Wiz or Psychic for Rank 9?

Options
PinkToppings - Heavens Tear
PinkToppings - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
In the future I would like to get a rank 9 set for one of my characters but I don't know whether I should give the set to my wizard or to my psychic. It seems like the psychic in rank 9 gear and high refines can be deadly in PVP considering its soul skills are based on refines and 100+ defense level can be easily obtained with white voodoo. And with the added attack levels of the Jone's Blessing and rank 9 set the psychic's damage in white voodoo won't be as nerfed.

Wizards, however, have higher damage per hit and can be buffed with better physical defense than psychics. Physical defense is very important to me since I'm usually targeted by melee classes, especially sins. I also prefer the range of wiz aoes and having physical damage in my attacks is beneficial against arcane users. The slow channeling is a bit annoying though. I don't have to worry about stacking -channeling on a psy.

Anyone with an end-game psy/wiz have any input? If you've fought an end-game psy and wiz in PVP, which of the two was harder to kill?
Post edited by PinkToppings - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    In the future I would like to get a rank 9 set for one of my characters but I don't know whether I should give the set to my wizard or to my psychic. It seems like the psychic in rank 9 gear and high refines can be deadly in PVP considering its soul skills are based on refines and 100+ defense level can be easily obtained with white voodoo. And with the added attack levels of the Jone's Blessing and rank 9 set the psychic's damage in white voodoo won't be as nerfed.

Wizards, however, have higher damage per hit and can be buffed with better physical defense than psychics. Physical defense is very important to me since I'm usually targeted by melee classes, especially sins. I also prefer the range of wiz aoes and having physical damage in my attacks is beneficial against arcane users. The slow channeling is a bit annoying though. I don't have to worry about stacking -channeling on a psy.

Anyone with an end-game psy/wiz have any input? If you've fought an end-game psy and wiz in PVP, which of the two was harder to kill?

R9 psy hit me in TW for ~16k, assuming it was triple spark as I was pulling cata =/. He is pretty squishy though, I might have gotten kill of him so yeah. I myself really dont have that much trouble against psys, wizzies, those really are pain in the butt.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • Lutirica - Harshlands
    Lutirica - Harshlands Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Wizards are very good with elements which helps against all types of classes in the skills that a wiz has. Which is Fire, water and earth i think so any class that is weak against that is what the wiz kills the easiest.

So i would say Wiz fo rank 9 much more rare also.
    Fail troll of harshlands
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

When did you last log on? 3 weeks ago?
  • Lutirica - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    When did you last log on? 3 weeks ago?

why is it any of your business?
    Fail troll of harshlands
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    why is it any of your business?

Because your comment is obviously full of ****? b:cute
  • Lutirica - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options

oh so you know everything about every class on every server?
    Fail troll of harshlands
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    oh so you know everything about every class on every server?

Yes .
    b:dirty
  • Lutirica - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yes .

Well both of you quit the game so i must assume that neither of you know anything about recent events either?
    Fail troll of harshlands
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Well both of you quit the game so i must assume that neither of you know anything about recent events either?

Pssssst....it's called: "Forums" Even if some of the information is over-exaggerated, some of it is still accurate provided you listen to the right people. (Which doesn't include you. At all. Quite the opposite.) You'd be surprised how well people can keep up.
    I know, difficult concept. Try not to hurt yourself.

I suggest not arguing with her; she'll eventually get bored and crawl back under her bridge until she decides to open her big mouth again. She's basically the Yulk of Harshlands, just ignore her and she'll go and cry in her little corner, or bytch some more about Zulu. She whines so much that she shyts Q's.

As for OP: It honestly depends on which you prefer playing. If you enjoy the quick casting, go with the Psychic. If you like nuking everything in sight, go with the Wizard.

