Devs and GMs, why not remove gold trading?

Yulk - Heavens Tear
Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Suggestion Box
If you really want to make money, remove gold trading then. Sure a lot of people here won't agree with me. But go look at other mmorpgs yourselves. There was no gold trading, but people still bought cash shopped items with real money and there wasn't really complains about cash shop. But keep the cash shop items trade-able so. Not everyone like the idea but its really worth it.

Let the gears gained from ingame instead, crafting skills, etc
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
Post edited by Yulk - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    No. Just no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    No. Just no.

Lol, I knew it. OFC you won't like it. But think about it, why do the devs sell packs in boutique then? and raised gold prices?

The items are trade-able still. I am sure people here won't want gold trading to be removed, such as yourself. I am making a suggestion to make both you, the others and the devs and GMs happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG

• Bobobobobo - Lost City
    Bobobobobo - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    No. Just no.
    Lol, I knew it. OFC you won't like it. But think about it, why do the devs sell packs in boutique then? and raised gold prices?

The items are trade-able still. I am sure people here won't want gold trading to be removed, such as yourself. I am making a suggestion to make both you, the others and the devs and GMs happy.

Because they would earn less $ instead.
    /endthread
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    They bring in a much larget F2P market by giving a means to people who just dont want to spend IRL cash. Those people then still consume Boutique items & shop at the Boutique by buying gold from the AH. Thus people who are willing to pay, often pay even more to sell gold to those that dont so they can make easy in game coin. PWE was actually very smart to allow gold selling as it increases their zen sales.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I am beginning to think Yulik polishes his trolling skills more then playing the game.....b:chuckleb:victory
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If only this would change the absurd coin sinks and other ultra-expensive things in this game... then I'd give it a consideration...

...unfortunately not, so terrible idea.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I am beginning to think Yulik polishes his trolling skills more then playing the game.....b:chuckleb:victory

I think you may be on to something. b:chuckle
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I think you may be on to something. b:chuckle

Agreed. Fun to watch though.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    No. Just no.

x2 ...........................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ManeK - Harshlands
    ManeK - Harshlands Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    nahhhh thats a load of rubbish OP
    Level 100 Blademaster - Diverse (Harshlands)
    Level 97 Cleric - ManeK (Harshlands)
    Level 91 Wizard - lnnocent (Harshlands)
    Level 86 Archer - AimLow (Harshlands)

May The Force Not Be With You!! b:victoryb:laugh
  • Daikataro - Dreamweaver
    Daikataro - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Short answer: it's a DUMB idea
    Long answer: let me explain it with a domino effect

We are no longer able to buy gold with coins, which causes an outrage for boutique items, price rockets to the sky, i can see bronze charms going for 1m, plats for 5m, hypers for 2m, just to name the most popular
    Added to the fact DQ price is gonna go down, people just won't be able to keep up with heavy cash shoppers, so many will quit and migrate to other games, PWI therefore loses potential customers who might buy gold at one point IF they see something they like or gold price is high enough
    Now there is less people to sell junk to, yet cash shoppers want money for their gold, after all that's why they purchased it in first place!
    So now, a bot developer sees a niche in the market, with gold selling removed, he can start his own black market of selling in-game currency for real life cash, how does the bot developer get that? with bot chars that farm money of course! and not just one or two, a whole army of them!
    So now PWI is facing TWO problems, inflation AND bots, both problems grow rampant and suddenly only players who buy cheated coins are able to keep up, and market prices are dictated by whatever price the black market gold is

Now i consider important to clarify i am NOT especulating, i'm a retired player from tibia and i saw that myself, the absolute denial of the developers of legalizing the in-game player-to-player selling of premium-time periods (premium accounts hold a COLOSSAL advantage over free accounts) made people create a black market for both those and in-game currency, which created an overflow of bots farming gold 24/7 to sell it on the black market, the game went from 60k average players online to 25k average players online, ringing any bells?

The posibility of player to player buy/sell of gold is one of the most important aspects of this game, for it keeps the economy alive and it keeps the bots under control, there's no need to have a black market for gold when people can safely trade with it in-game
    Originally Posted by frankieraye: To say that would be a lie, because in regards to the DQ problem, it's something that we're honestly still working on, and something that we believe we can fix.

(8)Don't stop! believing! hold onto that feeling!(8)
  • blindeyesniper
    blindeyesniper Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    If you really want to make money, remove gold trading then. Sure a lot of people here won't agree with me. But go look at other mmorpgs yourselves. There was no gold trading, but people still bought cash shopped items with real money and there wasn't really complains about cash shop. But keep the cash shop items trade-able so. Not everyone like the idea but its really worth it.

