I are 89 D= Demon or Sage? @_@

NekoCreeper - Heavens Tear
NekoCreeper - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
edited May 2010 in Archer
So like, I totally hit level 89 and I didn't even know it. I don't know whether to go Demon or Sage. I PK sometimes and like to do good damage. So... Which is better for me, Sage or Demon? b:cute
Post edited by NekoCreeper - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The consensus is that Demon is better for PvP. However, note that the skills that make demon amazing are either expensive, hard to get, or both. The only level 89 skill that really stands out is Quickshot, which can cost upwards of 15-20m.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You kinda have to go demon if you wanna pvp. Sage cant really compete in pvp at all against any class unless you get really silly gear rank8 +12 weapon or similar >.<

Archers have enough trouble killing people around same lvl/gear as it is, going sage you nerf your self even more. You have 12% less crit and missing 30% attack speed from Quick shoot, have fun trying to kill arcane users with 10k-20+ phy def when you only have 32-36%+ something crit and slowest attack speed in the game. The extra weapon dmg sage gets from bow mastery isn't really that noticeable either.

Sage has a few skills thats useful for pve and TW, thats about it.

On top of being superior in pvp, Demon is also a better DD in pve. So there is a reason why 90% of archers go demon - developers kinda screwed up on making the 2 paths balanced. I would prefer if they adjusted sage a bit, kinda pointless as it is now, everyone have to pick demon or they be nerfed.
  • Zhadi - Archosaur
    Zhadi - Archosaur Posts: 695 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Demon skills are totally bad ****.

The thing about sage is that single shots will probably outdamage single shots from demon because thats mostly what sage does. It adds either extra damage... or extends certain effects that the skill originally has. However, higher single shots doesn't mean outdamaging. The attack speed and extra critical hit rate you get from demon will make up for that and take it to a whole new level of DPS.
    What makes demon so special is the special extra effects that proc once the skills are used. For example the one TigerLil talked about. Quickshot. Has a 50% chance to increase attack speed by 30% which is like having a demon spark whenever you want.
    Just like that skill, there are many more which makes demon completely overpowered once you get up higher level.

Skills that sage archers will argue for are:
    sharp tooth arrow and bow mastery and frost arrow

Bow Mastery:
    demon gets 75% weapon damage +1% critical hit rate
    sage gets 90% weapon damage

then you think.... 15% weapon damage is a lot!
    in reality, it's not as much as most sage archers claim it is. here i did the math on what the damage would be like with rank 8 bow +12
    the reason i did such a high refine level with such a great bow was to try and justify for sage. Higher base numbers means higher differences in %. Anyway, here are the numbers

Sage Mastery: P-Attack = 13482-18281
    Demon Mastery: P-Attack = 13050-17696

You can see that there is a 400-500 damage difference with a +12 rank8 bow..
    I can't imagine how low the difference truly is with an average bow with around +6-7 which is what most average people in this game can afford. Obviously, it's not that big of a difference.

I'm not saying sage mastery is bad. Actually it's amazing. Better than demon mastery, but it doesn't make up for every other skill where demon is better.

Sharp Tooth Arrow:
    Sage: Reduces maximum HP by 20%
    Demon: Reduces maximum HP by 16% and increases critical hit rate by 10% for 15 seconds.

This is a good skill for pvp as well as pve. In most ocassions, it is necessary to get past a barb's charm. When it comes to world bosses... or just bosses in general, it reduces the time it takes to kill it by.

It's very obvious that sage sharp tooth arrow would be preferred by other squad members in any ocassions, however, when it comes to PK, I, myself, would prefer to get that extra critical boost. It all depends what you like.

Frost Arrow:
    sage: turns all physical damage into water damage
    demon: has a chance to cast without using chi, instead, gaining extra chi.

sage archers will claim that its super important to take down heavies, however, an extra magic attack is not necessary when archers already have enough metal skills to keep spamming. Also, i assume that not many archers have tried normal shooting a heavy armor since its always looked down upon by many, saying that those shots will do absolutely nothing. I deal around 1.5k-2k damage per shot to a heavy armor my level and similarly equipped. That will help your dps a bit and then break through their charm with metal skills right afterward. anyway, just to finish things up... an extra magic attack is not really necessary to kill a heavy armor.

Those are honestly the only skills that sage has which i would consider going sage for... all other skills are either unimportant and negligible for both or demon takes them by a long shot.
  • brownflamer
    brownflamer Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Just listen to uncle brown and go demon b:mischievous
    PS......I'm half-joking b:mischievous
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Do whatever suits your style best.

Obviously factor in the Demon/Sage skills, but don't listen to all these "OMG DEMONZ ONLY" people. If your character is more sagelike, so sage.

I'm going sage, and I plan to enjoy all the various idiotic reactions leveled at me from the demon camp. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Trobneziuq - Dreamweaver
    Trobneziuq - Dreamweaver Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    As I have posted on our privite forums.. i will now share the wisdom and end all disputes.

Demon is better then sage archer because...... hell has more herbs. Heaven for the lose.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Do whatever suits your style best.

Obviously factor in the Demon/Sage skills, but don't listen to all these "OMG DEMONZ ONLY" people. If your character is more sagelike, so sage.

I'm going sage, and I plan to enjoy all the various idiotic reactions leveled at me from the demon camp. :P

Why would he destroy a perfectly good archer with the argument "its more sagelike". Thats like going sage because they fairy matches your pretty fashion. Or going sage because you wanna be "different".

If the guy wants to pvp, he will destroy his character that he lvled to 89+ by going sage.

If he doesn't give a **** about pvp and only enjoys grinding and farming mainly than for sure he can go sage since it doesn't really matter.

But i dislike when people that have no clue about pvp-balance endgame tries to convince new players that sage is just as good as demon and its all about "playstyle". This is not something the "OMG DEMONZ ONLY" people just made up. In terms of archers cultivation its simple fact if you look at how the developers created the skills.

Demon = pvp oriented

Dont even consider sage if you wanna pvp unless you can afford a ridiculously refined endgame weapon. As an average geared archer you cant kill anyone at higher lvls unless you have demon quick shoot + maxed out crit from buffs.
  • /NiKi - Lost City
    /NiKi - Lost City Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    why people say ''destroy char'' cuz they went sage..theres no wrong or right pick,sage and demon both have something good and something bad,now just depends which one u prefer more.
    soon there will be cs item to change culti sage/demon so they can change it if they dont like current one..plus there are rumors demon spark will be nerfed too
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    sage because they fairy matches your pretty fashion.
    b:surrender Guilty b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Why would he destroy a perfectly good archer with the argument "its more sagelike". Thats like going sage because they fairy matches your pretty fashion. Or going sage because you wanna be "different".

If the guy wants to pvp, he will destroy his character that he lvled to 89+ by going sage.

If he doesn't give a **** about pvp and only enjoys grinding and farming mainly than for sure he can go sage since it doesn't really matter.

But i dislike when people that have no clue about pvp-balance endgame tries to convince new players that sage is just as good as demon and its all about "playstyle". This is not something the "OMG DEMONZ ONLY" people just made up. In terms of archers cultivation its simple fact if you look at how the developers created the skills.

Demon = pvp oriented

Dont even consider sage if you wanna pvp unless you can afford a ridiculously refined endgame weapon. As an average geared archer you cant kill anyone at higher lvls unless you have demon quick shoot + maxed out crit from buffs.

I dont think it needs to be quite that 1-sided. Demon quickshot is great and it is important to have a high attack rate for a soul shatter debuff, but a sage archer can use Relentless Courage.

Yes sage bow-mastery "only" adds like 3% more damage over demon... blazing adds "only" like 1 or 2%... the tooth takes off "only" like 4% more HP. If you add those all up and you have like 8 or 9% higher effective base damage than demon at the cost of like 12% crit. That's basically the difference between having a +7 bow and a +8.

