The Key to Staff

Comments

• chaoticrampage
    chaoticrampage Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Guys, keep this on topic please. If you want to brag about being the **** guy or joke about it, keep it to another thread. I'd like for this one to be taken relatively seriously, please. =|

Sorry Airy, didn't mean to start going off topic. My own thread was thrown out of whack so I'll respect your wishes.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Sorry Airy, didn't mean to start going off topic. My own thread was thrown out of whack so I'll respect your wishes.

Yeah, it's been happening a lot. I know your thread went waaaaaaay off the direction it started on and Michael's didn't survive for all the long either. =P

It just seems to make a better point and make us more serious and collected as a unit if we keep on topic in the thread. =) I can get why you're joking about being called the **** guy though, because I was LOLing about it on MSN with somebody else.

Seriously, make it a thread in Off Topic, I'd love to join.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Well-Said Airyll, I don't come to the forums and post around much, but I read a lot of the topics. In light of all of the recent chaos, this is pretty much one of the very few that actually makes sense! I whole-heartedly agree with it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • LesBionic - Archosaur
    LesBionic - Archosaur Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Airyll, somehow, I do not understand. I am just a simple graphic artist, so I have no knowledge on such matters, only general knowledge. I had read quite a lot of your post so far, and most of them are really constructive and mature. But there is this powerful hostility that is always present in your post. Do you always post like this as a head administrator in the forums you control?

Since Red and other prominent posters decided to leave, that leave a few dominant posters. For Red, whenever I saw a pointless flame thread, I can see that Red always avoid it. But when stuff needs to get across (eg her posts in the welcome mod thread), she replied straight to the point, good or bad, with little to no hostility, despite the flaming presence. Now she is gone, other forum goers will look upon some other to show them how to 'post'. Perhaps you, or others. If you frequently post with such hostility that undermine the mods' authorities, others may follow suit, like the F thread and such.

Problem is, you are very mature, and your post will mostly be straight to the point. But followers may be immature brats or just someone who loses his/her cool for the moment, and post trash in the forum. Then everyone blames the mods for not cleaning the forum.

As well, since you are an experienced head admin, maybe you will enlighten us how you will do? Perhaps pacify the forum? Or join the F thread and says , "Hi, please say nice things?" Maybe you will tell us what may restrict a mod can do, like decision overwrite by devs or shareholders?

Everyone has says that "Red or XXX should be mod! Vote for mod!" What if PWI had actually approached Red and ask her to be mod, and she had rejected it? And since PWI will not talk about any of this, only the posters who got asked will know. It will be great for PWI to accept Red though. Once everyone sees that Red is a mod, all the nonsense will die down. But maybe those being asked to be a mod knows how **** this forum posters are, they will not touch the position within a 1000 feet pole.

Come to think of it, when someone reflect a negative feedback to your post, or an agurement, a lot of your replies are always laced with sacastic remarks and mockery. Is that how a head admin reacts to? I thought being a professional poster, you should have know that posters may be kids who cannot control their feelings, but you can?

You said PWI needs new mods. Will you be one if you are invited? Who will volunteer when now the mods have a gag order now? Really. most of my post are just questions that I do not really understand. Nobody needs to answer anything though, because nothing needs to be proven.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    Snipped for length.

I've always been known as a harsh forum poster around here, and that has nothing to do with my position on other forums. That's just how I am. If you don't like it?

... Sorry to say, don't read. I can't help how you, or that person next to you, or the person five rows behind you, thinks I come across. That's how you choose to interpret my words, that's your opinion of me. To be honest, I'm not bothered. If you think I'm hostile? Then you think I'm hostile. I won't sit and talk about pretty rainbows and how beautiful flowers are to try and make you think otherwise. Your opinion of me is your own and you've just spent an entire post seemingly telling me how horrible it is or how you don't approve of it. Welps, sorry, it's going to stay that way. It's just how I post. Much like a moronic troll is liable to make moronic troll posts, or a smart and calm poster will tend to make smart and calm parts, I'm generally brutally honest when I'm being "harsh" for the most point.

My tone should not technically undermine what I have to say, although you greatly suggest otherwise.

