My pure dex archer keeps dieing

2»

Comments

• Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Learn your acronyms. DPS = Damage Per Second. In the case of Archers, you're confusing "worst" with "best".

They do, however, have the lowest attack rate. And unless your veno is a HA veno with massively pimped out gear, or that weird foxform fist veno variant, you're not going to get anywhere near an archer of equal level's DPS.

@Astrelle - I'm honestly leaning towards stupid at this point.

no, my veno is LA built, and she have both arcane and light armor b:chuckle... And I love the build. And my weapon is +0 xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • WarTigerZ - Heavens Tear
    WarTigerZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Riight, archers have the worst DPS due for normal attack. Even magic instruments have a better DPS than ranged weapons b:shutup Hell, my veno could out damage my archer in normal attacks and he's pure DEX. intervals in gear would compensate for such horrid attack rate

You wait till higher levels, most people quit archers at mid levels cause of this problem.
    Even though it is hard, it pays off...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<-- made by me o.o
    I know its very simple and plain, but I like it XD.

I'm back! I knew I said i'd never come back but yeah im back now :p.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ive gone for a 4 dex 1 str for 38 lvls now and i keep dieing i want to stay with the same build but does anyone know any ways in which i could stay alive, i dont hunt anything dangerous

Pretty sure everyone thats new to the game dies a lot at lvl 33, doesn't matter what class you play <.<

Wizards, archers and sins all drops pretty fast in pve from mobs at low levels if you try tank stuff for to long.

So i really dont think its about build, more that you dont know how to pay attention. Use Winged Shell before a mob, than start with Frost Arrow to slow them down, than Knock Back arrow when they get to close and auto shots in between. Its very easy, but run/fly if you get several mobs on and stack up on hp pots.
  • Imuran - Dreamweaver
    Imuran - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Am I the only one that uses Vicious Arrow? I start off with that then normal hits while it's coming at me, when it's close to me I hit it with Knockback Arrow. I'm lvl 23 and have only died a few times so far.
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Am I the only one that uses Vicious Arrow?

yes
    /10chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • Mystykk - Heavens Tear
    Mystykk - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I use vicious arrow for my combo ender....dont have much of a better choice....heheh

Also i've been using Frost Arrow-Normal-Normal-Knockback-Normal-Quickshot-Lightning Strike-Vicious Arrow (it only hits if i miss a bit or get really unlucky on Damage) And this is saving me More chi than my other combo, and a bit of mana too :)

And lately i havent been dieing much, ever since i started using this combo anyways :D
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Also i've been using Frost Arrow-Normal-Normal-Knockback-Normal-Quickshot-Lightning Strike-Vicious Arrow

Try Frost -> Normal -> Normal -> Knockback -> Normal the rest.

If that doesn't work, prepend a Take Aim at the beginning.

These posts are making you pure archers look bad. I thought we hybrids were the ones who are supposed to struggle in grinding.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I use vicious arrow for my combo ender....dont have much of a better choice....heheh

Also i've been using Frost Arrow-Normal-Normal-Knockback-Normal-Quickshot-Lightning Strike-Vicious Arrow (it only hits if i miss a bit or get really unlucky on Damage) And this is saving me More chi than my other combo, and a bit of mana too :)

And lately i havent been dieing much, ever since i started using this combo anyways :D

I gave you combo a try and it wasn't bad although it is building the chi up with WOP to use frost arrow.I switched out vicious for serregated as i was grinding on wood mobs
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I find Archer really easy to survive on lolz. died 2 tiems until 60 now, and these 2 times was cos we all wiped in a bh29 run at qingzi.. no deaths anywhere beside that.
    and yes pure dex.
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Ewww whats up with all these archers spamming useless skills while grinding. Skills like Deadly shoot, Vicious arrow, Serrated Arrow etc should never be used on mobs. Its a total waste of mana and you do less dmg as over time.

As an archer your main DD-source is just auto shoot, nothing else. Only skills you should ever use for grinding is stun arrow/ frost arrow to start of than knock back arrow when a mob comes in mele range.

Only time you use metal skills is on defense increased mobs, never on regular ones. If you wanna finish of a mob in mele range and knock back is on cooldown, use winged pledge since its costs less mana than Metal or Wingspan since its a knock back skill.

No clue why you would use 100000 different skills when you kill mobs as archer. I guess if you're on of those players that likes to waste money and look at silly animations, its understandable lol
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    You want to make up a combo on that so auto-auto-frost arrow-auto-stun arrow-auto-kb and lighting strike.

I gave this a try and instead of running out of mana it was hps.
  • Shandelzare - Sanctuary
    Shandelzare - Sanctuary Posts: 732 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    You're kidding right? You rolled an archer, which is fairly squishy, and don't know how to kite to stay alive?

Lol you actually kite mobs? They're supposed to die before reaching you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Andraste_ - Sanctuary
    Andraste_ - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I'm pure dex also and earlier on it was sometimes difficult to keep mobs away using Frost-Normal-Normal-Knockback-Normal til dead.

