HA cleric...

Options
KrazyKleric - Lost City
KrazyKleric - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Cleric
would HA/AA clerics be able to get into squads for end-game instances such as frost or GV? b:questionb:question

I'm building one for fun, but would like to see it in action b:victory

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=521e8b923cc1708a

is what seems I'll likely to have by 90 (have all but the cape and boots, and have enough coin to get everything)

Although its magic damage and defense are low compared to normal arcane clerics, Its physical defense and potential hp (from refines and later gear) outshines normal clerics.

The answers im expecting are probably not, with the exception of friends who know how competent you are or guild runs, but still I want to hear your opinion! b:victory
Post edited by KrazyKleric - Lost City on

Comments

• Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    For a fun build to try out yes, even more so if you plan on going on runs with your friends and guild members since to them you can actually explain why and how then with randoms.
    Making the lack in healing power not so much noticeable.

So I say go for it.

~Also, try the search. There was a nice topic about this in the past, along with some old PW-MY screens of HA in action.
    Not to mention tons of calcs for gear
    b:dirty
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    for LA/HA u need really high refines to compensate for all points put in str/dex

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24564446/Effective_HP-9.xls

quick, opposite build:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=23a55ef17c485a4a

you lose 15% survivality against p.dmg

gained 100% against m.dmg
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    for LA/HA u need really high refines to compensate for all points put in str/dex

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24564446/Effective_HP-9.xls

quick, opposite build:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=23a55ef17c485a4a

you lose 15% survivality against p.dmg

gained 100% against m.dmg

Why does your gold TT robe have 18 Magic on it :o

Also, pretty much what Para said. You'd need a nicely refined weapon to make up for the shortfall since your effectiveness in squad settings is diminished if you cannot heal as well.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    would HA/AA clerics be able to get into squads for end-game instances such as frost or GV? b:questionb:question
    purely depends on how well you play your class and how you can adapt yourself to diff. situations if needed.

example)
    if you are one that insists on wearing HA when a magic attack hits you for 12k when you have 7k HP then NO, thats no being versatile.

think BMs, they change their weapons depending on what their fighting. For some it could be fists and they must change to axe every so often to HF. You can be HA, LA, AA, but just make sure you adapt yourself so you are 1)useful 2)survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

is what seems I'll likely to have by 90 (have all but the cape and boots, and have enough coin to get everything)

Although its magic damage and defense are low compared to normal arcane clerics, Its physical defense and potential hp (from refines and later gear) outshines normal clerics.

The answers im expecting are probably not, with the exception of friends who know how competent you are or guild runs, but still I want to hear your opinion! b:victory

I dont think you should have any problems. Just as long as your build is well thought out your squad probably wont even notice any deficiencies. (I used HA since 5x and have never had problems in pve)

Dont really like build you made tho if I have to be completely honest! XD
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Meyki - Sanctuary
    Meyki - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    So many mobs and bosses use magic as ranged attack. Cleric does not have any good melee skills. I mean, cleric does not have any. The loss from wearing (or be able to wear) HA will be significantly higher than the gain from wearing HA when needed. But maybe I am wrong, tell me, where are you going to be hit so hard to show off your HA advantage?
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    So many mobs and bosses use magic as ranged attack. Cleric does not have any good melee skills. I mean, cleric does not have any. The loss from wearing (or be able to wear) HA will be significantly higher than the gain from wearing HA when needed. But maybe I am wrong, tell me, where are you going to be hit so hard to show off your HA advantage?

The op said for fun....
    b:dirty
  • Meyki - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The op said for fun....
    Hey we all play pw for fun, don't we? You didn't answer my question at all..
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    go go 5aps clawric!
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Hey we all play pw for fun, don't we? You didn't answer my question at all..

There nothing stopping you from wearing full arcane gear. o___o'
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

Soulbanisher's AOE would be one place. Heck, add in any other phys AOE boss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Meyki - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Mayfly, you are right. But cheap AA sharded with garnets works well enough there . If you prefer citrines, you can use this as your alt. robe without need of investing points in strength. You can also use phys. res. jewelery as an alternative to your cool -6% channeling necklace and belt in these cases... What I see is very limited use for this HA set. Maybe if you were doing fb for someone and you wanted to gather all mobs in cave and then let siren kiss them, HA would really shine.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    'no' for all that stupid reasons b:surrender
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    go go 5aps clawric!

You can only make cleric 4 aps. b:chuckle Which I was thinking of doing to my cleric just for lolz & scare the squad. But then the prob is I can only equip a 80/90lvl mgk weap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

A HA/AA cleric shouldn't have an issue with FF or RB. In FF, level 70 clerics can heal well enough, and in RB the cleric's use is sitting in BB for the dmg reduction (and occasional heals).

Know that your heals will be limited, drastically, and to even be a slightly effective cleric you will have to gimp your defense in favor of -channeling. Which isn't so bad, except you don't have the magic, thus magic attack, to help keep yourself and others alive, as well. I toyed around with a cleric HA/AA build and to get over -30 channeling and 8000 magic attack you're going to have to refine a NP to +10 or better in order to accomplish this, and still, that's over 2,000 magic attack less than an actual pure mag/AA endgame build. That's 20% less effective cleric, and way more if you consider the lack of -channeling a cleric has to wear in favor of +stat gear just to wear HA and use a magic weapon at their level.

