I'm NOT a guy! x_x

Vibba - Sanctuary
Vibba - Sanctuary Posts: 59 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Venomancer
People always think that I'm a guy. Even if I wear pink girly fashion and pink genie. x.x It's awkward. Are there any female Venos? Sometimes I feel so alone, lol. Discuss and share your stories! ;o

My main is a lvl96 Veno.
Real stories from FCC:

Female Cleric: Guys always flirt with me! :o
Me: They never flirt with me lol.
BM: Because most Venos are guys.
Me: <_<;

Sin: Cool, a guy squad.
Me: O.o Um, I'm a girl irl...
Sin: Yeah, sure dude.
Me: *sighs* -_-;

Male Veno: You're a guy too, right?
Me: No, I'm a girl irl.
Male Veno: Oh... sorry.
Me: It's okay, I got used to it...
Male Veno: No offence but girls are not too smart haha.
Me: ... No comment.
BM: Um, 2 Venos? I'd prefer a Sin... :/
Me: Well, at least we can perma Amp. x)
Male Veno: Huh? What's Amp?
Me: LMAO. Girls are not smart, huh? XD
Barb: *kicks Male Veno out of squad and invites a Sin*
Post edited by Vibba - Sanctuary on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    i know of quite a few female venos, even just in my guild. they're out there.

in a way, i like that venos and barbs are gender-locked. i think it helps get players accustomed to genderbending, and normalizes the idea that somebody's character doesn't have to be them, not even as far as gender's concerned. but why some folks seem to take that too far and assume every veno's genderbending, i dunno. (does anybody ever assume every barb must be female IRL? i doubt it. tells you something about the culture we live in, that.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Are there any female Venos?

Sure there is. I know 3. One of them I play with on a regular basis.

I'm not female though. I play girl characters because girls can kick *** too b:cool The guy don't always have to be the hero!
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    To me gender is a relatively unimportant factor on an MMO. I did go out of my way to choose a name that would make it clear that i'm a guy, mostly because i dislike men flirting with me... Which really is an issue and has led even some female players to use male avatars when playing other classes...

I realize some people do enjoy the social aspect of the game, but much as in rl there will always be a few rotten apples that will spoil things for others. You've been very lucky if you haven't encountered enough of this side of MMOs that you actually regret being mistaken for a guy. Seriously, most of the time being mistaken for a girl is no fun to me...
  • Tekril - Dreamweaver
    Tekril - Dreamweaver Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'm NOT a guy! x_x
    Of course you're not. Venomancers can't be male.
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    lol, I'm female.
    It is kind of annoying how (some) people sincerely believe that the majority of venos are male. In my experience, the majority are female. Regardless... it's weird to assume that the person behind a char is the opposite of that char's sex o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Thankfully, I've never been put in that situation where people think/assume that I'm a guy just because so many guys play venos. I'm a girl, btw. xD

I have some guy friends who have a veno as their main. I always call venos by their name and try to avoid using he/she but if I get stuck, I just use 'she' because it's a female character and if it so happens that the veno is a dude, I just say sorry and call him properly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Norala - Dreamweaver
    Norala - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Here's the thing, ladies.

It don't matter what gender you are in MMOs. Unless you're trying to get a date on an online game, there's no reason at all to look at the person behind the character.

Personally, I treat each player as their current character's gender, because to me, their character is the only thing I'm interacting with at that moment. The only real thing that matters. Even friends or others I know outside the game, but of course only when I'm addressing them as their characters. If I'm addressing their IRL selves, I use the proper pronouns. I guess you could call that RPing to an extent, but it makes the most sense to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    People always think that I'm a guy. Even if I wear pink girly fashion and pink genie. x.x It's awkward. Are there any female Venos? Sometimes I feel so alone, lol. Discuss and share your stories! ;o

My main is a lvl96 Veno.
    Real stories from FCC:

Female Cleric: Guys always flirt with me! :o
    Me: They never flirt with me lol.
    BM: Because most Venos are guys.
    Me: <_<;

Sin: Cool, a guy squad.
    Me: O.o Um, I'm a girl irl...
    Sin: Yeah, sure dude.
    Me: *sighs* -_-;

Don't forget the teles and the horns stating you're a female. You'll get way more messages and attention this way.

