Whoo Jungle Ruins

Airyll - Dreamweaver
Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
(Let's try this again, shall we? Please note: these are not quest tips. Please don't move this thread back into that other thread, which was dumb to begin with. That thread was asking for help with Jungle Ruins. This one is just discussing my opinion. Not a tip, not a question, not a tutorial. OPINION OF SOMEBODY WHO DID THE EVENT.)

Not being sarcastic, either.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only person, but I did this event from the time it opened until one hour later and I loved it. I was dying all the time, my charm was constantly ticking, and I didn't care. For once, I have found an event where I can tick my charm into oblivion and have so much fun that I don't give a **** about it.

It's not an elaborate event, either. It's a simple: run or die, try not to die, and remember you might die if you run too fast event and it works. And I found it really, really fun. It was a challenge, and it stays a challenge even when you're trying to run through the same room for the hundredth time.

It becomes even more fun when you end up bypassing nearly everybody else and are left with either two other players or totally on your own to work out where to go. I couldn't actually get past a certain hallway simply because it seems like you need somebody to take aggro and die so that you can get past, yourself, and being all on my own... I suppose I died so the invisible man could pass.

Know what?

Thanks for implementing something that isn't **** and is actually really fun, for once.

Nerf this and I swear, I will find out where you live.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Airyll - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    For me, it was more frustrating than fun. The lag towards the beginning made the first couple rooms almost impossible to pass. If I managed to make it past the uber lag rooms, I would always die by a fire or ice trap that I was nowhere near.

It would be a much better event if there were multiple instances like CoA, to reduce the massive lag that gets caused by cramming half the server into a hallway barely wide enough for 4 people. The hitboxes of the traps and monsters also needs to be looked at. As it stands, fire traps will kill you even if you don't touch them, which makes a few rooms nearly impossible to navigate.

This event is certainly a step in the right direction, but currently has too many issues that make it more difficult than it was designed to be.
  • Nyaris - Harshlands
    Nyaris - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Best ever in game so far. Ijs. However i agree at the laggy part. Once event started lag was bigger than west archo but after a while many ppl gave up and it was fine. I guess it's a matter of your PC but this is game for everyone so something has to be done to lower the lag. I don't agree at making traps, fires and other stuff range visible for players. That would make it a bit easier and boring.
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    Azzazin - Dreamweaver Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Hell yeah! This was crazy fun.... and I found a way to do it cheap too, lol. Basically, bring a stack of really low level mana pots... 100s of them. Do NOT wear a charm, it will be *****! Then keep a cleric near the beginning to rebuff you (mana and hp regen basically).

Can say I got about 3/4 of the way through >.>;

Sins, with deaden nerves, have a big huge freakin major advantage here, lol. Those spots where somebody 'has to die' to get past? I 'died' lots of times, lol. Except I was on the other side not dead :D Not to say I didn't die lots of times for real, but you know what I mean :D

Will definitely be attending this EVERY week. So much fun.

Kudos to PW, this event rocks.

-Azzazin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Setting of the twilight moon; a late evening rendezvous from atop the
    city's lonely heights. With the dawn the city below springs into bustling
    activity, and I don my morning apparel. From on high, I watch the world.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    For me, it was more frustrating than fun. The lag towards the beginning made the first couple rooms almost impossible to pass. If I managed to make it past the uber lag rooms, I would always die by a fire or ice trap that I was nowhere near.

It would be a much better event if there were multiple instances like CoA, to reduce the massive lag that gets caused by cramming half the server into a hallway barely wide enough for 4 people. The hitboxes of the traps and monsters also needs to be looked at. As it stands, fire traps will kill you even if you don't touch them, which makes a few rooms nearly impossible to navigate.

This event is certainly a step in the right direction, but currently has too many issues that make it more difficult than it was designed to be.

I didn't actually lag that badly. At all. It was nothing like the GM event, for example, and nothing like the Nein event for me. I didn't lag to the point I'd stop walking and then magically teleport and it didn't give me any trouble navigating, either. The only times I died were when I aggro'd things I walked into in my rush to avoid other things, lag wasn't to blame at all.

So as far as lag is concerned... it wasn't an issue for me and didn't effect my event experience in the least.

In all honesty this is an event where you need that many people. There are so many monsters and traps in certain rooms that not having those people makes it impossible to pass. I stopped playing after an hour simply because I could not get past this one corridor even if I had somebody with me, we'd both just die and then have to start again. That's not to say it wasn't fun at all, but I simply have other things I need to do and no progress was really going to be made.

I did find a similar problem with the fire monsters, but then again I don't think you have to be directly in the fire to aggro them. Only within their aggression range. What doesn't make any sense to me is that these traps can't chase after you, so why I can Holy Path away from a small ball of fire and it hits me when I'm well out of it's range is a bit odd... but serves me right for walking too close to it in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • volst
    volst Posts: 180
    edited August 2010
    Oh hey, sin did get on top. Deaden nerves and focused mind stacks the odds in their favor.
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I found it to be a fustration as well as a challenge.

Fustration as I didn't know why I was failing to progress even out of the first room. I constantly died and died and died.