Trying this build early on will be next to impossible if not impossible. You will need a ton of +stat gear just to be able to wear HA and use a magic weapon, you're going to have absolutely crappy magic attack (low levels are already a pain for clerics), now going to be made that much more difficult as you not only will completely lack any HP, you won't be able to put into vit for survivability and you'll still be gimped in magic which is what really defines a cleric's power.

Now, if your "fun" is defined by making you a less effective cleric (skills can't make up in this case for a ****ty build), then I suppose your fun is at the cost of the squad you're with, most of this targeting early levels. Later on, it's certainly possible (more feasible with a re-stat near endgame) to do a HA/AA build but you'll logically be limited more to FF/RB. Since that's all you mentioned, if you're just going to get your gold belt, 100 fairy, and get to level 100+, then it's a good build endgame. Otherwise, since everything a cleric does revolves around magic (=>magic attack) and -channeling, it's going to make other instances like Nirvana and TT 3-2/3-3 completely miserable as your heals won't be potent enough, unless you end up with a +12 G15 Nirvana weapon. Possible, but a complete waste. This build works far better for a veno.
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You can only make cleric 4 aps. b:chuckle Which I was thinking of doing to my cleric just for lolz & scare the squad. But then the prob is I can only equip a 80/90lvl mgk weap.

oh, yes, no -int from sparkb:cute
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    A HA/AA cleric shouldn't have an issue with FF or RB. In FF, level 70 clerics can heal well enough, and in RB the cleric's use is sitting in BB for the dmg reduction (and occasional heals).

Have you even played a barb & tanked an rb with a pure vs high vit/LA cleric? You can feel the difference in your charm ticks... Or at least I could when RB was THE way to lvl. But that's not the point of the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Have you even played a barb & tanked an rb with a pure vs high vit/LA cleric? You can feel the difference in your charm ticks... Or at least I could when RB was THE way to lvl. But that's not the point of the thread.
    It's not the point?

Pretty sure it is the point.

I was a VIT cleric (had ~ 130 - 170) and did RB's (statted down my VIT when I got better gear/refines) and the heals from BB weren't that noticeable -- it might be noticeable between someone with, say, 500 magic and 300, but you'd have to be very closely monitoring it and it still wouldn't be that much difference. It seems you're overrating heals from BB. Compare to IH heals, and you'll see what I mean. Speaking of IH, as I iterated, heals in 3-3 3-2 and Nirvana will matter because doing IH a HA/AA cleric will, without a doubt, notice their lack of healing power.

The bigger picture, which was just as relevant as the part you quoted, yet not included, is that you don't just pick up a cleric and start doing FF and RB. Gotta get there first, and the road to that is a pretty miserable one as a HA/AA cleric.
  • KrazyKleric - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I dont think you should have any problems. Just as long as your build is well thought out your squad probably wont even notice any deficiencies. (I used HA since 5x and have never had problems in pve)

Dont really like build you made tho if I have to be completely honest! XD

awwww, you dont like it? D:, can you recommend me a build then? b:pleased well actually, I'll just go look up the one you had on Pippin's HA cleric thread =]
    go go 5aps clawric!

HEHE maybe i should b:shocked, FULL INTERVAL NIRVANA RUN FTW? b:dirty

Know that your heals will be limited, drastically, and to even be a slightly effective cleric you will have to gimp your defense in favor of -channeling. Which isn't so bad, except you don't have the magic, thus magic attack, to help keep yourself and others alive, as well. I toyed around with a cleric HA/AA build and to get over -30 channeling and 8000 magic attack you're going to have to refine a NP to +10 or better in order to accomplish this, and still, that's over 2,000 magic attack less than an actual pure mag/AA endgame build. That's 20% less effective cleric, and way more if you consider the lack of -channeling a cleric has to wear in favor of +stat gear just to wear HA and use a magic weapon at their level.

Trying this build early on will be next to impossible if not impossible. You will need a ton of +stat gear just to be able to wear HA and use a magic weapon, you're going to have absolutely crappy magic attack (low levels are already a pain for clerics), now going to be made that much more difficult as you not only will completely lack any HP, you won't be able to put into vit for survivability and you'll still be gimped in magic which is what really defines a cleric's power.

Now, if your "fun" is defined by making you a less effective cleric (skills can't make up in this case for a ****ty build), then I suppose your fun is at the cost of the squad you're with, most of this targeting early levels. Later on, it's certainly possible (more feasible with a re-stat near endgame) to do a HA/AA build but you'll logically be limited more to FF/RB. Since that's all you mentioned, if you're just going to get your gold belt, 100 fairy, and get to level 100+, then it's a good build endgame. Otherwise, since everything a cleric does revolves around magic (=>magic attack) and -channeling, it's going to make other instances like Nirvana and TT 3-2/3-3 completely miserable as your heals won't be potent enough, unless you end up with a +12 G15 Nirvana weapon. Possible, but a complete waste. This build works far better for a veno.