Reds was not asked to be a moderator. Anybody who has spoken to or heard her offsite will know this, including myself. Technically you're right, if somebody is asked to be a moderator and they decline, they won't talk about it on here. But, they do talk about it elsewhere, and from that I can tell you Reds was not asked to be a moderator. Much like I know somebody else who was, and he declined.

But this post was not about "OMG REDS FOR MOD" and I'd appreciate if you took that somewhere else. This post was a suggestion I put forward about the now, and since Reds isn't here now that makes a good part of your post redundant. You're reminiscing on what you would have liked to see, and this topic is putting forward a suggestion for what could happen in the future.

And if I was asked to be a moderator? You're joking.

Firstly, I'm not about to asked to be a moderator. I've said it before and I'll say it again, by all rights I should have been banned by now. Why I'm not, I have no idea. In fact, nobody does. But that's a little besides the point. I have not been asked and will not be asked to be a moderator.

On a similar note, if I ever was asked, I'd probably decline. I have no reason to moderate such hostile and violent forums, particularly when a good part of it's member base is (or at least, was) calling for my ban. Certainly a good portion of players posting here do not like me and find my opinions too direct or too harsh. Oh hey, in fact, you seem to be one of the latter, given your huge complaint about my posts.

There was very little to not understand about my post, you have merely decided to ask questions not related to it and make statements that didn't need to be made here.
    1) My posting style is my posting style. It won't change just because you don't like it or you fail to understand something I post.
    2) Reds is gone, please go reminisce over the idea of her being a mod in a different thread. Not in this one, which focuses on the now as much as possible.
    3) I'll never be asked to be a mod, and if I was I probably wouldn't take it. Simple as.

And none of the questions you asked had anything to do with my original post, which is probably why you're so confused.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • haybails
    haybails Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    While I would say I pretty much agree with your post in principle, I don't with the precise nature of it or all the points.
    My golden rule of staff, which has never failed me nor my staff team:

If you cannot participate on the forums as a normal forum member, and if you cannot see a situation from a member's view point, you cannot be good staff.

We can make a point about one quote (above). By the same token it could be said that a normal forum member should also be able to see a moderators/staff members point of view. If you are forum mod/staff on other boards as you say you are, you would appreciate this also.
    A forum lurker. Does this mean she has experience? No it does not. You could lurk on a forum forever, but watching does not constitute experience. In forums like these you have to post and interact with people to get a feel for how this forum works.

Lurking gives an idea of peoples text style and character. Don't tell me you never read a thread or a post and think something about the poster and build a picture of things or themselves? (See next point). Lurking is using observational skills. That's applicable in my book and surely would be recognised by someone with forum board moderating experience.

I won't go into arrogance issues, it's all too easy to become a flame subject. All I'll say is that it is all too easy to unintentionally write words which give the wrong impression.

Quote:
    It's my weekend too.

Really now? We all knew that. But you should have also been prepared to be moderating forums you were put in charge of on weekends. It's voluntary, yes, but it's part of the job. Moderating forums isn't a weekday job where you get the weekends off. It's a job where you need to check online, every day, even if only for an hour, to make sure things are in running order.

And yes, folks. An hour. That's all it takes if you have a large enough moderating team that can work together and have fun with the member base at the same time.

Good job for your second paragraph there, that is, in reality, the whole point of your thread from what I can tell. We need a larger moderating team. Woe be the moderator that logs on to do their voluntary job an hour and a half too early...

The following are all without argument:
    Moderating is not easy. Please, never think that it is. It can get frustrating and tiresome when you have to deal with problem members, it can get so horribly ridiculous that you want to pull your hair out. It is not easy on a normal forum, nevermind one like this.

...it is not hard. Proper, experienced staff can work together to keep their forums happy, engage with the members on their level in threads that don't require moderation, and can moderate and enforce rules when they need to. It's not easy, but it's not rocket science and it's not hard.

I'm not trolling or trying to take issue. Just saying... Fair is fair.
  • LesBionic - Archosaur
    LesBionic - Archosaur Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I've always been known as a harsh forum poster around here, and that has nothing to do with my position on other forums. That's just how I am. If you don't like it?

I have to apologize, that I have no intention of causing any personal attacks on my post. I only post as a simple neutral forum reader who ask my questions, and again sorry if none of my questions is related to the topic.

