Let's talk about Safety Lock

Options
sweetjamie
sweetjamie Posts: 8 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
This is for PvP server players only.

"Oh god, I just killed 300 people and have stolen every newbie's items. But now there is a high chance I'll drop my best items as a repercussion from my negative actions. Although that would be perfectly fair, it's no worries, I'll just click on safety lock."

So what is the point of Guardian Scrolls? Every time you go out, you just activate safety lock for a bit.

I'd like to see some arguments that will clear my mind about the stupidity of this.

They've got items that serve no purpose in this game.

Red players should always be able to drop items.
(Guardian Scrolls and such being the protection, not clicking the corner of your screen.)
Post edited by sweetjamie on

Comments

• MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The safety lock is also there to prevent hackers.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • sweetjamie
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The safety lock is also there to prevent hackers.

Well they should at least have a 60% or higher chance to have a piece gear shattered when you die as red. And then up the cost of repairing shattered gear greatly.

So that you're basically paying for the item again in order to have it repaired.

That way any hacker would not gain any items from the situation.

Red names are never suppose to go out without their Guardian Scrolls. But now because of this safety lock, they never need them.

At least with this they would have some motivation seeing as Guardian Scrolls are a whole lot less expensive then a piece of TT70 or better. And so dying with a Guardian Scroll with Safety Lock on would only destroy one Guardian Scroll.

Seems like a very easy solution to me.
  • Revoltech - Lost City
    Revoltech - Lost City Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sweetjamie wrote: »
    But now because of this safety lock, they never need them.

Now? As opposed to when? SL has been around a loooonnnnng time...
  • sweetjamie
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Now? As opposed to when? SL has been around a loooonnnnng time...

Did you play when you could actually drop items upon death?
    A real consequence of stealing newbie's items, who don't really know about Safety Lock.

It wasn't so long ago for me.
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    CrowPrince - Lost City Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Did you play when you could actually drop items upon death?
    A real consequence of stealing newbie's items, who don't really know about Safety Lock.

It wasn't so long ago for me.

so experienced players who know about the SL should get extra punishment for killing newbies who are dumb enough to go red name in the first place?
  • sweetjamie
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so experienced players who know about the SL should get extra punishment for killing newbies who are dumb enough to go red name in the first place?

White names drop items too.
    Also, little things like attacking the tablet stones for chi can turn you pink.
    Backstabbing is very common on the internet. :)

And sometimes, when someone is attacking you, the best course of action is to defend yourself. Would you consider that stupid as well?

Being experienced does not give you more rights and privileges than other players.

You steal from other players: you should be able to be stolen from.
  • Hhlolz - Harshlands
    Hhlolz - Harshlands Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I vote for removal of SL, if not, i request an item that makes bound gear unbound.
    *Faildom*
    I don't need a Squad
    Level a Venomancer to 90.
    Aug 12, 2009
  • Revoltech - Lost City
    Revoltech - Lost City Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    White names drop items too.
    Also, little things like attacking the tablet stones for chi can turn you pink.
    Backstabbing is very common on the internet. :)

And sometimes, when someone is attacking you, the best course of action is to defend yourself. Would you consider that stupid as well?

Being experienced does not give you more rights and privileges than other players.

You steal from other players: you should be able to be stolen from.

Being experienced allows you to play the game better. If you can't play the game well you lose. It's how games usually work. Newbies will learn.
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    what exactly makes it stealing huh. item drops are part of pvp so if an item drops its not the property of the ex holder its free grabs usually to the person who wins.

if newbies dont like the fact they lose items when killed go roll a pve server
  • StormChaos - Heavens Tear
    StormChaos - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    item drops are part of pvp so if an item drops its not the property of the ex holder its free grabs usually to the person who wins.

Last part sums it up and is why SL should be changed so that it does not protect gear from dropping, only binding or GS should do that.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The reason why your suggestion doesn't work:

Safety lock also completely stops the use of trading, dropping in general, using the AH (and therefore gold trading) and other NPC functions too.

