Did U READ Sin Description???

Options
chelseacrafter
chelseacrafter Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Assassin
When you created your assassin did you take the time to READ the description of the character to the right hand side of the screen? With all this talk about the build being identical to an archer I just thought I'd quote a few things from the official PWI description & see if you still think it's like an archer. Remember... this is PWI's words not my own:

1. Assassins are skillful melee combatants

2. Faster than Blademasters and Barbs

3. In Critical Hit Form deals more damage than other classes in MOST situations

I don't think that sounds anything even remotely like an archer at all.

Why would PWI just completely lie to us on the character selection screens?

I don't think they would. I think ppl are misjudging this class & trying to belittle it because it has the potential to compete with barbs & bms who have the biggest egos in the whole game.

Before you build your assassin THINK about the description PWI gave you when you made your character. b:victory
Post edited by chelseacrafter on

Comments

• daphkate
    daphkate Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    When you created your assassin did you take the time to READ the description of the character to the right hand side of the screen? With all this talk about the build being identical to an archer I just thought I'd quote a few things from the official PWI description & see if you still think it's like an archer. Remember... this is PWI's words not my own:

1. Assassins are skillful melee combatants Archers are ranged melee, which makes them both melee.

2. Faster than Blademasters and Barbs Archers are faster than BMs and Barbs.

3. In Critical Hit Form deals more damage than other classes in MOST situations So does archer.

I don't think they would. I think ppl are misjudging this class & trying to belittle it because it has the potential to compete with barbs & bms who have the biggest egos in the whole game.

Before you build your assassin THINK about the description PWI gave you when you made your character. b:victory

Lame post. Pretty much of all those three things, only one can be classified as "correct" which is the first one.

Your right it's not like an archer but with your three reasons it is.
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    daphkate wrote: »
    Lame post. Pretty much of all those three things, only one can be classified as "correct" which is the first one.

Your right it's not like an archer but with your three reasons it is.
    "Melee" has been adopted and popularized as a term in war-gaming, board games, and video games to encompass all close-quarter fighting, as opposed to "ranged attacks". The term describes directly striking an opponent at ranges generally less than a few feet with fists, feet, knives, rifle-butts or any other melee weapon with the intention of causing harm.

Archers are NOT melee.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lupumid - Sanctuary
    Lupumid - Sanctuary Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Actually i was thinking about this earlier. I think were counting the assassin out as a close-ranged archer, but when you think about it could never work. Archers are made to attack you but you not attack them, attack from afar. Assassins however are closed ranged. Maybe were thinking TOO much on dexterity when theres more at play here. From all the other games i've played the assassin like character has always been the hit-you-hard-once-don't-hit-me-back sort of character. Maybe a more strength based build is in order?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maocchi
    maocchi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Well if Assassins are supposed to be hard hitters, they NEED high Dex. The new Dex description specifically states it increases Dagger damage.

And if you really want to get technical with descriptions, Assassins are masters of anatomy. They hit critical spots to deal fatal damage, which requires PRECISION (hint) not strength. I think this was mentioned somewhere on the expansion site as well.
  • Mkhan - Heavens Tear
    Mkhan - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    maocchi wrote: »
    Well if Assassins are supposed to be hard hitters, they NEED high Dex. The new Dex description specifically states it increases Dagger damage.

And if you really want to get technical with descriptions, Assassins are masters of anatomy. They hit critical spots to deal fatal damage, which requires PRECISION (hint) not strength. I think this was mentioned somewhere on the expansion site as well.

While that's dandy and all but keep in mind that mobs have lots of HP and assassins don't have the power to 1-2 shot things often. They're by definition supposed to be silent killers but seeing as how the invisibility has its limitations, having pure dex isn't a viable solution if you want to survive in the long run. So they need some sort of defense, at least on the early levels to be able to take the hit from physical mobs.

I dunno, maybe the Assassin's lifestyle is like a Wizards: **** during the first 80 levels and then become top tier in their 90+.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    1. Assassins are skillful melee combatants Archers are ranged melee, which makes them both melee.

OMFG
    Do you have a fking idea what ranged and melee means?

Being this stupid should be illegal

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Collapse - Harshlands
    Collapse - Harshlands Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Look the whole point is archers and assassins both get their damage from DEX and they wear LIGHT ARMOUR, so herpa derpa obviously the best build is 4 DEX 1 STR every level, just like an archer. This build is max damage lowest survivability, which i think will work better for assn then archer becus assns have alot of skills to keep them alive.

This is why people are saying assn = archer with daggers.
    Currently playing : |||| Waiting for:
    Allods |||||| G.W.2
    GW
    Bloodline Champions
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    OMFG
    Do you have a fking idea what ranged and melee means?

Being this stupid should be illegal

They mixed up melee and physical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • rikako
    rikako Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    While that's dandy and all but keep in mind that mobs have lots of HP and assassins don't have the power to 1-2 shot things often. They're by definition supposed to be silent killers but seeing as how the invisibility has its limitations, having pure dex isn't a viable solution if you want to survive in the long run. So they need some sort of defense, at least on the early levels to be able to take the hit from physical mobs.

