Perfect WOrld 1st of this type of MMO

Options

Comments

• Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    But how does that kill the game ?_?

face/palm. because when you get to end game and there is nothing left to do but tw and youre stuck fighting against 200 people who have that much hoarded wealth it gets boring and people give up. they quit. people quitting is bad for business. and sure, there are always new people joining, but its usually around lvl 20/30 that they start to learn what gold is and what charms are and figuring out gear, and the standard of "decent" has become "+7, grade 11 gems". thats 20 mil per gem, times 4 per item, times.. however many items. thats unattainable for majority of the player base, cash spenders and non-cash spenders alike. its in the 20-30 range that i've seen countless new people quit for good. the next group is the 90+ crowd. they spend all this time and (some) money and cannot make ends meet. the game has become a "keep up with the jonses" kind of thing. and that is not fun.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lmfao sai. you've not only managed to offend me, but you clearly went out of your way to do it. and it's completely unjustified. i've been nothing but nice to you and i've often defended you when others would trash you. thank you for making me see the errors of my ways and proving those other people right. seriously, what the hell crawled up your **** lately? historically you've been one of the few to always make me laugh with your posts, but lately you've just become a blatant troll, starting arguments where none needed to exist. you've gone from clever and witty to just being a perpetual jerk. and i'm an idiot? lol. you're right. i'm an idiot for ever having liked you.

and just for clarification, what is absurd is that some people have that much currency hoarded when majority of the server considers 5 mil rich. yea, i understand, the way he plays the game is cat shopping almost 24/7. of course he's gonna rake in that much.

now i could insert a dig at you here about the brain damage your years as a junkie caused, but i wont stoop down to your level. somebody born in america raised on the english language who still cannot grasp (and admittedly refuses to even try) the difference between your and you're doesn't need somebody to insult them, they do it all on their own.

and no, you're not mean. you're just incredibly and increasingly obnoxious. consider me one of the converted.

So in your opinion, it is not ok to save money and coin? To use it and spend it wisely, when you find a need to do so? And because they save and spend wisely, they somehow are 'killing PWI' as you say? Your argument Sounds pretty stupid to me to be honest.

Oh and if the majority of the server considers 5 mill rich as you say, then the majority of the server is pretty damn pathetic. I have had 5 mill before I hit 60, and have rarely had less than 30 mill since, and that is not from charging Zen, that is just from playing smart.

Now, to address your 'hidden dig'. Yes I was a junkie, and yes I was one for years. Funny, how being a junkie for years, hasn't seemed to have affected my base IQ, it is still as high now, as it was 20 years ago. *checks my brain* Nope, doesn't seemed damaged to me.

I know the difference between your and you're dumbass. The problem I have is when I am typing or writing, that difference doesn't register, and so I don't use contractions correctly. I also have to deal with mild Dyslexia which makes that a bit harder. Care to try to make an issue of that? I'd love to start quoting articles and studies that show people with my IQ OFTEN suffer from those types of problems to one degree or another.

I find it so interesting that you would point that out, in spite of the fact that a person having trouble with contractions, has no correlation with their innate intelligence. People who feel the need to make those types of distinctions, are grasping at straws out of desperation, because they simply fail at having any other argument worthy of using.

You're an idiot pure and simple, always have been, always will be, and 2/3 of your posts here on the forums show it. Your arguments are usually (though admittedly not always) so full of fail you get laughed out of the threads you post in.

I am glad I finally offended you. Have a nice day Cupcake.

~Saitada

p.s. My Blademaster had 2 mill before 35. Earned all by itself. I stole that coin for my Assassin though as I have shelved my BM for the time being.

p.s.s. If you're going to be an idiot, I am going to call you one. I don't care who you are, or what you've done in the past.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    face/palm. because when you get to end game and there is nothing left to do but tw and youre stuck fighting against 200 people who have that much hoarded wealth it gets boring and people give up. they quit. people quitting is bad for business. and sure, there are always new people joining, but its usually around lvl 20/30 that they start to learn what gold is and what charms are and figuring out gear, and the standard of "decent" has become "+7, grade 11 gems". thats 20 mil per gem, times 4 per item, times.. however many items. thats unattainable for majority of the player base, cash spenders and non-cash spenders alike. its in the 20-30 range that i've seen countless new people quit for good. the next group is the 90+ crowd. they spend all this time and (some) money and cannot make ends meet. the game has become a "keep up with the jonses" kind of thing. and that is not fun.

