TW system needs to be tweaked

samasalao
samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
I think the TW system is flawed, In pwi's santuary server all the map but 1 land is own by a single faction.

I am not blaming the faction, they are mighty and got it legit. I am blaming the system, is something that should not happen.

Over the time numerous suggestion has been made but admins and developers keep ignoring it, IDK if they think is fair for a faction to own everything or not, but one thing I am sure: "is not fun", not for the faction that owns everything much less for the weaker factions struggling to win a land.

I am not here to post a solution, many has been posted like the farther you are from your faction base/capital land / main land the weaker the faction members become and so on, many ppl has posted good solutions but no admins keep ignoring it, right now TW system on sanctuary (and some other servers it seems ) is unfun predictable and extremely boring.

Edit: all of snactuary lands are owned by a single faction that earns like 500+ millions per weekend, any chance of anyone defeating them? no, TW is over in sanctuary server.

20100327115731.th.png

Admins / Developers please do something about TW.
Post edited by samasalao on

Comments

• Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    No and if you're going to become one of the many many people QQ'ing about how TW is unfair and how everyone should be able to TW, own land blah blah blah at least do it on you main, thanks.

/Thread.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    TW is in fact very fun. don't like where you're at? move. have you seen the DW TW map? cala dominates it, but it is fun to go against them, it's a challenge, and I love a challenge.

**** the rules, I have green hair!
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    Samsoul - Lost City Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    My opinion is simple. Fix the broke **** before you mess with the fine stuff? :<
    Samsoul - fail psychic of Lost City!

...I will melt your brain... and decrease your IQ by 150...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • INovaI - Archosaur
    INovaI - Archosaur Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The dominating faction worked hard for their lands. Go earn some land instead of QQing.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Omg a lvl 3 director. HOW CUTE. (i'm not being mean, just lowering your mindpower<3)

And yeah, the bigger guilds usually pour a lot of blood, sweat, tears and cash into this game to get the lands they own.

Changing it is like slapping them in their faces.

..not smart. :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isolationz - Archosaur
    Isolationz - Archosaur Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    TBH i dont care. IF a faction wins it they win it thats how the game works. Keep it as it is. It is fine!
  • MyJohnson - Raging Tide
    MyJohnson - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    one faction dominating a map is entirely on the players, the game and the devs have nothing to do with that. if the players really want to take out the "top" factions all they have to do is group together and stop that faction. get over yourselves and join up to stop the "red menace" then disband and start all over. it takes work but its been done before, if you want it to change YOU need to make the change.
  • GothicAngeI - Heavens Tear
    GothicAngeI - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    one faction dominating a map is entirely on the players, the game and the devs have nothing to do with that.

Actually you are wrong.

The "games" TW rules sets a limit on how many level one lands a faction should be allowed to own.

The game itself doesnt enforce its own rule for w/e reason (bug,glitch etc), the Devs dont fix it and the GM's ? Well TBH im not sure what the GM's stance is on the Rule not being enforced, I think they pretty much just ignore it.

Granted a Faction would still be able to dominate 97% of the map if it was "fixed" , but not 100% of its biggest income lands
  • MyJohnson - Raging Tide
    MyJohnson - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Actually you are wrong.

The "games" TW rules sets a limit on how many level one lands a faction should be allowed to own.

The game itself doesnt enforce its own rule for w/e reason (bug,glitch etc), the Devs dont fix it and the GM's ? Well TBH im not sure what the GM's stance is on the Rule not being enforced, I think they pretty much just ignore it.

Granted a Faction would still be able to dominate 97% of the map if it was "fixed" , but not 100% of its biggest income lands

so according to you there is a limit to the number of lvl 1 territories, since there is only 2 lvl 1 territories then one faction can hold all except one territory if this was correct. if one faction holds all except one territory then would that faction be dominating the map? if this isn't dominating then i don't know what is.
  • BarbHammer - Heavens Tear
    BarbHammer - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    My opinion is simple. Fix the broke **** before you mess with the fine stuff? :<

+1
    Omg a lvl 3 director. HOW CUTE. (i'm not being mean, just lowering your mindpower<3)

And yeah, the bigger guilds usually pour a lot of blood, sweat, tears and cash into this game to get the lands they own.

Changing it is like slapping them in their faces.

..not smart. :(

They already did that with the Oracles and anni packs.

Topic: TW is fine, don't like it go to new server and work there. Start your own dominating guild.
    I do as the Romans do, I wash my hands of thee.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    First and foremost: TW is not fine in certain respects.

Lots of TW rules exist, but are never enforced. Other TW rules exist, but aren't enforced for the reason they exist. Instead they seem to be used as a "Well this is why" explanation even when that isn't the case at all. As long as this continues, TW is not fine and there are things that need to be reworked, and reconsidered.

However, so far, many suggestions people have come up with haven't been thought out. "Reset the map, reset the map!" is not a thought out fix for TW if you don't sit down and consider the work, effort and cash that goes into it and you actually plan out a proper schedule during which resets would work.

