Why is it frowned upon to WC a "bad" player

Options
Starflair - Dreamweaver
Starflair - Dreamweaver Posts: 151 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
I know calling someone "bad" is subjective. I only put "bad" because there isn't a lot of room in the title.

Basically what I'm asking is: Why do players throw a huff whenever you're trying to warn them of players who are deliberatley not cooperative in squads, thus causing the mission to fail. (ie: someone who stands idly by as the rest of the squad kills a boss/mobs. Perhaps someone who does not give the wine supplier or tabber their drops. etc.)

I've never done it myself, but I've been in squads where the squad members would WC about someone in that squad who pretty much screwed us over (intentionally). I think it was in FCC and they like, left the squad and activated heads while we were pulling the mobs.

So our squad leader starts the WC about how you shouldn't squad with so and so because they did A and B and will fail your mission. That WC was followed up by a couple of other WC of people saying things like stop being a baby, quit whining, etc.

I can understand if someone is like "OMG *removed* FRANKIE IS A NOOB HE ACTIVATED HEADS AND STEALS FB DROPS". But this was someone who was politely informing the community that this person may be a liability to the party. I did WC to vouch for him and actually received several whispers of people who squadded with that guy and agreed that he was a liability.

So yeah, why do people get so worked up? I wouldn't ask if this was the only example I had, it's hapened several times.

I just like to stay in the loop. I'm still not terribly familiar with the lingo in the pwi society.
Post edited by Starflair - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ppl get worked up and say things like "quit whining" and what ever else just say it cos they feel like it and *biggens* them self up to be super ultra cool on w/c, tis about it realy, if u get it in a PM though, there either: stupidly sensitive even for others or B, they no the person.

i wudnt worry about it to much though, its easy to no that PW's nice population died ages ago and now full of monkeys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    Aisubeki - Sanctuary Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    because it's immature, childish banter. it's like going to school and shouting on the playgrounds that 'johnny picks his nose in class, don't play with him!' it's beyond childish, and no one cares about your drama, keep it to your self.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    remember our fallen heroes
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    because it's immature, childish banter. it's like going to school and shouting on the playgrounds that 'johnny picks his nose in class, don't play with him!' it's beyond childish, and no one cares about your drama, keep it to your self.

In my opinion, it's like saying "Johnny cheats off my paper in class, don't let him see your paper during tests!"

Which is not the right action to take, nevertheless, but closer to the actual situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    dont know what things are like in ghost city, but last i checked, people whine about the most idiotic things when it comes to 'bad' here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I wouldn't personally whine about it, the annoyingly terrible squadlings just go on the FL "DO NOT SQUAD" but it's not that I don't appreciate WCs about people who insert themselves into bh and frost squads that are terrible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Montcalm - Archosaur
    Montcalm - Archosaur Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    i personally dont agree with it being childish. If someone is always a jerk in squads and doesnt realize that its just a game. And if they **** other real people in their squad over for the benefit of their chararacter; then I would really appreciate it if someone told me not to invite him/her to the squad. Frankly, i incourage it.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

So, if someone posted a polite world chat stating something like "Player X steals wine fees, please beware of this player and don't let them take wine costs" you would slate them for being "beyond childish" and causing drama towards poor player X.

So in your ideal world the players decide not to warn anyone and 10 minutes later you get invited to a nice BH squad by some guy called Player X, who handily has wine ready and asks for 30k fee.....

...Bet you'd all have wished someone had been "childish" on wc then. b:chuckle
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    because 30k is a miniscule amount. if you were to make a big fuss about it, its creating unnecessary drama which im forced to read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    because 30k is a miniscule amount. if you were to make a big fuss about it, its creating unnecessary drama which im forced to read.

dot dot dot
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    dot dot dot

icwutudidthar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Or you could turn off world chat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

Let's say for the sake of argument, that you needed your walls painted in your house. Now lets say that the painter came to your house, did a horrible job painting, got the paint all over the carpet, and just did a completely mediocre job.
    Would you be against going on the internet and telling other would-be clients for that painter to not hire him?

Now because I can see it coming, let me adress your counter argument...
    "No I wouldnt say anything because why shouldnt other people have to suffer the same way I did."

Okay now let's flip it. Let's say somebody neglected to tell YOU that the painter does a horrible job. You'd be angry.