First you advise all classes to wear LA to PK and now this. Where do you get those crappy ideas from? Do you randomly decide that you're gonna post a crappy idea one day or what?
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    They bring in a much larget F2P market by giving a means to people who just dont want to spend IRL cash. Those people then still consume Boutique items & shop at the Boutique by buying gold from the AH. Thus people who are willing to pay, often pay even more to sell gold to those that dont so they can make easy in game coin. PWE was actually very smart to allow gold selling as it increases their zen sales.

THIS ^^
    100% Agree
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Because that's when the Cash shoppers TRULY control the game, and that's how to doom your game.

Look, people on these forums complain about PW being cash shop-dependent all the time, and honestly, I laugh at them. This game is NOTHING compared to other MMO's when it comes to cash shop dependency.
    No gold would mean it'd be harder to get a hold of CS items, which means we'd have more CS users, yes. However, that also gives the CS users themselves a much better chance to exploit their CS position. Gold is so general and flexible that anyone can buy it and viola, they can purchase the item they want themselves.
    Now, what happens when non-CS users lose that freedom and that ability to choose how their gold is spent. Well, then the CS-users are deciding how gold is spent. All CS items raise in price because they're more exclusive/harder to come by, this creates a gap between CS users and non-CS users, a couple people pick up on the fact that selling CS items is incredibly profitable and regularly supply the server with whatever CS item they choose, and soon the server has a dependency on the elite-few who CS a ton.

As it is now, I and everyone else can invest in gold, we can obtain the CS item we want via the gold house and don't have to depend on some guy buying it and selling it in his cat shop. It may sound like something small, but it's a big difference. If all CS items are harder to find, then people are willing to spend more when they actually DO find the item; the result is that CS users can jack up the price without much punishment. If gold is no longer available to all, then those that CS regularly develop a monopoly; again, they can jack up the price and there's no real punishment when they do so.

The gold house makes CS much easier to trade and purchase, and it REALLY helps those of us that don't CS. Removing it may be tempting if the company is greedy, but it would only hurt them in the long run. Eventually a monopoly develops among the CSers and they can single-handedly run a server into the ground.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    This game is NOTHING compared to other MMO's when it comes to cash shop dependency.
    Actually this game is way way more expensive than the other f2p I used to play.

And I'm not talking about coin > gold ratio since that varies from server to server, but about the amount of $$$ you need to spend to upgrade your stuff in this one.

The other one didn't have 1$ = 1 gold ratio, it was different but a mount was around $15 as well. Now keep in mind for the following examples, a mount was 300 gold (wasn't named gold but for simplicity's sake I'll call it this) In short in the other one you could buy 300 gold with around 15$

Now, to get an item upgraded to maximum refinement and put the best stats on it (you could customize stats not fixed on an item like in here... ofc to customize you needed cash shop item :P) you had to use around 260 gold which is less than a freaking mount!

If we take sockets into consideration, that's another 120 gold (currency for that game) or so to get max socket number (4), which is still NOTHING compared to this game.

I honestly can't believe you have to spend around $2800 in this one to get one item to +12, not even counting the sockets for upgrading, when in the other $20 was enough to fully upgrade the item. It is completely ridiculous LOL
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    ]This game is NOTHING compared to other MMO's when it comes to cash shop dependency.

golden thief bug
    b:avoid
    grants the power to become 100% immune to an entire class.
    ._.'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Actually this game is way way more expensive than the other f2p I used to play.

And I'm not talking about coin > gold ratio since that varies from server to server, but about the amount of $$$ you need to spend to upgrade your stuff in this one.

The other one didn't have 1$ = 1 gold ratio, it was different but a mount was around $15 as well. Now keep in mind for the following examples, a mount was 300 gold (wasn't named gold but for simplicity's sake I'll call it this) In short in the other one you could buy 300 gold with around 15$

Now, to get an item upgraded to maximum refinement and put the best stats on it (you could customize stats not fixed on an item like in here... ofc to customize you needed cash shop item :P) you had to use around 260 gold which is less than a freaking mount!

If we take sockets into consideration, that's another 120 gold (currency for that game) or so to get max socket number (4), which is still NOTHING compared to this game.

