My pure dex archer keeps dieing

Remivaughn - Raging Tide
Remivaughn - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Archer
ive gone for a 4 dex 1 str for 38 lvls now and i keep dieing i want to stay with the same build but does anyone know any ways in which i could stay alive, i dont hunt anything dangerous
Post edited by Remivaughn - Raging Tide on

Comments

• mulanrouge
    mulanrouge Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    learn to kite
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Remivaughn - Raging Tide
    Remivaughn - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    mulanrouge wrote: »
    learn to kite
    whats kite?
  • Basch - Lost City
    Basch - Lost City Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    whats kite?

You're kidding right? You rolled an archer, which is fairly squishy, and don't know how to kite to stay alive?
  • mulanrouge
    mulanrouge Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    simply put - running from the mobs, then attack, running, attack

archers are ranged and should have to real issue with any mob. magic mobs might give slight trouble, but you have shell you could use as a backup just in case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Laurrella - Dreamweaver
    Laurrella - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    whats kite?

Kiting is attacking mobs then moving around to keep some distance between you and them so you can continue attacking at range without them getting you. It can work well if you have open areas and are attacking melee mobs.

You might be dying because of the skill choices and order. I usually start out with Take Aim, Vicious Arrow, Knockback Arrow, then either Aim Low if they still have a fair amount of hit points left or Lightning Strike to finish them. Depending on your crits you might even need to go that long.
    Laurrixa - 64 Sin
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    Brutu - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    In the 20s I used take aim-frost arrow-lightning strike-knockback arrow-frost arrow again-then just spam fire until the thing falls down and I was good for most things.

If you come up against a increased life mob or miss alot for some reason, keep distance from the mob and hit it with frost arrow/knockback arrow/lightning strike whenever you can.
  • Ohhboru - Sanctuary
    Ohhboru - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I never kite lol. My archer is lvl52 now and only died 2 times: once when I accidentally ran into a boss and once because I got disconnected during a fight and when I logged back on I was dead. What I do: frost arrow - normal attack - normal - knockback - normal til mob is dead.
    If it gets close: winged shell and winged pledge.
    You better ignore increased life / def mobs for now.
    Don't be afraid to use potions, make / buy life powders.
    Your damage will get better and better and won't use many potions at higher lvls. I very rarely need potions now. I'm a new player and I'm not too experienced but I'm doing fine, I love my archer. :)
  • Archalt - Sanctuary
    Archalt - Sanctuary Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I never kite lol. My archer is lvl52 now and only died 2 times: once when I accidentally ran into a boss and once because I got disconnected during a fight and when I logged back on I was dead. What I do: frost arrow - normal attack - normal - knockback - normal til mob is dead.
    Your damage will get better and better and won't use many potions at higher lvls. I very rarely need potions now. I'm a new player and I'm not too experienced but I'm doing fine, I love my archer. :)

^ This.
    Congrats, you know how to play an Archer! b:victory
    ◄ Alt for posting. | PVE Sage Archer and happy with it.
  • Delsedora - Archosaur
    Delsedora - Archosaur Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    That's because you dont have a strategy... i use this:

(i'm lvl 37)
    14 vit
    150 dex
    42 Str

And i have 1.3k HP 8% Crit Chance and good P.Def

ok, time to train....

i use this:
    (Having Chi)

Buffs:
    Wings of Protection lvl 3 (dodge chance and speed move)
    Blazing Arrow lvl 6 (+fire dmg)

first hit: Frozen Arrow (makes the target slow) +1k hit (1.6k Critical Strike)
    second hit: Lighting Arrow +1k hit (+1.9k Critical Hit)
    hit (waiting for critical strike +1500 - 2800 hit)

if the target goes too close to me i use Winged Pledge 900+ hit

and finish the mob using the normal hit

And, a couple of mana potions (and maybe some HP potions)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Delsedora - Archosaur
    edited March 2010
    In the 20s I used take aim-frost arrow-lightning strike-knockback arrow-frost arrow again-then just spam fire until the thing falls down and I was good for most things.

If you come up against a increased life mob or miss alot for some reason, keep distance from the mob and hit it with frost arrow/knockback arrow/lightning strike whenever you can.

Please, DONT do that, you're gonna waste a LOT of MP potions...

BTW: A good choise of skills are:

Wings of Protection (Buff)
    Blazing Arrow (buff)

Aim Low (stun)
    Lighting Strike
    Hit
    Hit
    Frozen Arrow (slow)
    Hit

(waiting for the Critical Strike on any normal hit, or even on the skills)

Take Aim it's not a good skil at high lvl, just when you're starting, but, it's a waste of spritir and money lvling Take Aim, same as Quick Shot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aquaknight - Lost City
    Aquaknight - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    How to live as a pure dex build:

Kite
    100 HP Pots at any one time
    Look for +__ Vit EQ
    Take mobs 1 at a time
    Grind for money for pots
    Keep EQ updated
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Please, DONT do that, you're gonna waste a LOT of MP potions...

BTW: A good choise of skills are:

Wings of Protection (Buff)
    Blazing Arrow (buff)

Aim Low (stun)
    Lighting Strike
    Hit
    Hit
    Frozen Arrow (slow)
    Hit

(waiting for the Critical Strike on any normal hit, or even on the skills)

Take Aim it's not a good skil at high lvl, just when you're starting, but, it's a waste of spritir and money lvling Take Aim, same as Quick Shot
    I did this and still had enough money to buy my TT xbow 10 levels ahead of time, get all the armor I want and so on.

As far as aim low, that isn't a stun... Its a freeze(even though in skill description it says stun when I use it things still hit me)but this is besides the point, aim low takes one spark and if it takes the amount of hits you listed there you would only regen 30 chi as a result, so, how can one constantly use aim low on targets?

As far as take aim being useless, it is only eclipse by deadly shot in effectiveness when you get to 49, it absolutely should be your opening shot as it will instantly take away about a third of the enemy's health so it has less of a chance to get to you and you don't need to somehow find a way to spam a 1 spark skill.

Lastly, you forgot knockback arrow.
  • Delsedora - Archosaur
    edited March 2010
    I did this and still had enough money to buy my TT xbow 10 levels ahead of time, get all the armor I want and so on.

As far as aim low, that isn't a stun... Its a freeze(even though in skill description it says stun when I use it things still hit me)but this is besides the point, aim low takes one spark and if it takes the amount of hits you listed there you would only regen 30 chi as a result, so, how can one constantly use aim low on targets?

As far as take aim being useless, it is only eclipse by deadly shot in effectiveness when you get to 49, it absolutely should be your opening shot as it will instantly take away about a third of the enemy's health so it has less of a chance to get to you and you don't need to somehow find a way to spam a 1 spark skill.

Lastly, you forgot knockback arrow.

its stupid think that you can use Aim Low all the time... xD! becuase it cost 1 spark.. remember Aim Low has a 90% Chance to stun (the other 10% dont :P) but, for any reason it doest work agains bosses... xD!! anyway... it takes a lot of time charge Take Aim, that's because i'd use quick skills :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    its stupid think that you can use Aim Low all the time... xD! becuase it cost 1 spark.. remember Aim Low has a 90% Chance to stun (the other 10% dont :P) but, for any reason it doest work agains bosses... xD!! anyway... it takes a lot of time charge Take Aim, that's because i'd use quick skills :P
    Then why did you ask him to handle mobs with aim low? Because if all he uses is frost arrow/lightning strike/arrow spam then he will never get enough chi to use aim low(frost arrow uses chi)and the mobs will get to him/he would have to run.

It is much more efficient and feasible to use my method then trying the above.

Oh and lastly, it is freeze not stun, it is a big difference(I don't know why it's labeled stun tbh).

As far as take aim, yes it does, but the charge time doesn't matter if your charging it whilst the mob is just walking around ie use that skill as the first skill... So the charge time doesn't matter.
  • Delsedora - Archosaur
    edited March 2010
    Then why did you ask him to handle mobs with aim low? Because if all he uses is frost arrow/lightning strike/arrow spam then he will never get enough chi to use aim low(frost arrow uses chi)and the mobs will get to him/he would have to run.

