Please, cut the costs of playing??

Options
FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
I love this game dearly-its my home online. and i love the characters here (though not the mouthy players). but wake up, devs, mods and owners- when you pick up your morning paper, dont you see how bad the economy is? how do you think that any but a few players can afford those beautiful new mounts?

i used to buy gold often, till the Feds started cutting down what i got for SSI income and medicaid. but no longer....now my husband has to pay out of pocket for medications and food that we had help with. now i cant get surgery that will help stop the progression of cancer. with the 'coinsinks' PWI installed, i cant save up enough now to buy on the AH.

this is a new vid by Kephras. he says much i agree with, but i dont know how anyone can compair the beauty and lightness of PWI's looks, pets, etc, and compare them to the dismalness, lower quality art and all of L---0....to each their own. i guess it comes down to what your RL is like....i desperatly need the beauty of PWI...i never cared much for the TBs, but perhaps the new home of the new characters might be prettier. but i am as far as i can go alone...and all my friends have left.

bottom line remains, though, that PWI is now a game for those with fistfuls of money they dont mind blowing on handfuls of pixils that, according to the TOS, they dont really even own! you just pay $15+ for the right to play with it awhile.

Please,PWI, please cut prices and leave them down at 08 prices, and i can almost promise you will have a tidlalwave of new players come back
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
"Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
Playing here since '08b:heart
Post edited by FoxRunning - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Mad__Skillz - Raging Tide
    Mad__Skillz - Raging Tide Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Im sorry but thats wishful thinking, they only care about money not player opinions.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The cost of playing remains the same it's always been: $0

However, you can't play the game for free the same way anymore, because of Packs.

When grinding was the primary source of coins in the economy you could grind/farm for coins and that would pay your way for free. But the primary source of coins in the game is now Packs, so in order to pay your way you need to appeal to Pack buyers.

The successful Free-to-Play players that I know do so by focusing on mats such as TT. It's worth noting, though, that TT isn't what it used to be. TT used to be a premium source of income while grinding was a subsistence level, but now TT is subsistence level and grinding is near-worthless.

Or there is always merchanting, which has consistently scaled equally with price shifts. ~$100 per month in free Gold is pretty standard, regardless of what Gold prices are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Not to sound harsh but when you find trouble with your finances in real life, it's time for you to stop using the money you could have used to help your situation in life instead of in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    as much as I can sympathize with you about the disease and finacial problems, I have to agree with Roid. There comes a time when you have to decide that real life is more important than a game. If you need money for medical treatment, then you shouldnt spend a dime on this game.

And with that said, I'll leave on this note:
    It sounds to me like you shouldn't be asking for lower prices, because that implies you still plan to spend some small amount of money. If you are really in a financial bind, then it is time for you to start playing this game F2P style.

I hope you get better and the Feds will stop ****ing you over, but until either of those happen, you shouldn't put a cent into this game, whether they lower the prices or not.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The successful Free-to-Play players that I know do so by focusing on mats such as TT. It's worth noting, though, that TT isn't what it used to be. TT used to be a premium source of income while grinding was a subsistence level, but now TT is subsistence level and grinding is near-worthless.

I'd like to get a scale of what you mean by "subsistence level" and "near-worthless". Immediately before 2x, I was grinding 1m per hour by reselling DQ (2m/hour during 2x). Now, I'm fairly certain that you make more than me, so I am in no way bragging. But do you really consider 1m/hour near-worthless?
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Their goal is to make money.

They would make more money with the price and amount of players today then the price and the amount of players back then.

Honestly, I do miss 120k gold.

@Roid Stop bragging that you are rich like crazy.
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear
    KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I still dont see why people complain about gold.Why?If you bought gold with RL cash you should be like OMG HELLLL YEAH..gold selling for 900-1mill each is awsome when u got the gamblers buying it..stock up on coin and spend wisely..set goals for your character(s).I run 3 active alts 2 lvl100's and a 95 and it can get pricey so i have to do my bh 100's for profit sell what i get..

100k gold days i dont miss at all prob cause i dont use mp/hp charms anymore because thats for the weak!And crack kills.
  • Sharksfire - Heavens Tear
    Sharksfire - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Not to put words in the OP's mouth (hands), I think what she is saying is that she cant afford to buy gold any longer, she needs to grind coin and buy from the AH. I know its a real **** anymore with the prices of gold.

