Commonly used abbreviations

Comments

• Frederiecke - Heavens Tear
    Frederiecke - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    First of all I would like to say thanks to those who made this topic, this is so very helpful. I came here from russian PW (the prices there are 5 times as big as here, can u imagine??) and still can't get all the abbreviations (but thank god most of them I could guess)). Still wanted to ask about SoT (I saw that the question was asked a few pages earlier, but was to stupid to understand the answer). I got that DoT is damage over time, HoT - heal over time and SoT is? Steal over time lol??)))))))))
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Still wanted to ask about SoT (I saw that the question was asked a few pages earlier, but was to stupid to understand the answer). I got that DoT is damage over time, HoT - heal over time and SoT is? Steal over time lol??)))))))))
    For what it's worth, there is a bigger, better organized list, with a few pictures and links to larger articles on the PWI wiki as well, which can be found here: Abbreviations and Terms

From the article:
    SoT - Seat of Torment, one of the two FB99 instances, the other being Abaddon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Frederiecke - Heavens Tear
    Frederiecke - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Oh, thanks, that's very useful!b:pleased
  • skai20
    skai20 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I hear DQ a lot. What does it mean?
  • sangodoc
    edited September 2010
    skai20 wrote: »
    I hear DQ a lot. What does it mean?
    From the Abbreviations and Terms PWI wiki article:
    DQ - Dragon Quest or the items used for the Dragon Quest (which is noted in the items' descriptions). A series of repeatable quests starting at level 20 which can earn you mounts, high level molds, and other rewards. See Dragon Quests for details.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Jonniex - Heavens Tear
    Jonniex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    >.< I was getting tired of reading through, so forgive me if this was already asked.
    xD I wanted to know, I've heard the term "squishy" a lot. I think I might have the thought of what that means, but could someone elaberate?
    xD and thank you for this thread! Lots of help for when I get confused on what the hell someone is saying.

Again, sorry if this was already asked.
    >_>;
  • phaedradragon
    phaedradragon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    While the list of abbs (abbreviations) is impressive, there still seem to be those who pointedly come up with abbs not on the list shown; which is either a goot thang, or a bloody bad thang.
    since I didn't see it listed; you can use - fac for faction/guild; L for level, (as in L15 - L25 - L55, etc); in ref to the assain class, you could call them "A55"s, for short, (works for uncle sammy - should work here b:pleased ). Also, I refer to the teleport masters, as Tporters/Tports, and often refer to an area by the first letters of the name for the area, using all caps (caps = capital letters).
    I also use "wep" for a shortcut for weapon (wep - singular / weps - more than one); ooa for "out of ammo/arrows"; woot-woot for when a pet levels up, plus (+) ding for when I level up.
    I have been noted for telling sqyad mates or guild/fac when I gek killed, by using the term - dos (Dead-on-scene); and I use that same term to describe someone else who shows up dos.

That is most of what I use. Have fun and play safe. Phaedra Dragon
  • sangodoc
    edited November 2010
    >xD I wanted to know, I've heard the term "squishy" a lot. I think I might have the thought of what that means, but could someone elaberate?
    From the Abbreviations and Terms PWI wiki article:
    Squishy - Characters that are easily killed or being in a state where you are easily killed. Usually those with low HP and low physical defense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • caineunholy
    caineunholy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    what is DQ1 DQ2 ?
    its in the Inventory stone quest.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=262752&highlight=inventory+stone+quest

sorry I am a nooby
  • SneakyKas - Sanctuary
    SneakyKas - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Stuff

Man you make stuff more complicated.
    kaste - BM 90 / SneakyKas - 49
    PsychicKas - 20 / FurryKas - 17
    HealingKas - 14 / KasTheSeeker - 11
    MysticalKas - 5 / CritKas - 1
    NukeKas - 1 / VenomousKas - 1
    God damn recording makes my leveling slow.
  • Sydewinder - Dreamweaver
    Sydewinder - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Nice manners in citing the source for this info.
    Thank you VERY much for posting both here - Im new to PWI, but not new to MMO's, so i understand the importance of being clear when communicating. ^_^

I'll try to practice the jargon so I dont sound like too big of a lamer. So if u find me, please bear with me, & most of all, have fun!
    What demon fights for good, drinks with elves, & feasts with crows?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:shocked~ If Life is but a dream, What happens if I wake you?? ~b:shocked
  • SilverMind - Archosaur
    SilverMind - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I found this thread very useful.Thanks for creating this! b:victory
  • sexicapie
    sexicapie Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Its gonna be hard to remember that after playing a stupid game called RS. Anyway I can't wait to get PW. I'v been waiting All Day. Nroadband speed 315KB

EDIT: I got it now
  • decpicable
    decpicable Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    masonmaxx wrote: »
    great list on here. helps a lot considering every game has different short hand (you can usually understand all the swear words though. people never short hand them do they?)

i realised how bad i was at short names when i started playing GW. suddenly, in the space of two years, language has changed. god damn i'm too old for this :)

idk we do short had ****, fu, sob and gth quite a few more if were to think about it awhile.
  • decpicable
    decpicable Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I found the post to dam long to follow. I was hoping to find answers to acronyms that are not so common like BM or such that I keep seeing in game for quest. To list every acronym that is used on the internet is a bit overboard imo.

Ohh imo=in my oppinion for those that don't know.
  • XIII_Vanille - Dreamweaver
    XIII_Vanille - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    idk if it was mentioned but, wat does "BH" mean? as in "kill a mob in the BH 9 lvls above you"
  • Taichii - Lost City
    Taichii - Lost City Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    wow i feel like a noob... im lvl 80 and i didnt know some of these....
  • Evict - Harshlands
    Evict - Harshlands Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    wow i feel like a noob... im lvl 80 and i didnt know some of these....

No worries. b:chuckle A lot o the abbreviations listed aren't commonly used in-game.
    Quote - Born_Free - Harshlands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Except me. b:chuckle
  • Morgenstern - Lost City
    Morgenstern - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, I looked through alllll these pages (yeah...lol, I did teehee) and the wiki list and still didn't see a new one I've just come across...Anyone know what OVS is please?
  • luckysquare
    luckysquare Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Can anybody tell me what is APS? I did not find this anywhere!
  • WalderBlue - Dreamweaver
    WalderBlue - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Can anybody tell me what is APS? I did not find this anywhere!

Attacks per second.
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, I looked through alllll these pages (yeah...lol, I did teehee) and the wiki list and still didn't see a new one I've just come across...Anyone know what OVS is please?

Old Valley of the Scarred - the third Past map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I'm kinda perplexed as to what GV stands for. Been playing my sin exclusively these days, and on the rare occasion I have world chat on been seeing that thrown around a time or two. o.O
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I'm kinda perplexed as to what GV stands for. Been playing my sin exclusively these days, and on the rare occasion I have world chat on been seeing that thrown around a time or two. o.O

GV means God's Vally witch is another name for Rebirth Orders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Ah. More people trying to use abbreviations from older versions in an attempt to look cool. Probably picked up from playing private servers...
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • sangodoc
    edited January 2011
    Close. GV actually stands for Godless Valley, which is the old name for Valley of Reciprocity in Rebirth.

Reminder: Please check the PWI wiki's Abbreviations and Terms article before asking here. Most PWI related abbreviations and terms can already be found there, including "GV".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tjsonic - Archosaur
    Tjsonic - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    hi all would like to know what tt means in game and what tw means players use it alot
  • sangodoc
    edited February 2011
    hi all would like to know what tt means in game and what tw means players use it alot
    From the Abbreviations and Terms wiki entry:

TT - Twilight Temple, a level 60+ dungeon. It's broken up into chapters and sub-chapters, so TT 2-3 would be the third part of the second chapter of Twilight Temple. See Twilight Temple for details.

TW - Territory Wars, a somewhat weekly event where guilds fight to gain or keep control of territories on the map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hellsire - Archosaur
    Hellsire - Archosaur Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    What does sin mean? I see it quite a lot.