There is definitely a tradeoff between having higher effective base damage versus higher chance to crit. It is obviously a bad decision to have 50% lower damage for a 100% chance to crit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    how many times do you really get to triple spark in mass PvP?

plus, it's not like Sages can't replace its bonus with a genie skill. the spark is not a cult changing decision. what is a cult changing decision is the skill set.

is 12% crit bonus win? is faster attack speed from quickshot win? is wingspan's autoshell win? is lightning strike's 100% hitrate win? is faster barrage win?

or

is higher take aim win? is 25% more weapon damage win? is 20% sharptooth win? is faster thunderous channeling win? is better chi gain win?

etc etc etc

you tell me.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    is 25% more weapon damage win?

time to go back to archer 101, 90 - 75 = 15, not 25.

but often i wonder, what wouldve happened if i went sage like i originally intended to. im really hoping that cult chaging process doesnt have a huge cost/cooldown on its use, id like to experiment a tad with my other side. i originally changed due to peer pressure... but itstempting to see if the grass is really greener on the other side. or it could just be a lawn full of dog **** hidden amongst it out of sight.

ast, why havent you recommended they take the 'neutral' cultivation yet, that give's no rat's **** about heaven and hell's eternal struggle?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • LauraAngel - Lost City
    LauraAngel - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    time to go back to archer 101, 90 - 75 = 15, not 25.

but often i wonder, what wouldve happened if i went sage like i originally intended to. im really hoping that cult chaging process doesnt have a huge cost/cooldown on its use, id like to experiment a tad with my other side. i originally changed due to peer pressure... but itstempting to see if the grass is really greener on the other side. or it could just be a lawn full of dog **** hidden amongst it out of sight.

ast, why havent you recommended they take the 'neutral' cultivation yet, that give's no rat's **** about heaven and hell's eternal struggle?

The grass is no greener unless you pay $5,000+ dollars.

If you have demon skills they will be gone when you make the change.

how many times do you really get to triple spark in mass PvP?

plus, it's not like Sages can't replace its bonus with a genie skill. the spark is not a cult changing decision. what is a cult changing decision is the skill set.

is 12% crit bonus win? is faster attack speed from quickshot win? is wingspan's autoshell win? is lightning strike's 100% hitrate win? is faster barrage win?

or

is higher take aim win? is 25% more weapon damage win? is 20% sharptooth win? is faster thunderous channeling win? is better chi gain win?

etc etc etc

you tell me.

You actually can spark a lot in PvP. With spark pots or awaken you have 3 sparks many times.

When it comes down to charmed PvP, damage only matters if you can 2 shot someone, or if you have enough attack speed.

Since Archers dont deal 3,000+ HP Damage consistently without a +12 bow, you need to critical, and have attack speed working on your side.
  • Lyzzern - Lost City
    Lyzzern - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    If you don't oracle or hyper, I don't see the reason why you're only thinking about it now, and not at earlier 8x
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2508297003&dateline=1263853257[/SIGPIC]
    Asoteric Runewolf just pwned you b:victory

(Yet another player who has quit this game :>; See you in Forsaken World)
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    The grass is no greener unless you pay $5,000+ dollars.

If you have demon skills they will be gone when you make the change.
    from what ive heard, it just costs extra to bring skills over. id wish theyd give us further insight on this if its really going to happen etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010

Demon = pvp oriented

The fact that you even used the word "destroy" in your post proves my point and your bias. :P

The problem with demon enthusiasts is that they assume, blindly, that every archer and their mother wants to do serious PVP and be statistically the "best." Then they rage/QQ because people go sage anyway. Why? Here's a spoiler: it's not because we're "stupid" or we're ignoring the skills.

Maybe it's because we don't care about being perfect? Maybe because there is no realistically-obtainable definition of "perfect" on this game anyay? Maybe it's because serious PVP isn't what we care about? Or maybe it's because we just want the sage sprite for stylistic reasons?

