Old Frost vs New Frost

Options
Michael_Dark - Lost City
Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Have you done Old Frost... did you like it or hate it, or do you prefer the New Frost?

I was pretty upset when they first nerfed it. I did enjoy the first run or two through the new frost when *nobody* knew how to run it. After that, it because a sad rinse-repeat exp **** breeding ground.

So what do you think?

Feel free to post your stories about either Old or New Frost!
I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
Post edited by Michael_Dark - Lost City on

Comments

• _Ghostz_ - Archosaur
    _Ghostz_ - Archosaur Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Old Frost was no doubt fun, the epic squad wipes, back in the day when people actually needed to know how to utilize their class to the fullest in order for the squad to survive, but I gotta admit this new way of EXP is right up my alley, New Frost for overall leveling capability
    Just don't. This is your final warning.
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I spent weeks farming essences and such. I was excited to make some FC equipment, and the instance was long and hard (that'swhatshesaid) and it was sorta fun.

New FC came out and I used that to grind, and it was fun a few times, and I eventually got sick of how horribly boring it was.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ugh...I don't miss old Frost at all. So many party wipes. I do remember when my party finally killed that first boss though. Gods, it was amazing.

What I would like back is old Lunar though. 3mil to get in is...ugh. It'd be cheaper to just enter in through trophy mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Admittedly I haven't run New Frost all that much, but the first few times was pretty exciting... however it got pretty boring.

Lately i'm wondering what it would be like now if we could go back into Old Frost. Certainly 10x parties would have a lot of troubles back then, but now with end game gear being so much better, I wonder how much fun it would have been if the instance hadn't been nurfed.

I don't hate New Frost at all, but it's not something that I consider fun. Even for an 8x party, it's just a trip to the exp farm.

Ugh...I don't miss old Frost at all. So many party wipes. I do remember when my party finally killed that first boss though. Gods, it was amazing.

What I would like back is old Lunar though. 3mil to get in is...ugh. It'd be cheaper to just enter in through trophy mode.

Yeah, it was a pretty epic feeling of accomplishment when you finally killed the first boss.

I like Old Lunar better too and really miss that as well. :<
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Old Frost was one of the most challenging instances I knew - the other being Lunar. After doing Solo mode and not having much difficulty, we tried Squad and... damn. It took us several tries just to figure out the first bosse's tricks (the dragon-lizard thing). AOE stun, water-debuff followed by an iceball attack (that combo practically one-shot me many times).

I hate what a dull EXP grind it became, and only enter it once every month or two under duress. There are so few areas of the game that still require actual skill anymore...
    b:sad
    I do miss the curvades and the ability to create Frost gear, but I don't think there's any hope of FF-Gold armors returning, aside from an armor token in some new pack. At the very least, if bosses still dropped mats, I don't think I would hate it so much, but to intentionally remove functionality from the game, for an area that wasn't even broken (just unpopular) still makes me see red.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Old Frost was horrible...the gear you could get was (at the time) amazing...but the instance = fml
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Old Frost was horrible...the gear you could get was (at the time) amazing...but the instance = fml

Yeah, I'm sure most clerics would absolutely hate going in there. Talk about HP and MP charm ****. Oh the mana you would burn in there.

I remember tanking a few of the later bosses in solo mode... I used up 40-50 MP pots per boss. b:surrender
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Old Frost was one of the most challenging instances I knew - the other being Lunar.

Old Lunar was 10x easier than Old Frost. I actually completed Old Lunar multiple times. Old Frost...I've only killed the first boss once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sure most clerics would absolutely hate going in there. Talk about HP and MP charm ****. Oh the mana you would burn in there.

I remember tanking a few of the later bosses in solo mode... I used up 40-50 MP pots per boss. b:surrender

It was awful...I will not even sit here and pretend there was anything decent about it.

The Charm loss/pot usage and getting lost and the mobs/bosses were insane.

On top of that you had to do it in squad to open solo mode, but in squad you would have to do 2x for ONE person to get everything they needed.

I helped someone do it and it was a hell no for me to do it and those quests sat in my log till the new (very, very easy) Frost came out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Normal.png I loved old frost, on my cleric. I farmed it for about a month or two, was slowly collecting. It was time that I was willing to invest, honestly, presented a challenge and was totally fun. I didnt go into new frost until I started up on Arch server, and tbh, its such a major bore.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • _Ghostz_ - Archosaur
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Old frost bettered the Game, all the old challenges did. And the only reason people did that instance was because 85 was actually a big deal before now 8x goes by in a week if your slow...... I miss everything the Old PWI had to offer. Zhen Parties, Grind Sessions, Long chains of quests and quest gear, Cube of fate when it was a fast leveling place, Gammas..... Gold Hp Charms for 350-400k.....

I Just miss how Old PWI did things....
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Old frost bettered the Game, all the old challenges did. And the only reason people did that instance was because 85 was actually a big deal before now 8x goes by in a week if your slow...... I miss everything the Old PWI had to offer. Zhen Parties, Grind Sessions, Long chains of quests and quest gear, Cube of fate when it was a fast leveling place, Gammas..... Gold Hp Charms for 350-400k.....

I Just miss how Old PWI did things....

Nostalgia... sad.gif I stay for filming, and my friends, but PWI's a joke anymore...
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    World.pngWTB Perfect World International rights to draw all the business from Perfect World Entertainment and Beijing Perfect World. PM me offer!!!
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    annoying2.gifVILKASS: Hm, done old Frost only 1-2 times, was in a small guild hard to find ppl to come. Remember I was annoyed the frags I was collecting for squad mode were useless now lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ^

I still have Lunar Soulgems (red, blue, etc) b:chuckleb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• _Ghostz_ - Archosaur
    edited August 2010
    Options
    couldnt say it better Kephras..... Like sometimes I wish they really knew what they were doing.

I wish they would have understood that a happy player base attracts more people to play simple because happy players tell friends to play/spend money on neccesities (Cash Shop items like Charms, Scrolls, etc)

I wish they understood that they would have gained more revenue overall if they kept the things the way they were instead of giving it up for a couple months of spike venue which would end in a plummet

I wish they understood that we would have stayed in the game longer because we would have made more friends (and enemies) and would make these servers packed with competitive people which in turn would have increased their revenue simply by the competitive spirit in every human being

I wish they they understood that more people wouldnt be moving from server but instead the new servers they would create would be filled with completely (virtually) of new people which again post their revenue and even those that moved would boost the competitive spirit......

Thats only a few things...if only if only.......
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ...Can't read this thread anymore. Makes me a sad tiger.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I had never gotten a chance to play through Old Frost, but from the stories I heard, it sounded like fun. A challenging instance that kept you on your toes in a way that - in my own personal opinion - TT doesn't.

I mean I found new Frost fun enough with the different way of dealing with bosses the first time, but it was so horribly easy. There was no challenge to it at all, so that feeling of "fun" got worn out pretty quickly because... it was never hard. Never difficult. You know, running Frost wasn't rewarding, it was just "Oh hey look EXP" by the time I was able to run it.

I'd love the ability to run through Old Frost with a squad. Maybe farm gears rather then pray they drop or spend 20 million for them. And maybe have a squad wipe where everybody laughs about it and pats each other on the back saying "The challenge beat us, now let's all rez and kick it's ****" rather then a rare squad wipe happening and the entire planet going "BAAAAAAWWWWW MY EXP!!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I was never able to do Old frost squad mode, but did manage to try out Solo mode once. At 59, with a 75 Barb and Veno. XD;;;

We spent a good...4-5 hours wondering where the hell we were going? Our heads exploded at the fact flying mobs were allowed in an instance, we died so many times I lost count, and opening doors basically amounted to:

Veno: How we open dis?
    Me: What are you looking at me for? D=
    Barb: There were some NPCs back there...maybe they have something to do with these drops?
    Veno & Me: Okay.
    *1 hour of random running about later*
    All: Yay door opened!
    *Me and Veno die*
    Me: WEOIGNWOEGNWOGNOWEGINW HARPIES I HATE YOU

Nowadays...Frost is boring as all hell. Sure the bosses are pretty interesting, but they get old fast. It's nothing hard either, and I honestly don't see how people can live in there. X_X

Personally I'd love to have been around when people were staring down this behemoth for the first time. Assuming those stats are accurate. b:shocked
  • Foxgrit - Lost City
    Foxgrit - Lost City Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    me and my gf did old frost once on HL. was a 4 computer and all day affair back then for the 2 of us. back when this game took skill to do some things and was actually fun...
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    old frost... old old frost i ran witha squad of lv90+

..............half way there took 7hrs ......just half way. figuring out the mobs n doors n ****. Everyone got **** tired and decided to leave our characters there and each sleep for 5 or so hours. When we woke up the instance had kicked us out and us in snowy village. 7 freakin hours on one instance unfinished is my longest in an mmo thus far dungeon wise (aside from boss fights)

yes it was challenging, it MIGHT have been better challenge wise...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The old frost was useless. The equipments you could farm there were awesome!!! for level 85....

Pretty much it was a waste of time, too dificult. One was better off consuming your time for Lunar Glade which has much better equipments and though I havent done even a single LG run, it seems LG was a bit easier (the old one).

That is why no one did frost before. People naturally do instances that have a good effort/reward rate only.
  • drjiggle
    drjiggle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've done the old solo mode and was about a week away from collecting all the jades I needed for the curvade quest to open squad mode. I was working on becoming our guild's frost expert, so I could drag some more people along with me. We were just starting to reach a critical mass of people in the right level range when they changed it.

We went into the new one on the first day when nobody knew anything about it and had a blast. We only made it as far as the bishop boss, because our squad was way underlevelled for it (we had to kick the cleric from the squad to even open the door), but it was fun -- more fun than running it in record time with a squad of high 9x or 10x.

Good, bad, or indifferent? I don't particularly mind that the new one is an experience farm. Honestly as much as we like to cry about how easy people have it now, the reality is that if new players had to play for a over year to catch up, there wouldn't be any new players. The people wanting to go back to grinding on fish just aren't being realistic. It's like your great grandfather telling you about how he used to gather around the radio when he was a kid. Yeah, those old radio shows are good, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of TV's.

What kills me is that I got totally screwed on all the mats I farmed. They're worthless. Even worse, there are some items (quite a few actually) that basically no longer exist in the game. Since the mats were removed and only some of the old Frost items drop, you'll never see anyone with a Frost cape, gold Frost armor, etc.

I don't really understand why adding experience meant they had to remove the mats. Sure, maybe they needed to rebalance the drop rates, but removing them entirely just seems like laziness. If nothing else, they could have made it possible to turn "Past of the Frostcovered City" into old style mats. Now, unless you want an Aquadash, even those are pretty close to worthless. They ought to just remove those forges instead of leaving them there to taunt me.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I went to Old Frost, don't miss it, and don't like new frost. Which do I vote?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    edited August 2010
    Options
    *checks on bigger asterboobs*
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    *checks on bigger asterboobs*

Where do I go to vote for this?
    edited August 2010
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    Where do I go to vote for this?
    where else? :3
    edited August 2010
    Options

I knew I missed an option. I should have put a 'who cares?' option. QQ

Sorry. b:surrender
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i never went into the old Frost on my barb. went on my veno for a bit - but all we did was kill a couple mobs and then the guy who needed it said he had to go or w/e. I remember needing curvades or w/e to activate bosses...

New frost is okay if you want to level without grinding forever, but it presents a huge bill for me - to the point where I don't really like to do it much. For the last week I'd been trying to get gamma squads together - but no one hardly does them anymore with BH and FC readily available. Its sad really.. Gamma gives better XP than BH and pays out fairly well in coinage, whereas with BH you're looking at farming or paying for wines - else spending a couple hours on minimal xp. The way I see it - BH + new Frost killed gamma.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • nickarz
    nickarz Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I like new Frost.
    Easy, Hyper Frost with hyper stone, drop easy, dont need mangatama, funny boss.

The only chose that i want change is the Mag Def of boss...too hight respect phy def b:shocked