Commonly used abbreviations

Comments

• Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Just wanted to say that this thread has helped me a lot, to understand what people mean when they shout a random combination of letters in world chat. I just wish that I'd seen it when I was level 50 on my first character and still didn't know what was "fb" and a "tab". Unfortunately I didn't know that forums existed at all until I was like level 70. But that was a year ago, now we have PW Wiki and other helpful stuff so I hope people won't mess up as badly as me and place half of their clerics attribute points in dexterity, for instance <.<

I myself use abbreviations very rarely, and to be honest, I completely hate people who use them for every little thing they can find. Is it really that hard to write out the whole word? The most annoying is when people use abbreviations when they talk about skills, and not everyone knows what they mean. Once I was in a bounty hunter squad and barb yelled like 3 times "brmbl!!!", I didn't get what he meant at all, until someone said that he might want me to bramble him. It must have been too difficult for him to write 2 more letters. Then he started screaming "stack IH nao, then pfy", which was supposed to mean "cleric, please use the skill called Iron Heart on me continuously, later on use Purify". Of course, the cleric didn't understand that, so we all died. Or another time, when someone said "WTS GBA", I thought they were talking about Game Boy Advance -.-'

One thing I still don't understand is SoT. What does it mean? Well I've heard people say "omg use SoT, moron!" or "LFM for SoT", so does it mean 2 things or...?

Pardon me if I sound snobbish or noobish, maybe I'm old-fashioned (don't confuse old-fashioned with old, I'm much younger than most people who play this game) but I just like to write out long words instead of changing them into some confusing jibberish. And finally, thank-yous to everyone who have taken the time to make things easier to understand by making this thread :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    One thing I still don't understand is SoT. What does it mean? Well I've heard people say "omg use SoT, moron!" or "LFM for SoT", so does it mean 2 things or...?
    Well, I can't figure out what it would mean in the first usage, so if you find out, please let us know. There doesn't appear to be any class skill, genie skill, or pot I that could find that would be abbreviated "SoT".

For the latter example, "SoT" means "Seat of Torment", one of the two FB99 instances, the other being Abaddon. So, "LFM for SoT" would be, "Looking for more people to do a run in Seat of Torment." I added this definition of "SoT" to the Abbreviations and Terms page of the wiki.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • theshotgunfairy
    theshotgunfairy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Thanks. I'm new (im still installing as i post) and i wanted to get to know this stuff ahead of time.
  • Cyntar - Sanctuary
    Cyntar - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Just wanted to say that this thread has helped me a lot, to understand what people mean when they shout a random combination of letters in world chat. I just wish that I'd seen it when I was level 50 on my first character and still didn't know what was "fb" and a "tab". Unfortunately I didn't know that forums existed at all until I was like level 70. But that was a year ago, now we have PW Wiki and other helpful stuff so I hope people won't mess up as badly as me and place half of their clerics attribute points in dexterity, for instance <.<

I myself use abbreviations very rarely, and to be honest, I completely hate people who use them for every little thing they can find. Is it really that hard to write out the whole word? The most annoying is when people use abbreviations when they talk about skills, and not everyone knows what they mean. Once I was in a bounty hunter squad and barb yelled like 3 times "brmbl!!!", I didn't get what he meant at all, until someone said that he might want me to bramble him. It must have been too difficult for him to write 2 more letters. Then he started screaming "stack IH nao, then pfy", which was supposed to mean "cleric, please use the skill called Iron Heart on me continuously, later on use Purify". Of course, the cleric didn't understand that, so we all died. Or another time, when someone said "WTS GBA", I thought they were talking about Game Boy Advance -.-'

Pardon me if I sound snobbish or noobish, maybe I'm old-fashioned (don't confuse old-fashioned with old, I'm much younger than most people who play this game) but I just like to write out long words instead of changing them into some confusing jibberish. And finally, thank-yous to everyone who have taken the time to make things easier to understand by making this thread :)

I'm with you Fiery Demon! I can't stand abbreviations (especially acronyms... grrr!) either. Not everyone knows what they mean. Are people so lazy now they can't even spell out a word/phrase?
  • thedraklyn
    thedraklyn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    One abbreviation I didn't see is CD = Cool down. This is used often in other games.
    Not sure if any items or skills in PWI have a long cool down so it may not be relevant. :)
  • johnmattrick
    johnmattrick Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I'm personally frustrated when people use non-universal acronyms and abbreviations thinking they're pros. ?action=voteBut I have to say the topic does help. Now I know more than I did and probably can go talk to the guys in game now. Thanks.
  • meg405
    meg405 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    rply:
    fb29 bh means first battle (lvl) 29 boss hunt
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    meg405 wrote: »
    rply:
    fb29 bh means first battle (lvl) 29 boss hunt

I thought FB means Fu Ben? O.o

And I thought BH means Bounty Hunter? Usually BH29 and FB29 don't mean the same thing because in BHs you only need to kill the boss.

