PK drops

Options

Comments

• AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think you'll have to, you know, actually explain your point here. Because to me, a vulture is someone who steals the drops of a person that they didn't kill. This system would keep people from being able to do that, therefore vultures would no longer exist. Do you have some other definition of vulture or something?
    Looking at his posts? He's probably thinking of vultures as in-"any of various large diurnal birds of prey having naked heads and weak claws and feeding chiefly on carrion". That still doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but oh well.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    skyxiii wrote: »
    Hm, I still stand by my opinion.
    Something drops on the ground, it should be up for grabs for everyone.

Say I do 90% damage on someone then some random sin de-stealths and finishes my target.
    So it's fair that the sin gets the drops?
    Now what? Want to ask for a system where the timer goes to the one who deals majority damage?

I mean look at how that one game with amazons, barbarians, sorceresses, necromancers, assassins, druids, and paladins did it. It was one of the most successful online games and all drops went to whoever picked it up first. This system just makes sense to me.

But to make a system like this work for PWI, I think the best way to go about doing things is this:
    No timers on drops, but since blue names can't pk or be pked, they shouldn't be able to pick up pk drops.

I had assumed that by a timer OP meant a similar one to a mob drop timer. When a mob drops an item then it can only be picked up by whoever did the most damage to the mob and his squad.

Oh, and as successful as D2 was, I'd say the drop distribution (or lack thereof) was one of its flaws.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Thedarkrealm - Lost City
    Thedarkrealm - Lost City Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    agreed, there needs to be a drop timer on pk drops. I got the kill shot on a few people but either did it on my veno or used my 1 range barb attack or TE and missed the pick up to someone else.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I agree BUT only if they implement a system where if the killers level is X amount more than the victim nothing drops.

Nothing worse than high level n00bs farming newbs for drops
    White names don't drop anything usually and if they do it's usually just a pot or something.

And low levels don't have anything of value to drop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sanctam - Dreamweaver
    Sanctam - Dreamweaver Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    White names don't drop anything usually and if they do it's usually just a pot or something.

And low levels don't have anything of value to drop.

I've dropped my TT80 wep a couple of times while white named. Luckily it was just a couple of friends messing around, so I got it back. But still, it happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think you'll have to, you know, actually explain your point here. Because to me, a vulture is someone who steals the drops of a person that they didn't kill. This system would keep people from being able to do that, therefore vultures would no longer exist. Do you have some other definition of vulture or something?

HAY GAIS LET'S GO PKING!!
    vulture4.jpg
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    vulture.gif

It's a fist Blademaster vulture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's a fist Blademaster vulture.

I saw that picture and was too horrified to use it, personally.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I saw that picture and was too horrified to use it, personally.

I have no shame, obviously. b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    Chobsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Agree agreee agreee the other day some bloodred veno was running around and I had to chase her to finish her off, on the last blow she dropped her mount and a tome. I was surprised and kinda excited until some random passing level 40 cleric ran by and took both of them b:cryb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
    "Did that 95 BM just kill himself to your Herc? Mmm..Yep"
    "Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
    "So that Hercules guy from the disney movie really aged well.."
    ~Chobsi b:cute
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Um...what? We're saying the killer/the squad the killer is in gets first shot at the items, not the person PKed. What are you talking about?

Ehh... this whole thread is about a timer on an item. What I'm saying is: when I drop an item while waking, there is a timer on the item, but I can pick it back up without the timer. Yes? Yes. So (I have to repeat?!) if I get killed close to town, i release corpse and come back to the place where I was killed in less than a minute and bam, I pick up my drop!!! Can you understand it now??? What you want is no timer on the item, but a direct flight of the item to your inventory. You want to be the only person to be able to pick up the item, not to have a timer on the item...b:surrender

Also, you're saying a squad can pick up... What if you're in a bh squad at the end of dungeon... You kill somebody that just left squad, the person drops awesomeness, your squad member picks it up.b:shocked Then what? What if you're in a squad with a friend who suddenly gets greedy and decided to take the item and not give it to you?! Again, you don't want a timer, you want yourself to be able to pick the item up, and yourself only.

No, I'm not for the idea. I point out your faulty reasoning. Learn2Read&Thinkb:shutup

Which, if you read the thread, is what this thread is asking for.

Also, I agree with the OP. I'd be pissed if some random person took my drops after I worked hard to kill someone.

Edit: I can type in an obnoxious color too.

No, the thread is asking for a timer, while people want the sole ability to be able to pick up the item when they pk. They want to be able to get the item and nobody else. This is NOT what I want. So no, your first sentence makes no sense.