I honestly can't believe you have to spend around $2800 in this one to get one item to +12, not even counting the sockets for upgrading, when in the other $20 was enough to fully upgrade the item. It is completely ridiculous LOL

So you're QQing you cant cashshop your stuff to +12... & that getting such gear is hard & expensive or harder & more expensive than on other games... or am I misunderstanding smth here...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Nah not really QQing... just commenting on the quote I used and to show how greedy are PWE compared to other companies lol
    Quit.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Pros of gold trading:

-Lets non-cashshoppers purchase boutique items
    -Lets cashshoppers purchase coin
    -Increases demand of gold
    -Provides a steady coin sink
    -Gets PW money, which in turn gets us new content/patches
    -Provides a more constant value of gold as well as boutique items (though if PW for some bizarre reason got rid of gold trading, they would make all cashshop items untradeable, defeating the purpose)

Cons of gold trading:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Wall of text

Do you ever type short responses, Longie?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2010
    ahh nvm then xD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG

• VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Nah not really QQing... just commenting on the quote I used and to show how greedy are PWE compared to other companies lol
    Um.. how is endgame +12 gear being hard to get greedy...? I don't want it to be so easily accessible that every single player runs around with it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Um.. how is endgame +12 gear being hard to get greedy...? I don't want it to be so easily accessible that every single player runs around with it...
    Ehh... I don't think you get it...

It's not hard to get, it's only very expensive in terms of RL cash. Since D.Orbs don't drop from anywhere in game, every +12 weapon you see can only be a result of $2800 spent on the game by people... doesn't matter how that person got all the D.Orbs, he/she could even receive them as gift for all I care. Thing is it's just $2800 spent and nothing else.

This is different than stuff like Nirvana which is hard to get and that's from playing the game, actual farming etc. Or Warsoul, if you farm all the mats needed for it. Those two are really end game stuff "hard to get", as it should be, not +12. That one is just greediness on PWE's part. Hope you see the difference.
    Quit.
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Ehh... I don't think you get it...

It's not hard to get, it's only very expensive in terms of RL cash. Since D.Orbs don't drop from anywhere in game, every +12 weapon you see can only be a result of $2800 spent on the game by people... doesn't matter how that person got all the D.Orbs, he/she could even receive them as gift for all I care. Thing is it's just $2800 spent and nothing else.

This is different than stuff like Nirvana which is hard to get and that's from playing the game, actual farming etc. Or Warsoul, if you farm all the mats needed for it. Those two are really end game stuff "hard to get", as it should be, not +12. That one is just greediness on PWE's part. Hope you see the difference.

& you can't farm the same Nirvana for cash to later convert at the gold trader for GOLD at the boutique... & you know.... buy the orbs... Or buy the orbs from merchants with the money you saved in game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited May 2010

And still, the biggest boutique lovers buy quite a few of their Raptures and Uncannies, either directly via catshopping or from the packs. The whole point of having the Rapture and Uncanny chests in the packs would be to attract those who got their end-game gear from the previous sales and now want even more.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    & you can't farm the same Nirvana for cash to later convert at the gold trader for GOLD at the boutique... & you know.... buy the orbs... Or buy the orbs from merchants with the money you saved in game...
    Yes I know what you mean, for a f2p it is hard to get +12 and I agree with that, I'm not saying wrong.

But PWE being greedy with the prices is still valid. Whether a f2p player farmed the **** out of the game to get a +12 from CSers (because you can't get D.Orbs from farming no matter how much/what you farm... only way is to trade from other players), or a CSer bought thousands of $ for a +12... point still stands that there is $2800 spent on the game for every +12 item.

Some noob may spend $2800 on D.Orbs and make a typo and sell them for 6k each instead of 60k... someone else gets them and +12's the weapon... was that hard to get for this player? No. Expensive? Not for him, but for the other definitely. PWE made A LOT (and I mean A LOT for a game) of $$$ and thus greedy? Yep :P
    And still, the biggest boutique lovers buy quite a few of their Raptures and Uncannies, either directly via catshopping or from the packs. The whole point of having the Rapture and Uncanny chests in the packs would be to attract those who got their end-game gear from the previous sales and now want even more.
    QFT

This shows even more greed from PWE, when they added gear-related stuff in boutique with packs.
    Quit.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I think she meant, that the gold comes from PLAYERS. Whenever you buy gold with coins, someone charged zen. To get the Dragon Orbs for a single +12 you need like a couple thousand gold.

That couple thousand gold comes from people who charge. Not through hard work. So it's not "easily obtainable" or "hard to get", it's more like, needing a lot of gold (and thus charges) for ONE SINGLE ITEM to get to +12 for one single player.

I repeat, it doesn't matter if they gave the gold to you for free, for all I care. The point is, that the gold HAS to be charged initially. A lot of gold, mind you. Whether you paid a lot of coin for it is irrelevant.

I can understand a few hundred on this game, but thousands? LOL. b:surrender
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    I think she meant, that the gold comes from PLAYERS. Whenever you buy gold with coins, someone charged zen. To get the Dragon Orbs for a single +12 you need like a couple thousand gold.

That couple thousand gold comes from people who charge. Not through hard work. So it's not "easily obtainable" or "hard to get", it's more like, needing a lot of gold (and thus charges) for ONE SINGLE ITEM to get to +12 for one single player.