Hm but didn't he do it because it possible ?
    And that much amount of money will not match a heavy cash shop user.
    Btw . . isn't TW already filled by those people with uber gear ? b:shocked
    What he doing by collecting that much money is showing that non cash shop user can match a heavy cash shop user.
    Btw it also show how much money exist on the server . . *imagine how rich was heavy cash shop user*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Euphy - Dreamweaver
    Euphy - Dreamweaver Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So you honestly expect other people to pay for your gaming experience without any form of compensation? The more you pay the more you get holds true for most aspects of life, and whether you're paying with money, time, attention, or love.
    The fact that a non-cash shopper can compete with your average cash-shopper is a credit to Perfect World. If someone pours $20,000 for a lv.100 rank weapon... well honestly who was cheated? I guess its awesome that they have it, but I'm okay with spending much less a casting an extra spell or two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XJinxx - Sanctuary
    XJinxx - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    *Gasp!* 5million coins b:dirty b:dirty b:dirty
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    QQ 5 million coins b:shedtear b:shedtear b:shedtear
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    and just for clarification, what is absurd is that some people have that much currency hoarded when majority of the server considers 5 mil rich.
    See, but I think this is where you and I differ upon our views of the absurdity.

I think it's absurd that I'll tell people flat out, "You can get (whatever) cheaper if you buy the Gold yourself," then even offer to teach them exactly how the Auction House works, only to have them refuse to listen, insist on buying from me anyway for a 5% markup, then complain about how poor they are and could I pretty please lower my prices even more. It makes no sense to me.

It also makes no sense to me that so many people feel the need to pay non-sale prices right away, even during periods of temporary Gold inflation, rather than wait a couple of weeks and save huge amounts of money. But they do.

As I see it, players should NOT be just giving away their hard-earned in-game money so easily, simply because they are impatient or unwilling to do some research. But the fact is that there is a huge group that do, and apparently nothing you, I, or anybody else says or does seems capable of stopping them from doing it.

So yeah, there's something absurd about so many people just handing over their money. But I don't think it's that absurd for people like myself and others to be willing to accept their rather strange generosity.
    yea, i understand, the way he plays the game is cat shopping almost 24/7. of course he's gonna rake in that much.
    Even just running a cat-shop during the 16 hours of work/sleep is more than enough to do what I do. Pretty much anybody can do it if they find resource management an enjoyable part of the RPG experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

I don't know what you're facepalming about. Saitada's summed up what I wanted to say. If progressing in a game, and excelling at that, is "killing" the game, I don't know what wouldn't kill the game.

People are constantly elevating themselves, and the level of competition is always on the rise. If you stay at the same level, you're just becoming obsolete. That's just the natural order of things.

So is reaching a point where you've accomplished all you've wanted to do, and there's nothing left but to quit and move on.

But that's not a result of "hoarding wealth". That's simply a matter of natural progression and the lifespan of a game. Every gamer starts off newb, then gets better, then becomes good, and then becomes bored.

There's nothing that can stop that, unless the game can constantly upgrade itself to meet user expectations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    People willing to buy, I'm willing to sell.
    People willing to sell, I'm willing to buy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    go look around and read some of the threads with ppl complaining about the tw situations and the gold price situations. then come back and tell me that people like warren are not hurting the game.

pw has become just like the US economy. the top 2 percent are happy as pigs in ****, and the other 98 percent are miserable.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    b:laugh want to blame gold price ? blame the publisher and those who buy gold with real money.
    and he just a casual player he said him self, so pretty much he just enjoying the game while saving money
    he not joining rat race like most people that addict to lv b:bye

I though my country was more miserable x.x . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    go look around and read some of the threads with ppl complaining about the tw situations and the gold price situations. then come back and tell me that people like warren are not hurting the game.

pw has become just like the US economy. the top 2 percent are happy as pigs in ****, and the other 98 percent are miserable.

Where there are fluctuations in the economy, there are opportunities. People like Warren capitalize on these opportunities to reap in profits, while others would rather spend their time QQing about gold prices.