I could be wrong but I've never heard about what you said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sangodoc
    edited July 2010
    I thought FB means Fu Ben? O.o

And I thought BH means Bounty Hunter? Usually BH29 and FB29 don't mean the same thing because in BHs you only need to kill the boss.

I could be wrong but I've never heard about what you said.
    Don't worry, you have it right. :-)

I don't know where Meg got this "First Battle" and "Boss Hunt" stuff, but it's not correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • idekan
    idekan Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    so many pages to look through.....

just needing to know

what does the following stand for?

TT
    3-2
    3-1
    DD

thanks
  • arlitta
    arlitta Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    What is the meaning of
    bh
    fc

???
  • rechamsn
    rechamsn Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    idekan wrote: »
    so many pages to look through.....

just needing to know

what does the following stand for?

TT
    3-2
    3-1
    DD

thanks

DD means damage dealer

could ya add things like:

Patk/def = physical attack/defense
    Matk/def = magic attack/defense
    Ratk = range attack
    HH = ?
    BH = Boss hunt
    FC = ?
    3-1/2 = ?
    DD = damage dealer

becuz i see them everyday on world chat and i had no clue what it meant so i thought it would help
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    If this has been already posted, excuse me but it wasn't on the 1st 13 pages..
    LFS = Looking for squad

BH = Bounty Hunt: a daily, dungeon running quest. It is the main way of leveling up once a player reaches mid-level
    FC or FCC = Frost Covered (City): similar to TT (Twilight Temple), it is a dungeon for players 85+ to collect materials to make very powerful, end-game gear.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Yonei - Sanctuary
    Yonei - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    what does QQ and BR mean?

thanksb:thanks
  • sangodoc
    edited July 2010
    All of the above are listed in the "Abbreviations and Terms" entry in the PWI wiki, except for "BR", that one I don't know what it means.

Since "HH" wasn't answered above, from the wiki:
    HH - Either "Holy Hall", an old name for Twilight Temple, the level 60+ dungeon, or "Head Hunter", the NPC in the center of Archosaur that hands out the Bounty Hunter quests at level 40+.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lolbollen
    lolbollen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Note: Noob ain't a abbreviation. Noob is a official word in the English dictionary. LoL as well can be found in the English dictionary....(i think they where added to the English dictionary this year or last, there some kind of rule how many times an word must have been used writtten before becoming a official word)
  • saddevil
    saddevil Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    lolbollen wrote: »
    Note: Noob ain't a abbreviation. Noob is a official word in the English dictionary. LoL as well can be found in the English dictionary....(i think they where added to the English dictionary this year or last, there some kind of rule how many times an word must have been used writtten before becoming a official word)

HH is supposed to be Hell Hound a mount ride in this game.
  • Pattoe - Raging Tide
    Pattoe - Raging Tide Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    rechamsn wrote: »
    DD means damage dealer

could ya add things like:

Patk/def = physical attack/defense
    Matk/def = magic attack/defense
    Ratk = range attack
    HH = Holy Hall, An alternate term for Twilight Temple (TT)
    BH = Boss hunt Actually its bounty hunt, you get the quests from a guy called bounty hunter and the quests are bounty hunt quests
    FC = Frostcovered City, An instance which higher levels use to gain exp.
    3-1/2 = Zones in Twilight Temple, it has 1-1,1-2,1-3,2-1,2-2,2-3,3-1,3-2 and 3-3 (In order of difficulty)
    DD = damage dealer

becuz i see them everyday on world chat and i had no clue what it meant so i thought it would help

There you go.
  • azukaya
    azukaya Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    what is ADS?
  • Asmodiel - Heavens Tear
    Asmodiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,442 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    azukaya wrote: »
    what is ADS?