Not a lot of people ask for Psychics for runs, at least not as much as Wizards. It's a bit of a tough call since very few people play either these days. Go with whichever makes you more comfortable and suits your playing style.
  • Morty - Raging Tide
    Morty - Raging Tide Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    go for wizard phsy is boring all there weapons look the same who the hell would want to hold a round ball in there hand lmfao
    Is Now On Lost City Under The Name; Mortyy
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

lolwut? we already have 2 r9 wizzies in my guild. only a psy that has some parts of r9
  • Dsholder - Dreamweaver
    Dsholder - Dreamweaver Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Go for rank 9 Psychic they have so many buffs that help them resist physical hits which is good against archers in TW or if a sin attacks and if the sin is sealed then your squad can whipe them pretty fast. Also you can exchange some defense for attack or vice versa depending on the situation.
    [SIGPIC]http://a.imageshack.us/img714/9433/testoz.jpg[/SIGPIC]

If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke.
  • PinkToppings - Heavens Tear
    PinkToppings - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Also you can exchange some defense for attack or vice versa depending on the situation.

I especially love this perk with the psychic. If I equipped the rank 9 weapon, all 6 pieces of the gear, and 2 pieces of Nirvana along with a Jone's blessing (95 attack levels total), my attack level would allow me to stay in White Voodoo permanently if I wanted to. Compared to a wiz, I also might stand a better chance with other rank 9 users with high attack levels.
  • Loltank - Harshlands
    Loltank - Harshlands Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Psy > Wiz.

As a r8 wizzie, psychics are much better in very nearly every situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowfire - Dreamweaver
    Shadowfire - Dreamweaver Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Psy > Wiz.

As a r8 wizzie, psychics are much better in very nearly every situation.

Disagree.
    In the last two tws against Equinox (one of the other top dw factions) I don't think i've ever seen that a psy killed me. On the other hand, I and others in my squad have been 1-shot many times by crits from enemy wizards. I haven't heard the same about any of the enemy psychics.

Also, just as a personal opinion (also as a r8 wizard) it's a very fun class to play and wizard is very powerful in tw.

Overall, pick the one you enjoy more.
  • Paimage - Harshlands
    Paimage - Harshlands Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Wiz hit hard but I think psychics if well played are far more dangerous then a wizard, especially in 1v1 situations. You choose psy if u pvp 1v1 most of the times, but if you are planning on TW and group stuff I would go r9 for wiz since they are undeniably better at that part.
  • Jhalil - Heavens Tear
    Jhalil - Heavens Tear Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Disagree.
    In the last two tws against Equinox (one of the other top dw factions) I don't think i've ever seen that a psy killed me. On the other hand, I and others in my squad have been 1-shot many times by crits from enemy wizards. I haven't heard the same about any of the enemy psychics.

Also, just as a personal opinion (also as a r8 wizard) it's a very fun class to play and wizard is very powerful in tw.

Overall, pick the one you enjoy more.

That's because Wizards tend to target the squishies more, they aim for a 1-shot wonder. So they target people they would 1-shot easily.
    For example, a wiz will have a hard time killing a well geared Cata-puller because he/she would just tick that person's charm unless the wizard's weapon is highly, highly refined.
    While Psychic's will barrage them with incredibly hits and take them out and they don't even need to have incredibly refines on their weapons, especially with R8.
    If a Psychic does decide to AoE, they will hit just as hard as a wizard, and it will kill just the same.

To answer the OP, if you want the most efficient one, psychic is the way to go. You get your money's worth and a little bit more if you know how to play it.
    If you want the most fun class, that's entirely up to you, but in terms of power and overall better survival rate while maintaining the same destruction power as a wizard, you want pick a Psychic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to move your cursor, eh?
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Pssssst....it's called: "Forums" Even if some of the information is over-exaggerated, some of it is still accurate provided you listen to the right people. (Which doesn't include you. At all. Quite the opposite.) You'd be surprised how well people can keep up.

I suggest not arguing with her; she'll eventually get bored and crawl back under her bridge until she decides to open her big mouth again. She's basically the Yulk of Harshlands, just ignore her and she'll go and cry in her little corner, or bytch some more about Zulu. She whines so much that she shyts Q's.

