Is it too much to ask that I not be the only healer in the squad?(Rant)

Comments

• Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Having extra clerics only makes me more nervous. You need to take extra time to define roles and even then...never trust them to do what you expect of them. I've learned that even with two clerics you need to do your job as though youre the only one. At least when I'm the only cleric I know it all depends on me, and I trust me.

^This. I generally trust myself more than me and some other person I don't know if plays their class good or not, or is just gonna DD, or will just heal. So when I'm in a squad with another cleric, we mainly do the exact same job and then we go all confused.

You really shouldn't need it anyway, sure, sometimes things go wrong and I die.. Or someone else dies, but really, lower BHs is quite easy. Even when you got a sin who really likes to do aggro everything he sees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • StreamElf - Sanctuary
    StreamElf - Sanctuary Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Most instances can be done with just 1 cleric. Sure, 2 clerics is nice, but you don't need the other one if you're a good cleric.

It's always nice to have a second cleric in TT for when things don't work out, but it isn't needed. Besides, you always have to heal like you're the only cleric because you can't trust anyone but yourself (unless you're doing it with good friends, but still..)

Try to stay out of the aoe range, that helps alot. Also don't heal someone when they haven't touched the mobs that attack them. It will give you healer aggro and most of the time you'll die.
    8x Cleric (Sanctuary)
    6x Veno (Sanctuary)
    5x Assasin (Harshlands)
    3x Archer (Sanctuary)
  • LittIewg - Heavens Tear
    LittIewg - Heavens Tear Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    -Strolls into the cleric sections- Ooops... Sorry. I heard there was suppose to be a fish gathering/meeting here:( I was deceived. -Walks out shyly- b:chuckle
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    -Strolls into the cleric sections- Ooops... Sorry. I heard there was suppose to be a fish gathering/meeting here:( I was deceived. -Walks out shyly- b:chuckle

not really :b
  • Zuqria - Dreamweaver
    Zuqria - Dreamweaver Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    As wizz i was always asked to "stay behind and don't do a thing" wich made me feel like it didn't matter if i was there or not... It frustrated me, i couldn't see what was going on and felt useless...

Being bored i started using my heals (the one from my genie and my morning dew) on the cleric and squadmembers that got hit while the cleric had to focus on the attacking barb - seemed like a stupid thing to do - since my healing is slow and takes a lot af casting time. But it gave me a the feeling i at least had done something....

Doing so i actually managed to keep the cleric alive long enough to use his amazing healing spells on him/herself or just managed to keep the team member on his or her feet. So i kept doing it - using my distance schrink a lot if i did get to close doing so.

So for me - untill i can really do serious damage and my other skills are maxed out - i play the wizzard-cleric... Works for me ;)
  • Anfallas - Harshlands
    Anfallas - Harshlands Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    so for the original question,
    I swear everything depends on your squad. I've had multiple clerics in squad who were morons, I've had awesome barbs and **** DDs. This is my main, I've been playing this class for almost 2 years, and this char in paticular was my very first ever and I've never really played another past 3x.
    So trust me when I say that everything depends on your squads. A good squad will keep each other alive, work together and have fun. If you can find people that you work well with, friend them and make sure you ask them to bh/tt/fb/fc with you as much as possible. And remember everyone has bad days where they're not 100% there. Its up to you, as a cleric, to make sure that your squad stays alive.
    It is our job and there's no use crying about it, that's is WHY people bring clerics into the squad. It's because they don't want to die either. And you know what? If people are giving you **** and ignoring what you say, (Like you say, I need to med! and they ignore you and charge on) just try this tried and true method. "You're being a butthead, no fortune cookie heals for you!." b:victory
    Guaranteed it will either get you kicked, and then you know the squad were poopy heads and you're better off without them becaue they would have gotten you killed alot. OR they'll start to listen.
    Either way, it works in epic fashion xD
  • LittIewg - Heavens Tear
    LittIewg - Heavens Tear Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    not really :b

Danget Thanos. Were brethern lol,Your suppose to back me up ;P
    edited December 2010
    Danget Thanos. Were brethern lol,Your suppose to back me up ;P

however, if i make ur predictions look inaccurate, i'll have more customers my fellow psychic :3
  • LaLeLoo - Sanctuary
    LaLeLoo - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    It gets a lot better at higher levels cause your stronger, your heals are stronger, every one else is stronger. Lower levels is really difficult cause you will have a lot of people yell at you, scream at you, call you fail, kick you, act like dumb asses.