Ancient Devil's Soul = Gold TT90 Mat dropped from the last boss in a TT2-3 run
    "One of the most important factors, not only in military matters but in life as a whole, is ... the ability to direct one's whole energies towards the fulfillment of a particular task." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ladidel - Raging Tide
    Ladidel - Raging Tide Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    What is APS?
    what is QQs?
    what is OP?
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    APS = Attacks per second
    QQ = cry, emotion/smiley
    OP either means Overpowered by Opening post/poster
  • sangodoc
    edited August 2010
    Just a reminder, but please check the "Abbreviations and Terms" section of the PWI wiki for the abbreviation or term that you're looking for before posting your questions here. Most common abbreviations can be found there.

Thanks! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kokopuffz
    kokopuffz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    i am sooo lost-b:surrender
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    BKI= beast king's inspiration (barb max hp buff)
    xfer= Transfer (usually transfer items between chars)
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • princeweevie
    princeweevie Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    iknowmymom wrote: »
    AC - Armor Class or Defense.
    Add - An extra monster has joined an existing battle.
    Alt - A character on your account other than your main character.
    AoE - Area of Effect Damage. This is a spell that hurts a group of monsters in an area.
    AE - Area Effect
    AFK - Away from Keyboard. This means the player is away from his computer.
    Aggro - This means the monsters are mad at you and you've "activated" them to attack you. They are now in the motion of trying to reach and attack you.
    Aggro Radius - The radius around the monsters where they will "wake up" and attack you.
    AGI - Agility
    AH - Auction House
    BG - Battleground
    Buff - A beneficial spell cast on a monster or player. An example of a "buff" is the Priest's Physical PDef buff.
    Carebear - Player that prefers to help other players attack monsters rather than attack other players in player vs. player combat.
    Caster - A character that stays on the back row to heal or cast spells on the enemy, such as a Mage.
    Char - Your character.
    Cheese - To exploit an imbalance in the game.
    Creep - Monster
    Creep Jacking - A term from ******** 3 where players attack other players while they are already engaged in combat with neutral monsters.
    Critters - Monsters that don't attack back.
    DD - Direct Damage. This is a spell that does all of its damage in one hit rather than spreading its damage over time.
    DMG - Damage
    DOT - Damage over time
    DPS - Damage per second
    De-Buff - A negative spell cast on a unit that makes it less powerful. An example of a "de-buff" is the Werefox skill "Soul Degeneration".
    FB - Fuben (= Chinese for dungeon), the dungeon quests you have to do at higher level but which you receive at level 19, 29, ...
    FH - Full Health
    FM - Full Mana
    FTL - For The Loss, a sports or game term.
    FTW - For The Win, a sports or game term.
    Gank - Player vs. Player: To attack another player while they're trying to fight a monster. Or...when a party attacks a lonely player, usually to PK (Player Kill) him.
    Griefer - A person who purposely tries to annoy or anger other players.
    Grinding - Staying in the same area fighting the same types of monsters for a very long time.
    HP - Hit points or Health
    INT - Intelligence
    Kiting - A style of combat in which a player continually stays out of combat range of an enemy usually by running from it, while simultaneously causing damage to it.
    KS - Kill Steal. Try to steal another person's kill.
    LFG - Looking for a group.
    LFM - Looking for more.
    Log - When you log off; disconnect from the game.
    LOL - Lots of Laugh or Laughing Out Loud. This abbreviation indicates something is really funny. It's pretty cliche nowadays though.
    LOM - Low on Mana.
    LOOT - To take the treasure from a monster that has been killed or from a chest.
    Lurer - Person who lures monsters for the party.
    Luring - One of the players in a party heads out and leads one or more of the monsters back to the party so that the party can attack the monsters. The idea is to prevent too many monsters from attacking at once.
    LVL - Level
    Mats - (raw) materials used for the crafting skills
    MO - Massively Multiplayer Online.
    MMOG - Massively Multiplayer Online Game
    MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game
    MOB - MOB" is an old programming acronym of Mobile Object Block. Mobs are all computer controlled characters in the game. You should likely use some other term such as monster, creep, or bad guy.
    MT - Main Tank
    Named - A special monster that is usually stronger than surrounding monsters with possible special abilities and item drops.
    Nerf - To downgrade, to be made softer, or make less effective. "X has been nerfed."
    Newbie - A term that sometimes means new player. Newbie is also used to suggest that a player is not very good.
    Newb - Short for Newbie. See above.
    N00b - An incredibly uncool way to say newb. Don't use it.
    NPC - This is a non player-controlled character. The characters are controlled by the server or realm. A "computer" character.
    Nuke - high damage in one hit, usually magic attack
    OOM - Out of Mana. People say this to let their party know they are out of mana and can't cast any spells, especially healing.
    Pat - Patrolling monster
    PC - Player controlled character
    Pet - A NPC controlled by a player such as a Wolf.
    PK - Player Kill or Player Killer.
    POP - Contraction of "Repopulation", often used as a shortened term for the re-spawn of monsters.
    Proc - Activate. Example: A weapon with a special effect will "proc" every so often.
    PST - Please Send Tell. Indicates that the person speaking wants to receive communication via a /t(ell) or /w(hisper) command.
    Puller - Person who pulls monsters for the party.
    Pulling - One of the players in a party heads out and leads one or more of the monsters back to the party so that the party can attack the monsters. The idea is to prevent too many monsters from attacking at once.
    PvE - Player vs. Environment. Combat between players and computer controlled opponents.
    PvP - Player vs. Player. This means for one player to attack another player.
    Raid - A raid is a large-scale attack on an area by a group of players.
    Res - Short for resurrect
    Re-Spawn - A monster that has been killed has spawned (been created) again.
    Rest (state) - An indicator of how tired a character is.
    Rez - Resurrect
    RM - Raw Materials used for the crafting skills.
    S>..... B>.... which mean Sell and Buy. Usually find this in Personal Shop. Note: The dots stand for any item name.
    Small Pets - An animal following the player around. While this does not directly influence the player or monsters, it is cool to have around, especially the rare ones.
    Spawns - The location or process of monsters appearing when they are created in the world.
    Stack - A number of identical items placed in a single inventory slot, to conserve space. Only certain items can be stacked.
    STR - Strength
    Tank - A melee character that can take a lot of damage.
    Taunt - Related to Aggro. An ability that allows a player to pull the attention of a monster off of another player and onto him- or herself.
    Threat - Related to Aggro. This is what a character "gives off" to generate or draw monster aggro.
    Train - To lead monsters into another player. This is not a desired behavior.
    Twink - A low level character who has been made more powerful by higher level characters, usually by getting stronger armour and weapons than the character would normally have at such a low level.
    Uber - German slang for 'super', originally meaning 'over'; exceptionally powerful
    Vendor Trash - An item that only a vendor/merchant would buy
    WTB - Wanting to buy
    WTS - Wanting to sell
    XP or Exp - Experience Points

