Why are people so egotistical and proud in this game?

Options
Longknife - Harshlands
Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
Lemme tell a fun story about what happened to me yesterday, without naming names of course.

Some high level girl was incredibly friggin' bored, so she loaded herself up with fireworks in her inventory, went red and hung out at west archo. Any time she died, fireworks would drop, so of course a lot of people were keen to killing her. She'd say "nooo my fireworks," and I thought it'd be fun to try and defend her. Some cleric shoots at her, I attack him. Thing about Psys is, all of our attack ailments are on our AOE's, so unless we want to friggin' die in PVP, we have to AOE. This also means that since there's no way to filter attacks so that they only hit the target, Psys accidently pi$$ off a lot of people.
So, I AOE stun the Cleric, and along with him, a couple others die, one of them being another Psy. He immediately messages me saying "bro wtf?? Wtf bro???" and asking if he's on my KoS list. I say no and explain that it was an AOE and apologize. He says "oh ok, np."

A few seconds later, I'm attacked. As you all may know, when a random dude attacks you, they're immediately highlighted. Without looking, I hit my attack button the moment I see a face pop up at the top of my screen. After the target dies, I see it's the Psy. He immediately messages me and says "wtf bro!!" I'm puzzled and say "you attacked me :U" to which he responds "that's it, your on my KoS noob."

He comes back, surprises me and kills me, then says "stupid noob."
I come back, kill him. He comes back, I kill him again, and he says "I didn't have MP pots." I say "then don't attack me xD" and suddenly he calls on friends for help.

One of those friends was a cleric who'd attacked me just the other day. The cleric put me to sleep, hit me with a weakness spell, shot me with plume shot, I stunned him, and then just attacked until he died. After my stun finally broke, he was attacking back, but he lost.

Dude laid on the ground a good 6 seconds and then said "what just happened? I lagged through the whole fight."

Another great example is a person who, again, died to AOE crossfire, logged on their 101 and whispered me saying "congratulations, you're on my KoS list. That was my alt. Prepare to die, bish." That person actually had the decency to drop the drama when I told them I never intended to kill them, though.

My point with all this is....

Why does everyone have to turn PVP into some big personal ego fight? It's a friggin' game. But no, "I'm a super mega ultra badass and no one can ever kill me EVER. If you so much as attack me once, I will hunt you down and ****. YOUR. PARENTS." Yeah, you and every other farker who logs into this game. Seriously, chill the hell out: it's a game.

I dunno how many times I'll get bored and I've hung out at a PVP spot, but then, upon killing some guy for whatever various reason (self-defense, he helped someone who killed me, I was helping someone who helped me, just for the hell of it, etc etc etc...), I accidently set off an ego war with him, summoning his entire guild to gank me or whatever.

So I want everyone who does all the trash-talking and pride **** to first of all realize how f***ing ret@rded you look, and second of all remind yourselves that it's just a freaking game. Furthermore it's a game that's quite well-balanced compared to other MMOs, so I seriously believe that just about any player has a good shot at killing another player their level; you're bound to die eventually so get over it.
And hell I'll admit that the trash-talking is so prevelant that it's easy to get caught into. I know I have when I'm talking to someone who really can't let go of their ego. The issue is though that a lot of people seem to have this entirely defensive and defiant attitude. Swear to god, some of these people you could just say "hey got a spare MP pot" and they'd respond with "WHO WANTS TO KNOW? FRIGGIN NOOB"

As for everyone else, I wanna hear your stories of fights you've had with proud egotistical morons. I know I've got plenty more...
I <3 AGOREY
Post edited by Longknife - Harshlands on

Comments

• DrowElfQueen - Dreamweaver
    DrowElfQueen - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    2 words... Poor Sportsmanship. b:chuckle And u all know who you are when u QQ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EverDoom - Harshlands
    EverDoom - Harshlands Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    hehe well people just dont like getting killed i guess. my best fight was sending my newb sawfly in to attack and then suddenly im dead. =(
  • Arliana - Dreamweaver
    Arliana - Dreamweaver Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    come over to dreamweaver. everyone is nice.... unless u drop a 100mil item... lol
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

Agreed.

PvP tends to bring out.....bad pride in most people. <___<

Well on HT it does....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

+1
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Some people feel better about their Self-Esteem when they kill for revenge lol. It's not in all cases but I think when people who have weak self-esteem would like to join fights or kill (online with people that they never met and not face-to-face) and if they win they'd feel better about themselves in real life.

However many times you say it's a game, some people still take it too seriously and you will never get rid of them. You just have to deal with them.

