What is your fighting style?

Options
Lesthar - Heavens Tear
Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Hey all,

Welcome to my second thread. I just wanted to ask you how you generally go in PWI, regardless of class and level (though equipment may count).

I tend to solo, not AOE, rest a lot and calculate HP and MP wisely before going back to battle. I do not use potions too often because I rely on recovery gears. I tend to take MMORPGs like tactical games, with careful advanced planning.

Pros: Safe way to grind, no one to argue with, I die very rarely, little repairs and all drops are mine, miiiiiine! Hahaha.
I also can only blame myself if I die... unless it is either a case of a wild spawn (a mob spawning in front of you when you are already busy, sounds familiar to you?), or I disconnect (b:angry) or just a faulty strategy.

Cons: Slow pace overall, some quests are outright cruel (pyrogolths of lv 5x, fishing and air-battles as my BM at level 6x, etc.), does not work on bosses or instance monsters, obviously.
Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
- When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
- Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
- New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
- When will we get new content? QQ
- Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
- I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
- *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
Post edited by Lesthar - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I run full speed at my enemies, screaming like a banshee.

Then, two seconds before making contact, I remember I'm a magic caster, and proceed to run back like a little girl.

Then I hit a button and stuff explodes.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • EbilBecca - Heavens Tear
    EbilBecca - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Solo of course and I meditate when I run low on mp(very rarely get hit unless my pet dies), instead of wasting my pots(which is why my inventory fills up a lot faster than it should lol).

I only ask for help on major bosses(fbs/bhs/tts). This counts for my archer and psy also(not counting the pet part lol) :Pb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]~sig by Satalia

The search function is a very useful tool, if you don't know how to use it then you're an idiot.b:chuckleb:cute

GAME UNINSTALLED b:victoryb:bye
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options

Then, two seconds before making contact, I remember I'm a magic caster, and proceed to run back like a little girl.

I learned to appreciate the art of kiting, as my magic-casters (phew, edited it in time). Just take it like a play of tag. b:laugh
    Oh and it is too bad you cannot intimidate monsters with battle cries. If they stopped aggroing with that skill, it would be quite fun and maybe useful, unless you did it for griefing (now, that would be evil! b:laugh).
    Solo of course and I meditate when I run low on mp(very rarely get hit unless my pet dies), instead of wasting my pots(which is why my inventory fills up a lot faster than it should lol).

I only ask for help on major bosses(fbs/bhs/tts). This counts for my archer and psy also(not counting the pet part lol) :Pb:bye

Well, it is certain that venomancers would rely much less on potions to grind, given the skills they got (it truly is a blessing for them, and a curse for foes); As for potions, I tend to send them to my other characters who may need them. That said, MP potions are a must if you are going for a boss and do not use MP charms or focus powders.
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I generally fight one at a time except for some occasions. Those are generally when two mobs are so close together that aggroing one would grab the other as well (then I just tempest+razor feathers. b:dirty). I also take multiples if they're poison mobs. Then I just do standard cleric AoE stuff. I rarely use pots while grinding, preferring to pace myself, meditate, or double spark to control mp.

When I'm with a party I do tend to step up the pace a bit more, so that I can really pull my own weight in a party. Then I'll use pots when needed, and not meditate. I will try and pace myself though, to keep my mp from running out to quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I generally fight one at a time except for some occasions. Those are generally when two mobs are so close together that aggroing one would grab the other as well (then I just tempest+razor feathers. b:dirty). I also take multiples if they're poison mobs. Then I just do standard cleric AoE stuff. I rarely use pots while grinding, preferring to pace myself, meditate, or double spark to control mp.

When I'm with a party I do tend to step up the pace a bit more, so that I can really pull my own weight in a party. Then I'll use pots when needed, and not meditate. I will try and pace myself though, to keep my mp from running out to quickly.