Oh, and as for the OP.
    Don't worry about the responses. The people who talk the loudest/most have nothing to say. Those who run their mouths on WC are nobodys who hope for a response and only wish to inflate their ego's. I assure you, MANY people take note of those WC's.
    I for one, blacklist anyone that is WC'd as someone who is a liability twice, and on the first time if I know/respect the WC'er. I simply dont have the money/willingness to buy a tele and say thank you over the WC. Though I will usually whisp the individual who alerted me and thank them (as was the case with you)
  • B_K - Sanctuary
    B_K - Sanctuary Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its not that the act its self is horrible annoying or so. But the way people do it.

99% of the time the "Warning" is followed by Q.Qing or just unnecessary name calling and banter.

when u see "So and So stole Such and Such and is a jerk face. has no life, is a ****"

u tend to not want to hear it, or even trust whats going on its just a waste of time by then
  • Tsutai - Dreamweaver
    Tsutai - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think that if you want to report someone for doing something wrong, then do it through a GM or something. If you want to world chat that someone just stole your money, fine. But don't go around saying people are bad in squads. How will someone ever learn if no one wants to take them? They could just be nervous, or maybe need a lot more practice. But eventually they'll most likely get better. How would you feel if you messed up a few times that didn't go unnoticed, and everyone slandered you because of it?

Just something to think about.... b:bye
    Tsutai - 91 Demon Cleric
    xYuna - 62 Veno

<3
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I used to initially just world chat warning people of mold thieves or those who purposely set BH squads (later wine split ones) to free for all drops trying to steal molds. Then later on I did it to FF's when people booted me for the most stupid ****, warning them of fails. Of course, in the few times I did a world chat I got a few of their friends who were idiots. Exposing someone is a way of getting their stupidity out in the open. There's nothing wrong with that and if someone doesn't wanna read it, there's functions to either ignore the player or block out world chat altogether.
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I think that if you want to report someone for doing something wrong, then do it through a GM or something. If you want to world chat that someone just stole your money, fine. But don't go around saying people are bad in squads. How will someone ever learn if no one wants to take them? They could just be nervous, or maybe need a lot more practice. But eventually they'll most likely get better. How would you feel if you messed up a few times that didn't go unnoticed, and everyone slandered you because of it?

Just something to think about.... b:bye

Why not? By the time people really know about world chat where to get teles etc, and by the time they also know when people are bad, such as 7x/8xish, and they haven't learned by then, they deserve it...
  • DEVlLKING - Sanctuary
    DEVlLKING - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why not? By the time people really know about world chat where to get teles etc, and by the time they also know when people are bad, such as 7x/8xish, and they haven't learned by then, they deserve it...
    No one deserves to get made fun of or get told that they are rubbish at playing a certain way.

That just sounds like a horrible thing to do to someone.
    Everyone should help each other and be kind to each other and if you do that then people will have to better time playing the game as well.

Just because someone is a high level does not mean that they now know everything in the game or should know everything in the game.

Everyone gets confused or needs help on certain parts of the game no matter what level.

It would be different however if the person did not accept any help and just thought that their way is the right way then matter what.
    That kind of person should not be bothered with.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You know, now that I think of it, I did see 1 time where somebody politely made their case in WC about an alleged TT mat thief and then just let it go. They just said their piece, and then didn't try to turn the whole thing into a back-and-forth drama-fest.

So that makes 1 time, vs. about, oh, I don't know... let's see... I've been playing casually for 2 years and usually see a big public name-calling match about once a week, so I guess that makes about 100 times?

So, yeah, people react negatively because 99% of the time it's an annoying yelling match between two immature parties. Also, I don't know how representative my experiences have been, but a couple of times I just by chance happened to have been in situations where I witnessed the alleged offense, and in both cases I felt that the "victim" was making false accusations simply because they were being a baby.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Morell - Lost City
    Morell - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    the situation differs depending on the WC. i also wanted to add my vote to, "yes pls inform us of bad players".

other than that, when i see stuff like "x is fail, has no life sucky person etc.." i tend to think, lame *** drama goin on there, which doesnt concern me. but its not against the rules and i can turn off wc if i want. its not the same as "x just did this and that, stole wine money pls beware". levelheaded warning is always appreciated.
  • RazorTank - Lost City
    RazorTank - Lost City Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

iTroll, now in stores ;D
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Bad PvPer? Don't talk ****. That means you're an egotistical jerk who's too busy stroking his e-pen0r after every fight and there's know reason for everyone to know if someone's a bad PVPer.

Scammer? Yes, shout. Warn others so they don't get robbed either.