But, keep in mind, your the cleric your in charge. If someone dies cause of their own stupidity and complains its all your fault. Do not revive them. If the whole squad is not working, just drop it and find a new squad. If they whisper you rude things, blacklist them.

It will get better, just have to get through the rough patch first.

I was in FCC and was at the experience room boss. This sin chose to get the hands, and he missed one. Thus almost everyone died including me. I forgot to buy rez scrolls before the FCC run so I went back to the beginning and was on my way back. The whole time the sin was demanding me to rez him. I told him I died and was running back from the start so he would have to relax and be patient. Than he told me I was fail and for me to relax. So I just rezzed the people who were respecting me and left the others dead and left the squad.

Yes they were pissed but serves them right.
  • AuroraLucia - Archosaur
    AuroraLucia - Archosaur Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    for OP: Besides the gear problem, I think you are killed by heal aggro. Learn to let people die. It will keep you alive. They will get res, you won't. If they don't know how aggro works, tell them. When squad mate is about to die, but has some mobs shooting at him and these mobs are not scratched, bad luck, in this game you can revive dead people, not yourself.

I'd say this is sound advice. I will only take heal aggro once in an instance (on purpose), and only if I know I can handle the attacks. After that, I tell the tank that the next time, I'm not healing them until they have aggro on all mobs because I will get attacked. It usually works, as when they see the Cleric's HP going down, they usually start to listen. However, if they don't I let them die. I hate to have anyone die even once when I'm healing, but if they are at fault for it, it's not my problem.

Also, I'm curious on if you are doing a full Mag build. I personally just put Vit in up to 50, then put the rest into a full Mag, just to give me some extra HP, and it works great. I still can heal well, and I don't die easily because my Cleric currently has 4.2k HP with Barb buff. Anyways, listen to the people in here. It's not wrong to want another Cleric sometimes, but it should never be necessary (unless you have a non-traditional tank on a hard boss, like a 6x Assassin on Wyvern in FB51).
  • lupinemoon90
    lupinemoon90 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Asside from the mess I got myself into when I first started playing, the one resulting in my dex score being 16... my build is 4 mag, 1 str, but alternating to vit so every now and then instead of str. Both vit and str are in the 40s somewhere, and I'm level 61. My hp is 1770 but jumps to above 2000 with the barb buff.
  • mazza69
    mazza69 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Today I was in a squad with 2 tanks and 2 psy and myself.

The tanks could not keep the agro at all, soon as I IH I had the agro which resulted in lots of deaths.

So we gets to Calcid and everyone dies I manage to res a tank and he dies again while I'm being chased by calcid and we all die.

There after I am plagued by noob cleric and your poo etc.

Learn to tank ya hairy muppets!!!

Ooooo they make me mad, unfortunately I did res them before we left and of course they waited till I'd res before they started the swears...
  • Phyllon - Archosaur
    Phyllon - Archosaur Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Shoulda just left 'em, you had to lose exp let them lose it too, lol. It used to be that I would stick with a squad no matter how badly they treated me, never really occurred to me to just leave if they treat me like ****...

I can usually tell at the beginning if we aren't going to do so well, sometimes I'm wrong, but generally if the squad act recklessly(like running off while I'm trying to heal them, only to almost get themself killed, running off while I'm trying to med, splitting up so that I have to choose who to heal), act like jerks(calling me "cleric" instead of by my character name[drives me crazy], rushing me to res or heal them when I already know to heal them, etc), or are recruiting low levels(a level 20 bm does NOT belong in bh39...), it's usually a message for me to either try reasoning with them or leave and let them find some else...

Forgive the run on...

But like I said sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes we have a rough and confused start and then start doing well when we reach the first boss. I've been called a terrible cleric by a sin before... bh39, they wanted the level 49 barb to tank farren, and I tried to get the archer to tank, she was level 57 at the time, knowing full well that I would be able to keep her alive(I checked her equipment, her hp, etc against my heals). They didn't listen, and attacked farren before I was ready. The bm and barb got themselves killed, then ordered me to res them while farren was chasing me. Sin said I was the worst cleric ever and asked for lead so he could kick me out. I left before he could, telling them to heal themselves, and apologising to the archer(she was actually my friend at the time). She pm'd me telling me everyone else left after I left...