And who cares if you die and they win? Tell them 'Congrats, you killed me, want a cookie?'

b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sherufaniru - Raging Tide
    Sherufaniru - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Well that the life of PVP not saying all players are like that but some that are I'm like O_O chill it only a game it not like your life was on the line and lost and you end up in a coma(Anyone get the referance b:chuckle)

What I also find weird with people ego when they kill some one they get all mad if you don't reply to their insults lol seriously some people need to learn not everyone get mad over a game.

Now days if I'm playing on a PVP server depending on the game I like to lose to see what creative stuff they come up and see them get into a fit of nerdrage cause they failed to get reaction out of me b:laugh

Good Pkers just kill you and move on IMO well they say something witty and funny, bad ones just want to bring your family/dog/cat/boss whatever and just flame you to see if you rage I'm just saying. >_>
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Not just in this game or here. Everywhere you go on the Internet. Get used to it, it's not changing until we have some way to remove the anonymity.
  • Rubix - Harshlands
    Rubix - Harshlands Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Lemme tell a fun story about what happened to me yesterday, without naming names of course.

Some high level girl was incredibly friggin' bored, so she loaded herself up with fireworks in her inventory, went red and hung out at west archo. Any time she died, fireworks would drop, so of course a lot of people were keen to killing her. She'd say "nooo my fireworks," and I thought it'd be fun to try and defend her. Some cleric shoots at her, I attack him. Thing about Psys is, all of our attack ailments are on our AOE's, so unless we want to friggin' die in PVP, we have to AOE. This also means that since there's no way to filter attacks so that they only hit the target, Psys accidently pi$$ off a lot of people.
    So, I AOE stun the Cleric, and along with him, a couple others die, one of them being another Psy. He immediately messages me saying "bro wtf?? Wtf bro???" and asking if he's on my KoS list. I say no and explain that it was an AOE and apologize. He says "oh ok, np."

A few seconds later, I'm attacked. As you all may know, when a random dude attacks you, they're immediately highlighted. Without looking, I hit my attack button the moment I see a face pop up at the top of my screen. After the target dies, I see it's the Psy. He immediately messages me and says "wtf bro!!" I'm puzzled and say "you attacked me :U" to which he responds "that's it, your on my KoS noob."

I come back, kill him. He comes back, I kill him again, and he says "I didn't have MP pots." I say "then don't attack me xD" and suddenly he calls on friends for help.

One of those friends was a cleric who'd attacked me just the other day. The cleric put me to sleep, hit me with a weakness spell, shot me with plume shot, I stunned him, and then just attacked until he died. After my stun finally broke, he was attacking back, but he lost.

Dude laid on the ground a good 6 seconds and then said "what just happened? I lagged through the whole fight."

Another great example is a person who, again, died to AOE crossfire, logged on their 101 and whispered me saying "congratulations, you're on my KoS list. That was my alt. Prepare to die, bish." That person actually had the decency to drop the drama when I told them I never intended to kill them, though.

Why does everyone have to turn PVP into some big personal ego fight? It's a friggin' game. But no, "I'm a super mega ultra badass and no one can ever kill me EVER. If you so much as attack me once, I will hunt you down and ****. YOUR. PARENTS." Yeah, you and every other farker who logs into this game. Seriously, chill the hell out: it's a game.

I dunno how many times I'll get bored and I've hung out at a PVP spot, but then, upon killing some guy for whatever various reason (self-defense, he helped someone who killed me, I was helping someone who helped me, just for the hell of it, etc etc etc...), I accidently set off an ego war with him, summoning his entire guild to gank me or whatever.

So I want everyone who does all the trash-talking and pride **** to first of all realize how f***ing ret@rded you look, and second of all remind yourselves that it's just a freaking game. Furthermore it's a game that's quite well-balanced compared to other MMOs, so I seriously believe that just about any player has a good shot at killing another player their level; you're bound to die eventually so get over it.
    And hell I'll admit that the trash-talking is so prevelant that it's easy to get caught into. I know I have when I'm talking to someone who really can't let go of their ego. The issue is though that a lot of people seem to have this entirely defensive and defiant attitude. Swear to god, some of these people you could just say "hey got a spare MP pot" and they'd respond with "WHO WANTS TO KNOW? FRIGGIN NOOB"

As for everyone else, I wanna hear your stories of fights you've had with proud egotistical morons. I know I've got plenty more...

cool story BRO
    I have nothing to say.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Filter circumvention is a banable offence - Ary
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Fortress - Raging Tide
    Fortress - Raging Tide Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Just because someone else circumvented the filter doesn't mean you can do it too - Ary
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The mistake in my Sig means no ones perfect...