I don't have heaps of experience but the best advice I can give is to know the mobs you're killing and modify the above combo accordingly. Those mutant jackaleopardites at shining tidewood are a good example. They're phys mobs but will pause to seal you. For those mobs it was safer for me to do: Frost-Normal-Normal-Normal-Knockback-Normal til dead. The mob starts channelling its seal around the 2nd normal shot so you have time to get a 3rd one in before knocking it back due to the pause.

With mobs like the torgin braves/sentries (forget the name exactly) that stun you, what I'd do is Frost-Normal til stunned-knockback-Normal til dead. That usually ended up in 3 normal shots before knockback. If I did 2 normals then knockback, I'd get stunned before letting knockback off, however getting off that 3rd normal before being stunned is like when you kill archer mobs and they fire at you as they die. Really annoying but something we can turn around and use for our benefit.

If you're killing slow mobs like the blobs, you can add one more normal before knocking it back.

For magic mobs like those ossein guards, you can dodge getting hit by the mob when it first runs into range by only doing 1 normal shot before knockback (same with poison mobs if you find you're getting poisoned). So Frost-Normal-Knockback til dead. It depends on the speed of the mob and how quickly it channels.

For the melee mobs I've been on recently, like the Tauroc Valorians, I do the standard Frost-Normal-Normal-Knockback-Normal til dead.

Quillhog-type mobs like Quillhog Blades pause as their HP is getting lower to bramble themselves. If you miss a few shots (one time my frost and knockback both missed), these types of mobs can easily be kited. If needed I run back a bit, fire once and keep running back until I see the mob bramble itself, then stop and do normal shots til dead. Generally you won't need to kite much if you use winged pledge or wingspan or unless you happen to miss a few shots.

This is my experience while using bows, so I'm not sure how big a difference there would be if using a crossbow.

tl;dr Mobs aren't all exactly the same (different speeds, different attacks) so figure out what they do and how you can avoid getting hit by modifying the standard combo (adding or leaving out a normal shot before knocking back) to compensate.
  • Amplius - Lost City
    Amplius - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    i just use stunning arrow now that it is lvl 10 and normal all the way till the mobs dead . When i have a spark i just use aim low and i cant even move when its dead . mobs normally never hit on me now and im glad i stayed pure buld , its awsome i hit 10 k crit with normal attacksb:pleased
  • Haxxz - Harshlands
    Haxxz - Harshlands Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    i just use stunning arrow now that it is lvl 10 and normal all the way till the mobs dead . When i have a spark i just use aim low and i cant even move when its dead . mobs normally never hit on me now..

This.

Mobs generally never hit me unless they're Increased Life/Def/Speed, and in the odd occasion they do get melee range I use knockback arrow.

However, frost arrow+knockback (kiting if need be) is the best you can do until you get aim low or stun with decent % to stun.
  • Hopjump - Archosaur
    Hopjump - Archosaur Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    noob, waste of arrows, you must be dieing like hell like that. I done the same **** like you and ended up dead and was pooring more money than spamming skills.

LMAO! Arrows cost 2 coins each. You do not have to buy the expensive ones for grinding. Skillspamming costs more money than normal attacks - potions cost more than arrows. Learn before you call someone a noob. What Ohhboru wrote isn't **** - that's the right way to play an archer. If you die all the time, you're doing something wrong. This proves that YOU are the noob. b:chuckle
  • ugysekell
    ugysekell Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    No offence, but players who die as a pure dex archer, should choose an other class. Seriously. Not easy to play an archer at low lvls, they get better after mid lvls only... But still, my archer almost never dies, because I know how to play. Guides are your friend. Read them and learn. We have awesome archer guides. OR stop playing an archer and roll a boring overrated venomancer without challenge, like most of the lazy PWI players. A class with no challenge, isn't a class worth playing.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    auto-auto-frost arrow-auto-stun arrow-auto-kb and lighting strike

is not a mob killing combo. this is self pwning combo. why would you auto twice then use frost? then lightning strike right after kb?

basic combo is
    frost - hit x2 - knockback - hit til dead. sometimes mobs will self buff when their hp reaches a certain point, depends on your damage actually, thus you may not even need to knock back. sometimes mobs will pause to debuff you, (say certain mobs that cast slow first) and you may not need to knockback either. if you crit at least twice in a mob fight, you will not need knockback - this gets consistent at 9x, i've stopped using knockback on normal mobs personally. with increased life mobs you may want to cast aim low, or combine wingspan with knockback arrow, or stun after knockback. do what works for you, using the least amount of spells possible to conserve mana.

if you have much -interval and fairly high refinement

HIT TIL DEAD

TRIPLE SPARK, HIT TIL DEAD
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited April 2010

if you have much -interval and fairly high refinement

HIT TIL DEAD

TRIPLE SPARK, HIT TIL DEAD

Tab and autofire for me :D
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    ugysekell wrote: »
    No offence, but players who die as a pure dex archer, should choose an other class. Seriously. Not easy to play an archer at low lvls, they get better after mid lvls only... But still, my archer almost never dies, because I know how to play. Guides are your friend. Read them and learn. We have awesome archer guides. OR stop playing an archer and roll a boring overrated venomancer without challenge, like most of the lazy PWI players. A class with no challenge, isn't a class worth playing.

It is when played in werefox going up a against bosses in TT and other bosses.You got TW to think about to.