You are a professional head administrator of two forums, so I will not doubt you. You are who you are, and nobody can change your attitude. I can only offer a simple advice: Removing that very negative vibes that you have been portraying, that does not really link with a head admin. Like as you had said, you know that readers have been calling for your ban. So you treat as every post you make will likely to cause you to be banned. Just try to erase that thought, post like what a real professional head admin will do, plus being positive (not by talking about pretty rainbows and how beautiful flowers are, but be mature and judgemental), rather than like some posters here who looks like they are picking a fight. So, it indirectly reflect to the mods here on how other forums' mods portray in this forum. Eventually it will reflect yourself better, and put more credibility as a head admin.

Sorry to bring up Reds again, but she is one and only prominent poster that I feel who actually have a positive aura around her, in how she starts her threads and replies to post. Being such an active person, I have rarely, even not, seen her trashs the game and attack what-so-ever. Rather, she is being polite but firm in her post. Maybe that is why I can only think of her as an example, even she had left.

What you can do is removing that rebellion heroes signature as a start. I am sure a proclaimed professional mod does not goes to other forums and join in such immature signature **** (the other recent one I know of is the packs sig). I apologize ahead if none of these advices got to do with the topic.
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    Lenn_ - Sanctuary Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    time for some constructive criticism!
    There are problems with our staff team. This much has been recognised by a number of people. Too inexperienced on these particular forums and whatever else may have you. I'm going to address these and explain what I feel a staff member should have.
    intro they teach you in american english, never ever put your thesis in a layman's explaination with i. example: 'there are flaws in our national government, and in the following points i will explain why.' which can be better worded as such. 'there are a number of flaws in our national government which need to be adressed.' first person is always a nono in theses.:v
    Before people wish to judge me unqualified, I will state here that I am head administrator of two forums (meaning I run the boards and am in charge of the complete staff team. It's effectively like the CM here in it's own way.) and moderate another three. I have experience with being a staff member on boards, and the principles of staff do not change from forum to forum. Moderators lock and move and sticky wherever you go. Admins lock, move, sticky and take your complaints.
    try to avoid these when providing an argument, these falls under the logical fallacy of exaggerated credentials. logic follows, "i have (insert credential: phd, experience, doctorate, etc) therefore i have the experience to make informed decisions." as well put together as any argument can be, these are no-nos. im just saying.

now to cut into the meat of the argument:
    My golden rule of staff, which has never failed me nor my staff team:

If you cannot participate on the forums as a normal forum member, and if you cannot see a situation from a member's view point, you cannot be good staff.
    this, in my opinion, can have positive and negative repricussions. as we have seen before, some people can end up becoming favorites with that administrator and end up recieving information firsthand before they are supposed to. of course this can lead to a well maintained fan site; it's also a no-no in a large number of gaming corporations contractual obligations. revealing any kind of information to players before an official statement has always been a big company no go policy.

though, on a positive light, this can also lead to a connection with players. connection can aways lead to trust and respect, thus more of a chance they will follow the rules in a peaceful manner. dual edge sword that works both ways.
    This has never led me astray in my many, many years of administrating and moderating forums. If you cannot participate on a forum like a normal, average member and if you cannot have fun doing so, you will never have fun being staff. And if you cannot have fun being staff, you are likely to get frustrated, angry, and do a poor job.

Similarly, if you have a staff member who becomes arrogant and cocky, they are likely to both abuse their power, and again they will not have fun when people start to dislike their attitude.
    not quite sure if this is a universal truth, in the first paragraph. some people may love their job, in many different ways. although one can be a part of the crowd, there is always going to be a bad apple to make your job difficult and not fun.

in general, one cannot have fun if they are disconnected as well. just stating my view on the matter.

second statement: arrogant and cocky are subjective; whereas power abuse is evident. i had always believed hawk and andracil to be both, yet they did their jobs without power going to their heads.
    Grim: Known for a 'cyber' thread, and a well known spammer in off topic discussion. Has he had fun as a member? Yes he has. Has he stayed within the rules? No, but few members have perfect records. Has he been helpful to the forum community? ... well no, he's been an off topic spammer. Does he really fit the criteria for a moderator?

Not particularly, but with some work he could have made a good moderator. I do not believe, from what I have seen so far, that he's an experienced moderator for these forums. Not yet. Maybe if he was trained in how these forums, not just Off Topic, actually work, he would have made a very good moderator. His signature that he had here for a brief timed showed a worrying sign of arrogance, but this signature was later taken down after complaints. I do believe he could have made something of himself if he had more experience.
    no comment, how the hell did this guy even get noticed to even be a moderator. no one's seen this guy outside the picture thread spam, let alone hes not even over 65. how can he have a single clue about what's what in all the pw changes if he hasnt experienced a single one.
    Shelly: A forum lurker. Does this mean she has experience? No it does not. You could lurk on a forum forever, but watching does not constitute experience. In forums like these you have to post and interact with people to get a feel for how this forum works. It's like swimming.

You can watch somebody swim, and you can think "Oh hey, I get it! I have some experience!"
    Then you go into the water yourself, and you flail your arms around trying to repeat what you've seen, but it really isn't as easy as you thought it would.
    Forums are the same. Every forum has a 'flow' and that flow will change depending on who posts there. Do you get experience if you lurk? Not the kind you need to moderate. Should Shelly have been a moderator? In my honest opinion, no, she should not. She was even less suited for this job then Grim was.
    from some forum posters have stated, she was a mini mod, and a bit of a busy bee on the FW forums. apparently she wanted to be helpful, we should give her a few more weeks to get integrated into the community. she may be inexperienced now, but shes also the only one of the (former 3, now 2) that seems to bother trying during this imbecilic mess. think, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, maaaaybbbeeeee it can start to be a duck in a few weeks.
    Shelly also has a worryingly arrogant attitude. While everybody claims her first post was arrogant, I think this was overreacting, but later posts made by her have been exceptionally arrogant and very unfounded.
    claims was the keyword in this statement, its rather prejudice. prejudition has always lead to inexplicable hate for little to no reason at all... which some people seem to have been into lately.
    Really now? We all knew that. But you should have also been prepared to be moderating forums you were put in charge of on weekends. It's voluntary, yes, but it's part of the job. Moderating forums isn't a weekday job where you get the weekends off. It's a job where you need to check online, every day, even if only for an hour, to make sure things are in running order.

And yes, folks. An hour. That's all it takes if you have a large enough moderating team that can work together and have fun with the member base at the same time.
    this statement, i believe really had no place here at all. they have lives too, no one -said- they had to be on each and every hour of each and everyday. that really isnt our place to judge how much time they put in on the weekends, if you haven't noticed 'no gms work on the weekends either.'
    But it is not hard. Proper, experienced staff can work together to keep their forums happy, engage with the members on their level in threads that don't require moderation, and can moderate and enforce rules when they need to. It's not easy, but it's not rocket science and it's not hard.
    i do believe the moderating position can be difficult, especially without regular staff here. seeing as we lack that, its difficult to train, and keep willing, and helpful mods around.

and there you go, a nice simple look into the other side of your views. good ideas, good set up, just a simple view into the other side is all.
  • gross1255
    gross1255 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I think everyone who hasn't already read this should read, our very own hamster's thoughts on the situation
  • KuiXing - Harshlands
    KuiXing - Harshlands Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    b:cute Airyll you are now my hero
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the best mom ever, she brought me drugs and fruit juice - Reavღ
    Challenge accepted I'm going to go blow up the sun - FanFon
    Those crabs are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going... - Wildsblade
  • Fallghost - Raging Tide
    Fallghost - Raging Tide Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    b:cute Airyll you are now my hero

Only your hero?

Now on topic:

That's some nice things you said,Airyll,even tho I readed only half of your post.b:laugh

and sorry for my english.
    I am a guy from Romania!

This kind of players are not very common,aren't they?b:chuckle
  • KuiXing - Harshlands
    KuiXing - Harshlands Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Only your hero?

b:question the forums hero?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the best mom ever, she brought me drugs and fruit juice - Reavღ
    Challenge accepted I'm going to go blow up the sun - FanFon
    Those crabs are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going... - Wildsblade
  • Fallghost - Raging Tide
    Fallghost - Raging Tide Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    b:question the forums hero?

Not really,there are haters ya know.

But haters gonna hate and be jelous......always.
    I am a guy from Romania!

This kind of players are not very common,aren't they?b:chuckle
  • Ballistixz - Heavens Tear
    Ballistixz - Heavens Tear Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    personally i think a mod should moderate their own section of the forum instead of 2 global mods moderating the entire forums. for example, grim is known to be on off topic alot so he obviously have experience there. so he should be allowed to ONLY mod OT. then you put a mod in charge of general, a mod in charge of their own class section (a experience one of course and one that knows alot about the class), etc etc.

thats just my 2 cents, and i doubt anyone would complain of grim was only in charge of moderating OT since that seems to be his specialty. each mod would only have to worry about their section of the forums that suits their specialty, and since there is a mod in each section the entire forums would be covered.

having only 2 mods try to moderate every single section of the forums is just to much...
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    time for some constructive criticism!

intro they teach you in american english, never ever put your thesis in a layman's explaination with i. example: 'there are flaws in our national government, and in the following points i will explain why.' which can be better worded as such. 'there are a number of flaws in our national government which need to be adressed.' first person is always a nono in theses.:v

Your problem is assuming I am American. I come from England, and as such, while I may not make perfect arguments and may mention things you deem unnecessary, I try and formulate constructive posts, like my first one, based on my experience in my years in a debating team throughout all my years at school.

As of yet, it has not failed me before.

try to avoid these when providing an argument, these falls under the logical fallacy of exaggerated credentials. logic follows, "i have (insert credential: phd, experience, doctorate, etc) therefore i have the experience to make informed decisions." as well put together as any argument can be, these are no-nos. im just saying.

See above. Again, I appreciate the helpful feedback, I merely argue and state points in the ways I have always done so in the past. And aside from that, while I agree stating credentials may seem like trying to exaggerate, on these forums right now anything anybody has to say tends to get ignored if they don't show they have any kind of experience.

After all... how many people do you see calling names to the low levels when the low level tries to make a coherent post? In fact, I've done it myself.

We are a society that judges on the numbers and avatars we see. Giving the judgemental nature of this forum, I would have suffered just as much to not mention my past experience as staff as much as you point out I may suffer for stating it. I would have 'lost' this battle either way, if you will.
    now to cut into the meat of the argument:

this, in my opinion, can have positive and negative repricussions. as we have seen before, some people can end up becoming favorites with that administrator and end up recieving information firsthand before they are supposed to. of course this can lead to a well maintained fan site; it's also a no-no in a large number of gaming corporations contractual obligations. revealing any kind of information to players before an official statement has always been a big company no go policy.

though, on a positive light, this can also lead to a connection with players. connection can aways lead to trust and respect, thus more of a chance they will follow the rules in a peaceful manner. dual edge sword that works both ways.

I think you perhaps take that statement too literally, though I could be wrong.

Influence and favouritism will generally appear everywhere. For example, all the people calling for RedsRose to be a moderator were heavily influenced by the way in which she posted, and if she had become mod it would be very easy for others to say "favouritism" would it not?

I more so meant that a moderator needs to be able to act as a member in their own way. This doesn't mean posting on every possible thread to make a show of themselves, or trying too hard to blend in, but merely to... well, post every now and then. While it can seem very unprofessional, it also helps to make a moderator less threatening. I see it from this point of view:

Pretend I am a moderator, and that I am as harsh and sarcastic and as nasty as people have seen me to be on these forums. It can be quite a threatening image, when it comes from a moderator. If somebody had an issue, do you think they would PM me, the big threatening moderator who appears liable to snap at them, or the other moderator Bob who can enforce the rules and be firm when he needs to be, but can also be quite placid and is a small but friendly member of the community outside of his moderation duties?

The answer is Bob. A moderator that can be part of the community will seem less threatening and more approachable, and right now we need approachable staff. Staff who can have discussions outside of PM, unlike Shelly. This is one of my main concerns with Shelly as a moderator; she has explicitly told people that she will answer any question in PM, but... only in PM. It's not threatening, but it doesn't seem all that friendly either. If somebody wants to ask her what her favourite class is, why should they have to PM her for a friendly discussion?

Admittedly I can understand why Shelly does this right now, because the forums are all on edge. But maybe if she stopped demanding people PM her for a simple, pleasant discussion, it would loosen up a bit. She treats us like we will kill her if she steps on these forums, and right now many people well. A cool and level headed moderator would be able to take this in their stride to the best of their ability, ignoring the flames and locking and moving topics while taking part in a pleasant topic if it's addressed to them. If you see what I am saying.