I take no credit for this, copied and paste which came from a poster by the name of Aran from the perfect world International Wiki.
    http://pw-forum.onlinewelten.com/yaf_postst4146_GUIDE--In-game-abbreviations.aspx

Posted by Ambie somwhere else on this forum....

Blademaster =BM
    Wizard=Wiz (hehe wiz..)
    Archer = Arch or arc
    Cleric= Clec or clc
    Venomancer= VM
    Barbarian= BB

I would like to know what FF and LF are ,I dont see them listed anyplace
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited September 2010

Dunno what FF means, but LF means "Looking For".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active
  • sangodoc
    edited September 2010
    Please don't fullquote huge posts unless you're commenting on all parts of it. b:surrender

Anyways, both of those are on the Abbreviations and Terms page in the PWI wiki that I mentioned above.

To quote from that page:

FC or FCC - May mean Frost(covered) City / Forgotten Frostland, a high level dungeon in the Northwest part of the map. FC may also mean Secret Frostcover(ed) Grounds.
    FF - Either Forgotten Frostland (see "FC" above) or Fox Form, the alternate form that venomancers can take once they get the skill.
    LF - Looking For....
    LFG - Looking For Group.
    LFM - Looking For More.
    LFP - Looking For Party.
    LFS - Looking For Squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deadlyexotic - Lost City
    Deadlyexotic - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Got to reading the first 21 pages or so but didnt find anything about what T_T means.

I think it could be some sort of emotion but not sure... any ideas?
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Got to reading the first 21 pages or so but didnt find anything about what T_T means.

I think it could be some sort of emotion but not sure... any ideas?

T_T = emotion for tears; crying, see also "QQ"