I am Fortress, he who eats bunnies.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    human nature? b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Namidatears - Harshlands
    Namidatears - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Agree 100% with you Longknife.
    The real thing is this type of peeps are badass only behind a computer...in real life they hide under their mama pants...and for sure...dont kill a fly...and less,speak like a powerbadassgod XD....so simple.(this for mature peeps)
    In other side of the coin,too much very young kids play(8,10 years old)...but in this case is normal...they are kids and act like that.

Pk time to time to not get bored is good...but this type of hate,kos thing,are stupid.

I Like to be your friend Longknife,and peeps with this mind,to enjoy a good game without this unnecessary hate..everyone are welcome to my friend list.
    b:bye
    =Palynzer= b:bye
  • BeingHope - Raging Tide
    BeingHope - Raging Tide Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Well a while back on Harshlands I got really mad at this one person and I PK'd them right? They were a fail, seriously. I 3-4 shot them without even healing myself.

Next thing I know? They get 8-9x on me and before I know it I lost all my armor and whatever. Just for killing them once. b:surrender and then he goes "hahahahaha you fail cleric" and everything when he was the one who got the entire BH39 at the time killed I don't know how many times now.

I dunno. I guess people don't feel as powerful in real life than in-game so they make themselves in-game all powerful and let their pride overtake them. Personally, I feel more powerful in real life than in game but thats just me.

Oh by the way, you're about to be slapped by the "Filter circumvention" in a bit b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
  • Anzillu - Raging Tide
    Anzillu - Raging Tide Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

i'll add another word: immature
    Well a while back on Harshlands I got really mad at this one person and I PK'd them right? They were a fail, seriously. I 3-4 shot them without even healing myself.

Next thing I know? They get 8-9x on me and before I know it I lost all my armor and whatever. Just for killing them once. b:surrender and then he goes "hahahahaha you fail cleric" and everything when he was the one who got the entire BH39 at the time killed I don't know how many times now.

I dunno. I guess people don't feel as powerful in real life than in-game so they make themselves in-game all powerful and let their pride overtake them. Personally, I feel more powerful in real life than in game but thats just me.

Oh by the way, you're about to be slapped by the "Filter circumvention" in a bit b:chuckle

yep, all these punks were/are the kids who get stuffed in lockers everyday. and just like when they become cops, they feel they can push people around and not get in trouble. most of these people are kids with mommy and daddy's credit card, or have no real life so they spend every waking moment on this game. most people take this game too seriously. on here, as well as most chatroom or any kind of electronic communication programs, they act all tough because their behind a keyboard.

but like you mentioned, if someones stupid enough to not listen to someone, and gets everyone killed, yeah i'm gonna pk their ****

i remember when i accidentally killed a cleric. i was on my veno out in the swamps, dead tired, early in the morning, he came to buff me. i accidentally clicked him twice (cause i was gonna buff him), and attacked him, well my pet did too, and killed the cleric in two hits. but the guy was cool (i think, i couldn't understand him) i apologized, and no one came after me.
    Dark for fear of failure
    An inner gloom as wide as an eye of fermenting
    Roiling hate
    Death grip in my veins
    Unveiling rancid petals
    Flowering fourth foul nectar
    Space between a blink and a tear
    Death blooms
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Well the reason I feel more powerful in real life is because i'm a "jock" and "prep" so I get a ton of advantages. Plus I come from a wealthy family. In-game however I'm just one 7x cleric compared to the dozens of 9x and 10x and well... In-game popularity is based on random variables such as levels, being infamous with other people, being well-known, etc.

b:surrender So yeah lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
  • Danikovich - Heavens Tear
    Danikovich - Heavens Tear Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Some people feel better about their Self-Esteem when they kill for revenge lol. It's not in all cases but I think when people who have weak self-esteem would like to join fights or kill (online with people that they never met and not face-to-face) and if they win they'd feel better about themselves in real life.

However many times you say it's a game, some people still take it too seriously and you will never get rid of them. You just have to deal with them.

And who cares if you die and they win? Tell them 'Congrats, you killed me, want a cookie?'

b:chuckle

self-esteem? >.> yeah right.
    Like they say in my country:
    When you are too smart, smartness eats you up.
  • Loltank - Harshlands
    Loltank - Harshlands Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ok, I was joking before, but now I really am your secret admirer, sir.

Couldn't have made a better thread about this if I tried. :D

/agreed with all of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ok, I was joking before, but now I really am your secret admirer, sir.