Monsters that group themselves (the aforementioned arsonists that go 'wooooow!' when they die, or those male moo moos) can be a pain in the butt; I tend to wait for them to isolate themselves, then I give them a well-measured dose of pain.
    Clerics are at least fine with monsters that do DoT, which only gets troublesome when the effect stacks up and with time... *Nod nod*

Of course, in a party, you are less enclined to be able to rest, unless the whole party agrees on that.
    That said, you got to keep a sense of timing indeed. Being blamed for rushing or on the contrary, calculating too much are things I tend to truly dislike, hence why I solo.
    And clerics are supposed to be those of the support line, so I understand your point.
  • Athena - Raging Tide
    Athena - Raging Tide Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Started off as the 6th choice as I was learning, then moved on to the 2nd once I realized how to kill things, then the 5th when I realized I could just heal people (I was a cleric), then the 4th when I finally became competent, then the 3rd when I became impatient with my 100th (exaggeration) character (and realized spending money on this game is stupid) and now it's the first because I realized that everyone else is incompetent.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Started off as the 6th choice as I was learning, then moved on to the 2nd once I realized how to kill things, then the 5th when I realized I could just heal people (I was a cleric), then the 4th when I finally became competent, then the 3rd when I became impatient with my 100th (exaggeration) character (and realized spending money on this game is stupid) and now it's the first because I realized that everyone else is incompetent.

Evolution is part of life, right? b:laugh
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I started out going the AoE route.....

Now i'm the first option. I have a charm (HP and MP), use around 100 pots within a day or two, and I take on around 20 mobs at once and don't even give it a second thought. (How do you think I do quests so fast?)

This is counted in most FB's/BH's/TT's/etc.
    The only time I WON'T do this? We approach a boss that has a [?] as it's lvl, and even then i've been known to rush at it with my fists on yelling at the top of my lungs "DIE YOU GOD DAMN BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!" before double sparking and beating the living day lights outta it >.>
  • Vascanonus - Raging Tide
    Vascanonus - Raging Tide Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I do a lot of quests solo, and thus rely heavily on apoth items and potions, as well as the bless box from the new daily (<3). Having played other classes before, I find that I have to be a lot more careful as a wizard and I find that for whatever mobs I'm fighting, I have figure out a spell order that A) kills quickly and B) reduces my taken damage as much as possible.
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Two words sum my playstyle up nicely...

LEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    My fighting style is to hang back so I can rez LadyXel b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Its all in the environment bro, what field I am on. I can't chose, depending on whatever char I am it goes differently
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    Cocobelle - Sanctuary Posts: 960 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I just let my pet attack, go on my email for a few seconds then return and heal my pet.
    If I'm on my cleric and I'm in a squad, I let BB/RB run and afk.
    b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I solo just about everything I can. I cannot rely on Charms, because being a non-cash-crutcher supporter, I just don't DO charms. I just can't respect anybody who buys their own personal cleric from the Cash Shop.

When I'm not doing difficult quests on my own, I usually call for an assist from the faction. (Team Llama members get three assists a week. You can use one assist for multiple bosses in the same area, like Rattus and Krimson.) It goes pretty much the same with TT's. (We use TT assists for those, which are also three a week.)
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I usually rely on others in instances as I do the healing and buffing.I am thinking of changing my playstyle to be more offense Cleric untill we get to the boss if others die just revive it saves me from going to town.I go to town a lot while being more supportive.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Hikari - Heavens Tear
    Hikari - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

I lol'd.

Awesome, just awesome.
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    its quite simple for me

I dont QQ, I pew pew b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Nannako - Lost City
    Nannako - Lost City Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

b:laugh Lol'd and now I have coffee all over my desk but its just priceless!
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and niceness. I am glad there is variety in this game, like it should be.
  • Zassyen - Sanctuary
    Zassyen - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Safe and solo..relying on pots. I create "camps" for myself if possible.
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Too many chickens imho >.>

To all who chose "Safe and steady soloing, but at a slow pace (like yours truly);", I will consider you all the be the most chicken people in game. (Only exception is if you are a cleric or wizard)

To those who chose "I rely on others to do my stuff, all the time (boo at you, boo!);", i hope you can actually play your class someday.

"Dying too often to achieve anything", there is a solution, it's called pots and charms.

"Full teamwork with people my level, on about every monster;", wimps.

"Relying on items or buffs on a regular basis (charms, potions, etc.) to hasten things or AOE", you are the smart guys, yet still somewhat chicken. Have fun.

"Full force assault, suicidal type that cares less about teammates;", where you guys at on Heavens Tear!!!? I wanna meet some of you guys! XD
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2010
    Options

To all who chose "Safe and steady soloing, but at a slow pace (like yours truly);", I will consider you all the be the most chicken people in game. (Only exception is if you are a cleric or wizard)

To those who chose "I rely on others to do my stuff, all the time (boo at you, boo!);", i hope you can actually play your class someday.

"Dying too often to achieve anything", there is a solution, it's called pots and charms.

"Relying on items or buffs on a regular basis (charms, potions, etc.) to hasten things or AOE", you are the smart guys, yet still somewhat chicken. Have fun.

