Crazy Dmge

Options

Comments

• fulgida
    fulgida Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Base magic attack > weapon modifier from spells endgame. Plays a larger factor. That is why slow spells suck in DPS, because their base magic attack is the same, yet they take longer to deal that "base magic attack" damage.

-channeling helps a lot because you tend to cast more spells in a certain period (not just pyro/gush have base magic attack, a lot of other fast spells like phoenix (which is sadly not spammable) as well).

EDIT: Let me clarify a bit. Talking only about weapon damage (ignoring constant damage). Without taking the base magic attack into account, sandstorm would do 3 times as much damage as gush, which is total nonsense.

Instead, as far as weapon damage is concerned (and with above scenario with 500 mag), it's a 900% weapon damage vs 700% weapon damage, hardly that much of a difference, only 28% more weapon damage...

Oh, yes! I have always paid attention to this issue, but I know some mages ignore it.

If you are a wizard with DPS problems, you might not be using the right spells.

Personally, I will use pitfall and crown of flame in my gush/pyro rotation so that I can keep my macro going without resorting to a slow spell. They have lower dps than gush or pyro but they have higher dps than most of my other spells. (Will of the Phoenix is nice, also, but it has a horridly long cooldown so I have to be careful with it when I use a macro on a boss.)

My dps on a boss is not anything like a 5aps character's but it's not entirely insignificant either... (I average about 200k damage per minute on a boss, and that will improve if I get a lunar weapon.)
  • DDEShare - Raging Tide
    DDEShare - Raging Tide Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    We are talking DD on bosses, I keep a rank 4 top and -6 channel belt/neck in my inventory for pve when I don't need the extra hp/pdef from my regular gear. I think the extra damage is a bit more than a few hundred per second, but it honestly doesn't matter because wizards are and probably always will be terrible dps wise. I knew sutra wasn't quite 100%, but I'm curious where you got the 90% from. I figured there was a cap, but never heard what it was.

I figured it was 90% because Sutra Town Portal takes a second to cast, lol.
    "There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face."

Proud member of Playboy b:victory
  • Zaelmith - Sanctuary
    Zaelmith - Sanctuary Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    /facepalm

Even though the conclusion is correct that more -channeling (obviously) grants more DPS.

Why do people always ignore base magic attack which is the highest weapon modifier in every spell you cast. Simply, it's a 100% weapon damage plus as much weapon damage as magic stat you have. Example, for 500 magic, you would have 500% weapon damage plus 100% for a total of 600% for base magic attack.

Oh right that totally slipped off my mind my bad b:surrender
    Well result may be the same, just to make it right though..
    with -24 channeling:

pyrogram: 1.14 channel; 0.8 cast; 100% + 1379.6 damage + bma; dps: 51.5% + 711.1 + bma/1.94
    gush: 0.76 channel; 1.0 cast; 100% + 1372.6 damage + bma; dps: 56.8% + 779.5 + bma/1.76

for spaming gush pyro dps would be: 54.15% + 745.3 + 0.54*bma

with -50 channeling:

pyrogram: 0.75 channel; 0.8 cast; 100% + 1379.6 damage + bma; dps: 64.5% + 890 + bma/1.55
    gush: 0.5 channel; 1.0 cast; 100% + 1372.6 damage + bma; dps: 66.6% + 915 + bma/1.5
    sandstorm:1.25 channel; 1.5 cast; 300% + 4288.4 damage + bma; dps: 109% + 1559.4 + bma/1.75
    dpyro: 1.5 channel; 1.0 cast; 300% + 2994.7 damage + bma; dps: 120% + 1197.8 + bma/2.5

for spaming above skill consecutively dps would be: 90% + 1140.5 + 0.57*bma

Hope i made the math right just woke up and still a little sleepy.
    This means channeling Really has a great effect, if it makes the dps of base magic attack of slow spells about the same as the dps of base magic attack of fast spells without too much channeling.
  • Brishi - Dreamweaver
    Brishi - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    How can psys do 500k dmg and wiz only 200k? Isnt wiz spells stronger than psys?
  • MrHanky - Harshlands
    MrHanky - Harshlands Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    let me help you out a little cause i have no idea what your numbers actually = in DPS(damage per second)
    ill use this guy as a base http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=9e44641c4e65b280

and ill use all sage skills in calcs

24% pyro gush

pyro 100%weapon damage+base magic damage+3620=1538+10180+3620=15338
    total channel and casting time is=1.94
    dps for this skill@-24% is 7906.18
    gush 100%weapon damage+base magic damage+3390=1538+10180+3390=15108
    total channel and casting time is=1.76
    dps for this skill@-24% is 8584.09
    combined damage is 30446 combined time is 3.7
    30446/3.7=8228.648dps@-24%