Even more funny is that Warren and Solandri's continuously posted how they make the money they do. It's just that people don't take it upon themselves to improve on their financial position.

You can't compare real life to a game like this. There's a million different factors that affect people's capability to become financially wealthy.

In this game, everybody started off with 0 coins. Cash shoppers spend money to get their coins. Non-cash shoppers use their brains to get their coins. As you can see, there is no room for the people who don't try one way or the other, and in my humble opinion, that's perfectly fine and reasonable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options

Like I said. Someone that uses their brain and plays smart, makes a bit of coin and gold, saves it up and uses it when they find a need...

How does that hurt the game? They did the work for it, don't they deserve to reap the rewards?

Oh I get it now. You're one of those people that don't have squat in life and are envious of those who have worked hard and become successful in their own life. You sound like a welfare scab to me to be quite honest.

QQQ You work and have stuff

QQQ It isn't fair for you to be prosperous

QQQ Because you're rich, you're evil and bad and why my life sucks

Yeah I know your type all to well.

I see them down at the soup kitchen hanging around for 10-15 hours a day and making no effort to improve themselves or their lives. Just whining about how horrible everything is and if they 'just had a job'... while making no effort to get one. Expecting everyone to give them what they need, instead of earning it themselves.

After volunteering my time there for a few months, I decided it wasn't worth my time to help people unwilling to help themselves, but more than willing to blame their failure in life on everyone but themselves and their own laziness.

You sound exactly like they did.

~Saitada
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    so what if a guy is carpetbagging? sure its kind of a dirty practice, but hes not hurting you. whats the point in feeling jealous of a guy whos level is on pause while he devotes his life to collecting worthless pixel money.

really?

thats really shallow. who cares, get over it, its no big deal other than sheer jealousy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    People who have succeeded in an aspect of the game some of us may find less palatable do not deserve any abuse because of it. Without resource management of one form or the other, character progression in a persistent world would be impossible.

An economy is not an artificial construct, even if we may refer to it using abstract terms. Participants create it by trade. This is the reason why even distribution of goods and services remains as impossible as it is undesirable. To blame the "rich" for the misfortunes of others is taking analogies to irl too far.

Personally, i don't believe that the woes of some users can be laid at the feet of those who have managed prosperity. It would be as absurd as blaming people skilled at PvE for setting a standard others cannot meet when acting in a squad. Or blaming people that, on an even footing, beat you in PvP. There are many aspects in this game that players can specialize in. The only important thing is that you choose ingame activities that you enjoy.

And yes, i know i tend to do this a lot, but i would require proof of exactly how merchanting ruins the game. Otherwise these remain baseless accusations.
  • Zexion - Raging Tide
    Zexion - Raging Tide Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    First of all, let me say that in regards to the financial standpoint of cash shoppers vs non-cash shoppers, cash shoppers do have an edge. But as Warren proved (and may I express my profound awe at his ability to play the market, it really is impressive) someone who doesn't pull out his/her credit card can still obtain money. Yes it takes longer but in the end the goal can still be reached. I have never had money issues in this game since I only spend on what is absolutely necessary. I budget my money and make sure that my expenditures do not exceed my coin income for more then a brief period (skill purchases are the primary example of this). Learning to play the market is not only a way to make money, but in one sense, it is another objective in the game.

As for the statements about people like Warren hoarding money killing the game, this statement seems rather illogical to me. They have worked to attain that money, and in the long run, it will be spent anyway. You Vinat are just like so many other people, you focus on the short term and thus you are unable to see the long term effects of these situations. And as Warren pointed out, he is sinking coins out of the economy due to the gold purchasing tax.

The reason 2% of people are rich and 98% are poor (using your highly inaccurate and fabricated statistics) is simply because that 98% encompasses players who are below level 30 and haven't had exposure to the games economy yet and thus feel poorer then they truly are when confronted by the magnitude of the prices they see on things, people who play the game for their own enjoyment and just don't give a **** about the prices of things like speed leveling items and other cash shop items, and people who simply have an over reactive impulse to purchase items. Watching your spending can very easily break you out of the poor bracket as long as you also work to make some money. Playing the market is one of the most profitable options right now since it fluctuates so much.

Working hard is the key to making money if you don't pull out your wallet. In the end though, you can achieve good results.
    If you would please, allow me to interject with an interjection into your conversation which requires, an interjecting. For if I'm to understand correctly and correctly understand the present situation, which I may or may not understand correctly, then it seems that you all don't make sense at all.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    First of all, let me say that in regards to the financial standpoint of cash shoppers vs non-cash shoppers, cash shoppers do have an edge. But as Warren proved (and may I express my profound awe at his ability to play the market, it really is impressive) someone who doesn't pull out his/her credit card can still obtain money. Yes it takes longer but in the end the goal can still be reached. I have never had money issues in this game since I only spend on what is absolutely necessary. I budget my money and make sure that my expenditures do not exceed my coin income for more then a brief period (skill purchases are the primary example of this). Learning to play the market is not only a way to make money, but in one sense, it is another objective in the game.

As for the statements about people like Warren hoarding money killing the game, this statement seems rather illogical to me. They have worked to attain that money, and in the long run, it will be spent anyway. You Vinat are just like so many other people, you focus on the short term and thus you are unable to see the long term effects of these situations. And as Warren pointed out, he is sinking coins out of the economy due to the gold purchasing tax.

The reason 2% of people are rich and 98% are poor (using your highly inaccurate and fabricated statistics) is simply because that 98% encompasses players who are below level 30 and haven't had exposure to the games economy yet and thus feel poorer then they truly are when confronted by the magnitude of the prices they see on things, people who play the game for their own enjoyment and just don't give a **** about the prices of things like speed leveling items and other cash shop items, and people who simply have an over reactive impulse to purchase items. Watching your spending can very easily break you out of the poor bracket as long as you also work to make some money. Playing the market is one of the most profitable options right now since it fluctuates so much.

Working hard is the key to making money if you don't pull out your wallet. In the end though, you can achieve good results.
    Not to mention those who are higher level, a good portion of them do not aggressively farm TT or FF. They are more than content just doing their BH's, WQ's, CS's, and questing, and when they do TT, for instance, it's to get a few mats just for their gear and stop at that. There is a good number who expect things to come from them by just doing menial tasks and that should never be the case. The heavy cash shoppers want things quickly and don't want to spend the time to farm things, and that's okay too, as it makes it easier for the rest of us who tend to farm our ****, even when we do spend rl cash for things, and keeps it free for those who want basic things. However, some expect to have cash shopper gear by doing simple farming, wanting to have their cake and eat it too and that's not realistic at all.
  • La_Zorra - Sanctuary
    La_Zorra - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    so what if a guy is carpetbagging? sure its kind of a dirty practice, but hes not hurting you. whats the point in feeling jealous of a guy whos level is on pause while he devotes his life to collecting worthless pixel money.

really?

thats really shallow. who cares, get over it, its no big deal other than sheer jealousy.

Interesting use of the term "carpetbagger" referring to Warren's business practices, including your statement that Warren has "kind of a dirty practice". I do believe that you fail to understand the meaning of this word, and it's origins. Or else you are equating Warren's smart ways to make money for his character, as "a dirty [business] practice", because you are either jealous, or you're just trolling.

“Carpetbaggers” is a pejorative slang term denoting men who adhered to the newly formed Republican Party, which followed the demise of the Whig Party, and gained control of Arkansas politics and government after the end of Civil War. Many of these men were former Union soldiers. The correct term is Radical Republicans.

Southerners coined the pejorative term carpetbaggers and claimed that these men came into the state with only what could be packed in a suitcase made from carpet scraps. The belief was that these men were uneducated opportunists who came to Arkansas only to plunder and take advantage of the bankrupt, defeated, and humiliated people of the state. Noted carpetbaggers included Thomas Meade Bowen, a lawyer, and Powell Clayton, an engineer (both of whom had served as Union generals), as well as former Union soldiers John McClure, a lawyer, John Newton Sarber, a lawyer, and Stephen Dorsey, a businessman.

Despite the ire directed to them by pro-Confederate natives, those dubbed carpetbaggers did leave behind a fairly positive legacy. The most substantive and positive change that the Radical Republicans created was a statewide public school system. There had been no statewide school system previously, and educational advantages were few. The fact that the population was to be taxed to operate the schools met with opposition. Part of the new educational system was the creation of Arkansas Industrial University, a land grant school. It is now known as the University of Arkansas (UA) in Fayetteville (Washington County) and is the largest university in the state.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Muchas gracias to Saitada for the siggy ~
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm actually going to agree with you here.

