Is it too much to ask that I not be the only healer in the squad?(Rant)

lupinemoon90
lupinemoon90 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2011 in Cleric
The past few squads i bh'd with had mostly fighters... with me the only cleric. Then if they fail to protect me, no one can res me and i lose my exp. On the other hand if they die, they have nothing to worry about, my revive is nearly maxed out, they hardly lose any exp.
Then in fights where i have to go within range of physical aoe to heal the tank, because for some reason wiz, psy, and archer are afraid of tanking mister aoe dispite having a skilled healer with them, and pretty decent damage dealing skills to boot....
I have come to hate being the only healer, yet cleric is still my favorite class. Is it unreasonable to ask for a second cleric? To admit your healing skills are pretty useless when the players your trying to heal are either out of range, or in range of aoe that kills squishy clerics in 3 shots or less?
Today was the first time I actually left a squad because they wouldn't listen to my request for a second healer before recruiting a low level barbarian in the last slot...
Post edited by lupinemoon90 on

Comments

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    The past few squads i bh'd with had mostly fighters... with me the only cleric. Then if they fail to protect me, no one can res me and i lose my exp. On the other hand if they die, they have nothing to worry about, my revive is nearly maxed out, they hardly lose any exp.
    Then in fights where i have to go within range of physical aoe to heal the tank, because for some reason wiz, psy, and archer are afraid of tanking mister aoe dispite having a skilled healer with them, and pretty decent damage dealing skills to boot....
    I have come to hate being the only healer, yet cleric is still my favorite class. Is it unreasonable to ask for a second cleric? To admit your healing skills are pretty useless when the players your trying to heal are either out of range, or in range of aoe that kills squishy clerics in 3 shots or less?
    Today was the first time I actually left a squad because they wouldn't listen to my request for a second healer before recruiting a low level barbarian in the last slot...

It's the way it is. Either your HP is far too low for the instances you are in, your pdef is too low, or you just aren't protecting yourself well enough. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but it's the reality.

Most instances can be done with one healer (if not all, given a skilled enough healer and squad).

However, and to be fair, if you feel more comfortable with a second healer, it certainly isn't wrong to request one. You always have the right to leave any squad you don't want to be in for any reason at all. If they **** and moan, give 'em the virtual finger and find a different squad. Just be mindful that you have to get used to being the sole cleric at some point.

I hope that helps, cheers!
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    *Sigh* Well you better get use to it, its because people lvl to fast and don't know how to play their classes.

Also, there is a lack of clerics in PWI since everyone wants to be some 5aps BM or Assassin... and most people don't have the patience to be a cleric so most people rerole to a DD class. b:surrender

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I assume you're probably in bh39/51, right?

In that case, a wiz/psy/archer can't really tank Farren/Myriad yet because they have physical AOE and, at that point, those classes' pdef isn't that good yet. You pretty much have to have a BM or barb tanking.

I don't quite get how you're in their AOE though. If you stay max range directly behind the tank, you should be fine.