Anybody would be pissed if that happened, but life is life and it ain't fair.

How is purple obnoxious? You can type in an obnoxious color too? Oh, wow, cool!b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ehh... this whole thread is about a timer on an item. What I'm saying is: when I drop an item while waking, there is a timer on the item, but I can pick it back up without the timer. Yes? Yes. So (I have to repeat?!) if I get killed close to town, i release corpse and come back to the place where I was killed in less than a minute and bam, I pick up my drop!!! Can you understand it now??? What you want is no timer on the item, but a direct flight of the item to your inventory. You want to be the only person to be able to pick up the item, not to have a timer on the item...b:surrender
    Again, that's not what the thread is asking for. What the thread is asking for is that whoever does the most damage or kills the player gets a timer on the item.

Also, you're saying a squad can pick up... What if you're in a bh squad at the end of dungeon... You kill somebody that just left squad, the person drops awesomeness, your squad member picks it up.b:shocked Then what? What if you're in a squad with a friend who suddenly gets greedy and decided to take the item and not give it to you?! Again, you don't want a timer, you want yourself to be able to pick the item up, and yourself only.
    Your scenario fails. In a BH the only people who would be close enough to grab the item would be members of the squad anyway so whether or not there's a timer on the item doesn't matter. A timer is only of use in world PK where, currently, anyone can run up and take an item that drops from someone. With a timer it would mean that the one who got the kill would have first shot at the drops and even if they were in a squad having to 'compete' with at most 5 other players for a drop is better than having to race everyone who happens to be close enough.

No, I'm not for the idea. I point out your faulty reasoning. Learn2Read&Think
    And we're pointing out your faulty understanding.

No, the thread is asking for a timer, while people want the sole ability to be able to pick up the item when they pk. They want to be able to get the item and nobody else. This is NOT what I want. So no, your first sentence makes no sense.
    The only ones who wouldn't be for the idea are those who hang around red name PKers waiting for something to drop so they can steal it.

How is purple obnoxious? You can type in an obnoxious color too? Oh, wow, cool!
    Dark text on a dark background. Figure it out yourself.
    i think PWI need to put timer on pk drops im geting **** off of killing someone and not get the drop QQing coz i not got one pk drop i had good sht dropb:angry

Read the part in red. Learn to read and comprehend. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Again, that's not what the thread is asking for. What the thread is asking for is that whoever does the most damage or kills the player gets a timer on the item.

The only ones who wouldn't be for the idea are those who hang around red name PKers waiting for something to drop so they can steal it.
    Wouldn't melee folks be against it too? First, ranged folks have a much easier time doing the most damage. Second, it rewards ranged folks for ganking a target who doesn't even know they're there, or kiting a melee so they can't fight back.

Here are the PvP kill scenarios I can think of where both participants are fighting each other (a "fair fight"):

Melee vs. Melee: Winner can easily pick up loot.
    Melee vs. Ranged: Winner can easily pick up loot.
    Ranged vs. Melee: Winner can easily pick up loot.
    Ranged vs. Ranged: -

Now the scenarios where the participants are not fighting each other ("unfair" fights):

Melee vs. unaware/fleeing Melee: Winner can easily pick up loot.
    Melee vs. unaware/fleeing Ranged: Winner can easily pick up loot.
    Ranged vs. unaware/fleeing Melee: -
    Ranged vs. unaware/fleeing Ranged: -

The proposed change would turn everything into "Winner can easily pick up loot." Basically, it looks to me like the current system does a pretty good job at rewarding most of the "fair fight" situations. The proposed change does help one more "fair" scenario, but at the cost of rewarding people in two of the "unfair" scenarios. On that metric, the negatives of the proposal would seem to outweigh the positives if you want to promote PvP and not ganking.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I had some Psychic ganked my Wizard with a barb the other day, I logged on my Cleric and killed him. He dropped an almost full set of TT70, a TT70 Soul Orb, and a few other items. All I was able to pick up was the weapon... >.>

Timer please? b:sadb:cry
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wouldn't melee folks be against it too? First, ranged folks have a much easier time doing the most damage. Second, it rewards ranged folks for ganking a target who doesn't even know they're there, or kiting a melee so they can't fight back.

Here are the PvP kill scenarios I can think of where both participants are fighting each other (a "fair fight"):

Now the scenarios where the participants are not fighting each other ("unfair" fights):

The proposed change would turn everything into "Winner can easily pick up loot." Basically, it looks to me like the current system does a pretty good job at rewarding most of the "fair fight" situations. The proposed change does help one more "fair" scenario, but at the cost of rewarding people in two of the "unfair" scenarios. On that metric, the negatives of the proposal would seem to outweigh the positives if you want to promote PvP and not ganking.

Eh, well technically if a ranged class does the most damage then it's 'their' kill (I suppose 'KSing' could become a problem). As for ganking unaware players, if it's a white name then the chance of them dropping something is very small and if it's a red name then it's part of the risk they accepted when they decided to PK (despite the fact that SL has made PKing almost risk free). =/

And a ranged class is supposed to kite. If they do what they're supposed to then they wouldn't be that close to whoever they kill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
  • SlashSin - Lost City
    SlashSin - Lost City Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not enough time to read all the other posts... But I agree >9000% Especially outside of West Gate. Little blue names infect that area like a plague. Whenever I pop out of stealth to pwn someone they swarm around me in hopes of getting my hard-earned pk drops. b:angry

However, if PWI were to introduce some sort of item that allowed me to kill blue names... Everything would be fine =) The satisfaction of 1-shotting 5+ noobs with one aoe would outweigh the frustration of losing a pk drop. I'd be more than willing to pay $50 for such an item b:pleased
    The only sin to go from 1 to 102 completely nude b:cool
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    @Varen imma leave alone you answers to what I wrote and will just comment on your input...

The thread is asking for a timer on the item ONLY for the killer?! What is the point of the timer then? Just make a thread how items should go to your inventory right away. I think it would be easier with the codes rather than putting a timer on the item ONLY for the PKer. Logic...b:surrender

Your scenario fails. In a BH the only people who would be close enough to grab the item would be members of the squad anyway so whether or not there's a timer on the item doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter? So in case of PKing in a dungeon you do not care if the item goes to you or your random squad mates? Riiiteee. Also, making distinugished coding for Pk drops outside and in dungeon can be kinda confusing.

A timer is only of use in world PK where, currently, anyone can run up and take an item that drops from someone. With a timer it would mean that the one who got the kill would have first shot at the drops and even if they were in a squad having to 'compete' with at most 5 other players for a drop is better than having to race everyone who happens to be close enough.

Sometimes there are more people in your squad then 'all those who happen to be close enough'. Yes, when you're Pking at West Gate, sure, but when out in the open, srsly, how many players are there just waiting to steal a drop that you should get?!?!

Hehe, not if somebody tells me that what I'm writing is exactly what the thread is about:) I'm not for timer, so I don't like people telling me that I am. No faulty understanding here.b:thanks

WHAT I WROTE BEFORE: "No, the thread is asking for a timer, while people want the sole ability to be able to pick up the item when they pk. They want to be able to get the item and nobody else. This is NOT what I want. So no, your first sentence makes no sense."The only ones who wouldn't be for the idea are those who hang around red name PKers waiting for something to drop so they can steal it.

What does your comment have to do with what I wrote about the wrong topic of the thread? All I'm saying, start a thread "I want the PK drops to go automatically to my inventory", instead of "I want a timer ONLY for me". And yes, I camp red names to steal their drops and they are dumb/weak enough not to kill me when they see me 'hanging around'.

How is purple obnoxious? You can type in an obnoxious color too? Oh, wow, cool!
    Dark text on a dark background. Figure it out yourself.

Um... no, I can't figure it out. Dark text on dark background...Hmmm... for me it's very much readable. If it ain't readable for you... b:sad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jason - Harshlands
    i think PWI need to put timer on pk drops im geting **** off of killing someone and not get the drop QQing coz i not got one pk drop i had good sht drop

Read the part in red. Learn to read and comprehend.

This was not directed at me, but I will take the chance to comment. He supported the thread, what is wrong with that now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

Go play in traffic. You think it's fair? Even in melee vs whatever, you are fighting and focusing on killing and staying alive while the blue name is there holding down the pickup drop key. You don't know if the person will drop for sure or if there are anyone else around that will jump on you, blue names doesn't have to worry about that.
  • GothicAngeI - Heavens Tear
    GothicAngeI - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Whenever I pop out of stealth to pwn someone they swarm around me in hopes of getting my hard-earned pk drops.