I had a friend who stopped playing after Gold reached 300k. For him, the game was ruined because he could no longer afford to blow through HP and Mana charms and pay for them using an hour or so of farming per day.

When I suggested using much cheaper event pots instead, he dismissed them as being too inconvenient to use. When I suggested he not spam skills needlessly, he dismissed that idea as resulting in him killing too slowly (even though that isn't true). When I suggested he level and learn to use his self-heal and defense buff skills, he shook his head and insisted it was too annoying to keep track of his HP bar all the time to make sure he protected his charm.

Ultimately, he only wanted to play one way: mindlessly spam his skills and let his HP/Mana charm do all the work.

Yes, higher Gold prices ruined the game for him. But he had more than enough chance and opportunity to adjust his playing style.

The people that I do sympathize with are the casual grinders who just want to play the game and enjoy themselves. But for more experienced players who want to play a certain way, or want the best equipment, or want to do TW, or hold their own in PvP, or whatever, sorry, but if you want to be competitive, then you need to start competing, and that means competing for the best prices too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Thrasymachus - Sanctuary
    Thrasymachus - Sanctuary Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Invective much? You know, this could be a really illuminating discussion regarding the value of merchanting and gold trading to the game overall and other players in general. If we could keep from calling each other idiots for a while, we might be able to have that discussion.

And to make a step in that direction, I'd like to play devil's advocate to some of the more outspoken voices here. First, I would like to point out that there are many cases where apparently innocuous behavior that seems to be well within our rights and natural abilities can, when taken together with other such behavior, result in a thoroughly bad outcome, and that when we understand how such effects emerge, we rightly change our moral opinions of that behavior so that it is discouraged or outright forbidden. An obvious example of this is environmental pollution. One person dumping his used oil on an old gravel pile in the back or burning his trash is no environmental catastrophe, nor usually particularly harmful to others. Moreover, it is disposing of one's own property as one wishes (providing that he own the property where he does the disposing.) But we realize that if everyone, or even a significant proportion of the population were to do this, serious harm to others would occur. Therefore, such behaviors are legally banned, and morally frowned upon in most quarters. What is important in theorizing about such behavior is that the harm be identified and the mechanism for causing that harm be well understood.

In order to illustrate both the harm and the mechanism, I would like to take issue with something WarrenWolfy said upthread:
    But... but... I'm a COIN SINK.
    In point of fact, you're not a sink, unless you decide to one day just walk away from your character, leaving your coins unobtainable to anyone else through any legal means. If, on that day, you have any gold in your accounts, you'd also be a gold sink, which would kind of defeat the purpose of a coin sink to begin with. What you are right now is a coin and gold (an whatever else you trade in) warehouse.

The difference between a sink and a warehouse is important here. As a warehouse, the goods, gold and coins you stockpile you will eventually release back into the game, of course, at prices that benefit you. So what are the effects of for-profit warehousing? First, prices of things that are only offered occasionally and during events, such as the infamous packs, are moderated. Because these items are cheapest when they are on sale in the boutique, merchants compete with each other and consumers of these packs to buy them up. This tends to raise their price (in coins) by raising the price of gold (since gold is the only way to actually put new packs in the game).

Cash shoppers can counter this by buying more gold, but that costs real money, and even though new zen purchases do increase when packs go in the boutique, it's never been enough to keep gold prices steady. When the event is over, their price continues to rise because now they're scarcer, but merchants begin almost immediately to sell those packs and recoup their profits, dulling the effects of their sudden scarcity, and keeping prices from going too high, at least until packs start really running out.