Also...as much as I'd like a second cleric sometimes, most of the time, it's hard to get one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Healladiin - Harshlands
    Healladiin - Harshlands Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    just w8 until Mystics come out then more people will (hopefully, ***double crosses fingers***) learn about what it's like to be a healer and you won't have to put up with B.S. anymore, oh w8 Mystics will get nerfed at some point and then they won't even bother with their heal so I guess ur just stuck being a cleric. When I was still bhing I just warned people (mostly the NUUB sins of Harshlands) that if they pulled aggro then I couldn't save them as sins who take aggro are so squishy (because light armor sux balls) that they get two shotted before the barb can flesh ream to save their sorry you know whats.) when an archer or a wizzy pulls aggro off the boss it's easier for barby to get aggro back because mob has to travel to b in range of archer, wizzy, psy and barby is already in tigerform so he can just run up to boss and flesh ream it. But not the case with sins. I've had sins die on me in one second because they pulled aggro and the boss doesn't have to waddle over to where they are the boss turns on them and then two shots them. If ur getting hit hard by aoe keep an IHB on urself at all times during the fight and keep a watch on the people right by the boss who are dpsing it. More often than not I've managed to save a few sins because I was actually WATCHING the boss to see who he was attacking whilst spamming IHB mingled with purify if he was dotting or debuffing. Yes it's boring to do that but SOMETIMES if ur quick enough u can actually save the NUUB sins by watching the boss to see who he aggros on. The absolute best skills u can ever have for boss fights are not ur DD spells or ur debuffs, they're actually IHB, purify, Chromatic healing beam and BB. Get BB and get those other three to lvl 10 ASAP. Then u'll actually b able to outpurify glutt and drake and wyv before they can put up new dots/debuffs on ur tank WHILST still healing ur tank. and because the boss has to try to cast its dot/debuff/curse on ur tank all the time u decrease the amount of DPS the boss puts out while easily keeping ur tank healed. You have to be vigilant and watchful so much so to the point that u won't even be looking at ur toon. And that's the point where u get wings of protection at lvl 79 and u get plumeshell up to lvl 10 asap more often than not because of the CHILDREN playing nowadays u can't count on somecoming back to save ur but if a random mob or BISHOP(gawd I hate those things in FCC) aggros on you.
    That's all I can tell you rlly ask other high lvl clerics in ur faction what to do when squads are crappy. I normally just tell fail squads how I feel about how fail they are and then leave and blacklist anyone who keeps pming and cussing at me. I just REALLY hope that in february the squad cap also goes up to 7. One extra DD or better yet, some other barb/bm to offtank would b rlly helpful in the event the unfortunate death of the main tank.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    No way in hell people are going to read that block of text.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    wait what lvl is this person first of all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Profile said 58 or something, so guessing BH39

My two cents: Having two clerics is only needed when one of the clerics is learning the run or training. Cleric is one of the easiest classes to play once you get the hang of it because there are only a certain ways a computer game situation will play out. Once you learn to recognize what situation you are in things become reflex and you'll be fine.

Also, you wrote you can only survive 3 aoes? Why aren't you healing yourself in that time? A normal cleric heals about 1/4 of their hp with each IH tick, so if they are doing dmg = 1/3 you hp a single IH should almost be enough to last you 15 seconds.

Another thing is communicate with your barb. Good barbs should know what bosses to turn to weaken their aoes, or to negate 180 degree aoes so that you can get close. Good barbs should also know that once they catch the boss, to run between you and the boss so you can heal at max distance. For most skills and heals, leveling the skill increases range.

I used to feel bad for clerics losing exp from having to release, and as a cleric would often begrudge my squad a little. Now that I've played all classes I realize that once you know the rules the cleric dies the least of any class. I also know better as a tank that when a cleric says "don't get me killed" that if I do my job right then really the only way for the cleric to die is to get themselves killed.

Bottom line, communicating with your barb and a little quick preplanning with your squad and knowing your roles should keep you alive almost 100% of the time with no reason to have a second cleric.

Edit: Also wanted to add that having a second cleric brings almost nothing to the table except a backup rezzer. Cleric damage is mediocre and you said 1 cleric is enough to heal the squad. You won't get any more buffs. Better to bring another DD so bosses die quicker, or another player for their buffs (have a bm for pdef buffs?).
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • GenericBrand - Archosaur
    GenericBrand - Archosaur Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    It is unfortunate but it is something you will have to get used to. Unless these are friends/faction mates you are going with, then more often than not you need to look out for yourself first and foremost because no one else in squad will (or will be ridiculously slow to react). I personally never trust anyone in my BH squad to save me. Would be awesome if they did but it's my own failing when I die.

Just don't forget to heal yourself. As long as you're not being 1-2 hit killed you should be able to survive those AoE long enough to get out of range of further damage.
    You should rarely be in range of aoe's (with a few exceptions the higher in level you go). If you are then you are doing it wrong imho. Next time ask your squad mates to stand in such a way that they are not so bloody far away from heals.

