Same-Sex Marriage/Embrace

Options

Comments

• kwolf
    kwolf Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Needs the embrace for my laziness at the very least.

Seriously, who cares about what will/won't fly in China. This isn't the Chinese version of the game, and I think the devs know that. That's why the game is in American and not Chinese.

(yes I know American is not a language, but since America is so awesome I can call it that.)
  • Hazumu - Dreamweaver
    Hazumu - Dreamweaver Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I do not know where you have that list from but it is wrong.
    I know of at least 1 more country namely Denmark. Who were the worlds first country to legalise same sex marriage or partnership.
    If you could overlook that I'm pretty sure you are missing a lot more countries on the list.

It also forgets Finland. b:sad
  • Theavenger - Sanctuary
    Theavenger - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Seriously, who cares about what will/won't fly in China. This isn't the Chinese version of the game, and I think the devs know that. That's why the game is in American and not Chinese.

Um, the PWE guys and the people in the US that make the money. Doesn't matter if it's the "Chinese version" or the "american version" the guys in China own the rights to the game. the guys here are borrowing them
    We do something bad with the game that they don't like, it gives the game a bad name. heh that rhymed sorta.
    Its like me borrowing your favorite whatever, then scratching it all up.

---->Anyways, I've unwillingly already seen two men kiss before and i did not like that experience. I'd rather not see it in a video game as well. <---- My personal opinion. Hate it or love it i could care less.

Like other people have said on here previously. If it was allowed, there would just be something else people would cry about even more. Like female barbs or man venos.

Most of the people act like this is some civil rights issue with PWI. Not true. Marriage is perfectly optional, and does not create any advantages over other players. Same deal is real life, too.

Those who yet still are arguing for it, well you don't really know what you're talking about.
    Same sex marriage might not be as economically great for the game as you think it is.
    Say it was added to the game, there's gonna be a whooooooooole buncha people really ticked\turned off about the game, and if they're new players they might just quit right there on the spot if they're that offended by it. That's getting rid of more players, and as we all know, more players = more cash = happy devs.

It would also bias people's opinions on the game, and they would give a negative response to it. Meaning more players wouldn't...play.
    If you could overlook that I'm pretty sure you are missing a lot more countries on the list.

If you're so sure, name them.

MOVING ON

Just stop posting everyone, it's pointless. same-sex aint gonna happen. the guy even said so.
    doesn't matter how "wrong" you think it is, it just isnt gonna happen. been suggested 10,000 times already.

Besides, what would be the point? these aren't even real relationships, its dumb. Whether you're **** or not, it isn't real love. It's a computer screen.
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    People married in-game do have an advantage over others now, though. They get the marriage quest. Tbh I don't really care about same sex marriage or if it's ever implemented, but I can see why people who plays with their partners could be annoyed about it. They're forced to either miss out on that exp, or have one person reroll on a char of a different sex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Seniira - Heavens Tear
    Seniira - Heavens Tear Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It seems ridiculous to me that the chinese are so against **** while they have their limit **** on having children. If you want a ton of kids and you live in china, you're screwed, so what else should you do? At least you should be welcome to be with the same sex if you're legally limited on what you can do with the opposite to begin with. b:spit Just my two cents on that matter.

Edit: And yes, I do realize that the limit is a population limit. But what helps decrease the population more than ****? Seriously. b:lipcurl

Condoms, pills and abortion ;D
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It seems like the reason behind this is because PWI devs can't alter the code for themselves. They only get what is given to them by the Chinese developers. Because same sex relationships are taboo in Chinese culture, it will probably never be put into the Chinese version, which means it won't be put into this version either.

To those who agreed with that...

Search for a movie called City Hunter, where theres a scene on which Jackie Chan turns into several Street Fighter II characters... including Chun Li XD

Isnt riding a panda a taboo in chinese culture? We got a panda mount. How is a bikini or a punk metal set part of chinese culture? And we have those too. Should I keep going?
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    None of that changes the fact that same sex relationships aren't socially accepted in China. Why would they add something to the game that they find repulsive? I don't think anyone would view your examples as a big deal because it's just a game, and obviously not realistic at all, while same sex relationships kind of are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i want to marry my honey <3 I love you Snifflez!! b:dirty
    It seems like the reason behind this is because PWI devs can't alter the code for themselves. They only get what is given to them by the Chinese developers. Because same sex relationships are taboo in Chinese culture, it will probably never be put into the Chinese version, which means it won't be put into this version either.
    **** CHINA!!!! b:angry b:angry b:angry
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • kwolf
    kwolf Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Um, the PWE guys and the people in the US that make the money. Doesn't matter if it's the "Chinese version" or the "american version" the guys in China own the rights to the game. the guys here are borrowing them
    We do something bad with the game that they don't like, it gives the game a bad name. heh that rhymed sorta.
    Its like me borrowing your favorite whatever, then scratching it all up.