You are right. It's a double edged sword. But favouritism can happen regardless. Friendly mods cannot if they refuse to participate.

not quite sure if this is a universal truth, in the first paragraph. some people may love their job, in many different ways. although one can be a part of the crowd, there is always going to be a bad apple to make your job difficult and not fun.

I never denied somebody would make your job hard, I'd have been foolish to do so. That's a fact, and it's something you need to expect if you sign up for a moderator position.
    second statement: arrogant and cocky are subjective; whereas power abuse is evident. i had always believed hawk and andracil to be both, yet they did their jobs without power going to their heads.

I suppose this is, as you said, subjective. I personally have found that cocky and arrogant staff are the more likely kind to abuse their power, particularly when a situation turns bad. On a similar note, I never found Hawk to be cocky or arrogant. Andracil I did not have the pleasure of speaking to, that was a bit before my time posting.

no comment, how the hell did this guy even get noticed to even be a moderator. no one's seen this guy outside the picture thread spam, let alone hes not even over 65. how can he have a single clue about what's what in all the pw changes if he hasnt experienced a single one.

Grim got mod because he PM'd a certain CM and asked for it.

True story, not a word of a lie.

from some forum posters have stated, she was a mini mod, and a bit of a busy bee on the FW forums. apparently she wanted to be helpful, we should give her a few more weeks to get integrated into the community. she may be inexperienced now, but shes also the only one of the (former 3, now 2) that seems to bother trying during this imbecilic mess. think, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, maaaaybbbeeeee it can start to be a duck in a few weeks.

Perhaps so, perhaps so. But as the situation stands right now, it would seem a better option for Shelly to step down and let more experienced moderators take over. Face it, this forum is in no state for an inexperienced mod to use it as their personal training grounds.

this statement, i believe really had no place here at all. they have lives too, no one -said- they had to be on each and every hour of each and everyday. that really isnt our place to judge how much time they put in on the weekends, if you haven't noticed 'no gms work on the weekends either.'

Untrue.

If you volunteer as a moderator you need to be prepared to sign in once every day. With a large enough team, you only need to be signed in for an hour, an hour and a half on a forum like this. This is counting on their being a large enough team of moderators for this forum with the ability to, in general, keep the peace. No moderator needs to be on all the time and I never said they had to be.

One and a half hours each day is most certainly not all the time.

Frankie has a paid job. This means he can take Saturday and Sunday off and nobody will fault him for it, because his job is five days a week. If he signs online at the weekends, it is his decision to do so.

A moderator is not paid. They volunteered to help at these forums. People are on these forums every day of every week. This means moderators, whose care lies with forums and forums only, need to be prepared to log in at least once every day for a period of time to make sure things are in working order. You cannot compare the job of a GM, who is paid to not just oversee a forum but is paid for other work as well, to the unpaid job of somebody who volunteered to help.

My grandfather had an appropriate saying:
    "If you are going to do a job, you might as well do it properly, otherwise you might as well not do it at all."

I thank you for the constructive response, as brought up a lot of good points and it gives everybody something to think about. It was a pleasure to read and respond to, disregarding how horribly long this post now is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Face it, this forum is in no state for an inexperienced mod to use it as their personal training grounds.

Absolutely agreed, at least as in assigning them full moderator status without several really active moderators online to help tutor them.

If you volunteer as a moderator you need to be prepared to sign in once every day. With a large enough team, you only need to be signed in for an hour, an hour and a half on a forum like this. This is counting on their being a large enough team of moderators for this forum with the ability to, in general, keep the peace. No moderator needs to be on all the time and I never said they had to be.

One and a half hours each day is most certainly not all the time.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. On a forum this large and with this much traffic, a moderator should be expected to sign in at least twice a day for an hour or less of actual work. Once after getting off work and either once before going to bed or before leaving to work in the morning, with moderators from different time zones or different schedules preferred so that they visit the forums at different times. A properly maintained forum really needs little moderation.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    ill leave a proper response when im feeling upto it.

the whole first prose quotes were just reference to MLA formatting that tends to be predominate in american colleges in how essays are ran. so used to it, its force of habit.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. On a forum this large and with this much traffic, a moderator should be expected to sign in at least twice a day for an hour or less of actual work. Once after getting off work and either once before going to bed or before leaving to work in the morning, with moderators from different time zones or different schedules preferred so that they visit the forums at different times. A properly maintained forum really needs little moderation.