Personally, I like, above all else, playing female characters in this game. I don't like the sounds males make, and for example, I dislike the character models, I dislike the fash that guys get, I dislike how utterly stupid males look in comparison to females doing skills, like ironheart, bloodpaint (hell, I don't like the way male sins move in general, like wanna be anime gangsta's), or dragons breath. If anyone has actually seen the difference between these, especially the dragons breath, you'd know what I meant.

Anyways, there is one bottom line, and that these are characters, and this is a fantasy game. You don't need to act out your real life gender, or even tell anyone what it is, presuming you're playing the role of a pixel character. If you're pretending you're a female or male RL and you're not, well, you rightfully get whatever **** people give you. If it matters, when in doubt, invoke Rules 29 and 30.
  • Shifong - Heavens Tear
    Shifong - Heavens Tear Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    People always think that I'm a guy. Even if I wear pink girly fashion and pink genie. x.x It's awkward. Are there any female Venos?
    I'm a guy but people always assume i'm a girl at first. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retsuko - Shifong
    Karmapwi.com
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Yea I know the feeling...
    I get taken for a guy too often too lol

But the fun part is... My BM is male. (Made him cause I basically was tired of looking at a female char and to get hit on less..)
    He wears pink fashion. Hes got a lovebird hat. And he rides a violet sparkly horse.
    And I still cant convince people that Im a girl in RL. lol
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • Anthemyra - Archosaur
    Anthemyra - Archosaur Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    well, i had that problem to :P (being mistaken for a guy) .. and i was playing a female cleric with a girl name to :P... then i found out that most of the ppl that play this game are male and that is the reason...

i have no problem with guys playing girl toons even if it is not a veno... or girls playing male chars... this is a game and is all about haveing fun.. and the "social" aspect of this game just makes it more spicy and funny :P
  • AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary
    AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited November 2010

^
    Your kidding me right ?... I'd seriously wanna put him in between all the girls that go to uni AND play games =\ ... Se.xist -input certain words that cant make it through censorship-

I can understand most men assume the majority of the players is male, cause let's face it Gaming used to be a geek activity, even till this day the stereotype most people have with a "gamer" is that of a fatguy nomming on galaxybars, jamming his hotkeys shouting "DIE DIE DIE DIE !!" into a permanently molten to his ears headset. -sighs-

Gamer girls do exist, not just in japan ! b:pleased
    All you need is something to believe in. -Solar_one. <-- <3 mah snoockums, mah hubby, mah eberyfing. :3

Lag; You think yours is bad ? It took Jesus 3 days to Respawn !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Current games aren't -games- anymore, just light shows operated by win buttons, lol."
    "ah sh*t, were gonna die!.... but it's still cool!" -INTMDATOR
  • Anthemyra - Archosaur
    Anthemyra - Archosaur Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ^

Gamer girls do exist, not just in japan ! b:pleased

and they are pretty to b:cute b:cute b:cute
  • Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver
    Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'm a girl too *waves* I don't have much problems with being recognised. maybe it's because I go for my characters look a bit more than usual? (And my char has minimised everything?)

Although I'm not really suprised by that attitude.
    MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls
    GIRL = Guy In Real Life
    :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DREAMWEAVER:
    Myrrmidonna, 8x Trickster b:sin
    Eskarinne, 5x Summoner b:cute

It is not the destination that makes the journey worthwhile...
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I operate similarly to Norala. Calling the characters by their character gender. If I know that the person I'm playing with is male...sometimes I switch.

I spent 3 months squading with someone several times a week that refused to believe I was female irl. Late in the 3rd month we were squaded for TT and were waiting on everyone to arrive...so he went AFK for about 5 mins. During that time another female irl I'd known for a while and I got into a serious discussion about...shoes...he comes back from afk read squad chat and says....ok ok I believe you you're really a girl. I'm like...after 3 months you change your mind? He's like yeah...no guy would have that detailed a conversation regarding shoes. ROFL if only I'd known 2.5 months prior that was all it would have taken....

Seriously though...it's a game so I go by the char genders as listed above. The only time I've gotten an "off" feeling is when I've found out or heard stories of people that have been playing together for 6+ months (sometimes over a year) with someone have a really good relationship...plan to marry the chars but won't tell them they're actually the opposite of what they play in real life. If you're good enough friends to want to spend that type of in game or zen monies...I think they deserve to know what you are in real life. In saying that I'm married in game to a friend of mine's male alt, cause his main is female. He's always been up front about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    It's funny how most people assume Venomancers are males.
    Until this summer 90% of my Venomancer friends/faction mates/associates were/are girls so I considered that most of them are girls. I generally tend to meet Venomancers played by girls more often than Venomancers played by boys.

Only recently I've started believing otherwise. Not exactly that most Venomancers are male in real life but just that there are not as few as I thought. In that case I simply use "they" or their Venomancer's name. Although, I admit my first thought is to call them "she" because Venomancers are female characters...

So far I've never been mistaken for a boy, perhaps because of my behaviour which is full of text emotes though I was asked about my gender when I was playing with Devayen. We were having some fun with the Barbarian there in BH51. I usually wear a friend's Bikini on her. He probably assumed I'm a boy because of the bikini...
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    For me it's mixed really.. some people do assume I'm a guy at first, or they just ask.
    Other people call me she right away :P

Most of the time if I squad it's with some fac mates or friends, and they all know I'm a girl :P some also know my rl name(everyone in fac knows my rl name or at least a part of it when they read my title there b:chuckle) and well, I don't know any guys with that name :P

squad chat:
    friend: [my rl name] can u pull that one :o ?
    random person: who is that O_o;; ?
    me: b:victory
    random: YOU'RE A GIRL!!?

some people assume I'm a guy at first because I trashtalk when I'm pissed off ^^"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • gelnd
    gelnd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    As a guy, I've had to correct people who assumed I was a girl... even tho "Bambi" is a male name. :P Most of the folks I hang with like to josh me a bit about it, but they're all perfectly fine with it... if anyone wants to be a jerk about it, they can go [insert forum-acceptable verb] themselves. ;)

As a side note, I can't help but be amused by the folks who want to make the point that girl gamers are intelligent and attractive, but then are perfectly happy to voice the stereotype that guy gamers are fat, obsessive, and socially inept. Is it so hard to respect people as people, regardless of their gender? I hate hearing guys that assume that all girls are unintelligent and flighty, but I hate just as much hearing girls that think all guys are sexist and biased.
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'm a girl too *waves* I don't have much problems with being recognised. maybe it's because I go for my characters look a bit more than usual? (And my char has minimised everything?)

Although I'm not really suprised by that attitude.
    MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls
    GIRL = Guy In Real Life
    :P

LOL, Love those abbreviations!

I did actually get mistaken for a guy when I was playing Auryl, my veno. We were in bh59. My ingame hubby is a lvl 80ish sin married to her, playing a male char of course. He was helping with bh. A man and a woman married. Okay, normal, no sweat, all good. b:chuckle

Then squad wipes at Zimo because either tank or cleric weren't ready. My veno was the sole survivor and the squad was pretty nice, so I offered to switch to my main to res everyone. In comes my high lvl cleric to save the day. He also happens to be male.

One of my squadmates was like, "WTF are you two ***?!"
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    For me it's mixed really.. some people do assume I'm a guy at first, or they just ask.
    Other people call me she right away :P

Most of the time if I squad it's with some fac mates or friends, and they all know I'm a girl :P some also know my rl name(everyone in fac knows my rl name or at least a part of it when they read my title there b:chuckle) and well, I don't know any guys with that name :P

squad chat:
    friend: [my rl name] can u pull that one :o ?
    random person: who is that O_o;; ?
    me: b:victory
    random: YOU'RE A GIRL!!?

some people assume I'm a guy at first because I trashtalk when I'm pissed off ^^"

~I'm a girl irl, and I trashtalk when I'm annoyed too ;D Most of the time, people get my gender right first try, which is good!
    Girl venos ftw!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • Astraea - Raging Tide
    Astraea - Raging Tide Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    o.o for some reason everyone i meet tend to assume im a girl (im a guy ofc) till i say otherwise. only hear about "most venos being guys" AFTER i state im a guy

guess maybe cause my veno looks fairly good for a guy. or the way i type as in using the ":3" <- face or w/e other abreviations

as for female venos/gamers... surprisingly more than half the ppl i play with often are girls IRL.... b:chuckle
    "Common sense isn't so common anymore." ~ Yusiong - Lost City
    b:surrender
  • Heavenberry - Dreamweaver
    Heavenberry - Dreamweaver Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Ladies and gentlemen, Teamspeak/Skype/Ventrilo in order to coordinate better faction-dungeon-runs/TW/whatever kills this problem. D:<
    Achievment unlocked: Lagg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I know why you cry, but it is something I can never do.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    lol k sry for saying this but.

boys uh.. they have prob w make good look avi, cuz thye don't spend much time on the LOOK* like girls like 2 do, we girls love make a well looked char.b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • Arshies - Sanctuary
    Arshies - Sanctuary Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    we girls love make a well looked char.b:laugh

I agree, good look and nice fashion, outfits. Btw Im a real girl!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Arshies - Sanctuary
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    lol k sry for saying this but.

boys uh.. they have prob w make good look avi, cuz thye don't spend much time on the LOOK* like girls like 2 do, we girls love make a well looked char.b:laugh

Well im a boy (as sig shows) but i completely disagree with ur statement. Me and some friends of mine dont like to look at an ugly avatar while playing , that's why we do try to create sth good looking ( and not a fat guy with pink moican hair holding a wand).

My archer is female , but that's only when i was bored and testing my creating skills she turned good , and later she became my main ( cause archers rock b:victory )

My veno is female , i cant do anything about that , she looks nice , but i play her cause i like summoners in MMORPGs , and some pets like Dark wanderer , frog or armored bear as SO DAMN COOL LOOKING b:dirtyb:dirty , i really have a lot of fun kicking wraith butts with a small frog

My cleric is male , 1st reason cause i dont like that female healer trend , and cause i really like male arcane rmor it looks fancy and not so dress like , as in other games.
    Also chain set , superstar and male lovebird just kick butt seriously , i wish i had those clothes in real life.

I mostly choose gender according to class , like healer = male , range = female close combat = male etc. I just make sure i reveal that im a boy in the beginning of a squad run on in a faction , though i wont change faction any soon ( Berzerk FTW ) . People do respect honest guys , even in a game , and that's what i always try to do . sorry for semi - wall of text
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Brionni - Harshlands
    Brionni - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Its quite easy to recognize a male veno, 90% of them never bother with the appearance editor (and not only venos) so they just choose an existing model and look like clones. A significant part of male venos does not wear any fashion. Very very few male venos have unique looks and buy a nice set of fashion for their characters (even if they do, they seldom pay attention to different/ugly/unfitting colors). Their pets are only herc/GW, they never tame cute but useless pets, they don't care about looks, only about statsb:lipcurl
    And girls, many of them don't mind wearing white/blue gear if they can get white/black damsel dressb:laugh, I've seen a lot of girls hiding rags under gorgeous fashion.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    You would never know I was a guy unless I tell you. I love me some good set of legs and Sil's legs were worked on alot til I got the "form" I wanted. The eyes got the most work though, because they are the window to the soul. A good set of eyes gives your character a personality. Her eyes are blue to represent her pure kind heart. I have a TON of fashion x_x, and all colors match just about. Even shoe color.
  • Heavenberry - Dreamweaver
    Heavenberry - Dreamweaver Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    You would never know I was a guy unless I tell you. I love me some good set of legs and Sil's legs were worked on alot til I got the "form" I wanted. The eyes got the most work though, because they are the window to the soul. A good set of eyes gives your character a personality. Her eyes are blue to represent her pure kind heart. I have a TON of fashion x_x, and all colors match just about. Even shoe color.

Amen brother ! D:
    Achievment unlocked: Lagg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I know why you cry, but it is something I can never do.
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Its quite easy to recognize a male veno, 90% of them never bother with the appearance editor (and not only venos) so they just choose an existing model and look like clones. A significant part of male venos does not wear any fashion. Very very few male venos have unique looks and buy a nice set of fashion for their characters (even if they do, they seldom pay attention to different/ugly/unfitting colors). Their pets are only herc/GW, they never tame cute but useless pets, they don't care about looks, only about statsb:lipcurl
    And girls, many of them don't mind wearing white/blue gear if they can get white/black damsel dressb:laugh, I've seen a lot of girls hiding rags under gorgeous fashion.

either the male venos u meet are all the same , or i smell a small bit of feminish , no offence
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    i'm generally too lazy to spend much time on character customization, and too untalented to get a good result if i try. i tweak my toons enough that they aren't exactly cookie-cutter templates, but i suspect a lot of you folks could probably tell exactly which template i started out with on each of them... it's not a matter of not wanting to look unique, but more of ending up looking diseased and weird if i try too hard.

hm, maybe i should upload a screenshot of Lenie to use as my profile picture on core... nah, the one i've got there is too funny not to use. (it's an accidental merge of me and some other random veno after we both autopathed to the same NPC.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.