50%channel

pyro & gush same as before for damage=30446
    total cast and channel time=3.05
    total dps for this skill @-50% is 9982.29
    sandstorm=300% weapon damage+base magic damage+6560=4614+10180+6560=21345
    total cast and channel=3.75
    total dps for this skill@-50% is 5692
    DP=300% weapon damage+base magic damage+4903=4614+10180+4903=19697
    total cast and channel=2.5
    total dps for this skill@-50% is 7878.8
    total damage=30446+21345+19697=71488
    total cast and channel=9.3
    71488/9.3=7686.88 total dps ...lol what?

oh 50% channel dont give more dps using long cast skills didnt someone say that b4?
    thats math

funnny none of the long cast skillsat -50% out dps pyro at -24% doesnt look right but math is math.
    b:bye
  • Zaelmith - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    didn't follow exactly the whole post but
    sandstorm=300% weapon damage+base magic damage+6560=4614+10180+6560=21345
    total cast and channel=3.75

normal channeling and cast: 2.5+1.5
    @50%: 1.25+1.5=2.75 (not 3.75)

total cast and channel=8.3
    71488/8.3=8613 total dps

8613 > 8228.64 :)

(and that with 2 random skills)
    funnny none of the long cast skillsat -50% out dps pyro at -24% doesnt look right but math is math.

No one said the skill alone has higher dps. Idea was that u can't spam gush pyro at 50% but even if u add more skills to the combo u still have higher dps than gush pyro at 24%.
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Potamic/PerfectWorld/?action=view&current=2009-11-0821-26-20.jpg

Almost a year ago, so add in a jones blessing for +30 attack level, along with a rank 8 +10 and you'll have your 500k+.
  • Zaelmith - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    How can psys do 500k dmg and wiz only 200k? Isnt wiz spells stronger than psys?

psychics have higher dps than wizards..dunno where u have the numbers from though

EDIT:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Potamic/PerfectWorld/?action=view&current=2009-11-0821-26-20.jpg

Almost a year ago, so add in a jones blessing for +30 attack level, along with a rank 8 +10 and you'll have your 500k+.

That's what wizzies are about :D
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options

b:shocked
    *faints
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • MrHanky - Harshlands
    MrHanky - Harshlands Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    bad math makes me look stupid.

anyway -26% more chan =4.8% more dps

not worth it.
    b:bye
  • Zaelmith - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well like i said earlier SS and DP are just 2 random skills I used. I admit they aren't the best choice for DPS but that just proves it all the better. Here's where the creative part kicks in founding out what skills make the best DPS you have depending on how much channeling you have. It's fun in a way I guess..
  • fulgida
    fulgida Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    bad math makes me look stupid.

anyway -26% more chan =4.8% more dps

not worth it.

That was sandstorm with -50% channelling giving 4.8% more dps than pyrogram at -24% channelling.

But did you mean that the channelling was not worth it? Or that using sandstorm for dps was not worth it?

(In my opinion, sandstorm can be a nice opener and can sometimes be good for bypassing a person's charm, but even sage sandstorm utterly fail for dps purposes, unless you are fighting a water monster with good resistances and all your fast fire and earth skills are too hot to use ...and even there it is still a bit mediocre.)
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    psychics have higher dps than wizards..
    Only slightly due to black voodoo for the most part. Most of the basic DPS spells have same weapon modifiers and of course, same basic magic attack (assuming equal people/gears obviously lol).
  • Brishi - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Options
    From this thread http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=840942

First pic, its a psys that do over 500k to a boss.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That wasn't a boss it was a mob... and it depends on his weapon he used Crystal Light on the mob (notice cooldowns) which has a 300% weapon modifier just like sandstorm.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That wasn't a boss it was a mob... and it depends on his weapon he used Crystal Light on the mob (notice cooldowns) which has a 300% weapon modifier just like sandstorm.

also that psychic has full 8jun gear and his weapon is +12. Most of the wizards posting here dont have +12 8jun

EDIT: actually all the wizards here dont have a +12 8jun
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Prohibited - Heavens Tear
    Prohibited - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    also that psychic has full 8jun gear and his weapon is +12. Most of the wizards posting here dont have +12 8jun