@Kaz take urself to TW and see how "weak" you are without your charm

08 prices are sadly wishful dreaming, I totally agree with you tho Fox. I wish you good fortune and a better new year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What costs? You don't have to be the best equips, 5 aps chars or everything refined to +10 etc. Just play with what you got and you'll be fine.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Torsay - Sanctuary
    Torsay - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Even if it was lots of times harder to play this game without charging zen than it is now. I wouldn't advise you to throw money into this black hole. In the end you clearly get nothing out of it anyway.

The company that runs this game doesn't make their paying customers happy. Never did and that's not gonna change. Gold prices are clearly mostly driven by merchants and price of packs in botique. Merchants is a specific kind of mostly free players.

Basically one pack generates about 400k coins of average. When packs are at 50 silver, price of gold in auction is never going to drop under 800k because of merchants.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What costs? You don't have to be the best equips, 5 aps chars or everything refined to +10 etc. Just play with what you got and you'll be fine.

Have to disagree with that.

Since hitting 100, it's hit me like a slap in the face how much of a factor having -int and good gear is. So far I'm only 3 aps, need to change to demon for 4 and nirvana pants for 5.

My main list of options for each day are

-FCC, rarely do since I go to town a lot in nirvana and lose exp very fast, and thoroughly sick of the place by now anyway.
    -TT, either I do a low level TT or my aps IS a huge factor in getting into a decent squad.
    -BH. Fb99 isn't too bad, but apart from that we have 3-3, warsong and delta and good gear is often a factor.
    -Nirvana. Aps required. End of.
    -PK, definitely want good gear unless you enjoy being repeatedly squashed.

Really, without decent gear the game would become extremely boring veeeery fast. Since going from sage pure axe budget build to 4.0 hybrid, I suddenly find myself invited to squads, accepted into any instances, added to friend lists, and able to try a wide variety of different things ingame.
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Dear PWE,

I would be obliged if you could pay me to play your Free to Play Game, PWI.

That is all.

regards.

Disgruntled of Broken Bridge Village

or, if you can't afford to keep up with the cash shop kiddies in the PK stakes - stop trying and just enjoy hanging out with your friends in game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'd like to get a scale of what you mean by "subsistence level" and "near-worthless". Immediately before 2x, I was grinding 1m per hour by reselling DQ (2m/hour during 2x). Now, I'm fairly certain that you make more than me, so I am in no way bragging. But do you really consider 1m/hour near-worthless?

They're most likely talking in comparison to the value of gold.

That 1m you make now would get you 1 gold and some change. When gold prices were 100k that would get you 10. It's much harder playing for free now.

PWI has re-designed the game to make it incredibly enticing for new players to cash shop right from the get-go. In fact, if you had to start off from scratch, without any friends, without any assets, would you even play the game?

I wouldn't.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I will point out FoxRunning that largely I think you're weird. I think I was in a faction with you at one point over a year ago and you seemed nice but rather malcontent and would pretty much find reasons to complain about something despite other people's best efforts. So that is a familiar impression I got from this post.

As for the specific things in your post, not to demonize PWI but the way it works with economic downturns and video games is.. especially like this one.. they make good money still. When the reality of losing one's job sinks in (with unemployment/SSI money supplementing income), a horrible economy, a country at war with, uh, whatever it's supposedly at war with, fantasy-style games become more tantalizing. Socially, people want to keep up with others. This is why you see people with an Impreza WRX STi treated differently than someone with a two decade old Toyota Camry. In recent months, you're a second rate endgame BM if you use the 90s mold fist; A second rate veno without a herc.. and so on. Social statuses are derived from things that are considered rich. This is one of several side effects to the rep sale -- it ruined the social status of a handful of people from having 1337 awsum and rare/expensive gear to having something anyone can get. That is why it pisses off those who derive their pleasure from social status, because if playing the game itself were fun, it simply wouldn't matter how someone else got similar gear.

As for economics, telling PWI to change the gold prices is like selling the government to change the prices of Snickers bars back to what it was 50 years ago because you want chocolate and it's too expensive for your liking. First off, setting such a low price ceiling will stand to create less trade, because gold sellers want the most for their coin. Secondly, buyers want the lowest, so creating a price ceiling in the fashion the OP wants will dwindle the supply of gold greatly because the suppliers of gold will have far less incentive to buy gold or merchants less incentive to play in the gold market. The result of gold prices are from other players who manipulate the gold market by buying and selling. PWI can indirectly affect the prices of certain things -- for instance, people were trying to sell Helm of Holy Punishments for 190-195m because of TOBL, but weren't selling ****, so the prices already dropped to 90 - 120m because of excess supply w/little demand. Maybe OP can be a little more understanding of how a market functions and work with the system that is fine instead of trying to blow it up out of personal differences with it.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Grinding DQ is actually pretty good. Although there are no dragon orbs in the event boutique, you can mirage spam with the Tishas, I know a lot of friends who have refined decently high that way. There are no great mounts in the Event Boutique, but at least there are still mounts, and at least they give you a mount for playing the game long enough. There is also fashion in the Event Boutique. All in all, for the casual player who don't care to fight other people, the game is good enough. It's the competitive player who usually get pissed at how the game has ended up.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Thinkalot - Dreamweaver
    Thinkalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Grinding DQ is actually pretty good. Although there are no dragon orbs in the event boutique, you can mirage spam with the Tishas, I know a lot of friends who have refined decently high that way. There are no great mounts in the Event Boutique, but at least there are still mounts, and at least they give you a mount for playing the game long enough. There is also fashion in the Event Boutique. All in all, for the casual player who don't care to fight other people, the game is good enough. It's the competitive player who usually get pissed at how the game has ended up.

SO TRUE.

I was thinking about buying a cheap mount for my 3rd toon, cause flying at 0.5 aint all that fun, until i got that free pwi anni mount. AWEsome.

Then the DQ themselves. I don't grind that much, but the DQ's give me points to buy do-all cards for my cube runs. AWEsome.

And indeed, the competitive player is pissed at everything. I'm always happy because i don't care if someone has 5.0 or whatever rank gear. I figur that by the time i reach that lvl and cash, those players will LOOOOOOONG be gone because they got bored and realized it aint worth it in the end, lmfao.

IF you take the game for what it is, an enjoyable escape from reality from time to time,
    then only you will have fun and realize real life is more important that having pretty pixels on your screen.
  • Tigriss_o - Raging Tide
    Tigriss_o - Raging Tide Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    @Roid Stop bragging that you are rich like crazy.

b:questionI don't see Roid say anything about his own financial condition. He was only giving pretty damn good advice. If you have fallen on hard times you don't spend your money on games. Just wish my brother would learn that lesson B4 he gets himself evicted for the 5th time in 3 years.

But again he said nothing about being rich.
    They're most likely talking in comparison to the value of gold.

That 1m you make now would get you 1 gold and some change. When gold prices were 100k that would get you 10. It's much harder playing for free now.

PWI has re-designed the game to make it incredibly enticing for new players to cash shop right from the get-go. In fact, if you had to start off from scratch, without any friends, without any assets, would you even play the game?

I wouldn't.

Thats normal inflation in games. I do miss the days of getting gold for under 100k and under. I used to buy gold, get petpacks, Open them, Sell the PF and SOF to catshops go back and do it all over again. I used to make 10mil in 15mins just running back and forth from auction house to catshops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mad__Skillz - Raging Tide
    Mad__Skillz - Raging Tide Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

And indeed, the competitive player is pissed at everything. I'm always happy because i don't care if someone has 5.0 or whatever rank gear. I figur that by the time i reach that lvl and cash, those players will LOOOOOOONG be gone because they got bored and realized it aint worth it in the end, lmfao.

IF you take the game for what it is, an enjoyable escape from reality from time to time,
    then only you will have fun and realize real life is more important that having pretty pixels on your screen.

The best post in this whole thread.
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    b:questionI don't see Roid say anything about his own financial condition. He was only giving pretty damn good advice. If you have fallen on hard times you don't spend your money on games. Just wish my brother would learn that lesson B4 he gets himself evicted for the 5th time in 3 years.

But again he said nothing about being rich.

Oh it's just that he is super rich IRL, so he doesn't need to worry about his basic needs as much.
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • cybluerr
    cybluerr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Buying gold is a luxury not a necessity to play this game.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Please, cut the costs of playing??

There is no cost to playing. -Fail thread.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Oh it's just that he is super rich IRL, so he doesn't need to worry about his basic needs as much.

If I remember correctly he's a college student that has merch'd (in-game) like... everything he has. Maybe he is super rich IRL, I dunno, but he hasn't said anything to suggest that he is or isn't so why assume? You don't need to be rich to have common sense. lol

/stalker mode
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thats normal inflation in games. I do miss the days of getting gold for under 100k and under. I used to buy gold, get petpacks, Open them, Sell the PF and SOF to catshops go back and do it all over again. I used to make 10mil in 15mins just running back and forth from auction house to catshops.