It is not unreasonable to ask for an additional cleric, just understand that you could be waiting a long, long, loooooooong time for another to pop up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xenia_ - Raging Tide
    Xenia_ - Raging Tide Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Or get yourself some ressurection scrolls :) I always have those. Just like guardian scrolls to pretend i lose exp.
  • Prophete - Dreamweaver
    Prophete - Dreamweaver Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    You shouldn't need another healer ever. (at least until my lvl, I don't know for higher things ^^ )
    If you do need one, just stop doing that instance, go grind some money, do quests, lvl/buy new gear, i dunno.
    I never needed another cleric, and I did most of my bh with 3 stars gear unsharded and 5vit.
    Use plume shell too.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Eh, getting used to solo cleric is part of growing up as a healer, and getting pissed off and dying a lot is a rite of passage. Soon you'll be doing solo cleric FF and Nirvanas and laugh if another cleric wants to tag along.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited December 2010

Also, there is a lack of clerics in PWI since everyone wants to be some 5aps BM or Assassin... and most people don't have the patience to be a cleric so most people rerole to a DD class. b:surrender

Hey, you are looking at a 5 APS Sin + 5 APS BM rolling a Cleric >_>. It was a nice change from pew-pewing to keep others alive. Almost felt like playing a whole different game.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    if you fear the aoe, how will a wiz/psy survive the aoe+normal boss hits?
    and to be honest, how do you expect them to trust you when you want one more cleric for bh39/51? i wouldnt call that skilled healer, sorry:\
  • _Spot_ - Lost City
    _Spot_ - Lost City Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Its kinda sad that clerics when die loose all exp and others dont...

But on the bright side you always have bh squads and dds sometimes wait 30 40mn to get in one...

And for all my chars and exp i got in PWI bh 39 is one of the hardest ones due to ppl are too low/dont know how to play yet/low money to teleports(bh can last 2 hours QQ)/Farrens Aoe/and exploders mobs/

Well bh51 will not get much easier and bh69 gosh poleharm QQQQQ no barbs bla bla..

Have fun heheehhe....b:dirty
  • Kipitei - Raging Tide
    Kipitei - Raging Tide Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I think this is solely a gear problem for you. The only time I feel like needing a 2nd cleric is when silly people pull agro and start running like headless chickens and are too far away from BB...

Whats this about not finding clerics though? I feel like its the most common class after sins/bs/archers/psys. A lot of times when I'm in a bh squad we get a 2nd cleric just for a filler/DD. Not often do I see a bh squad have 2 barbs ...or even 1 >.>;
    [SIGPIC]
    Perfect noob
  • Flying_Flash - Sanctuary
    Flying_Flash - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I think this is solely a gear problem for you. The only time I feel like needing a 2nd cleric is when silly people pull agro and start running like headless chickens and are too far away from BB...

Whats this about not finding clerics though? I feel like its the most common class after sins/bs/archers/psys. A lot of times when I'm in a bh squad we get a 2nd cleric just for a filler/DD. Not often do I see a bh squad have 2 barbs ...or even 1 >.>;

This up here ^^^

The only time I have ever recommended we get another cleric was just recently when me and a group of friends decided to do our chrono quests in Seat of Torment and that was because we were all 93 and under. haha. Worked out nice and no one died, 3 clerics whoot whoot.

Now if bm's and other classes start playing aggro tag, it moreso becomes their own fault for dying. I realize there are many situations where you can heal them both but sometimes the damage is just too much to constantly switch targets and you have to sacrifice one so they both don't go down and wipe the squad

And yea, there has been a few times when I've even done a bh squad, particularly 79 with 3 or more clerics. Heck, two times it was 5 clerics and a bm. Now that was fun b:chuckle People were probably cursing at us later for stealing all the clerics
    edited December 2010
    No way in hell people are going to read that block of text.

A barb's opinion in a cleric forum is worth about as much as..................a barb's opinion in a cleric forum.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    A barb's opinion in a cleric forum is worth about as much as..................a barb's opinion in a cleric forum.

Cleric's opinion in a cleric forum, "learn grammar." I think your original post was four sentences with no punctuation. There's no point in posting here if you're posts are illegible or more work to read then their advice has value.

And pssst... (people can play more than one class. Even though his avatar is a barb he may be in our exclusive cleric club.)

b:bye
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Lana - Raging Tide
    Lana - Raging Tide Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I think barbs can contribute in Cleric forums much more than any DD class, since theyre on the recieving end. More Barb - Cleric communication (in game too) would solve probably most of the problems those 2 classes can encounter b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    Cleric's opinion in a cleric forum, "learn grammar." I think your original post was four sentences with no punctuation. There's no point in posting here if you're posts are illegible or more work to read then their advice has value.
    If you can't read pixelated type then gtfo carebearb:byeb:byeb:byeb:bye
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I find it amusing being in a 2-cleric squad. Makes the run faster, and easier.