Contradiction in terms there isnt it ? b:laugh
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The thread is asking for a timer on the item ONLY for the killer?! What is the point of the timer then? Just make a thread how items should go to your inventory right away. I think it would be easier with the codes rather than putting a timer on the item ONLY for the PKer. Logic...b:surrender

Why in the world would that be easier? They already have the code usable for mobs, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to just move it over to PKing as well.
    It doesn't matter? So in case of PKing in a dungeon you do not care if the item goes to you or your random squad mates? Riiiteee. Also, making distinugished coding for Pk drops outside and in dungeon can be kinda confusing.

Just as when a mold drops and the party is set to random, you have to trust your squad members to be honest. Sometimes that isn't the case, but dungeon PKing often has nothing to do with getting drops anyway.
    Sometimes there are more people in your squad then 'all those who happen to be close enough'. Yes, when you're Pking at West Gate, sure, but when out in the open, srsly, how many players are there just waiting to steal a drop that you should get?!?!

When a drop is distributed randomly to squad members, it only takes into account the people that are within map range of the person who picked up the drop anyway. So this point is pretty much moot. And this could happen anywhere, and happens often. Just because it's not as prevalent in other areas as at West Gate doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    What does your comment have to do with what I wrote about the wrong topic of the thread? All I'm saying, start a thread "I want the PK drops to go automatically to my inventory", instead of "I want a timer ONLY for me". And yes, I camp red names to steal their drops and they are dumb/weak enough not to kill me when they see me 'hanging around'.

You're on a PvP server aren't you? This issue is just as bad in PvE servers, when you could be a bluename wandering past, happen to be nearby when someone drops something nice, and grab it up before the PKer could get to the drop. There are also PKKers, who will ONLY kill rednames, and if you happen to be nearby while they're targeting a redname, why would they feel the need to target you?
    Um... no, I can't figure it out. Dark text on dark background...Hmmm... for me it's very much readable. If it ain't readable for you... b:sad

It's not unreadable, just more difficult on the eyes than a lighter color.

To Solandri:

You're assuming ranged people use no skills to keep melee classes at a distance, especially archers with the damage reduction at melee range. And in PvP, there's really nothing such as an "unfair" fight. The people who joined a PvP server knew (or should have known, but that's another thread) that they would be killed once they hit 30, and PvE people chose to be in PK mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skyxiii
    skyxiii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Since no one's addressing the issue, fine.
    Place timers on PK drops. I'll launch a double sparked Headhunt (triple if it isn't nerfed to de-stealth the sin) with 58+ ATK Lvs from stealth on your target that's near death.
    I'll then loot the drops.
    Last step is to go right back into stealth.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Place timers on PK drops. I'll launch a double sparked Headhunt (triple if it isn't nerfed to de-stealth the sin) with 58+ ATK Lvs from stealth on your target that's near death.

Or you could stealth next to a person that's about to die, and pick up all the drops as soon as they die, with the way it is now.

...Because the situation you specified is so much more plausible than mine, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Options

The code already exists for PvE. Change it a bit to make it apply to PvP as well. I think it would be easier to than making a new line of code so items automatically go to the killer's inventory (by the way, coding isn't even that difficult unless you're working with hundreds or more lines (seriously, a few lines of code compared to the millions that already make up the game is nothing)).
    Your scenario fails. In a BH the only people who would be close enough to grab the item would be members of the squad anyway so whether or not there's a timer on the item doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter. The timer would go to whoever made the kill as well as anyone who was in the person's squad (same as in PvE). In an instance the only people who would be anywhere near the drops would be other members of your squad. With or without a timer they'd be able to grab the drops. Separate codes aren't needed; does the drop distribution change at all in and out of instances when you kill a mob?
    A timer is only of use in world PK where, currently, anyone can run up and take an item that drops from someone. With a timer it would mean that the one who got the kill would have first shot at the drops and even if they were in a squad having to 'compete' with at most 5 other players for a drop is better than having to race everyone who happens to be close enough.

Again, anyone in your squad close enough to grab the drops could take them whether or not there was a timer. If there was a timer then it would keep anyone who wasn't in the squad from stealing the drops. How about an example?

You're in a squad of 6 killing someone. There's a random blue name hanging around. The person you killed drops a weapon.

Without a timer: There are 7 people who can grab the weapon, everyone in your squad and the random person who didn't do anything.

With a timer: There are 6 people who can grab the weapon, everyone in your squad. The blue name won't be able to get it because there's a timer on the drop.

And I'll say this again since you don't seem to get it; when the only people close enough to get the drops are in your squad then the existence of a timer does not matter.

Hehe, not if somebody tells me that what I'm writing is exactly what the thread is about:) I'm not for timer, so I don't like people telling me that I am. No faulty understanding here.b:thanks
    1) What you're talking about is not 'exactly what the thread is about'.