Resetting the map would work if it was on a timed basis. Perhaps a reset every six months if you want a challenge, meaning guilds have to be more tactical than having some huge guild randomly place their finger on a territory that's not theirs and then just attack that because it's a bit of land they don't own.

So. In some ways, TW is broken. But for the most part, it is a minority that cause this, not the majority. To cry that TW needs to be fixed because of the minority is like saying to never sell packs again because the minority of players [those who post on forums, and yes we are a minority] don't want them. It's not fair for the majority.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Well when you think about it, they're is a lot of broken stuff before TW. My opinion fix the glitches and bugs before working on something like that.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    Well when you think about it, they're is a lot of broken stuff before TW. My opinion fix the glitches and bugs before working on something like that.

The thing is, why compare a bug to TW? The two aren't the same.

I agree. Bug fixes should be dealt with before changes to gameplay that aren't considered bugs.

However, comparing TW to a glitch or a bug and then saying "Don't fix what isn't broken" doesn't work, because TW is an element of gameplay that is 'broken' because of human error and player error, not because of a coding error. Changing TW to make it better is not the same as fixing a bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    That would be to the persons perspective, fixing TW rules would have to go in and fix the coding to change it. So there for it is a bug. And being that it's pixels and not a physical thing that you can fix manually, it is a bug or glitch.
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    First and foremost: TW is not fine in certain respects.

Lots of TW rules exist, but are never enforced.
    I've heard this alot, but I've no idea where people get the idea that there are rules above and beyond what's listed here. Are these rules you refer to something you can see in-game, but which aren't on the main web-site description? In particular where is it ever written that you cannot hold every single territory on the map? It sounds like a lot of ficiton that has grown to legend status but nobody can ever point to the official written doctrine... if it's not written (either on the forums by PWI staff or coded into the game engine), then it's not a rule.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    I've heard this alot, but I've no idea where people get the idea that there are rules above and beyond what's listed here. Are these rules you refer to something you can see in-game, but which aren't on the main web-site description? In particular where is it ever written that you cannot hold every single territory on the map? It sounds like a lot of ficiton that has grown to legend status but nobody can ever point to the official written doctrine... if it's not written (either on the forums by PWI staff or coded into the game engine), then it's not a rule.

Those are the very rules we're talking about.

Which people have witnessed being bent and twisted to ban somebody, even though many people could offer evidence to the contrary on one or two occasions I hear, and in many other occasions, not being enforced at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Actually you are wrong.

I guess this is the quote that I was confused about... I don't see anywhere in writing where it's stated that there is a limit on how many tier-1 lands a faction can own; since it's not written explicitly, there's no rule preventing a faciton from owning all 3, yet GothicAngeI says there is such a rule--where is it written (if it actually even exists and isn't just the urban legend thing)?
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    *waiting for redmenace to come here and say wiep teh server*

/thread
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    ohh so thats what he does....

/superthread?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I think a better fix would be for pw to actually implement some decent ways to pk outside of TW. Many people don't even log into the game except once a week, and 90% of that time it's so they can TW for 5 mins and roll some random guild and collect their salary. It's not long before even that gets boring and people quit/stop playing altogether because they realize the TW system is a sham.

PWI is really a hardcore pve game, I mean look at pvp server harshlands and how **** poor the people are in there, compared to pve servers Sanc or Dreamweaver or w/e.

Pvp is "endgame" for a significant amount of PWI players, but without nice reward structures like those put in "W o W" the game loses any point for most people except for the most dedicated of pvp'ers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The biggest design flaw of TW is the limit on simultaneous attacks. Even if a single faction has 20 other factions attacking them they only have to fight 3 at a time.

This makes holding the whole map no harder than holding only 3 lands.

Think about how ridiculous that rule is.

Can you think of any other territory holding game where holding more and more resources has no added difficulty? If attackers had to take turns attacking in the real world the united states would have conquered the world long ago since no individual military could stop it.

It also doesn't help that a level 3 faction can hold far more than the maximum capacity of a tw so while an attacker can field only a portion of their maximum force a defender can field 100% off theirs across a triple attack.

if pw would remove the limit on concurrent attacks tw would be far more fair and competitive. You would still have the best factions holding the most land but total map dominance would be a challenge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The biggest design flaw of TW is the limit on simultaneous attacks. Even if a single faction has 20 other factions attacking them they only have to fight 3 at a time.

This makes holding the whole map no harder than holding only 3 lands.

Think about how ridiculous that rule is.

Can you think of any other territory holding game where holding more and more resources has no added difficulty? If attackers had to take turns attacking in the real world the united states would have conquered the world long ago since no individual military could stop it.