As for OP: It honestly depends on which you prefer playing. If you enjoy the quick casting, go with the Psychic. If you like nuking everything in sight, go with the Wizard.

Not a lot of people ask for Psychics for runs, at least not as much as Wizards. It's a bit of a tough call since very few people play either these days. Go with whichever makes you more comfortable and suits your playing style.
    This is an awful response. If you aren't even playing the game, than please shut the **** up about what people are asking for or not in the game. Someone who isn't even on the same server as another person knows more than you do about it, as PVE-wise it's broadly similar about what classes are useful versus monsters. You obviously don't know. You're also the one who said psychics suck in RB numerous times, and nobody asks for or invites them, so there's definitely nobody who should listen to this silliness as it comes from someone who doesn't even know how useful the class they play is endgame.

The forums are an absolutely crappy guide as to how the game is doing -- they are mostly full of swirling negativity and embellished outrage, while the QQ about Rank happened, in-game, in relation to the intensity of the forums, only for the first couple hours following maintenance that put the rep sale in. Then people shut up and bought Rank 8/9, kept playing as it didn't matter, or just quit and left the game entirely instead of continuing to post on the forums.
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    go for wizard phsy is boring all there weapons look the same who the hell would want to hold a round ball in there hand lmfao

...have you been talking to Yulk, Tsubakey, or Luctirica lately? You may want to bathe in some antibacterial soap when you get off the forums.

Janus, I never said Psychics suck in Rank 8, or any class in particular-- I said Rank 8 is a waste of time, and Rank 9 was a better alternative if you have the funds to actually go through with it. Which shows just how well you read.
    And I'm more than aware how PvE works: I originally came from HT. I didn't mention which class to go with, because I've played both classes, and suggested that OP go with whatever suits him, rather than stick the "Main is a Psychic now," response. I never stated which was better; it was a suggestion: stick with whichever one suits you better.

The only reason why I haven't been playing as actively as I used to be is simply because of college. That doesn't mean my understanding of the game has been misinterpreted simply because I've been gone for a month and a half. I'm more than aware of how my class is endgame, and even in Rank 8/9. If your version of understanding endgame is BEING there, you are both naive and very narrow minded: This game isn't rocket science.

Again, you've managed to completely misread what I said:
    "Even if some of the information is over-exaggerated, some of it is still accurate provided you listen to the right people."
    ^ That had nothing at all to do with rank sales: It was directed at Luctirica because she stated that because two players hadn't logged on in a while, meant they had no idea what was going on with the game. I find it both stupid and ironic that she has the nerve to bash people for having not played the game in a while when she herself deals more damage in forums then she ever could in PvP.

It was simply a statement, not a fact. If you're going to try and prove me wrong, at least do it with something moderately credible.

Quite honestly, the only game forums with more QQing, Nerdraging, and general verbal manslaughter would have to be under the Frosty-named company, or a certain crappy MMORPG which runs under Jagex.
    Those two forums and this one are some of the few where I've seen the players so upset and miserable that they actually would enjoy running over the developing team with a bus....or an army of buses. And to be frank, any whining done by players for the most part is of the fault of the people running the company, not the players themselves.

No, you won't make everybody happy. It's an MMO. Haters gonna hate.
    But yes, this much whining means something isn't working, and that you should probably do something about it.

Will they? Probably not. I won't hold my breath.
  • TrueMercy - Harshlands
    TrueMercy - Harshlands Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That's because Wizards tend to target the squishies more, they aim for a 1-shot wonder. So they target people they would 1-shot easily.
    For example, a wiz will have a hard time killing a well geared Cata-puller because he/she would just tick that person's charm unless the wizard's weapon is highly, highly refined.
    While Psychic's will barrage them with incredibly hits and take them out and they don't even need to have incredibly refines on their weapons, especially with R8.
    If a Psychic does decide to AoE, they will hit just as hard as a wizard, and it will kill just the same.

