air and make a wish, and it magically comes true.

And so, I purchased Final Fantasy XIV for christmas. Now, I am giving the finger to PWI....and quietly shooting magic fire at things. And there are people who sit randomly in the streets talking about Final Fantasies of the past. And their map is filled with bright colors, because there is more than one strong guild out there in the world. And when you do get PK'd, there is no QQing--it's quick, and impersonal, and the attacker is polite enough to not rub it in your face, and says "good game."

And do you know what the best part was?

....I pressed the O key, and nothing happened. And I smiled.

Leave while you still can. I used to have hope for this game until the Summer's Sale. Now I know exactly what PWE is really caring about, and it's hardly their players.
  • TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide
    TheMagicPimp - Raging Tide Posts: 1,946 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If a new low lvl player see's several problems early game then I wonder what he'd say if he saw late xD
    It's all about LoL,yo.
  • newplayer99
    newplayer99 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I whispered and used general chat around a ton of players who were moving around and spamming the trade chat and still didn't get a reply. I'm used to playing Dungeons and Dragons which spoiled me and have played 4 other MMORPGs. The main reason I joined perfect world is because DDO doesn't have open pvp. However, quest diversity and puzzles and such is common in many MMORPGs so it's not as much of a repetitive grind. Someone mentioned mounts but they are ridiculously expensive and for higher levels. I've never played an MMORPG were spend half playing time running from place to place (even with the town-town teleport).

I find the biggest issue is the the interface itself though. The interface doesn't encourage and make it easy to facilitate easy creation and finding of parties. Quality MMORPGs you hit one button you see the level/class/location of the player and quest they are looking to do. Only parties I see are people repeatedly spamming the chat looking for people levels 80+. Also, there's no advice chat channel or some kind of mentor system.

I understand why some people may be into this game but being that already at this stage it's already extremely boring, repetitive, have to spend hundreds of dollars or hundreds of hours to afford quality items, most players being unfriendly/unhelpful.... I don't think this game is right for me personally.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Actually smart ***,the guys still new,hes stating his observations on what hes found so far ingame..at lvl 14 he doesn't have ingame experience so obviously he can't think of reasons why these things happen,his post was just as valid as most of the **** gets posted on forum,if not more so.

He made a fairly reasonable post with no insulting of any kind,and jackasses like you jump on him and label him the troll!

Only wrong he did really was stick it in wrong section.

Course,if hes an alt then i stand corrected.

Well,if you need ingame experience to know why no one is responding to you or why a game doesn't have something you expected it to have,I'll suggest you run along and continue Life instead of playing.

Hey,look,I whispered people and they don't reply.Why?It's impossible for them to be AFK

Hey,why isn't there a notification when I receive a whisper?IT SAID SO IN THE MMORPG DESCRIPTION.Oh wait,it doesn't

I've done so many quests and all of them seem the same.They should have different quest objectives so I don't kill the same mob.It's so boring when the NPC tells a story and ends up with me killing something.No other MMORPG is like this.

Why isn't there voice chat?I want a voice chat so I can talk to other people cause there's absolutely no other way to communicate.

Walking takes so long.I want instant teleport.There's no auto-path or anything similar whatsoever in this game.They didn't even say it in the Guides or Information.Oh wait,it does.

Interface sucks.I didn't know it would be like this.I just joined it cause it said 3D.The web sucks,there's no screenshots.Oh wait,there is.

OMG,I'm level 14,IM UB3R 1337Z0R IN TEH PVP.
    [/sarcasm]

Obviously,this guy is someone's alt and tries to secretly pretends to scold the game and is afraid of his main getting banned.
  • Sheikah - Raging Tide
    Sheikah - Raging Tide Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    don't think this game is right for me personally.

Then don't play it lol no ones forcing you. If you don't like it that's fine you have different tastes and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Personally I love this game. I love it because: I can do most things solo (I don't know why your so concerned with getting parties lol).

I like the traveling its fun seeing the sights, but then I've always been fond of that sort of thing in rl lol

I like helping lower lvls and new people in the game.

I've played 4-5 mmos I've never seen some the things you don't like this game not having....ijs

I like doing TW,

and mounts aren't just for high lvls I don't think......don't some have a lvl 20 or so requirement? Can't remember...