It also doesn't help that a level 3 faction can hold far more than the maximum capacity of a tw so while an attacker can field only a portion of their maximum force a defender can field 100% off theirs across a triple attack.

if pw would remove the limit on concurrent attacks tw would be far more fair and competitive. You would still have the best factions holding the most land but total map dominance would be a challenge.

thats actually an excellent suggestion.

and i do agree with the op's sentiment. TW is broken for the simple fact that it's not fun enough to keep most people playing end-game.
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    TW isn't broken it is simply flat out boring. It would take a lot of work to actually make it fun. For starters that dull looking excuse for a map needs a serious make over.

I think a capture the flag setting pretty much like a first person shooter CTF setup would be a lot better than the crystal ****.... but either way you slice it... it comes down to who has more lv100s with better gear so in a way it makes little to no difference what they do with TW since it will always be the same deal.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Take a look at old HT (not to be confused with OHT). Ally, cause drama/QQage, and the map will look like a bad picasso painting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    TW isn't broken it is simply flat out boring. It would take a lot of work to actually make it fun. For starters that dull looking excuse for a map needs a serious make over.

I think a capture the flag setting pretty much like a first person shooter CTF setup would be a lot better than the crystal ****.... but either way you slice it... it comes down to who has more lv100s with better gear so in a way it makes little to no difference what they do with TW since it will always be the same deal.
    How is it not broken if the original rules of TW were not followed out in PWI version? Have the younger generation not even read it? The original chinese version made TW and the rules and regulations with the "What if" scenarios, the ones that could cause harm or monopoly, in mind. (limits on some lv lands, etc.) When they made the rules, they thought ahead. TBH i dont think the PWI version pple thought ahead ENOUGH when they tweaked the original rules. There is a separation point where the biggest faction worked hard to gain the land, and where gaining the REST of the land becomes just a non effort snowball effect. Altho the server may suffer, i hope such mistakes like this actually makes the PWI tweakers realize their mistake. Im hoping our server doesnt pull a 'Conquerer', and make pwi realize what COULD happen. Sometimes, just sometimes, pple dont learn until it hurts them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    How is it not broken if the original rules of TW were not followed out in PWI version? Have the younger generation not even read it? The original chinese version made TW and the rules and regulations with the "What if" scenarios, the ones that could cause harm or monopoly, in mind. (limits on some lv lands, etc.) When they made the rules, they thought ahead. TBH i dont think the PWI version pple thought ahead ENOUGH when they tweaked the original rules. There is a separation point where the biggest faction worked hard to gain the land, and where gaining the REST of the land becomes just a non effort snowball effect. Altho the server may suffer, i hope such mistakes like this actually makes the PWI tweakers realize their mistake. Im hoping our server doesnt pull a 'Conquerer', and make pwi realize what COULD happen. Sometimes, just sometimes, pple dont learn until it hurts them.

Well I was just stating my opinion that it was boring. Even with different rules to keep some faction from owning it all it would still be the same old dullness that I've come to not care much for. Dragon Temple is more fun.
  • Sarq - Dreamweaver
    Sarq - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    samasalao wrote: »
    I think the TW system is flawed, In pwi's santuary server all the map but 1 land is own by a single faction.

I am not blaming the faction, they are mighty and got it legit. I am blaming the system, is something that should not happen.

Over the time numerous suggestion has been made but admins and developers keep ignoring it, IDK if they think is fair for a faction to own everything or not, but one thing I am sure: "is not fun", not for the faction that owns everything much less for the weaker factions struggling to win a land.

I am not here to post a solution, many has been posted like the farther you are from your faction base/capital land / main land the weaker the faction members become and so on, many ppl has posted good solutions but no admins keep ignoring it, right now TW system on sanctuary (and some other servers it seems ) is unfun predictable and extremely boring.

Admins / Developers please do something about TW.

I'd bet anything that if you were a member of that dominating faction you would not be making this thread.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2010

I can think of one the British Commonwealth which we up here belong to and the US would run out of resources.I wouldn't forget the huge deficit the US has right now as it is still paying for the Vietnam Conflict.The US relies on heavy on foreign resources to feed it.It stockpiled full of oil but only for short Nuclear War.We up here have the largest uranium mines if we wanted we could make nuclear weapons.But this is off topic

On topic There must be something with colour of red.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Simple solution, either

A) Remove limit on simultaneous attacks on a faction altogether

OR

B) Increase the limit of simultaneous attacks on a faction to say.... 5?

Reason?

If you can't hold all the land you own at one time.

Then you shouldn't conquer it

Prime example? Roman Empire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grayadidas
    grayadidas Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I just want they put another Spice to TW..

Like..like... Faction Alliances!
    and say like.. when Faction A is in war with Faction C,

and Faction A's area is located side by side with Faction B's area (Faction A is ally with Faction B),
    Faction B can send limited members (like 10 or 20?) to the A & C TW area, and vice versa also.

like say Faction D's area is located side by side with Faction A's area,
    Faction D can send limited members to help Faction C to attak Faction A.
    (Faction D is ally with Faction C)

wuahaha~ it's just my facking imagination..
    Oops, just my free alice-in-wonderland imagination :D