Hm... I could be underestimating the size of this forum I suppose. But the main point is that once a day isn't unreasonable, nor twice a day I suppose, and my main issue was Shelly's practical complaint that she has to moderate on a weekend.

Well... yes, you do. If you volunteer as a moderator, and work as a free one, you need to understand that once, twice a day is like a job requirement if you will. You still get the weekends off, nobody was saying (and I certainly wasn't trying to imply) that forums demanded 24 hour care even on weekend. The basic point was if you volunteer, you have to be prepared to work the hours.

It's almost disgusting to see Shelly almost trying to guilt people into being nicer because it's a weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • haybails
    haybails Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Airyll, you're taking it very literally as meaning 'not at all at the weekend'. A bit too literally, I would suggest.
  • trollfacee
    trollfacee Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    hey guys, shelly locked this thread pretty quick

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=882672

and promptly deleted my slander about her in less then 30 seconds.

do i need to post **** for my post to get 106 pages to?b:cry
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    haybails wrote: »
    Airyll, you're taking it very literally as meaning 'not at all at the weekend'. A bit too literally, I would suggest.

Not particularly. I've seen a PM somebody gave me where Shelly basically complained she had to do some moderation on the weekend and she posted in a thread somewhere claiming how it was "her weekend too" as if people should be behaving perfectly just because it's her weekend.
    trollfacee wrote: »
    hey guys, shelly locked this thread pretty quick

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=882672

and promptly deleted my slander about her in less then 30 seconds.

do i need to post **** for my post to get 106 pages to?b:cry

Hey guy, I don't care

Deleting slander about her is her choice to do so and I don't see why you bothered to spent 30 seconds complaining here, aside from trying to get this thread locked maybe.

You do need to grow a brain, I would suggest, if you want a thread to survive, and you could start by stopping with the slander of moderators if you want a thread to live. Now GTFO you little troll, and find a different thread to whine in, k? <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    So..are those people in your sig perma banned or what?
  • trollfacee
    edited October 2010
    So..are those people in your sig perma banned or what?

i certainly hope so. God forbid if they were temp banned. cuz if they were temp banned they would no longer be "heroes" once the ban lifted b:shutup
  • Dashiko - Sanctuary
    Dashiko - Sanctuary Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    i certainly hope so. God forbid if they were temp banned. cuz if they were temp banned they would no longer be "heroes" once the ban lifted b:shutup

I think...I love you <3

No i'm j/k. But Seriously let them be perma-banned.
  • chaoticrampage
    chaoticrampage Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I'm more than sure Airyll didn't make this thread to discuss bans. If you aren't going to at least try to stay on topic then you should post somewhere else.
  • setantasrose
    setantasrose Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010

Many of those people asked for banning...some of them didn't. -.-

>.> Back on topic before I break this guy's nose--
    b:chuckle Once again, another well written topic Airy. Kudos.

<.< But everybody knows they probably won't listen. As far as it goes, I only bother giving my opinions to Sango anymore. These other folks I a: Don't know and b: Hardly give a damn about.

Like I've said....why where these people chosen over people like Rose and Hypnos? You tell me. What were the criteria? Your guess is as good as mine. What will these mods do? Cross your fingers, and hope they don't **** up.
    I hate to be a pessimist, but we're not had much sugar and rainbows with forum mods as of late.
    Boom-shakalaka!
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    But seriously let's stay on topic.

If you have nothing good to say here, don't say anything at all, and go spam somewhere else kthnx.

-edit-

And thanks for the post, setentasrose. I agree, I don't think that this will be listened to, but it's worth a shot. Besides, so many people say we complain and never offer a solution. Welps, here's a solution. It's not the best, but at this point there is no "best" solution that could be used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trollfacee
    edited October 2010
    I'm more than sure Airyll didn't make this thread to discuss bans. If you aren't going to at least try to stay on topic then you should post somewhere else.

why are u not banned ?!?!?
  • setantasrose
    setantasrose Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to resist the urge to break your nose.
    b:thanks Run along now little Troll. This is on-topic, adult conversation.
    Boom-shakalaka!
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    why are u not banned ?!?!?
    he was banned, he = zanryu.
This discussion has been closed.