All in all, I'm willing to accept the moderating effects of merchants on such prices as an overall positive effect, but I do want to point out that it comes at the cost of higher overall prices, in order to provide for the merchant's profits. This includes gold prices, because while, as has been pointed out in a different thread, while the process of gold trading is symmetrical, where every piece of gold bought by a gold merchant (thereby raising prices by decreasing supply) is eventually sold (increased supply means lower prices), there is always a period of time where that gold is just in someone's bank or inventory. Since there is more than one such merchant, there is always a significant amount of the total gold purchased on the server that has been effectively removed, creating a sort of false scarcity, and since we are now talking about the cumulative effects of multitudes of merchants, it has been removed indefinitely. The laws of statistics tell us to presume that at least some fraction of gold that's just waiting around for a price increase is gone forever. And as more people move into gold merchanting more and more of that gold, that was actually bought by someone to contribute to the game and enhance their experience, is removed in this way. In fact, calculating how much gold is presently "missing" from the economy is a simple matter of multiplying the average profit per gold of gold merchants over a certain period of time with the overall number of gold merchants in that time, and dividing that number by the average price of gold during that time. That's how much gold had to be sequestered during that time to effect enough scarcity to raise gold prices enough to account for the profits experienced.

Now that the economics of merchanting, at least merchanting gold, has been dealt with I also want to point out some of the other effects. This will be much shorter than the above, I promise. Mainly, this has the effect of concentrating wealth in those who have the capacity to merchant. Without merchanting, this sort of wealth concentration would only occur with extreme cash shoppers. This would mean fewer high-end gears in game, because merchants are often responsible for concentrating the large amounts of wealth needed to obtain them. It means at least some free players or players who cannot pay much money to buy zen can compete with heavy cash shoppers during TW, at least, if they ally themselves with other cash shoppers.

In the end, I am skeptical of such similar merchanting providing sufficient social value to justify their existence. The negatives are pretty big, and the positives accrue first to the merchanter before they are felt by anyone else. However, there is one positive that I'm not willing to lose, and that's that the ability to merchant provided by catshops and the auction house give people of limited financial means the ability to win, if they are smart and can figure stuff out. I do feel, however, that if you have the financial ability to purchase zen, and you play the game a lot for your own entertainment, you should purchase zen, regardless of your ability to earn an income in-game from merchanting. Doing so counters the effects merchanting has on sequestering gold and raising its prices, and the servers you're playing on need to be payed for, and the devs need to feed their families. Of course, how much you buy is a personal decision, based on how you value the game.

So, merchanting should probably only be done if you have a goal for your profits , something specific you want to buy with 'em, and so long as you supplement your in-game wealth from time to time with purchases of zen, so long as you are financially able to make such purchases. If you're merchanting just so you can be rich, and you never buy any zen, you're just raising everybody's prices.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So, merchanting should probably only be done if you have a goal for your profits , something specific you want to buy with 'em, and so long as you supplement your in-game wealth from time to time with purchases of zen, so long as you are financially able to make such purchases. If you're merchanting just so you can be rich, and you never buy any zen, you're just raising everybody's prices.

The idea behind merchanting is to make a profit.

The idea behind making a profit is to be comfortable at the least, and wealthy at the best.

Your argument is spurious at best.

Your thought failed. Try again.

~S
  • _miryoku_ - Heavens Tear
    _miryoku_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Gosh what you see in the forums. Blah Blah Blah this, Blah Blah Blah that... Okay he made some money. Who cares, just play the game. If it doesn't entertain u, quit? Gosh, TBH he kinda' deserves it. I mean okay leaving your pc on 24/7, just to get rich in a Pixel game does seem dumb. But who cares, it's his pc, and what he does with it is his choice. But don't flame him just Cuz' he was smart enough and conservative with how he manages his time to make money in the game.
    P.S. In MY OPINION, I would never spent my life 24/7 just to make money in a Pixel game. But that doesn't mean you shouldn'tb:kiss (No offense)
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Gosh what you see in the forums. Blah Blah Blah this, Blah Blah Blah that... Okay he made some money. Who cares, just play the game. If it doesn't entertain u, quit? Gosh, TBH he kinda' deserves it. I mean okay leaving your pc on 24/7, just to get rich in a Pixel game does seem dumb. But who cares, it's his pc, and what he does whith it is his choice. But don't flame him just Cuz' he was smart enough and conservative with how he manages his time to make money in the game.
    P.S. In MY OPINION, I would never spent my life 24/7 just to make money in a Pixel game. But that doesn't mean you shouldn'tb:kiss (No offense)

Except he doesn't spend his life making money in a game. I have three computers. I use two for Business. One for whatever I want to do, which often enough, is to have one game or another running on it while I work.