Um, borrowing implies no payment. Are you saying that they got the rights to offer this game in this region for free? Don't think so. It's more like a contract, a lease agreement. Since they are paying for the rights to the game, they can request specific changes such as having the game translated to English, or having same-sex marriage. Just a couple examples.

Yes, the developers in China rightfully own the code to the game. I highly doubt the reason for the lack of same-sex marriage in PWI is due to their resistance though, since their interest is primarily expanding their game as they likely take home a % of what their licensees (PWI for example) make. Their interest therefore would be into making the game as appealing as possible so more players are willing to pay for it, and hopefully pay for the cash items.

"never going to happen" is patently untrue.

Edit: Here's some reading on modern day attitudes toward same-sex relations in China. This further supports that a social taboo is not the reason for the lack of this feature in-game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_China
  • Tidebornisim - Raging Tide
    Tidebornisim - Raging Tide Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The U.S. needs to invade china. I'll text Obama and tell him to get right on it.

Gl. We have to get past their 1 billion milita b:shocked
    StickyGreen - Level 9x Heavens Tear

Less QQ more Pew Pew b:thanks
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    For the love of ****,the game is based in China,the rights belong to someone or some company in china,the Devs that make changes are in China,the game is based on ancient Chinese culture and allowing same sex marriage is like changing the history of your own culture and race.Who the hell would want to do that.

Also,I find many untruths and idiocy in some of your words.If you don't understand why they do stuff(like the children limit),don't comment about it.Flaming China for doing things you can't understand or bother to search for is stupid.

TL;DR :Don't talk if you do not understand the rationale behind it.You'll just make yourself look like some stupid fool
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    if the couple is ****, unless one of em is a girl char it will be impossible
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • goseri
    goseri Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    For the love of ****,the game is based in China,the rights belong to someone or some company in china,the Devs that make changes are in China,the game is based on ancient Chinese culture and allowing same sex marriage is like changing the history of your own culture and race.Who the hell would want to do that.

Hum... so in ancient Chinese culture, girls can mate with animals?
    b:chuckle
  • teethewicked
    teethewicked Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm actually suprised to see this thread still open. Could it be, that this is something being possibly worked on?
    Seriously though, same-sex marriages are not even so much a moral or homo/hetero issue in an ONLINE GAME.
    1. It has been mentioned, that this is a game, that the marriage is not real. This can be false. Example: A man joins this game, and his wife in real life plays it as well. Which brings me to my next, and most important view on this issue:
    2. This should be added for the gameplay experience more than anything. People typically play as characters they like/are good at, and unfortunately, that is a bit gender-specific in this game. Say a man joins, and makes a male Blademaster, which he likes and is also good at that kind of character class. His wife, also in game, is best with characters that are tanks, and makes a barbarian. I think it is a bit wrong , that a man would not be able to marry his real life wife in game just because the class she is good at happens to be male. Not to mention, this who no-same sex marriage does not stop real life ****/**** couples from marrying in game if one plays as each gender. Furthermore:
    3. For those saying it is based in Ancient China, while that may be somewhat true, don't forget that, it is NOT ancient China, and regardless, as has been mentioned countless times before, Pandas and tigers and wolves don't marry humans in real china, so there are already things that "don't fit in"
    4. It is, no matter what, slightly unfair, to have privileges or bonuses available to friends who just happen to prefer playing as two different characters who CONVENIENTLY happen to be male and female, while other people who prefer playing as chars who just INCONVENIENTLY happen to be the same gender, cannot. At this point, it becomes an issue of fairness to all players, which does, sadly, bring up my last point:
    5. Life is not fair, and while I would greatly enjoy having this added, either it will or it won't. Ultimately, you either stick it out, or you leave. This will EVENTUALLY be implemented, at some point in the future, and I am sure similar friendship/BFF quests will be added in addition, possibly allowing even more interesting gameplay experiences. So, you either deal with it, and enjoy the rest of the things you like about the game until it gets implemented, or you take it too strongly, and leave.