EDIT: actually all the wizards here dont have a +12 8jun

If you're talking about Exegesis I believe his weapon was only +10 w/ sapph gems at the time, right now it's +11 with Icebournes, so...
    [SIGPIC]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4183/sgtdrunkramble.png[/SIGPIC]
    DUTY_CALLS - Heavens Tear: "I QUIT THE FORM'S FROM NOW U ALL JUST FORM TROLL'S AND TALK **** ALL TIME MEET ME IN PvP U GOT SOMTHING TO SAYb:shocked"
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    highest pve was like 350kish on a boss in delta
    and i know a barb who did like 320k... lolwiz
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kenlee wrote: »
    and i know a barb who did like 320k... lolwiz

End game pure vit armagaddon has the highest dmg potential in the game
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    End game pure vit armagaddon has the highest dmg potential in the game

too bad its physical and must be in melee range to use it :P I'd still take my sage BIDS over perdition any day.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Not to mention it takes half of barb's HP or ticks their charm... important to consider if it's not 1v1. b:chuckle
  • Brishi - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Options
    My psys is lvl 61 now and do about 8-10k dmg with glacial shards. Its about same dmg that my wiz did at that lvl.

But my wiz can take more hits, psys die much :/
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Options
    My psys is lvl 61 now and do about 8-10k dmg with glacial shards. Its about same dmg that my wiz did at that lvl.

But my wiz can take more hits, psys die much :/

if your psy does the same damage as your wiz you are doing something VERY WRONG.

the only skills you can compare

aqua impact - gush
    spirit blast - pyrogram
    glacial shards/sandburst blast - stone rain ish

other than that
    a sandstorm on par (level wise) with a glacial shard will definitely out-damage it.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options
    if your psy does the same damage as your wiz you are doing something VERY WRONG.

the only skills you can compare

aqua impact - gush
    spirit blast - pyrogram
    glacial shards/sandburst blast - stone rain ish

other than that
    a sandstorm on par (level wise) with a glacial shard will definitely out-damage it.
    Well don't exactly discredit her or imply she is lying. Psychics have black voodoo. Of course, it makes them squishier (and compared to wizards, they don't even have the shields), but I was talking damage-wise.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well don't exactly discredit her or imply she is lying. Psychics have black voodoo. Of course, it makes them squishier (and compared to wizards, they don't even have the shields), but I was talking damage-wise.

black voodoo doesnt make up for 100% weapon damage difference + more base damage.
    edited September 2010
    Options
    too bad its physical and must be in melee range to use it :P I'd still take my sage BIDS over perdition any day.

That's why I said dmg potential b:thanks
    It's not practical, but under the right events it does the best dmg of all skils in game
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options
    black voodoo doesnt make up for 100% weapon damage difference + more base damage.
    Why more base damage?

As for covering 100% weapon damage, it depends on your base damage. Black Voodoo adds roughly 20% more damage. With 400 mag, that covers 100% weapon damage already from base magic attack alone. (not to mention the weapon damage modifier on skill & constant damage).

400 mag = 500% weapon dmg for base magic attack

500% * 1.2 = 600%
    That's why I said dmg potential b:thanks
    It's not practical, but under the right events it does the best dmg of all skils in game
    I object to this. If we go unpractical way, I think a triple sparked wiz with blade tempest against a target with 0 defense on both, and +12 warsoul weapon, full attack sharded also, can outdamage arma. (remember you can't shard attack on arma, cause you need to shard vit stones for epic damage).
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options

I object to this. If we go unpractical way, I think a triple sparked wiz with blade tempest against a target with 0 defense on both, and +12 warsoul weapon, full attack sharded also, can outdamage arma. (remember you can't shard attack on arma, cause you need to shard vit stones for epic damage).

Armageddon can zerk+crit, which is one of the reasons why it's generally thought as the skill with most damage potential. You'll be hard pressed to perform a BT that measures up to quadruple damage.

edit: on a second thought, given that there's rank 9, and fiddling on pwcalc gives me a wiz with 95 attack levels, things might be different now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options
    But you can't spark with arma. Or well you can, but has no point.
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I did some calculations. Don't know how credible they are, but they came out pretty close.

Warsoul with 95 attack levels wiz triple sparked bids against a rank 9 45~ attack levels zerk-crit armageddon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.