Couldn't have made a better thread about this if I tried. :D

/agreed with all of it.

+1 b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    human nature? b:shutup

You know of human nature?
    o.O
    b:avoid
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Leif - Lost City
    _Leif - Lost City Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Honestly, I think most people are just trash talking because it's fun. Seriously.

I most enjoy big pvp events with multiple guilds going at it. Unfortunately that very rarely happens unless some ******* starts shooting his mouth off about how much one player/squad/guild sucks at life and should reroll blah blah. If I pk someone and he calls four of his guildies to come back him up, I'll call some of mine. Now it's fun :3

As for people attacking you when you aoe them, it's expected. I never really had a huge problem with this til I started doing nein beast on a regular basis. It's more or less impossible for any pre-90 melee char to rack up good contribution in the nein captain/beast portion of the event, as there are always several 100+ players that turn off protections when they aoe. At this point, I can survive most aoes (minus HF combo or wizzie/psy aoes), but it's still a major pain in the ****. I've just started pking people that aoe me during the event, which causes them to flame (ironic that they're often an ally guild). I don't care. Shoot a gun into a crowd of people and see if you get arrested
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    Feiric - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    What's unfortunate is most of these people probably won't see this topic, nor really understand if they did. Every community in the world has nice and mean people, selfish and generous, loud and quiet. Every combination possible is probably out there.

Unfortunately, it's easier to be bad in communities like the internet because there's no meaningful accountability for their actions.

What gets me is how many lvl 75+ there are nowadays and how hard it is for lower levels to get help with cultivation bosses and whatnot. If you see someone standing in Town of Arrivals asking for help, just friggin' kill the boss for them! It would take most people on the servers five minutes or less.

I suppose it isn't much different than before, but just because the high-level population grew, this trend did as well. I just hope the same people aren't the ones complaining about no new people in game. That would be even worse.

I'm really considering opening up a lvl 3 faction just to help people get to 60, then kicking them out for more new people. It really sucks coming to a game late and having everyone consumed with how high level they are. I would take a shot in the dark and guess that's part of the reason why MMORPGs die eventually.

I'm basing these rants off of recent experiences with making an alt. I hope this is on topic enough. Thought it might add to what you're saying.
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    2 posts in here had to be edited already. Stop with it please before there are consequences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I get tired of the whining from people in PK... it's ridiculous. I got sick of it I'm playing first person shooters instead for "PVP/PK" since when you kill someone in those they don't whine about how you did it... they just get back up and fight. b:chuckle
  • fudgesicles
    fudgesicles Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    bleh its a game you just brought the drama to the forums b:scorn
  • minitar0
    minitar0 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options

sad thing about this is that it isnt just with pking its with monster killing to. you could be doing a quest and when ever u go to kill a monster someone will try and kill all of them just so u cant complete it. this has happend to me many times and it just grinds my gears
  • minitar0
    minitar0 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I get tired of the whining from people in PK... it's ridiculous. I got sick of it I'm playing first person shooters instead for "PVP/PK" since when you kill someone in those they don't whine about how you did it... they just get back up and fight. b:chuckle
    actually people will say ur cheating ur lagging or anything they can think of
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i know getting killed hurts some ppls egos. they feel like they were... bested? owned? failed at something? idk?
    i dont pvp, and when i duel i suck at it real bad. but i have friends who like to pvp, or at least duel. i dont mind losing, good fight is fun, for me too, and a great learning experience too :) i just set my goal not at winning but at holding for a while and landing few good shots before i die :P
    so when i was playing my veno alt (low 20s b:chuckle) i got invite to duel from sin my lev. at first i refused, told him im really bad at duels and id be easy win for him even though i do have pvp pet (i was leveling sawfly and bleed effect is pretty obvious) but he wanted to try...
    i may be bad but when i duel i make an effort. i believe thats only fair to give my best shot... so basing my tactics on all these times when _Surreal_ flattened my cleric i sent sawfly in, turned fox, amped and bitebitebite... guy panicked at amped bleed and attacked pet instead of me... and died with my hp bar almost full
    b:shocked
    then without regaining full hp ran and aggroed some pyrogolths... and died quite fast
    then went to town and i havent seen him anymore
    b:beatup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Energize - Heavens Tear
    Energize - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Haha is that Longknife from FlyFF?

In regards to your question, people are stupid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GaliNaab here, your neighbourhood friendly male venomancer.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Haha is that Longknife from FlyFF?

Oh snap, I've been found.

Now I gotta jump ship to some other MMO and pick an obscure new screenname.
    Perhaps Shortsword....
    I <3 AGOREY