Seems to me if I take 5 minutes to check a price, buy something, and sell it at a higher price.. I am not spending 24/7 merchanting.

So many people fail to understand the concept of what merchanting actually is.

I buy 8000 of X item for $0.10 from the manufacturer of said item.

my manufacturer is happy, he made a profit.

I sell 8000 of X item over time for $10.00.

I am happy, I have made a profit.

The amount of effort put in? 10 minutes on the phone buying and arranging shipping. 5-20 minutes a day adding stock to the shelf as needed. And time for the tourists to come buy my ****.

Same idea in game. A few minutes to set up a buy shop. A few minutes to set up a sell shop. Leave the PC running and go enjoy life. Few hours later. Profit $$$$

Time I have 'wasted' on a game? barely any. Time I have spent doing other things? A lot. Coin I have made? A lot.

Simple, basic process that doesn't require spending 24/7 of my life on a game.

~S
  • Thrasymachus - Sanctuary
    Thrasymachus - Sanctuary Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The idea behind merchanting is to make a profit.

The idea behind making a profit is to be comfortable at the least, and wealthy at the best.

Your argument is spurious at best.

Your thought failed. Try again.

~S

The idea behind making a profit is not necessarily to be comfortable or wealthy, but may be to accumulate the funds needed to accommodate some personal venture. Indeed, someone who accumulates a fortune simply to possess it, and not to use that fortune to benefit himself or others is generally thought to be a miser, suffering from the venal sin of greed.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The idea behind making a profit is not necessarily to be comfortable or wealthy, but may be to accumulate the funds needed to accommodate some personal venture. Indeed, someone who accumulates a fortune simply to possess it, and not to use that fortune to benefit himself or others is generally though to be a miser, suffering from the venal sin of greed.

I am sorry, but Sin is a concept based in an archaic religion.

I accumulate wealth to benefit myself. I like being able to do pretty much anything I want to do, if the mood strikes me. My wealth is generally NOT wasted 'helping others' simply because I feel the best way to help others isn't to give them a handout, but to let them help themselves. If they are unable to do that, or refuse to do it, oh well, they can starve to death then.

My wealth benefits me. That you may not SEE how that is so, is irrelevant.

~S
  • SloppyJoe - Heavens Tear
    SloppyJoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I've been playing since CB, and yes 75 is my highest toon, yet I'm sitting on easily 500M+ worth of coin/gold/merchandise.

Why am I only level 75 after over 1 1/2 years? Frankly, I get bored easily with grinding and typical MMO adventures.

But what I love about MMO's is the economy, working with numbers, and playing the market. Call me strange, but I love doing it. Just like real life, I have my financial situation on a spreadsheet (yes, I'm wierd, but I love it).

Why am I accumulating all of this wealth? Cuz it's fun (for me at least). Am I hurting the poorer players? Directly, probably not (but lets face it, the QQ'ers would find something else to complain about). If I didn't like doing it, I wouldn't be doing so, but to call someone like me (or anyone else) greedy for accumulating wealth and being financially smart with our expenses is rather ignorant.

Robert Kiyosaki once wrote (indirectly quoted):
    Poor people never ask me how I made my fortune. They do, however, always ask me for a job or for a loan

If your going to be poor, except it. You have the same opportunities to have wealth as everyone else, yet you choose not to educate yourself. There's nothing wrong with that, but please accept the consequences of your actions (or lack of).
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I would like to start by congratulating you on your post, i believe it's a good example of well a reasoned and respectful response. Hope this doesn't get derailed-
    First, I would like to point out that there are many cases where apparently innocuous behavior that seems to be well within our rights and natural abilities can, when taken together with other such behavior, result in a thoroughly bad outcome, and that when we understand how such effects emerge, we rightly change our moral opinions of that behavior so that it is discouraged or outright forbidden.

I agree.

As a warehouse, the goods, gold and coins you stockpile you will eventually release back into the game, of course, at prices that benefit you. So what are the effects of for-profit warehousing? First, prices of things that are only offered occasionally and during events, such as the infamous packs, are moderated.

Which is certainly a good thing, we both coincide.