I dunno, maybe the Assassin's lifestyle is like a Wizards: **** during the first 80 levels and then become top tier in their 90+.

have you ever played sin? i 2 shot any mob. perma spark is ftw?
  • Luixo - Sanctuary
    Luixo - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Grats on the first level 90 **** b:victory Forgot his name
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • razad
    razad Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    They mixed up melee and physical.

i think this too. and also this thread is overall fail. what does it accomplish anyways? assassins get their damage from DEX so why add into str? archers get their damage from dex as well, so why into str then? its true that assassins are close combat as opposed to archer, but from ive learned from playing my assassin, the skills make a LOT of difference.
  • stinkhole
    stinkhole Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    str is for the armor but overall i wouldnt go into a hybrid vit str and dex. sure sure youll be less squishey by about 1-2 hits more. besides at LATER levels, we sins get a stun move and we also get a sleep move. also we can go into hide mode so we will always get the first hit on a mob. sooo>>>hide>>>stun/sleep>>> and after another skill the mob should be dead plain and simple. going vit wont help much but if you insist on vit, go vit no ones stopping you, im just stating my opinion. and another note to that you could always socket your gear for vit or get vit gear. b:victory
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    archers....teh anti assassin?

b:puzzled
    barrage a nearby mob when they go invisible.
    archer attack glitch to negate the assassin revive skill.
    b:chuckle
    fast attack to get past the evasion chance.
    b:shocked
    metal close range moves for if the assassin does make it close.
    *cough*
    XD
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hippie - Harshlands
    Hippie - Harshlands Posts: 515 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Look the whole point is archers and assassins both get their damage from DEX and they wear LIGHT ARMOUR, so herpa derpa obviously the best build is 4 DEX 1 STR every level, just like an archer. This build is max damage lowest survivability, which i think will work better for assn then archer becus assns have alot of skills to keep them alive.

This is why people are saying assn = archer with daggers.

not really... sins will have really low defenses and low hp. their deadly shot dodge skill will only make them two take the first two shots.

we will see but my impression was that they are really squishy.
    Nullum crimen sine lege.
  • Sora_Kaiyou - Dreamweaver
    Sora_Kaiyou - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    From what I can tell, assassins are identical to archers except for the closeness of the combat.

-Both rely on normal attack for damage.
    -Both have high attack speed (daggers might even be faster).
    -Both are going to have the same defensive ratings (both use LA).
    -Both have high dodge rate to prevent damage, rather than take it.
    -Both have a 13 HP gain per VIT.
    -Both draw on DEX for damage.

That being said, I image an assassin/archer team to be quite deadly. And they cover each others weakness. Archer draws the mob in and the assassin takes over when the mob is inside the archer's attack reduction range.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

*cough*
    XD

Umm why waste two sparks when a simple sharptooth or thunderous blast (lvl10 TB has the same AoE range as Barrage) hit them and bring them out of hiding? b:victory

And i agree with what Sora said. The reason why people said assassins are similar to archers with daggers is the way their stats increase and the armour they wear.

BTW one of my BM friends noted that fists are still faster than daggers.
  • tessik
    tessik Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It seems to me that Sins are a cross between a Fist/Claw build Blademaster and an Archer.
  • CRYSTY - Sanctuary
    CRYSTY - Sanctuary Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    my assassin is lvl 11 and can almost 1 hit the mobs same lvl !! Archers cant do this b:laughb:victory
    *Of course using the 3rd skill available (forgot the name)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI since nov 2008, FW open beta, BOI open beta, STO free-to-play open release, Torchlight I since came out.
  • MrChips - Sanctuary
    MrChips - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    From what I can tell, assassins are identical to archers except for the closeness of the combat.

-Both rely on normal attack for damage.
    -Both have high attack speed (daggers might even be faster).
    -Both are going to have the same defensive ratings (both use LA).
    -Both have high dodge rate to prevent damage, rather than take it.
    -Both have a 13 HP gain per VIT.
    -Both draw on DEX for damage.

That being said, I image an assassin/archer team to be quite deadly. And they cover each others weakness. Archer draws the mob in and the assassin takes over when the mob is inside the archer's attack reduction range.

The bolded part is incorrect. Since evasion is disfunctional in this game, archers rely on ranged offense as their main defense. Kill before it can even hit you (using a minimum of skills to keep it away) is the key to a good archer's defense. Assassins also depend on a strong offense as their primary defense, but it is more dependant on skill effects (which will become more effective, presumably, at later levels). That suggests a slightly different game-play than archers or fist BMs. It also suggests that assassins may benefit from VIT early and a restat as skills become a better way to supplement defense (and, coincidently, as refining and sharding becomes more practical).

EDIT: Oh my avatar! How did my male assassin get stuck looking like the female cleric he replaced in my character list? Yuck.
  • Remedey - Heavens Tear
    Remedey - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    imo >.> you all play this damn game way to much to be getting worked up over it rofl XD take a year off and see how you still feel about it...noobs
    [SIGPIC]<--Rem...remmeber that >.>[/SIGPIC]
  • MrBrightside - Lost City
    MrBrightside - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    O_O melee needs vit guys. Uwont get anywhere without vit u just gonna die and QQall day long. Hey u ppl with archers should know that pure dex sucks when it comes to staying alive. Personally my assasin has never died and kills pretty fast and im going with 1str 1vit 3 dex build. So u just gotta get a little vit. ...in my personal opinion. Up to u really
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Why do so many people who haven't read the skills of the new classes or actually played one keep posting their opinions on it? Normal attack with a 'sin? Did they smoke some leaves from the stupid tree? They have very high bonus damage on their early skills, their bleed doesn't wake up sleeping targets, they can raise ATK lvl by lowering attack speed by 100% (yeah, normal attack ftw *eyeroll*), and the majority of their special adds are through using attack skills.

Their crit damage gets boosted from a self-buff, hence the higher damage in crit form they mentioned. Barrage a nearby mob? Good way of saying tp to me and stun me to the 'sin. And now you're stuck targeting a mob on the off chance you do wake up from stun/sleep spam and don't get the auto-target from them attacking you. Hopefully won't be subject to target lag when switching and attacking the assassin ganking them.

They aren't over-powered or the best, but most of the people who post their ultimate 'anti-strategies' are the first I'd expect to get their **** handed to them quite often. Read the freaking skills, think about them a bit, and maybe after all that, make a post.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Furtim - Dreamweaver
    Furtim - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Noone can know how assassins will be in pvp as none are high lvl enough and whoraclers dont know how to use their skills (if they ever learn how to). Id wait a few weeks before even rating sins in pvp...
  • metalman7
    metalman7 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Why do so many people who haven't read the skills of the new classes or actually played one keep posting their opinions on it? Normal attack with a 'sin? Did they smoke some leaves from the stupid tree? They have very high bonus damage on their early skills, their bleed doesn't wake up sleeping targets, they can raise ATK lvl by lowering attack speed by 100% (yeah, normal attack ftw *eyeroll*), and the majority of their special adds are through using attack skills.

Their crit damage gets boosted from a self-buff, hence the higher damage in crit form they mentioned. Barrage a nearby mob? Good way of saying tp to me and stun me to the 'sin. And now you're stuck targeting a mob on the off chance you do wake up from stun/sleep spam and don't get the auto-target from them attacking you. Hopefully won't be subject to target lag when switching and attacking the assassin ganking them.

They aren't over-powered or the best, but most of the people who post their ultimate 'anti-strategies' are the first I'd expect to get their **** handed to them quite often. Read the freaking skills, think about them a bit, and maybe after all that, make a post.

wise words.....im a 73 archer and am having a hard time dealing with sins and their invisible bs lol!!! all i want to know is the best way to beat em haha!!! could u help me?
  • Aclucius - Lost City
    Aclucius - Lost City Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

1. Assassins are skillful melee combatants

2. Faster than Blademasters and Barbs

3. In Critical Hit Form deals more damage than other classes in MOST situations

You said very specifically you were trying to argue the build is not like an archer. Guess what, both are dexterity based builds, and both have the same stat requirements for their weapons, so assassins and archers do share the same build.

Unless you were trying to argue that the assassin and archer are different classes, which they are, you have failed at this post. As such, either you better correct your mistake in the words you said, or accept you were wrong.
  • Zuyue - Sanctuary
    Zuyue - Sanctuary Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

*cough*
    XD

Why hide when we have a teleport/stun that is longer then the bow range of a archer with max bow range (shadow teleport lvl 10 35meters). Also please do try to metal use at close range while your stun locked ^^
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Why hide when we have a teleport/stun that is longer then the bow range of a archer with max bow range (shadow teleport lvl 10 35meters). Also please do try to metal use at close range while your stun locked ^^

o me was just using sarcasm....everyone knows it be near impossible to aoe a competent assassin out of stealth...
    all they has to do is stay away from any targets lol...
    b:sweat

so...when be the nerf on teleport range going to come out?
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zuyue - Sanctuary
    Zuyue - Sanctuary Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    o me was just using sarcasm....everyone knows it be near impossible to aoe a competent assassin out of stealth...
    all they has to do is stay away from any targets lol...
    b:sweat

so...when be the nerf on teleport range going to come out?

b:chuckle Never! They need nerf physics first like they did wizzys a long time ago :D
    edited February 2010
    Options

b:chuckle Never! They need nerf physics first like they did wizzys a long time ago :D

b:infuriated
    give us frigging flares first (that fits into chinese history of gunpowder) that reveals stealthed assassins first.

b:beg
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]