But as I said before if you don't like that's fine, just don't play it. You don't have to play or love every mmo in existence lol :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Some people might playing just for the character customization
    Some people like how pwe games allowing you to sell / buy zen in game
    (no matter how high the price)
    Some people might just like to grief and pk rich cser
    The character customization make non gamer interested
    Easy option available for casual gamer

To join world chat drama
    Money intensive character development
    Family play ground
    Fun forum
    Laugh to the economy

Some people always hoping the old days back
    Some people watching waiting it to die
    Some people help **** the game

Show off for rich people
    They like expensive things

Especially with PWE spreading PWI on so many social network . . b:shutup
    If you log in not to play, you can log in just to use the game as social place . .
    Especially with infinite way to customize your avatar + show off how rich you are . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    With the exception of your Call to Duty quests, the game is mostly solo until lvl 40 or so. There are only a couple of quests you need to have help with, and the rest you should do solo because you get more exp and you'll level more quickly doing them. During this time you're to familiarize yourself with your skills and what your particular class can and can't do.

When you do get to the point you need help more often, join a faction... one that it active and has at least 30-40 people on at any given time. It may take a while for you to find a good one, but a good faction will have a voice chat application in place so you can communicate.

You're only lvl 14. You haven't even really seen the game yet. Nothing really starts happening until you're 30-40. You can get from 1-30 in two days of playing without hypers and just doing your quests.

Most people won't help lowbies. At the point where you are, there is no need for you to ask for help. You should be able to do everything yourself.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    the op has already posted multiple posts around the same theme - the game isnt exaclty the same as others he has played AND doesnt do everything like HE wants it to.

He also stated in another post that the 10 or so people he pm'd was to ask them for gold to buy potions. WTG OP. I don't have time for beggars in the game (enough in real life). It is not difficult at early levels to level, to earn enough coin to buy potions, to earn enough coin and spirit (especially with 2x every other week) to level skills.

If you want an automatic party system play one of pwe's newer games, BOI or FW when it begins. Meanwhile people here seem to have no problem forming parties at any level, press T, invite people. shock how difficult is that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    How would a level 14 know much about PVP?.
    b/c in this day in age there are more than one PVP game out there. They are all basically the same principle when it comes to PVP.

Now on to the OP.

I know the game can be a bit confusing at first it was for me too and still is tbh. The best thing for you to do is read this section carefully and devote some time to understanding what people have posted here:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

This way you can learn as much about the game as you can so you can progress easily. The best way to lvl is by solo questing (at first) then I guess you can do instances at each tier 19,29,39,49,51,59,69 etc. At least that is what I have read and done.

If you have questions its better to go to a populated area (like the lvl 20+ zone) and ask, sometimes when your in the main starting city's there are not very many people who are not afk to ask unless you see them moving around. Also you can post in the forums if you have any questions. Most people are willing to help, you just gotta ignore the trolls and remember that this game is a F2P game (free to play) so you will find a lot of young kids playing it.

EDIT: oh and btw the UI is getting an update in Feb, I have not seen it yet to tell you how good it is, but I am sure its going to be a much needed improvement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    sikozu wrote: »
    b/c in this day in age there are more than one PVP game out there. They are all basically the same principle when it comes to PVP.
    So you're gonna tell people about PVP in this game not having done it? I've only done TW and cube -- even so, I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to give PVP advice or critique and that's with level 100s of my own. Maybe you can give an adequate critique of rebirth delta. After all, this game isn't the only one with instance-based squad play. What's your take?
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

EDIT: oh and btw the UI is getting an update in Feb, I have not seen it yet to tell you how good it is, but I am sure its going to be a much needed improvement.

^I lol'd so hard...
  • Sheikah - Raging Tide
    edited December 2010
    Options
    and remember that this game is a F2P game (free to play) so you will find a lot of young kids playing it.

Um...I'm 21, and most of the people I have ever met in any F2P were adults....so I'd rethink that if I were you...ijs.

Edit: plus don't you have to be 13+ to play this game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Well that was written on rules but how to find out their real age ?

Age didn't mean much, what important is they act immature & think their well being the most important or not. Or how well they realize what actually happening . .
    Much more younger kids can be more mature than 5 year older teens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Sheikah - Raging Tide
    edited December 2010
    Options

Age didn't mean much, what important is they act immature & think their well being the most important or not. Or how well they realize what actually happening . .

Who said anything about maturity? lol I was just making a point that legally speaking there "shouldn't be" young kids here per the rules(whether that rules is necessary or not could be debated, but alas not for us to decided but PWE and other game owning companies) . To be honest I don't care who plays, lol But you are right about maturity there are times where you can't tell who's the kid and who's the adult b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

I know this to be true.