However, once I took time to study what was happening I figured there must have been other traps i'd been missing and sure enough, tab targeting revealed it.

The challenge part then arose in how do you go about beating it.

I'm sorry to say I didn't beat it but I am keen to read up and listen to those that did better than I with a view to doing better.

Managed to get as far as these 2 corridors with a big **** rolling ball.

Holy Path would probably be a nice asset to have (which I didn't) along with Distance Shrink (which I do).

I'd definitely try it again before I make up my mind but it's certainly interesting for sure.

...and funnily enough I kept seeing Airyll in the respawn room! b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Katzenstreu - Raging Tide
    Katzenstreu - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well, i spent the entire two hours in there... At the beginning it was fun, i made it pretty far too. Past a room called Magical Stairway and into this crazy thin hallway with those exploding bombs and tons of firebugs...its just annoying that I had no idea how close I was to the end.
  • Magiere - Dreamweaver
    Magiere - Dreamweaver Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That was amazingly fun, and it will be quite hard to achieve the new Belt, i got to last room after the poison room then running glitched so i floated slowly into a trap -_-
    --> but i love challenges :D

I disagree , sins dont have any advantage, i myself didnt see a single sin get to the last room.

- Its a fun event for everyone that doesnt give up until he finishes.

- For crybabies and ppl that give up fast its a bad event.

PS : fortify + ironguard powders works wonders
    Originally written by Satchiko to me regarding old spice commercial :
    Hello Perfect World. Look at your cleric, now back to me, now back to your cleric, now back to me. Sadly it isn't me. But if you stopped being a noob and started wearing sunglasses you could act like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on Dreamweaver with the cleric your cleric could be like. What's in your hand, back at me. It's an inventory filled with the gear you want. Look again, the gear is now diamonds. Anything is possible with sunglasses. I'm flying on starter wings.
  • Katzenstreu - Raging Tide
    Katzenstreu - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    What was the last room called Magiere?
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Magiere, thanks for the suggestion of don't die. b:laugh

Pity I didn't heed it though.... b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WenSon - Harshlands
    WenSon - Harshlands Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    WHERE THE HELL IS THE LAST ROOM ???

the map wasnt correct... that for sure
    why is there not a correct map ???
    i have no idea how close i was (how close to the end is mystical stairways ???)
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    Magiere, thanks for the suggestion of don't die. b:laugh

Pity I didn't heed it though.... b:sad

See, now I know where it all went wrong for me.

I died.

Multiple times.

-snaps fingers-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cupcake - Raging Tide
    Cupcake - Raging Tide Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I only got to the NPC that says "You're at halfway" after about 1 hr of trying, rofl.
    I'm curious about how the quests in there work... honestly, that confused me a lot. >< I got the Toxic Room quest (didn't complete b/c I was just trying to see how far I could get...), and I turned in one crest thing at the starter NPC... but he didn't give me any kind of reward. Had about 4-5 items I'd gained from in there, but no idea what to do with them. b:surrender Is there any kind of quest guide for it out there? :3

Also, I tried using the mini-map and the actual map to figure out where I was going, but the two didn't seem to match up at all. Maybe I was just having direction problems tonight, though. o.o

I agree w/ the charm ****.. but as OP said, I didn't really care. It was kind of funny, and as you slowly move on the crowd thins out until.. oh ****, it's just me alone in the 'jungle'. b:shocked XD

And glad it was staggered after DT and not the exact same time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:shocked
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    Azzazin - Dreamweaver Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well Magiere, they may have just made it long before you did... lol. They do have an advantage, the ability to avoid being one-hitted is amazing. Perhaps they didn't use the same pots you did... give me those pots & I'll pass too, garuanteed :D

Knowing what I know now about the first half of it, I can do it much quicker/fewer attempts. I simply ran out of time, but I must have been getting close, I was several rooms past the 1/2 way point.

-Azzazin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Setting of the twilight moon; a late evening rendezvous from atop the
    city's lonely heights. With the dawn the city below springs into bustling
    activity, and I don my morning apparel. From on high, I watch the world.
  • __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver
    __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Without a doubt the best event I've ever participated in. Period. 8D

It's an awesome feeling when you finally make it past a tough room, then die and do it again over and over. Until finally the ranks start to thin out, you're still there and it's like 'Hey I've actually got a shot at this! =D'. And then the timer runs down and you know you probably won't make it...at which point it becomes an endurance test. XDDDDDDD

Thank you to everyone that stuck around and made things crazy fun.

Thanks to all the Clerics that healed buffed us masochistic lunatics.

Grats to Magiere for getting the farthest on our server (I think) and to everyone who made it to the last rooms (Especially Weenie, my partner in crime, who stuck with me for the whole thing XD).

Props to everyone that endured for extended periods despite what may have or have not been hefty personal costs.

See y'all next week!!! b:victory
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    The irony of all this is that if you carried on playing for an hour or more you visibly saw that the players were learning and grouping together. Initially, from the respawn room into the dungeon itself it was a single green line.