It is much more efficient and feasible to use my method then trying the above.

Oh and lastly, it is freeze not stun, it is a big difference(I don't know why it's labeled stun tbh).

As far as take aim, yes it does, but the charge time doesn't matter if your charging it whilst the mob is just walking around ie use that skill as the first skill... So the charge time doesn't matter.

i've never told hime "use this" i said that it was a good selection of skills...

Frost Arrow only uses 25 Chi, Lighting Strike recover chi, and every hit gives more chi... each mob you will just use 25 chi, that let's you with 75 chi if you need'em for any other skills...

i get atleast 2 spark points on each mob... doesnt matter...

EDIT:

Aim Low (Level 1) says:

"Focus all your energy to aim a single shot inflicting base physical damage plus 953.1 and has 90% chance to STUN the target for 5.3 seconds."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lmaonade1xp
    lmaonade1xp Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i've never told hime "use this" i said that it was a good selection of skills...

Frost Arrow only uses 25 Chi, Lighting Strike recover chi, and every hit gives more chi... each mob you will just use 25 chi, that let's you with 75 chi if you need'em for any other skills...

EDIT:

Aim Low (Level 1) says:

"Focus all your energy to aim a single shot inflicting base physical damage plus 953.1 and has 90% chance to STUN the target for 5.3 seconds."

Is this your first character? if yes, then mistaking the description for actual effect is understandable, if not, then you need to read less, and play more.
    Aim Low is in fact a FREEZE, not a STUN, please use it on a mob and look at the effect.

and as for pure dex, you should NEVER die in pve, heck, you shouldn't even be hit more than 1 time per mob! (unless you miss, but there's kiting for that, another reason to stay pure dex: you miss less therefore die less)

as for chi for frost arrow, there is no need to calculate anything on that, 25 chi is so easy to regain that its nearly negligible, if you need chi because you just logged on, then go hug someone or just spam wings of protection a few times.

For skill usage there should really only be 2 main skills, freeze arrow and knockback, no need for anything else unless they have increased life or some other defensive perk.
    the combo i used forever was:
    freeze arrow ~> attack ~> attack ~> knockback ~> attack till dead
    mobs usually hit me only once, and no times if they are slow enough.

Don't really understand why people are recommending such absurdly mp wasting skill chains, low lvl pve is a joke.

Also, Aquaknight's recommendations are only partially effective, I would say go for more +dex equipment than +vit, because pure dex should stay pure dex, if you balance out you die, instead of balancing out, just bolster your strengths. (this is for regular grinding of course, when faced with a boss with nasty aoe's, then you could use some hp).
  • Brutu - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010

EDIT:

Aim Low (Level 1) says:

The way you posted that"good selection of skills"was in the format of use this against each mob as it was a rebuttal against my use this against each mob.

You get 2 sparks off each mob? Well I do not know if the way archers get chi is any different then melee classes but each hit for a melee class is about 5 chi, so umm what mobs do you have to smack 40 times for them to die? Because the average mob for me unless I miss takes about 5-6 hits to kill which would equate to 25-30 chi.

For the final comment look at the post above mine.

As far as frost arrow/knockback only comment, this never worked for me(pure dex build archer)especially in the 20s-30s and believe me I tried. And even at level 58 I am unable to do this against most mobs as my average hit is about 1500 with a bow with a .67 att/sec which equates to about 1k damage per second... The mobs I currently fight have about 12k hp and if I only used 1 frost arrow and 1 knockback barring missing and crits the mob usually gets to me with about 2k hp left which gives it about 2-3 strikes in before it dies.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    What armaments and shards do you have and having only 5 vit all depends on type of player you are?
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    For the record,Aim Low description is wrong.It actually just freezes the enemy for that amount of time.

Take Aim isn't really sucky later on.Take Aim uses less mana to deal less dmg compared to Deadly Shot and if u don't lvl it,it's a good chi generator.