Bad PvEer? Don't talk ****. Same as bad PvPer. Yes it's frustrating but the dude is trying. You're just being a jerk for announcing he's bad and you're ruining his chances to squad and improve in the future. Feel free to complain with constructive criticism to him, though.

Someone who AFKs during a boss/Sins who stealth and run all the way to the final boss while the rest of the squad fights their way through? Very tempting to shout for the latter, cause that's so god damn ret@rded, but don't. Same rules as the above.

Someone who PURPOSEFULLY messes up PvE runs? Sure, shout. I'm pretty sure the person would enjoy seeing your shout though.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Let's say for the sake of argument, that you needed your walls painted in your house. Now lets say that the painter came to your house, did a horrible job painting, got the paint all over the carpet, and just did a completely mediocre job.
    Would you be against going on the internet and telling other would-be clients for that painter to not hire him?

Now because I can see it coming, let me adress your counter argument...
    "No I wouldnt say anything because why shouldnt other people have to suffer the same way I did."

Okay now let's flip it. Let's say somebody neglected to tell YOU that the painter does a horrible job. You'd be angry.
    this situation isn't in a game, it isn't digital data that will just disappear in a few years. the situation is, thus you cant compare apples to oranges. this comparison is as bad as that tard zoe and her comparing of pvp being wrong because you wouldn't 'PK' people irl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tsutai - Dreamweaver
    Tsutai - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

No one deserves to be treated like that. You don't think they're good, don't squad with them, if your friends ask or something comes up tell the truth. You don't have to be a complete ******* about it.
    Tsutai - 91 Demon Cleric
    xYuna - 62 Veno

<3
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

The problem with this analogy is that it's a painter: a PROFESSIONAL providing a service in exchange for your hard-earned money. It's expected of him to provide an acceptable standard of service. It's also expected that he has experience doing his job or took a class or whatever until he was capable of providing this standard of service.
    Perfect World is a game, with people playing it with different degrees of seriousness. Some people play only on weekends, some play every day, some play for an hour a week. Some people hate being PKed, others think PK is fun and some just don't care. It's wanted that your teammates do a good job, but it's not to be expected. There's no requirement of them to meet a certain standard of performance and you're not paying them to do so. Perfect World, you can only learn how to play by making mistakes. There is no class or book you can study to learn how to play well, and it'd be ridiculous to expect people to do such a thing before they're allowed to play a GAME.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I personally appreciate when someone on world chat informs the community if someone is bad, or like to **** people like in this case. As for the drama that normally follows, I do not care.

Remember that in the case of the OP, the "bad" player intetionally savotaged their frost party. That really deserves to be called so other people don't get screwed.
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    No one deserves to be treated like that. You don't think they're good, don't squad with them, if your friends ask or something comes up tell the truth. You don't have to be a complete ******* about it.

You completely missed the point...

By the time they get to 7x they should completely understand their character and know how to use it and not be fail, thus I see nothing wrong with calling nubs at that level fail over world chat, see my point?

I can understand at 2x/3x/4x/maybeeeeeeee 5x but after that and they still haven't learned how to play their class? Fail no matter how you look at it.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    this situation isn't in a game, it isn't digital data that will just disappear in a few years. the situation is, thus you cant compare apples to oranges. this comparison is as bad as that tard zoe and her comparing of pvp being wrong because you wouldn't 'PK' people irl.

Sanc would be in trouble if I could do that.
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I personally have always seen calling out a bad player in WC, as something that's just plain tasteful, and I would do it as well if they **** me over. However, many people lie, call names, or do it in a non-tasteful manner. Also, often times it's just a misunderstanding. I can't even remember how many times I've seen people call someone out for "mat stealing" in TTs, when in all reality it was purely a misunderstanding, such as the person had dc'd or his game crashed. I've even seen a player get called out for accidentally falling asleep and getting mats in a TT run. He promptly woke up, however he had his name all over WC saying how he's in their squad and has stolen mats, lol.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'm with the painter story.

If you don't do the best job your character can do GTFO and take your hard on with you.

Know how to what your character is capable of or GTFO.

A good player knows how to negotiate, mitigate and work things out with other players and communication is the key.

If you do bad, you aren't trying hard enough but a try-hard isn't wanted if you make excuses.
    Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • So - Raging Tide
    So - Raging Tide Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    our squad leader starts the WC about how you shouldn't squad with so and so because...

wat..? b:sad

/trolling10char