To answer the OP, if you want the most efficient one, psychic is the way to go. You get your money's worth and a little bit more if you know how to play it.
    If you want the most fun class, that's entirely up to you, but in terms of power and overall better survival rate while maintaining the same destruction power as a wizard, you want pick a Psychic.

incredibly hits? and wizards don't have those?
    You are saying: high refined wizard = low refined Psy?
    Wizards only tick charm while Psychics easily kill the cata-puller?
    Well, they got black vodoo, but wizards got undine strike which lets them do 20-30% more damage.
    And Wizards got Essential Sutra.... I wonder which class is better for killing cata-pullers

I don't think any Psychic's AoE does more damage than a Wizard's Ice Dragon or Blade Tempest.They have more useful AoE skills though, they are just weaker.

Demon Gush is as fast as Lvl 11 Aqua Impact but deals more damage.
    Demon Pyrogram is as fast as Demon Spirit Blast but deals more damage.

People forget that Psychics have fast channeling but a longer casting time.
    Wizards can reduce their long channeling time by wearing -channeling gears but you can't reduce casting time.
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    got both +10 R9 wiz and +10 R9 psy in faction.

both hits hard. both can solo cata. whatever you want rly.
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • Arenaceous - Lost City
    Arenaceous - Lost City Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    got both +10 R9 wiz and +10 R9 psy in faction.

both hits hard. both can solo cata. whatever you want rly.

^This. I guess with full rank9 it doesn't even matter lol.

But it's a fact that wiz have the better aoe skills, higher %weapon damage adds etc. And the DPS skills/nukes are similar as well. It kinda is Black Vodoo against undine and the ability to have awesome burst damage with sutra.
    But saying wizards only aim for squishys is just dumb. I TWed a lot as wizzy and it was always my job to get cata pullers. Which I did just fine lol.

BTW: Hi Heart :) How ya doing?
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
  • Loltank - Harshlands
    Loltank - Harshlands Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thing with psychics is that they can drop 2 aoes in the time a mage channels BIDS. Without a crit, neither one of them is gonna drop a catabarb in one shot, but psychics do everything faster, making them much more valuable in 1v1 situations and many aoe situations. If a mage doesn't kill something with BIDS, they can't aoe DPS through a charm. Psychics can.

But yeah, at rank 9 it really doesn't make a huge difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Arenaceous - Lost City
    Arenaceous - Lost City Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Only a brainless wizard would just drop BIDS on a cata barb really... If you pick out a cata barb, you use sutra most of the time... Or you try to bypass his charm if you have sage bids and the barb is at like 60% and/or has people around him you wanna take down as well - and you are all alone.

And it's just wrong psys can dps better than wiz. Their basic spam skills have the same combined channel/cast time as wizard skills. Yea they have vodoo, but wizards have undine. Both have genies to amp. Sure you said aoe dps... But why would you aoe dps if you kill a cata barb? That is not your job. And to be honest, if you drop a BIDS while your bm uses HF there is not much left to dps aoe through really..

I never said psychcis are useless nor that they are worse than wiz. Their aoe stun is great, their damage similar to wiz and their buffs are really useful. If I were to form a cata kill party i would pick a psy over a second wiz and a wiz over a second psy. Just because they work together really well.

So much for TW, one on one is really a different topic: I can imagine that psys are better there. But I am not sure either, since a skilled (!!) wizard can kite pretty damn well and kill any class (if similar/not too much better geared).
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
  • xqueenfoolish
    xqueenfoolish Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ☆☆Tranquility Spellblade

Magic Sword
    Used by character(s): Wizard
    Close Range
    Grade 16
    Attack Speed 1.25
    Attack Range 3
    Physical attack 698-1046
    Magical attack 1275-1559

Refining

12: +975

+12 Rank9 Magic sword :

Magical attack :2250-2534

☆☆Miracle Soulsphere

Soulsphere
    Used by character(s): Psychic
    Close Range
    Grade 16
    Attack Speed 0.91
    Attack Range 2.5
    Physical attack 898-1097
    Magical attack 1204-1629

Refining :

12: +1125

+12 Rank9 Soulsphere :

Magical attack : 2329-2754

Now why would soulsphere base magic attack unrefined and refined are higher than magic sword?

I am pretty sure i would choose Psychic because of this.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    First and foremost: Anything wearing r9 is going to r@pe everyones face

OP: seeing as you've decided to do PvP endgame with your r9, I think the answer to your question lies with what kind of PvP you plan to do.

If you want to TW, the Wiz is a clear winner.
    If you want to 1on1, the Psy is a clear winner.

Does that mean that a r9 Psy isn't gonna wtfpwn in TW? ofc not, they'll do fine
    And the same can be said for a wiz in 1on1 Pk.

Though something to think about is that once become known as "the r9 wiz/psy," and you become a reputable pker, people are going to run away from you the second you come into sight, and with most pk happening just a holy path away from Safezone, 1on1 PvP may not be the way to go.
    And world PvP doesn't really require r9, most people you find are not prepared for Pking, ijs.

TW on the other hand forces 80 enemys into a small map with you for up to 2 hours for you to do whatever you want with them. And they can't holy path from you the second they see you because 1) TW is hectic, you'll probabally drop them b4 they see you, and 2) stand around your crystal, or go to there's, and the enemy will HAVE to come to you

Which is why I say Wiz is the best choice, all said and done.

And to address whoever said that wiz only try to make easy 1-shots: that's wrong.
    I'll admit that I won't waste a BIDS on a fullbuffed catabarb, but if he's purged, amp'd, undined, and poisoned? Hell yah I'ma 1 hit drop his ***
    BTW: if you notice wizards "going for the easy 1 shots," its only because of the 8 classes, 6 are squishy, so even statistically we're more likely to find some squishies to 1 shot...
    And one of those non-squishy classes (BM) is pretty easy to 1-shot with undine and poison.

And you make it sound like psys are epic catabarb killers. Last I check, that's what Wiz specialized in. A psy would jus be another DD who ticks the barbs charm while the wiz channels/prepares for the nuke.
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    lol what are we rude again today on forums b:chuckle anyways i recently saw a lot of plp make a wizz for R9 but like others said both do rly nice demage just depends on you then =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • NiaJade - Harshlands
    NiaJade - Harshlands Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Op... go with what makes you comfortable. I remember long long ago (3 years), many said this class is not good enough to do this or that, and etc...

Some did not listen, and broke the mold. And it comes down to play style, build and how you pick and choose your gear.

I have seen Wizards do what most have said, could never be done and I have seen the potential of Psyhics.

My suggestion is to make a pros/cons list for both, going on what you know and have observed. Detail out each, and really think about this. Look at the possibilities, list and compare them and choose based off this. In the end, it also comes down to 'why' you want this? What is your reason? (pvp/pve?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    @xqueenfoolish Damage isn't everything in PvE. Wizards are proven to nuke faster then a Psy with having no channeling for 6 seconds, being able to reduce magic resistance by 60%, a physical damage nuke, and super hard hitting bids.

If you use black voodo, the person ur killing can just use AD and one shot you. Pro wizzies are able to have 10k p def and kite like crazy. I have way to much experiences with wizzies i cant catch or nuke me with sultra.
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • Tsubakey - Heavens Tear
    Tsubakey - Heavens Tear Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    get a rank 9 psy over a wiz. its not even a competition.
    \

holy mother of **** women, you cant make a single post without dubbing someone as yulks baby or mentioning his name can u? for someone that "hates" him alot you sure do say his name more times then my gf says my name in bed. go make love to him on ur own time geez.

btw, according to your dumbass and inaccurate logic a person can learn the game just by being on forums and never playing. newsflash, you are wrong. the forums will NEVER be a good source of experience compared to actually PLAYING THE GAME.

the ppl that think game is dead have no reason to be playing it. so if they are not playing it they have no idea about recent events just as lutricia explained. God i swear you are one the biggest trolls on these forums. the fact that you are able to annoy even me says something about that fact.