"Full force assault, suicidal type that cares less about teammates;", where you guys at on Heavens Tear!!!? I wanna meet some of you guys! XD

Hey, hey, no trolling.

I guess there are people who like to not gain levels in a flash (or they would be using all kinds of leveling items and not lift much of a finger -no, not THAT finger-) and like to grind.
    Seriously, I am not a charm burner and I do not dream of being one.

This thread had a purpose, to see and show that everyone has his/her way of playing, which should be the correct answer. The other reason was to see everyone speak up in a peaceful atmosphere.

If you love to AOE to death, and falcon punch tons of mobs at once with all the risks and costs that it may imply, it's cool, probably impressive too. But calling others 'chickens' is of bad taste.

As I said before, I don't like to see my characters die and I tend to not party. And thus, I limit risks to a minimum. It may sound totally chicken to you, but it's how I roll, homie. And nothing will change that. b:laugh
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Let me know when you lose that chickenness and begin tanking TT's, cause i'd love to watch you actually attempt such a feat.
  • Sinalee - Dreamweaver
    Sinalee - Dreamweaver Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TEAM WORK xD. Believe it or not i don't solo with my own quests, and haven't since lvl 36 or so where i meet some awsome ppl ^^. Then found a great guy , got in game married and been questing together ever since ^^ i love teamwork being veno or not
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My fighting style is to hang back so I can rez LadyXel b:victory

Yet somehow you're the one that ends up eating dirt...

I mean wat? b:shutupb:laugh
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Let me know when you lose that chickenness and begin tanking TT's, cause i'd love to watch you actually attempt such a feat.

Should I be forced to do it to put it on my virtual PW curriculum vitae? Come on.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options

Cleric and wizards are meant to be safe and steady

There are times you have to rely on others, and other times you don't, no matter how skilled you are... But when it comes to cash shopping... yeah its easy, other than that, it depends on the situation

So your saying safe and steady is for most chicken people ingame? Yet using charms? K. Pots, and powders are for the real ones in battles brother

There is a difference between full team work and full squad, yes full team work might be full squads, but he means more likely putting great efforts with squads of 2-6 with full concentration around your levels.

So you called yourself a chicken?

Lol

quoted :D

(10 chars)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    Azzazin - Dreamweaver Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Options
    A lot of your play style depends on gear... and experience.

When I started off my sin (the first day they came out) nobody knew anything about sins. No guides, unexplored territory. I played cautious at first as I fingered the limits of what I could do.

Lvl 20-29 was hard, and I think I would have to say, I had a very calculating play style back then. Physical melee mobs were kited with a bow. I went through many hp pots in these days as well.

Lvl 29-59 was fun, as blood paint became more & more effective. Gradually my play style started shifting, and I would take on up to 2 mobs at once.

Lvl 59-89 I fully morphed into stage 1. Rush in, double spark, kill however many mobs were there. Did some aoeing around 80-89.

Lvl 89+ regular mobs are kinda too boring/easy now. I solo my bh79 and do TT instead :D

Sins ftw!

-Azzazin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Setting of the twilight moon; a late evening rendezvous from atop the
    city's lonely heights. With the dawn the city below springs into bustling
    activity, and I don my morning apparel. From on high, I watch the world.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2010
    Options
    To Yulk: Hey bro, no counter-trolling by trolling. I can handle it, thanks though. b:laugh

To Azzazin: This is a good point, as your playstyle can eventually change as you level, be it through positive or negative experiences. I did not want to be that specific, or I would have made this thread into 'how did you modify fighting style as you leveled with your favorite class?'. That said, it could be interesting for a thread topic, if people do not go tl;dr and flee/ignore the thread.
    P.S.: I'm glad you evolved nicely.
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yulk: srry, forgot to mention powders and apoc items. I don't really use them since my apoc craft lvl is seriously underlvl'd currently (and will remain that way until i feel like using it).

Nope, not calling myself a chicken. Especially considering, i only AoE in places with high mob spawn rate and major arggo problems. If anything, i'd just call myself a little smarter then the people who are in the same lvl range as me.

@ the "lol", IT'S TRUE!!!! I wanna meet them cause i wanna see if their more suicidal then I am xD

Hell, if somebody said "Who wants to tank a WB, lvl don't matter", I'd be the first to go "SQUAD ME!!!!"
    Or, my personal favorite, i run up to a WB, start hitting and then spark, and see how long it takes before i die b:chuckle (best record so far is 10 hits)