I'm lupine btw....
  • Ms_Annasutra - Heavens Tear
    Ms_Annasutra - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Most likely you'll end up being the only cleric in a squad.Most of the time you really don't need two depending on what your doing. Make sure your heals are maxed and stay as far away as possible-in heal range- from the boss and heal your self when your HP goe's down and before he hits. b:victory
  • MazaVodka - Raging Tide
    MazaVodka - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Heal me cleric!!!

Makes me mad too, I wouldn't mind but earlier I'd done the same bh with 1 tank and we'd done fine with no deaths, I've also done it with 2 clerics , a cleric only bh run is great fun!

Oh and my dex is 18, it was 28 until I took ten off with a reset scroll! I do the same build but I think my strength is a little high
    I'm on the look out for another scroll ,
  • AshliWings - Heavens Tear
    AshliWings - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    as they say let the cards fall where they may...my interpretation save the tank cuz hes all thats between you and the mob/boss....let the others die..they can be rezzed without little to no exp loss you cannot...also learn to run...holy path is your best friend...if your tank drops self preservation should kick in and u should run...simple as that....you can always come back and rez you cant always get your exp back...if the DD's or agro stealers from the tanks dont like it well leave...and dont let the door hit in ya in the rear on the way outta the party...i've found growing up in my bhs that to lvl up and not loose exp daily requires that i let DD die often and typically tend to heal the strongest player in my group thats tanking...those DD will QQ sure but they also dont loose exp cuz i can rez them and it was their fault they went squish in the first place due to whatever reason..agroed mobs they didnt mean to, bad equipment, poorly operated characters...whatever the excuse its save the tank save my *** ill rez u once your dead attitude that has gotten me where i am now.
  • Serinus - Raging Tide
    Serinus - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    ... If you stay max range directly behind the tank, you should be fine...

In my past experience tank rarely stays between boss and cleric, even after you ask/tell them to and explained why. Their linguistic ability is shut off until they're killed after the healer is killed, then they suddenly can communicate. b:surrender
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    In my past experience tank rarely stays between boss and cleric, even after you ask/tell them to and explained why. Their linguistic ability is shut off until they're killed after the healer is killed, then they suddenly can communicate. b:surrender

Mostly using short, four-letter, Anglo-Saxon words :D
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Aijilyuol - Raging Tide
    Aijilyuol - Raging Tide Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Specialy Jewelscalen ;)

It's like "What the hell are you Cleric doing behind me? go to a side! so you can get the AOE too, ******mit!" b:laugh
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    The past few squads i bh'd with had mostly fighters... with me the only cleric. Then if they fail to protect me, no one can res me and i lose my exp. On the other hand if they die, they have nothing to worry about, my revive is nearly maxed out, they hardly lose any exp.
    Then in fights where i have to go within range of physical aoe to heal the tank, because for some reason wiz, psy, and archer are afraid of tanking mister aoe dispite having a skilled healer with them, and pretty decent damage dealing skills to boot....
    I have come to hate being the only healer, yet cleric is still my favorite class. Is it unreasonable to ask for a second cleric? To admit your healing skills are pretty useless when the players your trying to heal are either out of range, or in range of aoe that kills squishy clerics in 3 shots or less?
    Today was the first time I actually left a squad because they wouldn't listen to my request for a second healer before recruiting a low level barbarian in the last slot...

i wouldve left my rez at lvl 1 if i knew i couldnt rez myslfb:shutupb:surrender
  • Tessiy - Raging Tide
    Tessiy - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    The past few squads i bh'd with had mostly fighters... with me the only cleric. Then if they fail to protect me, no one can res me and i lose my exp. On the other hand if they die, they have nothing to worry about, my revive is nearly maxed out, they hardly lose any exp.Then in fights where i have to go within range of physical aoe to heal the tank, because for some reason wiz, psy, and archer are afraid of tanking mister aoe dispite having a skilled healer with them, and pretty decent damage dealing skills to boot....
    I have come to hate being the only healer, yet cleric is still my favorite class. Is it unreasonable to ask for a second cleric? To admit your healing skills are pretty useless when the players your trying to heal are either out of range, or in range of aoe that kills squishy clerics in 3 shots or less?
    Today was the first time I actually left a squad because they wouldn't listen to my request for a second healer before recruiting a low level barbarian in the last slot...

This is just one of those things you'll have to accept. A clerics job is to keep the squad alive and support it as much as possible. If you die alot, I'd suggest that you bring some Guardian Scrolls (Trade 9 tokens of luck for 1 Guardian Scroll.)
    It's not always the easiest to be a cleric due to the EXP loss if you res yourself, less respect; some people just seeing what you're doing wrong and not caring about what you actually do very good. Though, if I was a DD I wouldn't agree with taking in a second cleric just because you are a bit lazy.
    Well that's my opinion. Have fun playing cleric.
    b:victory
  • Esmena - Sanctuary
    Esmena - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    The past few squads i bh'd with had mostly fighters... with me the only cleric. Then if they fail to protect me, no one can res me and i lose my exp. On the other hand if they die, they have nothing to worry about, my revive is nearly maxed out, they hardly lose any exp.
    Then in fights where i have to go within range of physical aoe to heal the tank, because for some reason wiz, psy, and archer are afraid of tanking mister aoe dispite having a skilled healer with them, and pretty decent damage dealing skills to boot....

When you say in rang of AOE do you mean when your trying to attack or heal? If your trying to heal and your in range, it brings to mind how much you put into healing. As in are you a damage dealer or a healer? You say your pretty good at both *Which nowadays is hard to be at low lvls* so that mean your probably not paying enough attention to your heal abils. I know for sure if you max out any heal ability you cannot be in range of a mobs AOE when trying to heal your tank. The only explanation I can think of is that your using group healing, and at a low lvl means you haven't got it that high, which means its range is far more limited as supposed to say iron heart.

Just what I think...
    Esmena:

"Just take up the courage to call him/her a btch and walk away, cause no one should take that."

I like pears...Ok That was random lol.
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Its always nice to have another cleric especially when you're not experienced in a particular instance. But I'm sure pretty much all instances can be done with a single cleric in squad and they dont really need to be overlevelled or overgeared. So best advice would be to just get used to it and become reasonably good at it.

Of course there's lots of downsides, but you weigh that against being able to get parties easily. The story of being a cleric essentially. -___-'
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • XXMonaXx - Heavens Tear
    XXMonaXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Obviously you aren't all that skilled.
    I keep my distance, I focus on healing the tank only. If anyone is stupid enough to steal aggro and the tank isn't smart enough to steal aggro back, I focus on healing the tank only. If somehow all fails, HolyPath and I'm out of there then I return to res everyone. If somehow I'm brought into AEO range, I simply stack pots, or if it's physical and bad, I plume shell then stack some herb yuanxiao to buy some time to move out of range. But for the most part, I do fairly well. I have something like 55% physical defence and 73% magic defence...so that holds up...well for me and my tactics, it does. I do not like having an extra cleric, they're more of a nuisance than help.
  • TsarBomba - Heavens Tear
    TsarBomba - Heavens Tear Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Obviously you aren't all that skilled.
    I keep my distance, I focus on healing the tank only. If anyone is stupid enough to steal aggro and the tank isn't smart enough to steal aggro back, I focus on healing the tank only. If somehow all fails, HolyPath and I'm out of there then I return to res everyone. If somehow I'm brought into AEO range, I simply stack pots, or if it's physical and bad, I plume shell then stack some herb yuanxiao to buy some time to move out of range. But for the most part, I do fairly well. I have something like 55% physical defence and 73% magic defence...so that holds up...well for me and my tactics, it does. I do not like having an extra cleric, they're more of a nuisance than help.

Only focusing on the barb while stealers die could mean making a run longer for everyone than it should be. It's your job to heal everyone, not just the tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lady_of_rage - Lost City
    Lady_of_rage - Lost City Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, honestly, though, i prefer being the only cleric in the instance, i dont know if that makes me arrogant or something, but i feel safer being the only cleric.
    Mostly because i do notice almost eveything little thing that goes on during a run, and i'll notice if the other cleric isn't holding up his/her fair share of the work, and that'll **** me off because someone else could be in their spot actually doing something. Also, when i'm about to do a run, i already have my battleplan worked out in my head, and another cleric would simply ruin it and get in my way.
    We are Death, destroyer of Worlds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Koltrast - Sanctuary
    Koltrast - Sanctuary Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Only focusing on the barb while stealers die could mean making a run longer for everyone than it should be. It's your job to heal everyone, not just the tank.

I wish more clerics would focus on the tank in most situations.