As time went on the line would thin out. About one hour in, whenever I died and ended up back in the respawn room, the green line of people leaving was gone, instead replaced by bunches of green as players moved in groups from one room to the next. It was actually really awesome to watch player progression through the map, seeing when groups would thin out and noticing people waiting for more to come along and make a larger group of players again.

So yeah, thanks to all who stayed I suppose. After all, I can't name you, but some of you definitely took the hits for me. =D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Riney - Raging Tide
    Riney - Raging Tide Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I enjoyed it throughly, except I want the 600k I spent on frogs back.

Id say make everyone a frog for free and make a few changes, such as some of the fire placements that require a smooth latency to pass, and this would be one of the most enjoyable or the most enjoyed event ever.

tl;dr, tweak it a little.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    xRiney - League of Legends. TwilightSparkle / Rarity - Path of Exile closed beta. Dark_Marine - Firefall

Proud brony.
  • Daikataro - Dreamweaver
    Daikataro - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Can anyone tell me what was the reward? i gave up the 5th time i got killed by a fire trap that was 90 meters away from me but got rubber-banded right on top of it, since lag was only comparable to west archo with max settings on visuals

I'm more of a "bang for the buck" man, what am i getting for the time/effort i'm investing on this? so if someone could tell me what's the reward i would strongly appreciate that
    Originally Posted by frankieraye: To say that would be a lie, because in regards to the DQ problem, it's something that we're honestly still working on, and something that we believe we can fix.

(8)Don't stop! believing! hold onto that feeling!(8)
  • Roin - Harshlands
    Roin - Harshlands Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I loved this event but there are way 2 many people who ruin it for me it realy sucks when someone trys to rush has a mob following him runs back to us and gets us all killed all you need to do is give the mob 20 seconds and your fine =( and you can do this solo i made it allmost to the end might be because im a wizard thow and if i time it right can distance shrink past a mob and if anyone has finished this can you make a map or quest guide i had a hard time finding out where i need to go was fun trying thow
  • Riney - Raging Tide
    Riney - Raging Tide Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Well I noticed a 1m exp reward with about 1:30 left on the clock, and it slowly lowered to 400k.

Other than that, those necklaces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    xRiney - League of Legends. TwilightSparkle / Rarity - Path of Exile closed beta. Dark_Marine - Firefall

Proud brony.
  • ValFera - Heavens Tear
    ValFera - Heavens Tear Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2010

This event blows
    Leader - Hikari LVL3 PVE Faction {Heavens Tear}

Hikari is the Light.
    RESPECT is part of the Light so when you show others respect you show them the light.
    TRUTH is part of the Light, so if you find deception put light on it for all to see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darcwolf - Lost City
    Darcwolf - Lost City Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    This event is impossible, GMs just want people with charms to die over and over and buy new charms.
  • Roin - Harshlands
    Roin - Harshlands Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    This event is impossible, GMs just want people with charms to die over and over and buy new charms.

Its not that hard if i was alone or atleast had most of the noobs who got me killed out of the way i would have finished it you just need to take your time and find out where the mobs move and what the traps do most people just rush around with sprint and holypath and get evreyone killed b:surrender
  • Takumeme - Dreamweaver
    Takumeme - Dreamweaver Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I just wish, for once, there was less freaking people. Maybe THEN I can do an actual event.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is sick of dealing with MAYBE 1 frame every 20-30 seconds. Maybe if they set some kind of limitation. I mean, I understand you may need someone else there to die and to make it through rooms yourself...but still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    not fun qq
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Conavar - Heavens Tear
    Conavar - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Its not that hard if i was alone or atleast had most of the noobs who got me killed out of the way i would have finished it you just need to take your time and find out where the mobs move and what the traps do most people just rush around with sprint and holypath and get evreyone killed b:surrender

^^ This lol

F9 > check patrol routes > choose a Path > Go > Some idiot Holy paths straight across drags the mobs and gets everyone killed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pyrya - Archosaur
    Pyrya - Archosaur Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Thoroughly hated this event. I'd take the same path around the fires and get killed 3/4 the time. Not worth the time or charm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MsEvilness - Heavens Tear
    MsEvilness - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The combination of my computer lag and the connection lag made this event more frustrating than fun for me.

Maybe for someone with a good computer and with a good ping to the server, the event would be good...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Originally posted by LShattered - HeavensTear
    Ohhh...I am dumb b:shutup
  • Darcwolf - Lost City
    Darcwolf - Lost City Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I just wish, for once, there was less freaking people. Maybe THEN I can do an actual event.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is sick of dealing with MAYBE 1 frame every 20-30 seconds. Maybe if they set some kind of limitation. I mean, I understand you may need someone else there to die and to make it through rooms yourself...but still.

People need to stop QQing about lag and get a better pc or internet connection, I had torrents running and had no lag at all.
  • nickarz
    nickarz Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I have joint only Miasma Swamp when people leave and have lag to see mob
    emm boss

I have found more funny this event and really sad/difficult with lag the first room.
    40 min without go to 2 room!

Nice the mob that shot and make speedup.
    Nice the labirinth, nice the graphics, nice the trap.

Bad the lag.

M = map is old Forest Ruins (jungle Ruins) map....never good with new fb b:shocked it is different.