2)I'm not saying that you want a timer; I wouldn't be arguing with you otherwise. That would be like you saying 2+2=4 and me telling you that you're wrong and 2+2=4.
    WHAT I WROTE BEFORE: "No, the thread is asking for a timer, while people want the sole ability to be able to pick up the item when they pk. They want to be able to get the item and nobody else. This is NOT what I want. So no, your first sentence makes no sense."

The timer is so that the PKer can take whatever drops from whoever he killed instead of some random person who just happened to be closer. Kind of like in PvE where mob drops have a short time where the only ones who can pick up the drops are the person or squad who killed the mob. Why shouldn't a PKer get first dibs on PK drops? They made the kill so they 'deserve' the drop more than some blue name riding on a red name's ****.
    And you've just proved my point. You're too weak to kill anyone yourself so you just stand next to red names so you an grab what drops. Because you steal PK drops you don't want a timer which would prevent you from stealing. b:bye

And I was replying to your comment that you're against the idea of a timer for PK drops.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jason - Harshlands
    i think PWI need to put timer on pk drops im geting **** off of killing someone and not get the drop QQing coz i not got one pk drop i had good sht drop

Read the part in red. Learn to read and comprehend.

This was not directed at me, but I will take the chance to comment. He supported the thread, what is wrong with that now?

Actually, he's not supporting the thread, he made the thread. What he's asking for is a timer so that he can actually have a chance at getting drops since people like you flock like vultures to anywhere there might be a PK war going on.

Which is why I specify 'whoever kills or does the most damage'. Similar to the PvE drop timer actually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Can we not have a 'who can have the most unreadable font' war? b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Options

b:surrenderb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    b:surrenderb:surrender

I could always post like this....then I win mwahahaha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You're assuming ranged people use no skills to keep melee classes at a distance, especially archers with the damage reduction at melee range. And in PvP, there's really nothing such as an "unfair" fight. The people who joined a PvP server knew (or should have known, but that's another thread) that they would be killed once they hit 30, and PvE people chose to be in PK mode.
    Glad to see people have been pretty reasonable in their responses. I just tossed that out there as a devil's advocate and for feedback.

It sounds to me that the issue has more to do with blue names picking up PK loot. On the PvP servers, if someone steals your loot, you can (as PvP server folks are so fond of pointing out) PK the person who did it. Except you can't do that to blue named people. Similarly for PvE servers, blue named folks should be able to watch as spectators, but not interact by picking up loot.

For white/red named people, the notion of protecting loot through a game mechanic seems contradictory to the concept of open PvP. You decided to go PvP for the free-for-all nature of the combat, but you don't want loot to be free-for-all? Why one but not the other?
    They already have the [who did the most damage] code usable for mobs, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to just move it over to PKing as well.
    I've run across this problem when coding games before. Very few mobs heal themselves, and their damage table gets reset when they lose all aggro and reset.

Players OTOH heal themselves pretty prolifically, and don't have an aggro table which resets if certain conditions are met. So how do you calculate who did the most damage? If he gets a 2k point heal, does that eliminate 2k points of the most recent damage? The oldest damage? Split among all the people who damaged him? If he gets killed after a charm tick, does the person who contributed the most damage before the charm tick get any credit? After all, it was his damage which put the charm into cooldown and allowed the person to be killed. How about the archer who used STA and reduced the person's max hp. Does he get any credit? Or the veno who tossed on Amp?

The "most damage" code works for mobs because they're plentiful, and it's easier to move on to a different mob than to bicker over kill stealing. It's not so simple with players, especially clever ones who can probably figure out ways to exploit it so they'll be sure their friend will get credit if they are killed and be able to pick up any items they drop.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You have a point with the most damage concept, I was thinking about that as well, especially when sky talked about doing a massive amount of damage to the player right before they die. Since the log counts all the damage you would have done, even if it's more than the HP of the player, would that count towards the most damage? I never cared enough to test it out on a mob. Now I kind of want to.

I assumed it would take the most damage absolutely, not relative to the HP of the person. Therefore, if a charm ticks, the damage before would still count. If someone did 1300 damage and then the charm ticked, then they got the person to 1650 HP and someone else hit the rest in one shot, the first person would get the kill since they did the most damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options

Whoever wins... my eyesight loses.

Also, I approve of the drop timer, however, it should be made more difficult to drop certain things (e.g. weapons) outside of the bad pk lock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neamtuuuu
    neamtuuuu Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I Love Pk Drops!