I repeat, it doesn't matter if they gave the gold to you for free, for all I care. The point is, that the gold HAS to be charged initially. A lot of gold, mind you. Whether you paid a lot of coin for it is irrelevant.

I can understand a few hundred on this game, but thousands? LOL. b:surrender

b:chuckle you make the point much more clear than she does. I c, though you still could just use mirages to ref, lol those are obtainable in game. I know some that got +8 on 1/2nd tries... that's pretty rare though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aiolos_Star - Sanctuary
    Aiolos_Star - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    First off, I would like to say I love the game it has many good features. One thing that relly bugs me is the gold trading! I spend real money at the boutique, buy what I want. Unfortunately there are some people that are unable to purchase zen and they have to rely on the gold trading until PWI makes it possible for them to purchase it!
    I was astonished to open my lvl 50 stash with a perfect hammer only to find a coin box offering 1 million coins if I purchased another hammer? Now the GM's must realize that is not a gift! I could buy more Zen and sell my gold for more coins than that! So I guess my issue is why even have gold trading! In my opinion it is a way for others to take advantage of the ones unable to purchase gold! Coins are getting harder to get everyday with the "bot" problem! I really do not want to have to start paying real money just for armor repairs and skill upgrades! Put a cap on gold trading and make it fair for everyone!
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I was astonished to open my lvl 50 stash with a perfect hammer only to find a coin box offering 1 million coins if I purchased another hammer? Now the GM's must realize that is not a gift!

no, it's a contribution. on your part, to the stability of the in-game economy. the chest of coins exists to ensure a minimum exchange rate of coins to gold; it works by there being absolutely bazillions of those chests out there. if gold ever got cheap enough to make it worth buying the hammers to open those chests, the market would be flooded with coins, shoring up the price of gold. (or, if you will, devaluing coin. same difference.)

by holding onto the chest, you're part of the security blanket for in-game gold prices; congratulations, you're making a (tiny) contribution towards keeping the game working the way the developers wanted it to.

i'm not entirely sure why PWE decided to set a floor on the gold price like that, or why they decided to set it where it is, but they did. the chests are much too deliberate a thing to be accidental, so i'm sure somebody worked out the economical math there. (they'd better have, is all i'm saying.)
    I could buy more Zen and sell my gold for more coins than that!

yes, you could. and if that ever were not the case, thousands of players would be smashing open chests until it became the case again, and for whatever reason the developers want that to be so. i don't know their reasoning (i wouldn't mind hearing it), but i'm pretty sure they're not deliberately trying to kill their own game.
    So I guess my issue is why even have gold trading!

lolwut?

the two issues are unrelated. gold trading can be a useful idea even if the minimum price for gold is fixed at a pre-set level. in fact, it's even possible that it's a more useful idea that way --- the fixed price floor is one measure of market stability in the game, a form of regulation keeping the gold market from going too far haywire in that one direction.

you could argue that the price floor is set at the wrong level, and if you had some good logic or numbers behind that argument, you could even be right. (the devels could adjust the price of the hammers, as needed or desired.) but arguing that the price floor makes the gold market pointless doesn't seem to make any sense, to me.
    In my opinion it is a way for others to take advantage of the ones unable to purchase gold! Coins are getting harder to get everyday with the "bot" problem!

if the game has a bot problem, then that problem needs to be fixed. fixed QUICKLY and stomped on HARD, in my opinion, even. but eliminating gold trading would not necessarily help --- gold trading is a coin (and gold!) sink, meaning it helps mitigate the effects of botters and gold farmers. remember, the problem with botting is it exacerbates in-game inflation, flooding the game with coin.

besides, the gold trading house is THE obvious way your average botter would go about getting something useful out of their coin --- and it's COMPLETELY under PWE's control. they can adjust transaction fees to make botting less profitable, track who's making suspiciously large or frequent transactions (to try and identify botters), and generally both monitor and control the flow of the various in-game currencies between players. it'd be a hugely useful tool in controlling such problems, is all i'm saying. i'm not sure if they're actually using it that way, but i would be if i were them.

so i guess my answer to the question in your post title is, i don't know for sure, but i'd like to think they're too smart not to. it's a pretty obvious thing to keep an eye on, after all.
    I really do not want to have to start paying real money just for armor repairs and skill upgrades! Put a cap on gold trading and make it fair for everyone!

i'm sorry, but i don't see how such a cap would help keep armor repairs and skill upgrades affordable. repair costs and skill prices are paid to NPCs, which means they're already set and fixed by PWE to begin with. they only go up if more advanced armors (that are more expensive to repair) become more commonly used in game, or if new (and more expensive) skills get added in expansions. messing with gold trading doesn't seem to have any very direct link to either of those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.