It's okay b:scorn
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    if you go 5.0 aps with claws/fists ill be dissapointed- if you have that much money to spend to make a 5.0 aps char... why waste it on a cleric- they do **** physical damage, just make a bm but whatever lol to each his own
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Options
    if you go 5.0 aps with claws/fists ill be dissapointed- if you have that much money to spend to make a 5.0 aps char... why waste it on a cleric- they do **** physical damage, just make a bm but whatever lol to each his own

go go account stash gadget? b:avoid
  • Nyxya - Harshlands
    Nyxya - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    in my parts HA cleric is called 1 hit clericb:laugh
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    go go account stash gadget? b:avoid

you would assume they had a bm or barb to begin with... or just wasted time to make a cleric first?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Options
    you would assume they had a bm or barb to begin with... or just wasted time to make a cleric first?

well, he does have a 101 archer.. so i guess that he has most of the -int gear xD
  • KrazyKleric - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    in my parts HA cleric is called 1 hit clericb:laugh

well in my parts it's called I'm doing w/e i want cause its a game b:cute
  • Wuss - Harshlands
    Wuss - Harshlands Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i would make a heavy armor cleric in a heart beat if they could use skills while using fist weapons bu i dont think they can so i dont

can they if they can somone better tell me!
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    @OP:

For fun?, are you going to spend a lot of money and time on a cleric that will not be able to do its function in a squad?, that's more like, stressing much for nothing.

Clerics already are despised enough "heal!", "cleric died b/c of healing me, noob cleric" (heal lure because of fail tank / lurer), etc. etc.

Now I can't imagine what you would be passing through if you go HA :/ sure you will be able to survive more phy hits, but... how many? (at low levels)

If you have high HP (over 9k), you may be able to stand a little longer against melee classes for pvp, but due to the lack of magic, you'd pretty much not stand a chance against magic classes (could be wrong, probably would at 80-90s).

Also, you'd be wasting a lot of potential for attacking, maybe you can survive, but your attacks will suck since every single cleric attack skill is based on magic (you would not be even able to use magic weapon...).

I'd say, if you want to make a HA cleric, do so, but expect to be despised even more, kicked out of squads, die a lot more (since most mobs are magic based). Also, you will have to stress way more to level up than a AA or LA cleric.

That is the second option, make a LA cleric, I know some LA clerics that kick butt, and I probably know a HA cleric that is not longer playing lol (havent seen her).
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • Redjack_Rose - Sanctuary
    Redjack_Rose - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hey I know I'm kinda late to the party, but I got to say you're not giving the HA caster (mostly cleric) they're proper dues. My cleric was able to go HA at a little over 70, and at 80 fully capable of wearing TT80 HA and using a TT80 magic weapon. At 90 she will wear up-to-date armor as well, and even into the 100's. The beauty of it all is, she can survive extremely well. She is a true support cleric because she will keep the part (including herself) alive.

She's got two sets off armor, an HA and an AA set. I've even hot keyed them so she can switch between sets mid-fight. She's capable of wearing part HA and part AA for a comfy medium that is even better than LA. She can even switch gear in BB :-). This makes her capable of picking and choosing her resistances at any given moment.

Let's talk damage and healing. Damage wise, she hits for about 2k less than a Pure cleric (and takes a hit 16x better.) Her healing is more than capable of keeping the tank alive and I haven't found a squad yet that chrome couldn't fix. Her BB is also just as capable. She's been healing in Fb's and Fcc's since 78 without any trouble. (Her weapon is only a 1 socket with a +3 refine btw.)

In a squad I've never had a complaint about my healing ability despite openly wearing my HA (no fashion on). I've even been compliment on how well she does. Even when the squad wiped in Fcc (the barb died before the BB was even up), she went through a mob of frost assassins (You know the ones that kill squishies in 2 hits?) to get to her downed squad. IH yourself a in between siren's kiss and Razor feather, and you'll have one stubborn *** cleric tearing up any number of mobs. And don't get me started about when I throw up Plume shield. :-)

So don't knock it before you try it because of theories. You just got to find everything's strengths and weaknesses (HA cleric... kiss your DD good bye, but hell you should be healing any way).

Got any questions? Send me a pm or if you're on Sanctuary, whisper Meesa_chan anytime.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I saw that HA cleric is a valid end game build, once. Been curious ever since. Pretty sure they were talking TW build with highly refined armor.

Basically HA refines much better for higher hp. Having high enough magic stats for your weapon means you still have decent mdef, you'll have high pdef from HA, so you won't be picked off in TW by archers using physical attacks or wizards using magic attacks. Because most people use charms during TWs, the more balanced defense gives you more opportunities to survive for a second hit and long enough for your charm to tick.

I think the +30 attack jones blessings ruined this build, though, since now archers and wizards can still one shout either HA barbs or AA wizards.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    10/21 was Yamiino's post....

Come on people... don't necro threads...
    b:sweat
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray