Thoughts on Oracles?

DethByPurple - Lost City
DethByPurple - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
So, there seems to be quite a bit of mixed feelings about Oracle usage. I'm sure I'm repeating some thread posted weeks ago that's been buried, but I'm just curious.. What are YOUR thoughts on using Oracles to level?

For those who have no inkling of what an Oracle is, they are items that, when used, require a player to defeat a certain mob in exchange for large amounts of spirit and experience. When bought in bulk, Oracles provide far more experience than questing and normal level growth, but a player must then go back and do the quests they missed when gaining levels with Oracles.

I hear that many players view this method as a form of cheating; gaining levels through money spent instead of investing time into their characters.

Personally, I find them helpful if not used excessively. If I need an extra level or two to complete an irrationally hard quest, I might find myself grabbing a few Oracles instead of grinding for a week. This is rational, yes?

1, 2, 3... Go!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
Post edited by DethByPurple - Lost City on

Comments

• NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    inb4

stuffstorm.jpg
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Greatest thing ever
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Meh, there are always opinions on what "cheating" is. Usually people get mad when it ruins their exclusivity at something, whether it be attaining levels or getting a certain item. That's why I don't take serious people who QQ about oracles just because they spend 498234923432 hours grinding or rebirth'ing or questing/BH'ing. It's not inherently better to level up the longer and more tedious way -- just another thing to try and brag about.

It's entirely possible that a person could be knowledged enough to oracle and still play their class well, but they will still, regardless, have a learning curve at higher levels and chances are higher of encountering squads who will get pissed at them for not knowing things a character who leveled up the non-oracle way would know. In the end, the higher level dungeons/instances require people knowing how to play their class and it requires trial and error. Oracles circumvents that, which means the learning curve in that respect moves to a higher level. Some learn faster than others, though, and I've seen quite a lot of people who leveled the "hard" way still be idiots at playing their class. Just be prepared, though, if you oracle to a high level and suck at your class, you'll rightfully get ****.
  • BarbLord - Raging Tide
    BarbLord - Raging Tide Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    No oracles, hypers and triple bh should all never have been in the game they make leveling way to easy
    Single bh is ok at lvl 60+, Before 60 leveling purely by grinding is so easy its not worth discusing as you can level every other day like that

So I'm totally against oracles, atleast the way you can obtain them nowadays before jolly jones and packs you got one if you were lucky from mob drops the amount of existing oracles was so low it didn't matter and actually was a nice boost, yet small one
  • DethByPurple - Lost City
    edited July 2010
    Meh, there are always opinions on what "cheating" is. Usually people get mad when it ruins their exclusivity at something, whether it be attaining levels or getting a certain item. That's why I don't take serious people who QQ about oracles just because they spend 498234923432 hours grinding or rebirth'ing or questing/BH'ing. It's not inherently better to level up the longer and more tedious way -- just another thing to try and brag about.

It's entirely possible that a person could be knowledged enough to oracle and still play their class well, but they will still, regardless, have a learning curve at higher levels and chances are higher of encountering squads who will get pissed at them for not knowing things a character who leveled up the non-oracle way would know. In the end, the higher level dungeons/instances require people knowing how to play their class and it requires trial and error. Oracles circumvents that, which means the learning curve in that respect moves to a higher level. Some learn faster than others, though, and I've seen quite a lot of people who leveled the "hard" way still be idiots at playing their class. Just be prepared, though, if you oracle to a high level and suck at your class, you'll rightfully get ****.

True true. And Oracle users don't necessarily not know their class. I know people like myself who just get lazy after making chars and leveling them slowly and carefully and want to get down to the real meat of the game, PVP and the like.

Thanks for the input.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
    edited July 2010
    No oracles, hypers and triple bh should all never have been in the game they make leveling way to easy
    Single bh is ok at lvl 60+, Before 60 leveling purely by grinding is so easy its not worth discusing as you can level every other day like that

So I'm totally against oracles, atleast the way you can obtain them nowadays before jolly jones and packs you got one if you were lucky from mob drops the amount of existing oracles was so low it didn't matter and actually was a nice boost, yet small one

Agreed, I was a little pissed when they started being found en masse in cat shops. But I'm not totally against them. Leveling is very easy, more or less, until high levels. Oracles, more or less, just exist to make life easier for lazy veterans or noobs, I suppose. :P

thanks for your input.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    No one cares about oracles anymore, now that hypers are 10x faster at half the price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    EXP is one thing PWI gives away that is completely free. Paying for it is kinda sad. I can understand wanting to level up an alt really quickly... but enjoy the game and you'll level as a result of playing it and enjoying it.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    It's there, go ahead and use it as long as you are not smashing yourself in the foot. For beginner player of a class, it tends to skip some learning process for the class and we end up with 7X and 8X that have no idea wtf they are doing.

But as for leveling an alt, meh, there are faster and cheaper ways. My BM on Harshlands was 38 on Tuesday, and now 73 (event reward+account stash ftw). But then again, I already leveled a BM the slow way to 92 on another server.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    But as for leveling an alt, meh, there are faster and cheaper ways. My BM on Harshlands was 38 on Tuesday, and now 73 (event reward+account stash ftw). But then again, I already leveled a BM the slow way to 92 on another server.

That's one of the things new players see... they don't realize that a lot of the people speed leveling are alts... and while you can play the game however you want, it does take a while to become familiar with all the mechanics of the basic game that don't change when you switch from class to class that can't just be learned in a month or two of casual 2-4 hr every couple of days of gaming.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
    edited July 2010
    Seems like there should be some way to control who uses them. Then again, it's not entirely a big deal. The players who realize that they need to take time to learn the game stay, while the others leave after figuring out the easiest way isn't always best, no?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I think in some rare cases, using oracles constantly, to power level is fine...IE, your account on your high-level BM got **** and all the gear and coins were lost, and you were so discouraged that you just wanted to start a new BM, and decided to use oracles/Hypers to get back up to that level and make enough coin...whatever. I dunno.

But playing a class you've never mastered, power-leveling through the levels...I hate that, and have no respect for the people that do that.
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
    edited July 2010
    I think in some rare cases, using oracles constantly, to power level is fine...IE, your account on your high-level BM got **** and all the gear and coins were lost, and you were so discouraged that you just wanted to start a new BM, and decided to use oracles/Hypers to get back up to that level and make enough coin...whatever. I dunno.

But playing a class you've never mastered, power-leveling through the levels...I hate that, and have no respect for the people that do that.

Agreed 110%. I too only really have a problem with people using Oracles if they don't know what they're doing. Oracles are nice to have, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    No one cares about oracles anymore, now that hypers are 10x faster at half the price.

Seriously wtf.

Anyone who Oracles isn't pathetic because they're spending money to level.
    They're pathetic because they're too ret@rded to figure out how much money they're wasting.
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited July 2010
    Seriously wtf.

Anyone who Oracles isn't pathetic because they're spending money to level.
    They're pathetic because they're too ret@rded to figure out how much money they're wasting.

It's not that they're pathetic. Granted, some people who spend money on Oracles could spend their money better, but then again, they do grant quite a bit of xp and spirit, so it is worth the price.

My personal thoughts on cash shopping are that, since I work for my money, have a job, and pay the majority of my bills, if I want to spend my money to have fun in a game that doesn't REQUIRE me to spend money for the gaming experience, I might as well treat myself.

Oracles aren't a waste of money, they're very much worth the price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    It's not that they're pathetic. Granted, some people who spend money on Oracles could spend their money better, but then again, they do grant quite a bit of xp and spirit, so it is worth the price.

My personal thoughts on cash shopping are that, since I work for my money, have a job, and pay the majority of my bills, if I want to spend my money to have fun in a game that doesn't REQUIRE me to spend money for the gaming experience, I might as well treat myself.

If one has got used to the work ethic of the game as far as leveling goes, it isn't much doing TT or nirvana runs to get enough coin for a 35-70 oracle, combined with brain power orbs saved up from BH's.

The more concerning thing about oracles is if the person oracling is going to keep their interest in that character, given the "instant oatmeal" nature of their character's progression. Something to think about as well.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited July 2010

But you're basically choosing to buy a Cheeseburger for $5 when they're avaliable for $2.50 across the street.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    A level 40 sin WOULD like oracles, wouldn't they? >_>
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited July 2010

Personally I don't care if people use oracles anymore. If they do 3x BHs either, let them play their way, I'd let people play their way. I'd play my way.

Just like people want to level really fast, or level normally, or don't care to level (like myself) then let it be.

But the best way to level is by AOE grind / rebirth IMHO. And ofc quests. Worst way is crazy stone leveling.

BTW, I do like level 45... I don't see why I should level... and I don't have decent 5x sword and fists though b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Personally I don't care if people use oracles anymore. If they do 3x BHs either, let them play their way, I'd let people play their way. I'd play my way.