Who cares?? If I want a Frost Arrow that does water damage, I'm going to get a Frost Arrow that does water damage. Why, exactly, should I put up with people telling me I'm "destroying" my character just because of how I feel like playing him?

As Ast pointed out, the differences aren't as strong as you might think. Sage has plenty of skills that are useful, and I plan to make them work for me. My char will be competent in PVE, which is the main thing I care about. If I ever PVP, it'll be to team up with a few friends to gank people from leading factions together. :P

So yeah... I lol'd at "destroy."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    you are destroying your character by going sage! male archers already look ****, they dont need a white, girly fairy to finish the ensemble!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The problem with demon enthusiasts is that they assume, blindly, that every archer and their mother wants to do serious PVP and be statistically the "best." Then they rage/QQ because people go sage anyway. Why? Here's a spoiler: it's not because we're "stupid" or we're ignoring the skills.

The problem with your post is that you assume, blindly, that all demon enthusiasts have the exact same reasoning behind their choice.

I did/do not PvP, and I like demon. With regards to why I chose demon, I am fairly certain I do not fall under your stereotype.

Stop casting your prejudices upon others. Doing so lacks elegance and culture.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    The problem with your post is that you assume, blindly, that all demon enthusiasts have the exact same reasoning behind their choice.

I did/do not PvP, and I like demon. With regards to why I chose demon, I am fairly certain I do not fall under your stereotype.

Stop casting your prejudices upon others. Doing so lacks elegance and culture.
    An error in wording, then. :P I should've clarified that I wasn't referring to all demon enthusiasts, or even most. Sorry that wasn't brought across in the last post.

But you have to admit there is that kind of bias. I would respect anyone who chooses demon over sage, but judging by some of the threads I've seen here, I would not get the same courtesy from some.
    WaffleChan wrote:
    you are destroying your character by going sage! male archers already look ****, they dont need a white, girly fairy to finish the ensemble!
    I've never gotten the whole "****" thing, to be honest. I do realize it's an in-joke and everything (stormrage, etc.) but aside from the metal skill poses, there's nothing I can see that would lead to that conclusion. :P Eh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    edited April 2010
    I've never gotten the whole "****" thing, to be honest. I do realize it's an in-joke and everything (stormrage, etc.) but aside from the metal skill poses, there's nothing I can see that would lead to that conclusion. :P Eh.
    Glitter Flaps. Or Sparklebright. And Seraphic Mist really doesn't help the cause either.

Admittedly, it's more a matter of male winged elves looking effeminate, then people equating effeminate with ****.
  • Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Unless you're like some certain archers out there (We all know who they are) that can achieve 5 attack/second without any attack increase procs, go demon. If you CAN afford it (It's absurdly expensive, so probably not) then by all means, go sage.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Glitter Flaps. Or Sparklebright. And Seraphic Mist really doesn't help the cause either.
    Only if you choose to use them. How many male archers do you know who use Sparklebright? :P Yeah, I plan to get one eventually... for my female cleric. XD

My gf, on the other hand, is probably going to get GFs for her male archer one day. Why? Because she can. XD

For the record, I've used Elven Radiance (now called "Glory" -_-) since the 60s.
    Admittedly, it's more a matter of male winged elves looking effeminate, then people equating effeminate with ****.
    I'd say the opposite. XD But either way, there are plenty of male archers out there that don't look effeminate in the slightest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    about triple sparking...3s of standing there, chest thrust out is kind of seal bait.

with regards to why i say 25% more weapon damage, the other 10% extra comes from sage blazing.

male archers are effeminate because male light armor shows midriff.
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • LauraAngel - Lost City
    LauraAngel - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    about triple sparking...3s of standing there, chest thrust out is kind of seal bait.

with regards to why i say 25% more weapon damage, the other 10% extra comes from sage blazing.

male archers are effeminate because male light armor shows midriff.

35% of crappy damage is still crappy damage.

Versus:

12% increased chance for double damage, and more chances due to increased interval.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    edited April 2010
    35% of crappy damage is still crappy damage.

It's just 25%. 15% more from Bow Mastery (90% vs 75%) and 10% more from Blazing Arrow (60% vs 50%).

Anyway, to put numbers to it, in an absolute best-case scenario:
    +12 Flowing Stardust (Warsoul), 2 Drakeflame stones (+100 attack) gives 2611-3648 weapon damage.
    25% of that is 652.75-912.
    That's, at most, 912 more damage per shot. Which is reduced to 228 damage in PvP, against a target with zero defense. Doesn't really seem that useful, huh?

Now, Demon Quickshot is a 30% increase in attack speed. Because the game fails at math, that's really a 30% decrease in interval between hits. Which is in turn a 42.86% increase in attack speed, before rounding off to the nearest 0.05 seconds of interval. An increase in attack speed is an increase in damage, straight up. Each 1% of critical also adds 1% damage on average.

You can have your 228 damage per shot increase. I'll be over here with my 40% higher damage.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    well ya, i was just trying to be neutral. since archers do have the highest damage ratings on their weapons, i guess sage archers would gain the most wep damage out of any physical classes (well then there's sage barbs)

im demon too :3
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    edited April 2010
    Yeah. I started out just going by the information on the forums, but the more I actually examined things the better Demon looked.

Admittedly, Demon Quickshot is horribly expensive to get unless you're lucky (Fourth try for me b:victory). It's absolutely amazing though. When's the last time you looked at a skill, thought "ooh, nice", got it, then realized it's better than advertised?

And yes, Sage Archers can use Relentless Courage in lieu of quickshot. However, at best, they can get a 62% bonus (100/100 LP Infliction with all points in Str, for 135 Str) once every 30 seconds, for uh... not sure how long, actually. 8 seconds?

Demons, on the other hand, have a 50% chance at a 43% bonus for 6 seconds, every 3 seconds. And we can save our genie for other things, like staying alive, or amping the target.

In short, Sages can get the attack rate bonus once in a while. Demons can have it active something like 75% of the time.
  • Etaerc - Lost City
    Etaerc - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    20mil isn't a lot. If you can't make 20 mil in a month at max you wouldn't stand a chance in any endgame pvp, demon or sage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    edited April 2010
    Demon quickshot is amazing, and so is demon spark.

However, I will not entirely discount sages. They can do some things that demons can not:

If they get a bow with +range, they have the longest ranged attacks of anyone in the game, 34m range vs 30 or 32m range only matters if you're fighting an archer without Sage Winged Blessing, and only if you open with and land an Aim Low. The only class with longer range than us is Assassins, at 35m, and freezing them in place isn't going to help since they'll just go stealth. their spark multiplies their effective health by a bit, and their skill damage is adequate. Sages crit for more damage than demons crit for, and so on... They can crit for, at most, 1824 more damage with a normal shot. That's with a +12 Warsoul with two Drakeflames. Not significant, when you consider that they're critting something like 20% less often.

In my opinion, when you run into diminishing returns, sages have advantages over demons but until then demons are superior. What diminishing returns? Attack speed increases don't hit diminishing returns until you hit the animation limits at 5 attacks per second (maybe lower for ranged weapons, not sure). Stacking -interval equipment (which should be done regardless of cultivation choice) has increasing returns. Critical hit chance doesn't hit diminishing returns unless you somehow manage to hit 100%, which I don't believe is possible.

Also, sages can occasionally get burst DPS, higher than demon DPS, without needing a genie skill. Explain please. Sages might be able to get a single stronger hit, but that's not the same thing as burst DPS. Sage Archers do a fraction more damage per shot, but Demon Archers shoot a LOT faster, and crit more often.
    Comments inline in red.
  • AzureSkyee - Heavens Tear
    AzureSkyee - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    So like, I totally hit level 89 and I didn't even know it. I don't know whether to go Demon or Sage. I PK sometimes and like to do good damage. So... Which is better for me, Sage or Demon? b:cute

LOL so this is why u wanted demon >.>.. nice, and stop copying meh fist build -__-...