Um...I'm 21, and most of the people I have ever met in any F2P were adults....so I'd rethink that if I were you...ijs.

By younger I mean anyone below the age of 18. I have met literally hundreds of people who are not even old enough to get their drivers permit in this game. Not to mention the level of maturity on these forums leads me to believe 90% of the people who visit it are 16 and younger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • Freizer - Lost City
    Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

That's because people over 50 in level know you don't need a squad to do the quests, it's not hard to kill 15 mobs
    - I whispered about 10 active players and used general chat in town either asking for some advice or if would like to party and no one responded Advice on how to play your class/game? I think there's forums on this..oh wait we're in them.
    - It takes an insane amount of time to travel between different places even within same town Not really, we have FREE genie skills called Holy path...and bms,venos,barbs and archers all have some speed increase be it a skill or form.
    Ventrillo, team speak, skype point me out an MMO that does.
    in wow as you say you play, you paid for easy leveling because it was expected for the amount of money you were shelling out. Players here pay 80$ (less than all the wow expansions and sets) to get endgame gear, and or hypers. Even then level 30 can be reached in 2-3 days. and then you have BH's, Crazy stones, and frost higher up. If
    - Interface is really awkward as certain things are difficult to see, there's no sound when get a whisper, and can't even view someones level which further makes forming a party frustrating You obivously didn't watch world chat (they specify levels all the time) , OR look at peoples gear gear. gear is a good indication of the level range..and honestly if you're within 10 levels of someone there's no problem.
    - Spend more money to be able to compete in PVP than would with a subscription based gameonce again not so. Yes there are plenty of people who spend a boat load of money to pvp. But if you're good and know your class you can carve out a niche and do just fine. We also have PVP and PVE servers for that specific reason.

[Honestly.. not to go all old player rant. But especially if you're coming from a hand fed game like wow. you need to give this more of a chance . We are Free to play.. but pay to do what you want. And personally i've spent less money on this game than buying all the wow games and the subscription (for a year) and enjoyed all three years of my time

that also being said..game is questionable at the moment...only because they put Rank 8 in the CS which is disapointing
    Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Here's a better question: Why don't people play this game?

I can answer that one.
  • Teppeii - Dreamweaver
    Teppeii - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,206 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I cannot believe you all took to this troll bait.b:sweat
    On indefinite hiatus :3
  • Kyna - Lost City
    Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Why do you need a party at level 14? It's not like it's that hard to level then, most people if they played quite a good bit in a day could make it to level 30... before the day ends. And that's just an average player, not even someone that's game-obsessed.

Maybe they didn't want to talk to you? There is a bit of noob hatred on the game, you can always come to the forums and ask for advice where people are more inclined to fill you in. Or you could look it up here. No big.

- It takes an insane amount of time to travel between different places even within same town Tele maybe? Initially it will take some time, especially when you're playing a caster class that can't fly yet.

What MMO has this? I thought everyone just used vent or skype for that.

=_=; that's generally most MMO's

Oh boo hoo, this is a game not a social network. Not the game's fault if you're not paying attention and you get a whisper or something. Having a noise for it would be irritating as many conversations as I've been known to carry at once while on world quest or something. And you know... Not being able to see others' levels is one of the few things I REALLY like about this game. It makes PvP more interesting, because every once in a while a guy picks on you that has no clue what exactly they're picking on. It's kinda fun but maybe I'm just odd.

Eh, yeah not a whole lot of people like that about this game but whatever. if I can PvP at least a little bit and get away with it, I'm happy. I gave up on being too awfully competitive since I've refused to spend money on the game for the past year. I play it to have fun... and to me that's joining a pk war with friends, or running instances with them. That's what a game is for after all is it not? I may have gripes with how they market their things but in the end it's only a way to pass the time.

Ta-da
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
    LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
    ... and a few losers....
  • Freizer - Lost City
    Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I cannot believe you all took to this troll bait.b:sweat

but misdirected ranting is o-so much fun. Trolls need to exist so sane people stay sane b:surrender
    Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
  • Sheikah - Raging Tide
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I know this to be true.

By younger I mean anyone below the age of 18. I have met literally hundreds of people who are not even old enough to get their drivers permit in this game. Not to mention the level of maturity on these forums leads me to believe 90% of the people who visit it are 16 and younger.

....Teenagers are typically more mature (or should be..)but ok.....

Although most of the immature, etc people on here are usually the adults I think....but whatever doesn't really matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]