Having 3 clerics in squad... too many cooks in the kitchen. You tend to overheal the tank, but if you have a squishy and two BM's, it can work out well. Just have each cleric pick a friend and heal them. Two squishies and a barb, one cleric heals barb, one heals squishies, one DD's.

I prefer to do two in a squad at most though. :p
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Meyki - Sanctuary
    Meyki - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    for OP: Besides the gear problem, I think you are killed by heal aggro. Learn to let people die. It will keep you alive. They will get res, you won't. If they don't know how aggro works, tell them. When squad mate is about to die, but has some mobs shooting at him and these mobs are not scratched, bad luck, in this game you can revive dead people, not yourself.

I like being in 2 cleric squad, but honestly, it usually slows squad down. There are places where two clerics are almost necessary for average squad (where average is maybe "very poor" in fact), but bhs 29-89 are easy for single cleric. Even for poor one.
  • lupinemoon90
    lupinemoon90 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    These past couple runs in bh39 went pretty well; the squads worked well together, they moved at a pace that i could keep up with, only one wipe due to the tank getting dc'd in the middle of the fight. I don't actually need a second cleric, but i prefer it, due to making my job that much easier. I suppose the bigger problem is that most of the squads i've been in had almost no sense of team work. I've even been in a squad with a high level bm our psy recruited; we wiped before we reached the boss and the bm soloed the boss and killed him before I got back to the instance to res everyone. When I asked the bm why he did what he did, he asked my friend for leadership, then kicked me out. He was high enough to solo all the bosses, sure, but he forgot the only reason he was there was to help us out, and he killed the boss before i could res everyone else. Everyone else in the squad left after this jerk kicked me out. Oh to make this even more rich, he pmed me telling me that I was the *******...
  • HisProtector - Raging Tide
    HisProtector - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    i feel ya there im so tired of dying while keeping everyone else alive.. and yes i get distracted easy and pay more attetion to them then me :)
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    At lower lvls, most bhs can be done with only one cleric. I've managed to do most of my bhs as the only cleric... boot camp. It's where you learn to play your class. I understand why you would want a second cleric to res you, but the thing is that you might not necessarily get one. At some point, you have to learn to take care of yourself rather than rely on another cleric to res you if you die.

At higher lvls, however, there are exceptions where it might be a good idea to have two clerics. BH100 in TT3-3 can be one with one cleric (I've managed it) but it's a lot easier with two because of the random aggro, purging, stuns, etc. Wurlord in TT2-2 and TT2-3 is usually done with 2 clerics in lower lvl squads as the boss hits so hard (one for BB, another to IH the tank). With a high lvl tank, only one cleric is needed for BB.

Also, Clerics are pretty decent DDs as far as I know, maybe even good ones depending on gear, skills and the instance in question.
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Yesterday having 4 clerics and 2 barbs for bh actually made it a ton faster for some reaon. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Yesterday having 4 clerics and 2 barbs for bh actually made it a ton faster for some reaon. b:chuckle

depends on squad then i guess, i never EVER go with more than 2clerics or atleast try not to since i always end up being the only one healing >_> some clerics thinkgs this way "oh oh 3 or more cleric me aint healing let them heal" imagen if every singel one of them thinks the same tank gonna survive for sure :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    edited December 2010
    forgot to write this aswell.. i think its fair to ask for a 2nd cleric when your not sure this squad will survive personally i used to do that aswell its good for the squad and myself if i would die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and we miss it
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    edited December 2010
    Or get yourself some ressurection scrolls :) I always have those. Just like guardian scrolls to pretend i lose exp.

lol assuming this is a lvl 5x-6x clerics arent excatly rich at that lvl to spend money on something else than pots even thought its a good moment to buy GAs with sale
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    and we miss it
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • Vraii - Sanctuary
    Vraii - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Having extra clerics only makes me more nervous. You need to take extra time to define roles and even then...never trust them to do what you expect of them. I've learned that even with two clerics you need to do your job as though youre the only one. At least when I'm the only cleric I know it all depends on me, and I trust me.