I myself am a Bi guy in a relationship with a guy. Yes, we both play PWI, but he is going to marry a friend in game, and I personally prefer freelancing in MMOs as a hired hand, so I don't really do the whole faction/guild thing or the marriage thing, regardless of possible bonuses.
    Just remember, this is all, in the end, my opinion.b:thanks
    Don't be jealous of my boogie.
    Trainer%20Card.jpg
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I do not know where you have that list from but it is wrong.
    I know of at least 1 more country namely Denmark. Who were the worlds first country to legalise same sex marriage or partnership.

You can always prove me wrong.

However, you are kind of right about Denmark. In October 1989, Denmark became the first country to recognize same-sex unions in the form of "registered partnerships". However, it is not the same as marriages, and they do not have the same rights as hethero couples married.

For example:
    **** and lesbians from Denmark can adopt their partner's biological children (step-child adoption), however, they cannot adopt a child that does not belong to one of them biologicaly. In March 2009, the Danish Parliament decided to work on legislation allowing same-sex couples to jointly apply for adoption, however, that law has not been put in place yet.

The list I provided were just for same-sex marriages, which is not quite the same thing and civil unions or domestic partnerships.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • A_Vanguard - Heavens Tear
    A_Vanguard - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You can always prove me wrong.

However, you are kind of right about Denmark. In October 1989, Denmark became the first country to recognize same-sex unions in the form of "registered partnerships". However, it is not the same as marriages, and they do not have the same rights as hethero couples married.

For example:
    **** and lesbians from Denmark can adopt their partner's biological children (step-child adoption), however, they cannot adopt a child that does not belong to one of them biologicaly. In March 2009, the Danish Parliament decided to work on legislation allowing same-sex couples to jointly apply for adoption, however, that law has not been put in place yet.

The list I provided were just for same-sex marriages, which is not quite the same thing and civil unions or domestic partnerships.

Actually I'm ashamed to say. Your right.

Still I want to point out that there are lots of countries where even though it is not called marriage. Same sex relation ships is neither illegal nor looked down upon.
    Those are not on your list. The list would be a great deal longer if they were.
    Those countries and those who has same rights and call it marriage are so many it is wrong to ignore it by an international game.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Actually I'm ashamed to say. Your right.

Still I want to point out that there are lots of countries where even though it is not called marriage. Same sex relation ships is neither illegal nor looked down upon.
    Those are not on your list. The list would be a great deal longer if they were.
    Those countries and those who has same rights and call it marriage are so many it is wrong to ignore it by an international game.

With that I can agree.
    But the title of this thread is "same-sex marraige/embrace", therefore I used the countries that fall under the thread topic.

If you look at the list of countries where it is a capital crime being **** (as in death sentense), and the list of countries where it is "only" illegal (meaning jai time or psyc hospital), than you realize that list is actualy longer than the countries that accept same sex unions of any type, as unfortunate as that is.

The vast majority of the countries in the world follow the let it be approach, where it is not illegal, but is not recognized either.

From a pure game experience, I am sure PWE will figure out a way to let same gender chanracters being able to use the marriage quest in game, since they are loosing money by not doing it. Even if it is not called marriege, but best friends/buddy/mentor, etc. Of course it will be a CS item to do that :)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Teumessia - Heavens Tear
    Teumessia - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I can see it now... A white tiger riding on another white tiger's back... A male BM carrying another male BM through the sky... *kiss*
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    multiple female/female marriages are on Arch right now.
    Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
    edited April 2010
    Options
    multiple female/female marriages are on Arch right now.

Not sure I understand you. Are you saying females can marry females now or were it a bug?
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Not sure I understand you. Are you saying females can marry females now or were it a bug?

Females cannot carry females. It's not a bug, more like a bypass.
  • Manta_Claus - Sanctuary
    Manta_Claus - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I can see it now... A white tiger riding on another white tiger's back... A male BM carrying another male BM through the sky... *kiss*
    Well, hopefully we'll never see that. People keep claiming this is only a game but they must remember that there are also young people that play this game. I can see allowing characters of the same gender to carry each other but not in an intimate way and they should not be allowed to kiss each other. My 6yr old son enjoys this game but i don't want him exposed to this immorality.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, hopefully we'll never see that. People keep claiming this is only a game but they must remember that there are also young people that play this game. I can see allowing characters of the same gender to carry each other but not in an intimate way and they should not be allowed to kiss each other. My 6yr old son enjoys this game but i don't want him exposed to this immorality.

Lets see.
    Quoting form the ToS
    5. Account

You may be required to create an account (an "Account") to access our Games and certain features and functions or our Service. You must be 13 years of age or older to create an Account. If you are 13 or over, but are under the age of 18, we require that you review these Terms with your parents or guardian to ensure they read and agree to them. If you are the parent of guardian of a user of our website and you have questions about this website or these terms, please contact us at tos@perfectworldinc.com.