When the event is over, their price continues to rise because now they're scarcer, but merchants begin almost immediately to sell those packs and recoup their profits, dulling the effects of their sudden scarcity, and keeping prices from going too high, at least until packs start really running out.

Again, something good for the economy

there is always a significant amount of the total gold purchased on the server that has been effectively removed, creating a sort of false scarcity, and since we are now talking about the cumulative effects of multitudes of merchants, it has been removed indefinitely.

Yes

Mainly, this has the effect of concentrating wealth in those who have the capacity to merchant.
    the ability to merchant provided by catshops and the auction house give people of limited financial means the ability to win
    you should purchase zen, regardless of your ability to earn an income in-game from merchanting or not. Doing so counters the effects merchanting has on sequestering gold and raising its prices, and the servers you're playing on need to be payed for, and the devs need to feed their families.

To all of these i basically agree on principle

If you're merchanting just so you can be rich, and you never buy any zen, you're just raising everybody's prices.

This would be my only point of contention, as basically you should base your financial choices on whatever is more convenient and efficient to you. While i do believe in corporate responsability, it is market regulators (GMs) that should verify enough incentive is provided for participants to act in a way that benefits the economy. Otherwise you have private parties endorsing monetary policy in a system in which they do have a stake. A recipe for disaster.

One really needs to imply where exactly is it that you disagree with most of us, as other than mention in passing the negative impact of cumulative harmful practices (which you did a great job explaining however) your post actually deals more with the benefits merchants provide to the economy.

It's often a mistake to think that the economy should be regulated in such a way as to promote social or moral causes. It is not. The main responsability of central banks irl is to ensure conditions that will encourage trade and economic activity (by lending money). Activities more directly involved with the public good should be handled by institutions (ideally) independent of financial regulators, and using public resources, not those of private investors.
    As an example, job creation should not be a direct concern of central banks.

PW's system, as that of any MMO, works by a special ruleset (do indulge me if i explain, i'm well aware you already know this). Coin sinks are probably the best example of a sui generis mechanic, as there are no interest rates with which to control inflation. This brings me to warehousing. People like Warren are esentially our system's capitalists and investors. Ofc they don't employ people and catshops have no overhead (unless you consider ROI on cow upgrades). But as long as they mantain a sizable amount of their assets in circulation via trade they do encourage further economic activity. In fact it is in their best interest to do so since hoarding provides them no benefit (as there is no banking system) but does incur liability (inflation). To this follows that warehousing in itself is mostly disadvantageous to merchants and that they do have an incentive to "invest" by moving their stocks. On the long run speculating on any given comodity mantaining or increasing it's market value exposes them to risk. I'm sure the best of merchants takes a hit every now and then.

In fact, i'm somewhat surprised almost no one seems to have tried to diversify by moving their stock through smaller traders. While obviously our system lacks the means to enforce contracts, this would certainly be the next step for someone playing the ingame Tycoon.

Edit; LOL, got seriously ninja'd...
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    trollspray.jpg

awesomeb:victory
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    stuff.
    well put, ignore saitada, he claims to be of higher intelligence than everyone here... yet here comes a contender with a serious insight to the matter and he brushes it off. way to go, mr higher intelligence. it really sounds like, 'i didnt comprehend your post, so i picked on the conclusion, because its the only thing i could get. from there i then deducted your argument is worthless.'

then again, every idiot who gets snotty with people here thinks everyone but their own's argument is invalid. who the hell are they to say so? but thats an argument for another time.

i agree with your opinion thoroughly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    IMHO, Warren is very enterprising and he excels at that. I do wish I can be like him, but too lazy to do so. b:chuckle

Whatever Warren and his competitors put out into the game, if it's reasonable, buy it. If not, I'm incline to say that there are no such things as free. Everything has a price tag to it.

Though he is hoarding gold, the impact will be far greater if they are all released into the market at once.

Let's say Warren and his competitors released all the gold that they are holding and I daresay, the price of gold would fall overnight, making whatever you own in game depreciate sharply.

The mounts, the fashions, the mats and everything else, suddenly has lost it's value. That 5 million mount which you have paid for a while ago? Congrates, it's only worth less than 500k and lower (dependant on amount of gold released into the market).

But with that much gold being dumped into the market, the market will just collapse because suddenly, everyone can just buy gold. b:victory
This discussion has been closed.