Personally,I use this combo:
    Take Aim/Deadly Shot ->Normal hit ->Wingspan+Knockback/Knockback ->Normal
    Chi efficient and pretty mana efficient too.I'm not a big fan of frost arrow so i dont use it much.
    I use STA on Increased life mobs since the hp reduced along witth the dmg combined is larger than using Take Aim/Deadly Shot then i follow with Aim Low or Frost Arrow to deal mroe dmg before it comes to me
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Don't use STA on those Inc Life and Inc Def mobs if you are grinding for experience. The game uses the amount of damage you do to the mob (which does not include the HP taken off by STA's effect) to calculate your experience reward. This is how it allocates the experience when multiple people are on the same mob, but it also means you will cheat yourself when you are solo. Using Aim Low, 5-6 normal shots and then your usual attack combo (starting while it is still frozen) or using a spark eruption is generally an easier solution.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • WarTigerZ - Heavens Tear
    WarTigerZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ive gone for a 4 dex 1 str for 38 lvls now and i keep dieing i want to stay with the same build but does anyone know any ways in which i could stay alive, i dont hunt anything dangerous

That happened alot to my archer (lv60 atm) at those levels, dont hurt to put a few points into vit then later in the game put it into dex or you could just buy a charm o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<-- made by me o.o
    I know its very simple and plain, but I like it XD.

I'm back! I knew I said i'd never come back but yeah im back now :p.
  • Yuji_Sakai - Harshlands
    Yuji_Sakai - Harshlands Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited March 2010

This person knows how to play an archer. Learn from them.

Too many skills is bad. Pure dex archers are centered around their normals, use them.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Don't use STA on those Inc Life and Inc Def mobs if you are grinding for experience. The game uses the amount of damage you do to the mob (which does not include the HP taken off by STA's effect) to calculate your experience reward. This is how it allocates the experience when multiple people are on the same mob, but it also means you will cheat yourself when you are solo. Using Aim Low, 5-6 normal shots and then your usual attack combo (starting while it is still frozen) or using a spark eruption is generally an easier solution.

For some weird reason,I get the same amount of exp even if STA effect is still there when i kill the mob.Need to check and confirm again.
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Um...It might be because your letting the mob get super close to your ****?

I may only have a lvl 4 archer, but I know not to let any mob near me since it cuts my attack power in half, and makes it were I could die.

If you want good skills, I'd say check on the skill "Take Aim" and increase it's lvl. Sure it's casting time may be long, but damn does it single shot all mobs XD
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    since my pattern for kiting is good at distance..
    take aim-quickshot-knockback-aim low, then run
    follow it up with thunder shock, its pretty much dead by then
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010

noob, waste of arrows, you must be dieing like hell like that. I done the same **** like you and ended up dead and was pooring more money than spamming skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    noob, waste of arrows, you must be dieing like hell like that. I done the same **** like you and ended up dead and was pooring more money than spamming skills.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or stupid.
    frost -> normals -> knockback -> normals is the most efficient combo at mid levels

Later on with better weapons and more interval gear you can drop the frost and save the chi for demon spark and barrage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or stupid.
    frost -> normals -> knockback -> normals is the most efficient combo at mid levels

Later on with better weapons and more interval gear you can drop the frost and save the chi for demon spark and barrage.

Riight, archers have the worst DPS due for normal attack. Even magic instruments have a better DPS than ranged weapons b:shutup Hell, my veno could out damage my archer in normal attacks and he's pure DEX. intervals in gear would compensate for such horrid attack rate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Riight, archers have the worst DPS due for normal attack. Even magic instruments have a better DPS than ranged weapons b:shutup Hell, my veno could out damage my archer in normal attacks and he's pure DEX. intervals in gear would compensate for such horrid attack rate

Learn your acronyms. DPS = Damage Per Second. In the case of Archers, you're confusing "worst" with "best".

They do, however, have the lowest attack rate. And unless your veno is a HA veno with massively pimped out gear, or that weird foxform fist veno variant, you're not going to get anywhere near an archer of equal level's DPS.

@Astrelle - I'm honestly leaning towards stupid at this point.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010

I would love to see that and there is no way magic is meant for magic not normal.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.