It's not only high levelled players who kill the lowbies, level 5x players can easily take on 3x players on a PvP server, kill them and take anything they drop. Would safety lock work for them? At level 5x the chances are no because you'll probably be wanting to do some vending or selling of DQ items you get while you quest, etc. etc.

You're just focusing on one aspect of safety lock and you aren't even looking at the whole thing. A 9x player with SL won't be able to TT unless drops are set up on free. Same for FBs. They won't be able to vend in any way shape or form, so that's no money making, either. They won't be able to drop anything, so if they keep picking **** up their inventory and safe is going to find itself filling up very quickly.

Before you ***** about something, make sure you actually look at the whole picture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They've got items that serve no purpose in this game.

Guardian Scrolls also protect you from losing exp. May not matter to you, but when you (or rather, I) lose 1.6m exp from getting kiilled by a mob and 'go to town', 100k isn't a bad investment.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • sweetjamie
    edited April 2010
    Options
    what exactly makes it stealing huh. item drops are part of pvp so if an item drops its not the property of the ex holder its free grabs usually to the person who wins.

So why should they have safety lock to prevent pkers from losing items? If the server doesn't want people losing items, maybe they should change it to a PvE server.

Lol @ you not knowing the definition of steal.
    The reason why your suggestion doesn't work:

Safety lock also completely stops the use of trading, dropping in general, using the AH (and therefore gold trading) and other NPC functions too.

It's not only high levelled players who kill the lowbies, level 5x players can easily take on 3x players on a PvP server, kill them and take anything they drop. Would safety lock work for them? At level 5x the chances are no because you'll probably be wanting to do some vending or selling of DQ items you get while you quest, etc. etc.

You're just focusing on one aspect of safety lock and you aren't even looking at the whole thing. A 9x player with SL won't be able to TT unless drops are set up on free. Same for FBs. They won't be able to vend in any way shape or form, so that's no money making, either. They won't be able to drop anything, so if they keep picking **** up their inventory and safe is going to find itself filling up very quickly.

Before you ***** about something, make sure you actually look at the whole picture.

Good advice.
    They turn the safety lock off in town. Turn it back on when they go out.
    You seemed to miss that through the whole post.

I said this thread was for PvP players. You are on Dreamweaver. Leave with your ignorance.
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    why do i get the feeling OP is some one who got themselves killed and now is QQing about it.

Pkers use safety lock, i myself use safety lock. mine is set for 1 hour. so if i log on and im bored i pk for 1 hour and when my lock turns off i stop. i do not reset my lock unless i am helping a guildie with a quest that requires me to go into a hot pking area such as silver pool
  • sweetjamie
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Pkers use safety lock, i myself use safety lock. mine is set for 1 hour. so if i log on and im bored i pk for 1 hour and when my lock turns off i stop. i do not reset my lock unless i am helping a guildie with a quest that requires me to go into a hot pking area such as silver pool

Thanks for helping my point.

You don't need Guardian Scrolls and you don't need binding equipment.
    They are useless.

To not lose items, all you do is click that little lock in the top left and you're good to go.

Why even have the items able to drop in the first place if this is the case?
    You're just giving a huge disadvantage to low levels who usually know nothing of this Safety Lock until after they've been annihilated.
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They turn the safety lock off in town. Turn it back on when they go out.

Can you please explain to me how this works? Last time I checked, any shortening of the safety lock takes 3 days. It's not a simple "on and off" button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anxho - Harshlands
    Anxho - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lets do talk about PvP. Lets talk about the two things that make the use of the words PvP and hardcore in the same sentence with respect to perfect world a joke:

1) The afore mentioned safety lock.
    2) HP/MP charms

You can say what ever you like however you like it won't negate the fact that sl and charms make the term hardcore PvP non aplicable to PWI. IF you go red there should be a consequence. There is none. If you pk you should not have a charm kicking in every x seconds replenishing your life/mp. Just like how charms do not activate in duels they should not activate in any form of PvP especially pk. I can see them as a valid sale item for PvE but for PvP no!!

As far as I have seen it thus far playing on a PvP server there is no real PvP since every red name has every protection in the book that can be paid for. The real PvP moments are those uncharmed players without sl on and equipment unbound fighting for survival.

PvP server. Not really. Just another PvE server with a slight twist!
  • sweetjamie
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lets do talk about PvP. Lets talk about the two things that make the use of the words PvP and hardcore in the same sentence with respect to perfect world a joke:

1) The afore mentioned safety lock.
    2) HP/MP charms

You can say what ever you like however you like it won't negate the fact that sl and charms make the term hardcore PvP non aplicable to PWI. IF you go red there should be a consequence. There is none. If you pk you should not have a charm kicking in every x seconds replenishing your life/mp. Just like how charms do not activate in duels they should not activate in any form of PvP especially pk. I can see them as a valid sale item for PvE but for PvP no!!

As far as I have seen it thus far playing on a PvP server there is no real PvP since every red name has every protection in the book that can be paid for. The real PvP moments are those uncharmed players without sl on and equipment unbound fighting for survival.

PvP server. Not really. Just another PvE server with a slight twist!

No conflicting comments. Although I'm indifferent towards charms.
    It's the genies I haven't liked much. They don''t completely ruin PvP like Safety Lock does though.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    'lets talk about safety lock baby, lets talk about you and me. lets talk about all the good things, all thebad things. lets talk about locks, lets talk about locks.'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This thread is full of fail on so many levels.

1: Safety Lock has been there since the beginning. However, back then GAs were pretty cheap so most people simply used them instead of bothering with being unable to sell/drop/trade/use the AH/open the mailbox because the hassle wasn't worth it.

2: GAs prevent EXP loss. If you ever get to a real level, instead of being a faceless QQing over something that isn't game-breaking, you'd realize just how useful they are when you die and having a GA saves you from losing well over 1 mil EXP when you town.

3: You're an idiot who doesn't even know HOW safety lock works. It's only active when you first log on! If you wind up wanting to re-activate it while you're logged on, you have to log off (which means say goodbye to any chi/buffs you may have had beforehand) and then log back in to refresh it. So if your safety lock duration runs out in the middle of a fight while you're red and don't have GAs, you're screwed. Royally.

4: Hardcore and PvP do not belong in the same sentence describing each other when it comes to PWI. There is nothing hardcore about the PvP here. Death isn't even a slap on the wrist in PvP here because everyone is running around with some form of protection except the newbies who are clueless and will lose nothing of major value.

5: Speaking of which, oh that's right.... LOWBIE PK DROPS ARE WORTHLESS! So what if some blood red 9X randomly decides to 1-shot some 3X who doesn't know about safety and drops some gear. It's the lowbie's fault for being on a PvP server in the first place (or going white on a PvE server) without doing the research first. On top of that, their gear isn't worth a thing. Most will have some crappy 1*s, NPC gear, or quest rewards. Big. Frikkin. Deal. Besides, most higher levels will return gear to the lowbies since it's worthless to them anyway.

tl;dr version: Quit complaining about something that let's people who aren't rich still get to compete in PK without penalties like the rich folk can. Because that's really all safety does nowadays and those who don't PK tend to leave it at the minimum settings and stay white to lower their chance of dropping to near nothing.

Edit:
    'lets talk about safety lock baby, lets talk about you and me. lets talk about all the good things, all thebad things. lets talk about locks, lets talk about locks.'
    Dammit! Now you have that song stuck in my head! I hope you're proud of yourself! b:cry
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Oh god, I just killed 300 people and have stolen every newbie's items. But now there is a high chance I'll drop my best items as a repercussion from my negative actions. Although that would be perfectly fair, it's no worries, I'll just click on safety lock."

silly wabbit.....killing white named noobs don't make them drop items.
    b:chuckle
    so all 300 must have been dumb enough to fight back without any protection.
    xD
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StarmanSuper - Harshlands
    StarmanSuper - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    My internet died while I was making a post here so I'll just rewrite it with more brevity: I think there are valid arguments for the case that Safety Lock has been abused for PvP, but there's no real solution to the problem since allowing red names to drop items when it's turned on would empower hackers to just kill the player off over and over again to get them to drop stuff. It seems unlikely but still, it could happen.

Also, it isn't entirely clear I guess that the feature really is being abused - sure people can no longer drop things, but they also can't pick up things, sell things, buy things, and so on for as long as Safety Lock is turned on. Thus it's arguably a fair sacrifice.
  • Lyzzern - Lost City
    Lyzzern - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    circumventing chat filter isn't allowed. - frankie
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2508297003&dateline=1263853257[/SIGPIC]
    Asoteric Runewolf just pwned you b:victory

(Yet another player who has quit this game :>; See you in Forsaken World)
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm a RPKer and I have safety lock 1 hour and I couldn't care less, it's **** perfect I do my trades with my alt, OmegaTroll 8D so it's cool.

yes me feel very very safe while trading with one called "OmegaTroll"
    b:shocked
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The safety lock:
    - Doesn't allow you to do ANY kind of trades
    - Doesn't allow you to repair your shattered gear
    - Will reset everytime you log in, for you having to wait the ammount of time you set
    - Will not change until 3 days
    So, many people prefer using the guardian scrolls or bindings.
    Also, white names have 1% chance of dropping 1 item in inventory, that's almost impossible, and red names don't get the PKKer red.
    I'm a RPKer and I have safety lock 1 hour and I couldn't care less, it's **** perfect I do my trades with my alt, OmegaTroll 8D so it's cool.

Amen to RPKers and 1 hour safety locks b:victory
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The safety lock is fair. Ever used it?

Try turning that thing up to one hour. You'll probably regret it. For the next three days, it'll be on for one hour everytime you log in; it takes three days before you're allowed to change it to a shorter duration.

Was in one PK fight just for fun and set it to 30. Now I have to start my day with the World Quest every day, cause it takes 30 minutes before I can buy/sell/drop gear.

Seems like a pretty annoying punishment for those who PK, if you ask me. I certainly don't plan on PKing. xD
    I <3 AGOREY
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The safety lock is fair. Ever used it?

Try turning that thing up to one hour. You'll probably regret it. For the next three days, it'll be on for one hour everytime you log in; it takes three days before you're allowed to change it to a shorter duration.

Was in one PK fight just for fun and set it to 30. Now I have to start my day with the World Quest every day, cause it takes 30 minutes before I can buy/sell/drop gear.

Seems like a pretty annoying punishment for those who PK, if you ask me. I certainly don't plan on PKing. xD

got you beat. first time i heard about safety lock i was on my Wizard from dreamweaver (BloodSavior). felt like trying out alittle pking since i was new to mmos and set the damn thing to 5 hours not knowing it wont let me sell stuff.

can tell you those wernt a fun 3 days
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    got you beat. first time i heard about safety lock i was on my Wizard from dreamweaver (BloodSavior). felt like trying out alittle pking since i was new to mmos and set the damn thing to 5 hours not knowing it wont let me sell stuff.

can tell you those wernt a fun 3 days

I almost set mine to an hour but for some stupid reason I decided I'd rather have it shorter. I just had a feeling it would save me 30 minutes of waiting when I wanted to turn the safety lock back to 1 minute again. Glad I decided that, and I'm glad my first experience with the saftey lock wasn't as painful as yours.

Heck, did you even PLAY for three days? xD
    I <3 AGOREY
  • CrowPrince - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I almost set mine to an hour but for some stupid reason I decided I'd rather have it shorter. I just had a feeling it would save me 30 minutes of waiting when I wanted to turn the safety lock back to 1 minute again. Glad I decided that, and I'm glad my first experience with the saftey lock wasn't as painful as yours.

Heck, did you even PLAY for three days? xD

yeah i did it was running around constant questing without handing in the quests or picking up drop items b:surrender. my one now is set for 1 hour which is fine with me cause i quest for usually an hour or so or grind depending on what quests i got, and there is the factor that i RPK so if i do get bored waiting for lock i go kill peopleb:victory
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    this woudl work if guardian scrolls were not so expensive. People could afford to pvp back than because scrolls were 30k each. You could grind that money easily in grind parties at fish etc.
This discussion has been closed.