By creating an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that you are at least age 18 and agree to these Terms, or that you are over 13 years of age and your parents or legal guardian have read and agreed to these Terms, and you understand and agree that we are relying upon that representation in allowing you to use the Service. Only one person may use an Account.

Notwithstanding the above, certain portions of our Website and some of our games may contain mature contents not suitable for anyone younger than 18 years of age. We will require that you confirm that you are 18 years of age or older to access such content. If you enter any portion of the Website which is intended for or is marked for mature audiences only, you are certifying that you are at least 18 years old or the applicable age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside and have the legal right to access such content. We shall not be responsible in any way for your failure to accurately confirm your age per the terms hereunder.

I may have missunderstod this but as fare as I can see a person who creats and account has to be at least 13 years old and only one person may use that account. So he can not use yours.

I am not going to discus moral with you only inform you that your kid is to young to play anyway according to the ToS.
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Females cannot carry females. It's not a bug, more like a bypass.

explain plz. I am curious. Are you saying females can marry females now???
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mythsoul - Heavens Tear
    Mythsoul - Heavens Tear Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Why be **** in first place?
    All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    explain plz. I am curious. Are you saying females can marry females now???

Here is how they do it.

Player 1 has a female character named ice (I C E)
    Player makes a male character named jce (J C E), in game, lower case Js look like lower case Is.

Player 2 has a female character named sophia (S O P H I A)
    Player 2 makes a male character named sophja (S O P H J A)

Now, Player 1 female character marries Player 2 male character.
    Player 1 male character marries Player 2 female character

So now you have 4 characters married.
    When they play they mains (both females), what you will see is"

ice "sophja wife"
    sophia 'jce wife" in game it look like they are married to eachother.

So PW made 120 dollars out of it, since they had to marry 4 characters.
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    oooh I really alwayz wondered how that worked.. haha.. thx for the explanation
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?
  • teethewicked
    teethewicked Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

And you forget, your opinion of what is immoral or wrong is not the same as that of others. Not to mention, allowing a six year old to play a game where women can run around in their underwear and marry anthropomorphic animal men isn't exactly responsible in the opinions of others.
    Why be **** in first place?

Fail. This was obviously not even thought out before being posted.

Seriously, peeps, this isn't even so much a moral issue, as I said before, but more of a fairness in gameplay. My boyfriend did a quest with his Tideborn male this morning involving climbing up a ship and walking across a rope, and it is unfair that females can simply have males carry them up, while males cannot be carried by other males or females. Of course, as I said before, the real world is not fair anyway, so in the end, deal with it and wait for it to change, which it eventually will, or leave. There are other things in the game that make it worth playing.
    Don't be jealous of my boogie.
    Trainer%20Card.jpg
  • Fox_Angel - Harshlands
    Fox_Angel - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Here is how they do it.

Player 1 has a female character named ice (I C E)
    Player makes a male character named jce (J C E), in game, lower case Js look like lower case Is.

Player 2 has a female character named sophia (S O P H I A)
    Player 2 makes a male character named sophja (S O P H J A)

Now, Player 1 female character marries Player 2 male character.
    Player 1 male character marries Player 2 female character

So now you have 4 characters married.
    When they play they mains (both females), what you will see is"

ice "sophja wife"
    sophia 'jce wife" in game it look like they are married to eachother.

So PW made 120 dollars out of it, since they had to marry 4 characters.
    Ok then couldnt males do the same thing then? Problem solved ^^
    Nuclear launch detected.

KainAlon: OOOMMMGGGGG
    Xenark: HOLY!!! It's the end of the world....Maybe?
    Cackle: OH GOD A NUCLEAR LAUNCH
    Hermit_Sage: Take Cover
    Kaalt: holy shea we doomed
    xluthienx: OMG PWI HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR
    Crescentia: EVERYONE GRAB A CLERIC AND MAKE THEM BB
    Slodki_PL: AAAAA EVERYBODY DOWN!!!
    Vodevil: GMs are drunks
    Fox_Angel: The bomb was detected but never went off.....darn it
    Saya_: Its still flying here
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ok then couldnt males do the same thing then? Problem solved ^^

Correct, the the 2 male accounts would look like they are also married to eachother.

So male account SOPHJA will say "Ice's husband"
    Male account ICJ will say "sofia's husband"

Same way as their female main characters look like they are married to eachother, the 2 male accounts would also look like they are married to eachother.

This is one way to have 2 barbs look married, or any other 2 characters of same gender in-game.
This discussion has been closed.