That's not NORMAL inflation. The economy of PWI has been systematically and purposely altered and inflated by the management to entice players to spend more real money.

In game methods of making money have been reduced or eliminated. This along with the value of the dollar in relation to coin has been influenced by changes for the sole purpose to generate more revenue. This in turn has made the game much more difficult to acquire things without spending money or merchanting.

If you think otherwise you're naive or brain dead.

b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Aio - Lost City
    Aio - Lost City Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Don't forget about the Evian water... since that is just Naive spelled backwards!
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If you can make 1m per hour grinding, then I'm flat out wrong, because that's certainly decent income. I have to admit that I'm no expert at grinding for profit, so my views are based upon what others tell me.

Most people I talk to seem to get somewhere around 200k profit per hour grinding, which I do consider near-worthless. When Gold was ~125k, 200k per hour was about 1.6 Gold per hour, so at current prices 1m per hour is 1.1 Gold per hour. Less, yes, but still reasonable, I'd say.

As far as how much money I make, it's usually about 2m per day for about 1/2 hour of direct merchanting, but most of my wealth now comes from investing and waiting for Gold price shifts. For example, if the price shifts by 10% and I've got 1 billion in Gold, that's 100m profit overnight. Of course, that's only as long as I keep correctly guessing which way it's going to shift, which I admit I don't always do...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    you know what? Venos that complain about making coin is really stupid.. we do it better than anymore -.-.

Stop being lazy.
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

I'm not rich IRL. I'm in college so I'd rather spend my money on other things. No one believes that it's possible to have what I have without spending money but hey, whatever.

And grinding.. 1m per hour by selling to catshops buying DQs right? I actually tried grinding today on my veno so I can get some DQ points. Think I got something like 100k in half of hour killing spiders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    roid i belive u :o many players who came in before days of endless grind do not know the meaning of grind.

and i agree wit roid hun dont spend money on this game especially if you believe "game is dead", which i tend to believe game is on life support not quite dead yet, but as the vid says end game gear in cs....damn near close to being dead. I still belive we can get the things we want and accomplish in game by farming, but GM/Dev(i dont care to make distinguishment right now) has made it harder, i believe, on purpose to *** over ppl who dont spend money on game. Its all about their money and they wont answer us, or listen to us at all because they dont care about us. only our money.

How long have we asked them to improve things and fix glitches? but they keep giving us excuses and going on doing what they can to make money. So just think about that . dont spend money on this game any more. Try instead to earn what u can and have fun with ur friends while it lasts. Then when the game dies, you can move on with no regrets, and no bad feelings.

I wish you the best of luck <3

btw i am dtunk.
  • Tigriss_o - Raging Tide
    Tigriss_o - Raging Tide Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That's not NORMAL inflation. The economy of PWI has been systematically and purposely altered and inflated by the management to entice players to spend more real money.

In game methods of making money have been reduced or eliminated. This along with the value of the dollar in relation to coin has been influenced by changes for the sole purpose to generate more revenue. This in turn has made the game much more difficult to acquire things without spending money or merchanting.

b:bye

You think it's isn't the same in other games?? This is how the econamy is in many games I play. Prices are through the roof in most games. Again it's normal game inflation. Happens in every game paid for by cash shop. Hell it's still easyer to get in game money in PW then it is in over 70% of the games I have ever played. It's normal for a CS paid game to be like this. **** it sucks but It's still normal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If you can make 1m per hour grinding, then I'm flat out wrong, because that's certainly decent income. I have to admit that I'm no expert at grinding for profit, so my views are based upon what others tell me.
    And grinding.. 1m per hour by selling to catshops buying DQs right? I actually tried grinding today on my veno so I can get some DQ points. Think I got something like 100k in half of hour killing spiders.

Yes, by reselling in catshops overnight at significantly higher prices, you can achive this amount. Before 2x, I was getting about 70 DQ drops total (DQ91 + 101) per hour. Supposing an average of 15k per DQ sold, that's 1.05m per hour.

For people buying some sort of medal via DQ points (for rank 9, I think), I actually sell at a value much lower than the gold price required to buy said medal (which is why I am not really afraid to reveal this tactic).

I wish I could make 2m in a half hour, consistently.
This discussion has been closed.