Just like people want to level really fast, or level normally, or don't care to level (like myself) then let it be.

But the best way to level is by AOE grind / rebirth IMHO. And ofc quests. Worst way is crazy stone leveling.

BTW, I do like level 45... I don't see why I should level... and I don't have decent 5x sword and fists though b:cry

Let it be, let it beeeee~
    Let it be, let it be~
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Let it be, let it beeeee~
    Let it be, let it be~

Oh dude, I can't go on msn btw b:sad stupid net ftl. Soon I willl but it will be wireless -__-" I'm going to QQ if I lag a lot lol. But anyways, I'm getting a little bored xD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Megalomania - Harshlands
    Megalomania - Harshlands Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Oracles were cool back in 2009, BH's 3x a day and FC untill hyper is out is the fast way this year. Keep up to date, gosh b:surrender
    edited July 2010
    Oracles were cool back in 2009, BH's 3x a day and FC untill hyper is out is the fast way this year. Keep up to date, gosh b:surrender

Gosh, sorry. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
  • Reshanta - Sanctuary
    Reshanta - Sanctuary Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    The more concerning thing about oracles is if the person oracling is going to keep their interest in that character, given the "instant oatmeal" nature of their character's progression. Something to think about as well.

..This is exactly why I don't use them. Maybe for that last few %, but never to gain a whole level.

And I'm still grinding traditional - just takes forever.
    Lonely man with a big heart.
  • Roin - Harshlands
    Roin - Harshlands Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    They are not bad this game is so easy 2 play that i found out how to play a bm/archer and few other classes very good by pking them with my wiz grinding wont give you any more skill then oracleing unless you aoe or something you just killing less mobs that give alot more xp and save alot of time but back b4 i quit there was a few people who had no clue how to play the game because they oracled right after they started playing but if you can make lvl 60 without it there is not alot more for you to find out about pwi you need gear > skill on this game b:surrender
    edited July 2010
    A level 40 sin WOULD like oracles, wouldn't they? >_>

This is my second account, my first was ****. So yes, I do like Oracles because I don't want to do all that work again. I have a fairly good idea of how the game works, seeing as how I've been playing for a year and a half..

So let's not make this about me. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
    edited July 2010
    They are not bad this game is so easy 2 play that i found out how to play a bm/archer and few other classes very good by pking them with my wiz grinding wont give you any more skill then oracleing unless you aoe or something you just killing less mobs that give alot more xp and save alot of time but back b4 i quit there was a few people who had no clue how to play the game because they oracled right after they started playing but if you can make lvl 60 without it there is not alot more for you to find out about pwi you need gear > skill on this game b:surrender

Sort of. But there is skill involved when it comes down to actually being serious about the game. If you want to make an actual attempt at everything PWI has to offer, you do have to work at it, know your skills, have combat strategies, etc. Gear is a huge factor, but choosing gear as well as making killer builds falls under skill.

Back to Oracles... Yes, it is basically the same as grinding, just more expensive. But there's ways to be self-sufficient about it.. I know people who farm for weeks on end to raise money to by Oracles without spending gold for the cash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
    edited July 2010
    ..This is exactly why I don't use them. Maybe for that last few %, but never to gain a whole level.

And I'm still grinding traditional - just takes forever.

Do you use hyper xp stones? :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1
  • Pure_Black - Harshlands
    Pure_Black - Harshlands Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I leveled a barb to 88 before ANY exp help, only grinding/questing/WQ/GV(or rebirth)/Crazy stone)

Then i leveled up a wiz to 90 with 1x BH starting around 6x on top of that

Then i leveled a BM from 0-90 in two weeks with Oracles/Public quest/3x BH's and hyper FC

Now i'm doing the same for a cleric as i did with my BM

I enjoyed my grinding and questing time with my barb and wiz, because the mechanics are very different from eachother.

I hated questing on my bm and cleric, as i already know how to kill x mob with a barb or wiz. not to hard to figure out how bm and cleric would respond to said mobs.

So oracles, i applaud them to level up alts quickly if you already have a good idea of game mechanics

so oracles, i HATE them in the hands of players who just started out trying to best level only in PWI. The game as SOOOOOOOO MUCH more to offer then leveling. on my barb i spend hours flying around and enjoying the scenery. making screenshots as background, or just hitting mobs/bosses/world bosses just to see what they did to you.

so yeah, i got two views on it
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    because of the new dailies fast lvling and what not, the average player base now kinda sucketh, so i think the oracles dont do much harm now, as compared to before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan