The way of the cleric

Options
Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Cleric
In case you had any other Ideas from the title, this is a cleric guide (can't call it the bajillionth cleric guide, now can I?)

Due to the sheer size of it (16 pages for the first part) I can't just post it on these forums (images aren't allowed here either)

So here are the links (PDF files, no download required)

Part 1-skills: [http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1869544/clericguide5-pdf-april-21-2010-2-04-pm-1-0-meg?da=y] click meh[/url]
Part 2: coming soon
part 3: coming soon

As an intro (also found in part 1)

This guide is written to give you information about the cleric class (obviously).

It is not geared towards total newcomers, however. This guide expects you to know what a cleric is and what they and their skills do.

The guide covers 3 major aspects of being a cleric:

1.The skills

2.simple How-tos in healing

3.Building your character

enjoy b:thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    demon metal mastery increases crit % by 2
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    demon metal mastery increases crit % by 2

Fixed, thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nieka - Harshlands
    Nieka - Harshlands Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    In case you had any other Ideas from the title, this is a cleric guide (can't call it the bajillionth cleric guide, now can I?)

you could have and it would have been way more awesome
  • Nieka - Harshlands
    Nieka - Harshlands Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    demon plume also deals extra damage
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ok.... with love:

BofP description bit biased, 11lvl - is just bad

IH description over-sweeted as usual. IH is great spell but it have disadvantages.
    it takes 5 seconds before first IH tick will heal you with just 1/5 of total spell power.

this make IH slowest healing spell ever. Even CHB is faster (4.5s).

sage description kinda sucks too. how anyone can complain that some heal is too strong and u may not need it? i sugest doing something harder than bh

CHB 11 descriptions biased again. and btw i think that u you arent aware that all demon/sage heals are much stronger than 10lvls (attacks also) dont read just bonuses..

SoR read whole 11 description

Plume shell - phy type damage* and read whole 11lvl descritpion

p.def buff - sage description..

mp/hp buff - so this regen hp and mp by 'significat amount'?..

mag buff - mistake in demon description. it always bust up just urs mag even if u cast it on someone else. and that '150% weapon bonus' is 75% of 1st spark power in reality. still great skill

revive - sage description is biased and fail and demon is quick enough to rez tank too if he die :P

debuffs - no info about other class equivalent skills

silent seal - it dont reduce ur dmg by 50%... and it s not freeze - silenced mob cant hurt u even if ranged or magic

red ball - at least write what it does actualy: 20% speed buff and 50% of 1st spark power
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Silent Seal = freeze o.o

Freeze = Can't move
    Silence = Can't cast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
    edited April 2010
    Options
    As stated before, the guide kind of expects people to know how cleric skills work (don't see much reason to explain which skill does what and the exact stats of it, since any site like ecatomb.net covers that in full detail). Still, I see there's a few adjustments that should be made.
    ok.... with love:

BofP description bit biased, 11lvl - is just bad

The lv11 descriptions lack a bit because I REALLY don't see an advantage with their effect. Might be handy to elaborate on it, though.

IH description over-sweeted as usual. IH is great spell but it have disadvantages.
    it takes 5 seconds before first IH tick will heal you with just 1/5 of total spell power.

this make IH slowest healing spell ever. Even CHB is faster (4.5s).

sage description kinda sucks too. how anyone can complain that some heal is too strong and u may not need it? i sugest doing something harder than bh

I actually haven't done BH in months now. Over-sweeted, maybe. But IH IS very important. And I wouldn't say it is the slowest heal (in theory, maybe) because a stacked IH ticks constantly. It isn't suited for fast heals like wellspring though, in that aspect it is indeed the slowest.
    Kinda see that I stated the sage description wrong though. What I actually meant is that spamming IH will do the job just fine without the added 10%.

CHB 11 descriptions biased again. and btw i think that u you arent aware that all demon/sage heals are much stronger than 10lvls (attacks also) dont read just bonuses..

I know that very well, but since both demon and sage get the same increase I kind of ignored it. But you're right, should be mentioned.

SoR read whole 11 description

Spelling error I see, needs to be fixed b:laugh . Demon version needs a bit more of an explanation.

Plume shell - phy type damage* and read whole 11lvl descritpion
    Can't believe I forgot about that...

p.def buff - sage description..
    Yeah.. that's bad..

mp/hp buff - so this regen hp and mp by 'significat amount'?..
    At lower levels I really noticed a big jump in my mp regen when I had lv10 of it on. Could use a better explanation though.

mag buff - mistake in demon description. it always bust up just urs mag even if u cast it on someone else. and that '150% weapon bonus' is 75% of 1st spark power in reality. still great skill
    Didn't know about it being self-only but what exactly do you mean with 75% spark power?

revive - sage description is biased and fail and demon is quick enough to rez tank too if he die :P
    Hmm yes, I guess so. Still can't think of a good use for those 17 extra meters of range though.

debuffs - no info about other class equivalent skills
    Indeed

silent seal - it dont reduce ur dmg by 50%... and it s not freeze - silenced mob cant hurt u even if ranged or magic

Didn't know that either, mainly because I never used the skill myself.

red ball - at least write what it does actualy: 20% speed buff and 50% of 1st spark power
    yeah not a big problem.

Looks like I've got work to do
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magicgabe - Lost City
    Magicgabe - Lost City Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I call bs on a lot of what's being said in the guide:

thunderball - this skill is NOT useless in PvE. its useful in creating a chain of metal attacks. For me it hits about as hard as plumeshot on its initial damage. Making the choice attack on high HP targets.

razor feathers - this does not work against robes as well as you may have though. Wiz, clerics, and venos have high deffs through various buffs and skills. Sage, razor feathers could definately have its uses. Ever try packing 20+ poison mobs into a 10meter radius? Not easy to do.

Sirens kiss - not a useless skill. I use this as a finisher when time is at a premium( ie. charms) or against remaining phy deff mobs in AOE.

wield thunder - not your best nuke in your arsenal. deals about 30% more than damage than cyclone with more than double the channeling time. I find this skill to be overated. Still, its useful though.

blessing of the purehearted - not useless. I use it for chi and for grinding. at low levels it consumes very little mana

sage revive - I can think of plenty of uses for a 40 meter rez.

sage purify - ever fight a wiz or nix, you might understand the need for this skill then.

silent seal - this skill DOES NOT reduce damage by 50%. My tests concluded a decrease in BASE magic attack by 10%. Sage silent seal useless? I'd love to have extra seal time.

Sage, chromatic seal - I can think of uses of that extra 4 seconds( 1 or 2 seconds in practice). it allows you more time to prep up for the nuke.

otherwise, great guide, great pictures. Keep the good work up.
    and bro...fyi this isn't a story.

All people are idiodic but some are more idiotic than others.
  • SassySis - Lost City
    SassySis - Lost City Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    A few things that was noticed when skipping over the guide quickly.

First, you seem to very much favor Demon for a Cleric when an overall Guide should be neutral in their descriptions. Second, as you are only level 83 (good job but only level 83) you fail to realize the importance and need of some skills that are not generally utilized until 9x and above; such as Chromatic Healing Beam and SoR. Thirdly, your understanding of how more then a few of the level 11 skills are wrong (your description of Sage revive is disturbing and once again would require you to be a higher level to understand).

It has potential to be a great guide, but as written and without the proper neutrality and incite from higher level instances, it greatly lacks.
    My specialty is being right when other people are wrong.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    First off, thanks for all the constructive criticism, it really helps. I think I kind of rushed this guide without giving it a good read myself, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Just to make some things clear:
    -I don't really prefer demon nor sage, I don't even know which one I will pick myself yet.
    -I don't have firsthand experience with demon/sage skills (major problem there)
    -I tried to keep explanations short since the layout I picked for the guide is REALLY annoying to work with (but looks better). Due to this a lot of skills only showcase one side of the spectrum or miss essential information. I think I'll go with a different layout to fix this..
    -I left out a lot of things that simply seemed natural to me, which isn't a good thing.

Maybe I bit off more than I can chew here, as there really is a great amount of flaws.
    But I will put all your comments to good use, as I really want this guide to be as good as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Options
    @BofP u dont see advantage of 11lvl cuz u dont read whole description. it heals same amount of hp like 10 SoR for 2/3 mp. it isnt anything great, but good way to save mana when ur party is doing something easy

u need to add that info to every 11lvl skill cuz ur info is misleading (ur simply not showing whole desription)

@IH. im not trying to say it s bad skill, i use it in 80% cases. it is just fail when u need instant recovery - 5s i awfuly long and that should be mentioned imo

@mag buff.. emmm... how to put it well..

1st spark gives u some boost in base mag/p attack (200% weapon bonus which gives ~30% 'in reality' based on my stats)

demon mag buff is strong like 3/4 of that boost

RB is like 1/2

@revive, u gonna do AE in 2-3 pretty soon and i think you will understand then

@silent seal, uhhh i failed here. it s just freeze tho in most cases mob cant hurt u if u DD on max range

and as SassySis wrote, there is too many personal opinions in this guide. there are no bad cleric skills
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It looks like good guide once you are finished and the pics help out a lot.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    New and improved: removed the demon-sage commentary (for now), fixed some errors, changed the layout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Try to complete the guide before starting to correct it. I'd rather you do 1 major correction than 1000 minor corrections lol.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Indeed, I just wanted to get the wrong bits out as soon as possible so that I'm not giving out wrong info here. Next change will be when the first part is complete.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SassySis - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Some notes for you after reviewing the updated version:

Great Cyclone: you can use Wield Thunder once learned then Cyclone on ranged mobs and the effect will work the same. You do not always have to open with Cyclone.

Razor Feather: This skill is hit and miss at higher levels due to the channel time of the skill. One might be better off debuffing and using WT or even sticking with Plume Shot since it will have greater damage overall due to spammability.

Siren's Kiss: Downfall to this skill is the short range, but is great in AOE grinding as a last hit if needed.

Tempest: Slower channel and easily interrupted, means that in PvP you must know your opponent and timing of the skill. Against melee, it is often good to seal, debuff, tempest and then freeze (if needed) to kite if not dead and you need a final blow. Often better used in PvP when charm of the opponent is on cool-down.

Blessing of Purehearted: Works great as a chi builder later on.

IronHeart: Stacks 5 times, not infinitely and will not always keep your tank alive later on (which is when WellSpring and SoR come more into play).

BB: Heals a set 300hp + 20% of your base magic.

Celestial Guardian Seal: This skill will override MP recovery pots if someone is using, so beware.

Silent Seal: If an opponent is ranged, they can still attack, they just cannot move from where they are standing. Making this much better for use on melee classes in PvP. You can purify the magic attack reduction. Also, this is a skill that gets better with leveling. Level one might not seem like it is anything since it is UP to 6 seconds, but at level 10 UP to 16.8 seconds can and does make a difference.

RB: This INCREASES the channeling and attack speed of squad members not decreases. It is often used with another cleric or when a veno is tanking.

Guardian Light: Do not discount this skill. Works wonders in PvP, TW and in instances if caught off-guard.

Looking better.

Only other thing is I would try to keep more consistency. Such as when listing Sage/Demon add-on's, keep Sage first then Demon (or vis-a-versa) for all skills.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Some notes for you after reviewing the updated version:

Great Cyclone: you can use Wield Thunder once learned then Cyclone on ranged mobs and the effect will work the same. You do not always have to open with Cyclone.
    Most ranged mobs still have to walk a bit to get into range (assuming you are attacking from max range) so a slow still helps a slight bit, but the result is probably the same whether you use cyclone first or not.

Razor Feather: This skill is hit and miss at higher levels due to the channel time of the skill. One might be better off debuffing and using WT or even sticking with Plume Shot since it will have greater damage overall due to spammability.
    My guess is that it has just about the same results when fighting a robe user, after you've slept/debuffed I'd rather use razor feathers than plume shot though, since it gives you the chance to cast longer skills.

Siren's Kiss: Downfall to this skill is the short range, but is great in AOE grinding as a last hit if needed.
    chi is really important in (solo) AoE grinding to purify with and I always find myself almost out of chi after a bunch of mobs. Should you be grinding on monsters that don't use poison, then it would indeed be a good finisher.

Tempest: Slower channel and easily interrupted, means that in PvP you must know your opponent and timing of the skill. Against melee, it is often good to seal, debuff, tempest and then freeze (if needed) to kite if not dead and you need a final blow. Often better used in PvP when charm of the opponent is on cool-down.
    As you might've guessed from my server, I'm not a big PvPer. But that is certainly worth mentioning.

Blessing of Purehearted: Works great as a chi builder later on.
    true.

IronHeart: Stacks 5 times, not infinitely and will not always keep your tank alive later on (which is when WellSpring and SoR come more into play).
    All true, though wasn't too sure about the stacking since it's a bit hard to test that myself.

BB: Heals a set 300hp + 20% of your base magic.
    read over the 200 hp part when checking my skilltree apparently, thanks for pointing that out.

Celestial Guardian Seal: This skill will override MP recovery pots if someone is using, so beware.
    Totally forgot about that one, certainly good to mention.

Silent Seal: If an opponent is ranged, they can still attack, they just cannot move from where they are standing. Making this much better for use on melee classes in PvP. You can purify the magic attack reduction. Also, this is a skill that gets better with leveling. Level one might not seem like it is anything since it is UP to 6 seconds, but at level 10 UP to 16.8 seconds can and does make a difference.
    Kept hearing different things about this, so I went to test it and what you said is indeed true.

RB: This INCREASES the channeling and attack speed of squad members not decreases. It is often used with another cleric or when a veno is tanking.
    ''decreases channeling TIME (=faster) and increases attack SPEED.(=faster)'' Might aswell change that to avoid confusion.

Guardian Light: Do not discount this skill. Works wonders in PvP, TW and in instances if caught off-guard.
    I dismiss it mainly because I have to rely on the opinion of clerics I know that have it, since I don't (didn't sound very useful to me, still doesn't actually) and they all said it wasn't worth the money. It does indeed seem to have good uses in emergencies, though.

Looking better.

Only other thing is I would try to keep more consistency. Such as when listing Sage/Demon add-on's, keep Sage first then Demon (or vis-a-versa) for all skills.
    That was my idea too, to keep sage first and then demon. But there's a few mistakes that got in there with copy-pasting from the former layout.

Thanks for your input.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Options

did u tested that actually?

• SassySis - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    did u tested that actually?

Long time ago. Feel free to test it again or I could when and if I get the time too.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    im asking cuz i counted that - but didnt test

if you start spaming IH (10k m.attack; 1ih = 3714; tick = 743):

you will heal 14117HP (19 ih ticks) in first 17s

from 17th second you will get 'max possible ih spam' (3 ticks every odd and 2 ticks every even second -> 2229 and 1486HP per second )

btw 17s of max spam would recover 31949HP (43 ticks)

if total IH cast time (with cooldown) is 2s*

that means way more that 5- like 8 in first 17s (before 1st ih stop working)

but that just math - dunno how it works in game

and problem is that i never get 2s ih.. more like 2.3-2.5s (6 in 15s) in game tests

• SassySis - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, not sure. I do not have the math but when I tested it a while back it was 5.

My personal overall general rule is no more then 3 stacked in the beginning if needed depending upon the boss/etc and then it is on too IH > WS > SG > IH > etc macro (all 3 Sage skills).

I would be interested to test this again to see if the stack is still 5 on my end or interested in someone testing.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    New and improved: removed the demon-sage commentary (for now), fixed some errors, changed the layout.

You know.I was going to consider picking sage as I play more support role in squads but after reading what was said I am leaning back towards demon.I won't rule sage out but do finish the guide and will see from there.

I would mention the good and bad points about both paths sage and demon.

This is a guide for those starting out it is great.I look foward to when it is completed.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Don't have to test; Without any -chan gear, it takes 1 second to channel and 1 second to cast. An IH lasts 15 seconds. 15/2 = 7.5. Factor lag in, and it's more like 5-6. So, a typical cleric can have 5-6 IH when spamming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it s more like 9 IHs in 17s without lag and always perfect cast every 2s

or -in other words- 3 ih ticks every odd and 2 every even second (ih = 5 ticks)

that is max what can u get per second if you spam for 17s and keep spaming

but that just theory

anyway, yea it s not stacking infinitely and recover less HP than f.e. SoR (gives even worse results with lag and if u stop spaming to do other stuff)

but every second regen make wonders sometimes (no risk of missing hit for example) tho it is bit bit bit.. overrated (like in this and any other guide :P )

edited April 2010
    Options
    Fixed some errors and changed some descriptions and calling part 1 finished now.

To give myself a bit more space to discuss demon/sage skills I will dedicate an entire part to it.

Those facts about Ironheart would fit better in the next part aswell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You know.I was going to consider picking sage as I play more support role in squads but after reading what was said I am leaning back towards demon.I won't rule sage out but do finish the guide and will see from there.

I would mention the good and bad points about both paths sage and demon.

This is a guide for those starting out it is great.I look foward to when it is completed.

mysti, i went sage and dont regret. ofc, id love to get demon ih, demon res and demon wield thunder, but one cant have everything and what sage skills i managed to get work great.
    when thinking about sage / demon choice try to run with both and take a look, that can help a lot. and remember you cant chose wrong :)
    also, despite sage really being more support oriented sages got nice damage boost too ^.^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I haven't ruled it out going sage as I don't do a lot of damaging doing when in squads.I could hop on my Cleric I got on HT to see you in action maybe take run through fb19 Elven.It is low lvl as I use it to go visit a friend on Heavens Tear.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    @Nowitsawn

i see u changed a lot, but now this guide dont give more info than ectacomb..

it was good that u wrote about usage of that skills (this is rare info) but it was bad that u wrote about their usefulness -in your impinion (because you often were wrong)

imo, to make this guide really good you should add that info about mechanics of skills, and how to use them in best way, then change just parts that people here will ask you to.

f.e.
    if write that BotP and SoR should be used only on targets with large hp poll; WS on arcanes, LAs and maybe low-hp fist bms (f.e. if recover more than 1/2 hp) and IH is best for recovering reapetitive low-med dmg (most common type of dmg in pve) then noone will disagree with it, and it will be good info for newbs

but if u start to write that some skill suck and other is great then this guide isnt going anywhere..

edited April 2010
    Options
    And that's why there's still 2 more parts to come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]