If i steal a mob off the tank either I know for sure I can tank it myself, or I'm doing my best to give the darn thing back to the tank. And if I'm running at or in little circles around the tank, unless he's, brainless he's going to be reaming it right back anyway.

If you stay on the tank, he's stacked with IH, and I can heal myself when I've shaken the mob if not before. I have plenty of survival skills, and I'm carrying a genie, apoth, pots, food, If you switch to me, and the tank grabs the mob back, great, i'm at full health, but now the tank's ih stack is gone. At higher levels maybe that's not such a big deal, but at lower levels, the stack on the IH is sometimes the difference between success and squad wipe. (And boy do archers get yelled at when this kinda thing happens).

More to the point, if you switch to me and I die anyway (and again, at the levels we're talking about here, doing bh 39's, I was a very squishy little elf indeed), you're next in the aggro queue and that is a Very Bad Thing. Again, unhappy squad, archer is yelled at, archer is sad, but not as sad as cleric who didn't get revived.

If you can safely throw a squad heal between IH's, neat, I'll have em. Ditto a res when I mess it up. But I've always been perfectly happy to accept it's my own fault and take the hit rather than cause a squad wipe because I carelessly pulled a mob, died, and it turned on the cleric that healed me.
    edited January 2011
    I wish more clerics would focus on the tank in most situations.

If i steal a mob off the tank either I know for sure I can tank it myself, or I'm doing my best to give the darn thing back to the tank. And if I'm running at or in little circles around the tank, unless he's, brainless he's going to be reaming it right back anyway.

If you stay on the tank, he's stacked with IH, and I can heal myself when I've shaken the mob if not before. I have plenty of survival skills, and I'm carrying a genie, apoth, pots, food, If you switch to me, and the tank grabs the mob back, great, i'm at full health, but now the tank's ih stack is gone. At higher levels maybe that's not such a big deal, but at lower levels, the stack on the IH is sometimes the difference between success and squad wipe. (And boy do archers get yelled at when this kinda thing happens).

More to the point, if you switch to me and I die anyway (and again, at the levels we're talking about here, doing bh 39's, I was a very squishy little elf indeed), you're next in the aggro queue and that is a Very Bad Thing. Again, unhappy squad, archer is yelled at, archer is sad, but not as sad as cleric who didn't get revived.

If you can safely throw a squad heal between IH's, neat, I'll have em. Ditto a res when I mess it up. But I've always been perfectly happy to accept it's my own fault and take the hit rather than cause a squad wipe because I carelessly pulled a mob, died, and it turned on the cleric that healed me.

good post. if i die, i died, no big deal. a charm tick maybe, some exp loss, no biggie.
    most of the times i wont die so we go faster even if i need a res/rebuff one or two times.

the only problem is stuff that aoe or explode
  • TsarBomba - Heavens Tear
    TsarBomba - Heavens Tear Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Not everyone has your attitude to charm ticks, dying, losing a bit of exp =( Countless times I have had a squishy die on my from pulling aggro and getting yelled at. Angry people do silly things. I'd rather avoid such situations when I know the tank can survive without IH for a few seconds. As for inheriting aggro if they die, most cases they took aggro from the barb, so even if they did die, most likely it will go back to the barb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alleia - Dreamweaver
    Alleia - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    If you are looking to train, or uncomfortable with how a run might go you can request a second cleric but normally won't get one - there aren't always enough to go around.

To be honest, it's something you will need to get used to. If that sounds harsh I'm sorry, but it's the truth. You'll need to look into deciding if you want to go full pure Arcane or add in some VIT. For myself, I have no extra points in VIT and I'm fully sharded with HP stones. My HP hovers around almost 4,000 without points in vit.

Almost all instances can be done with one skilled cleric. Just wait until you get to FB/BH69, your head may explode. You need to learn how to hold a squad together on your own - be patient and learn. You'll get the hang of it. Again, I stress ALMOST. There are certain squads where two clerics are required (or really needed) such as GBA or Wurlord in TT.

Some more harsh reality - You have to make a choice if you are comfortable being a cleric. Some people just are not cut out for the class. If you can't see yourself ever being comfortable and confident about being the only cleric in the squad (it just gets worse the higher you go, the more you have to work at it) then you may want to re-roll.

A barb faction mate of mine and I were duo'ing Solo Mode of TT 3-1 to 3-3 in our 80's. Try getting a barb friend and duoing some stuff to get the hang of it if you want :)