Options
2»

Comments

• Ceshiari - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - Sanctuary Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    people's responses are a riot.

the 'holier than thou' attitudes in the gaming world never ceases to amaze me. I apologize for not being as perfect as the rest of you, but instead of insulting others who might have accidentally pressed the button (btw, I did read the patch notes, after I pressed the button accidentally), you could have supported the feature of having an option to lock it. But nah, you figured you would be a smart **** and flame others who simply voiced their opinions of not liking this new feature, which they have every right to express. Typical.

Its a neat feature, dont get me wrong. The idea is a neat one, I just think it could use some improvement. Like the option of locking the button, so us click happy people dont keep **** up our meticulously organized inventory or bank space (which btw, I have max of both, and Im a pack rat, so it would take awhile to re-organize lol)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I would be much happier if this sort button was for the bank / wardrobe / cupboard instead.

And I bet that the people who are anal about their inventories are way more annoyed at misclicks than the small benefit this feature provides to those who don't care about their inventory anyway.

Back to how the OP described it: Lets install a switch in your home, nestled among your other light switches, which rearranges all the furniture in your house. Now we'll tell you: if you don't like it, don't use it. How about it?

Edit: To those who like the new feature, here's an example why some of us don't like it. My inventory:
    inventory.png

Since item drops always fill inventory from the top, my secondary sets of armors/apoth/permanent inventory stuff is organized at the bottom. Pressing the button (glitchy mouses, mindless clicking, etc- accidents happen >.>) means that my valuable good armors will get mixed with the junk armors. Apoth items may get mixed with DQ items. And sometimes they share the same icon. It is not at all helpful.

What would be helpful for -everyone- is if we could designate the rows that are subject to be 'sorted'-- eg, having a little check button to the right of each row. The ones not checked are left alone. It shouldn't be very hard to program in, and we'll all be happy. Aye?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I would be much happier if this sort button was for the bank / wardrobe / cupboard instead.

There is one on the bank, upper left corner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I love that button. *_*

But yeah, I'm all in for a lock, warning box, or undo function - and of course, a "sort by type" function.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i dont like it really i ussaly have my never to leave my inventory items first(pickaxe and chrono key for example) then my pots/apoth items then extra equips then mats and after that junk im gonna sell decompose or get rid off but this sort messes that all up
    but some improvements like warning before sorting a lock on it or making it configurable im all in for that
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Albester - Sanctuary
    Albester - Sanctuary Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Great feature, hope they tweak it as per some of the suggestions here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I must say I am disgusted with the amount of replies insisting that hitting the sort button accidentally is impossible and saying that if you don't like it, don't use it.

It is possible to click it accidentally. I am one of those who did so and was very irritated at the outcome. I knew what the button did; I always check out patch notes. But I was not trying to click it. I use a laptop and occasionally the touchpad likes to become unreliable and make the mouse cursor jump a bit. I was going for the "unfolded" button.

Some of you might think this new button is a good thing. I am happy for you that it helps. But some of us do not like it, and do not intend to use it. The point is, accidents happen, and we just want a preventative measure. Nobody said anything about wanting it removed; it would not change anything for those of you that like the button. So there is no reason to be so negative towards those of us who have made a mistake... I am sure none of you are perfect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    How can anyone possibly click the button "by accident"? There are 3 buttons, each clearly titled what they do: Folded, Unfolded, Sort. Not sure what they do? Hover the mouse over one and you'll see a description.

It's funny how they add something nobody requested or suggested for, yet (as always) left all the reported bugs/glitches we DID mention alone.

b:scorn
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Am I the only who didnt notice that sort buttonb:surrender
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

the 'holier than thou' attitudes in the gaming world never ceases to amaze me. I apologize for not being as perfect as the rest of you, but instead of insulting others who might have accidentally pressed the button (btw, I did read the patch notes, after I pressed the button accidentally), you could have supported the feature of having an option to lock it. But nah, you figured you would be a smart **** and flame others who simply voiced their opinions of not liking this new feature, which they have every right to express. Typical.

Its a neat feature, dont get me wrong. The idea is a neat one, I just think it could use some improvement. Like the option of locking the button, so us click happy people dont keep **** up our meticulously organized inventory or bank space (which btw, I have max of both, and Im a pack rat, so it would take awhile to re-organize lol)

Yes, it could use some tweaking. Would be nice if you could organize up and down or pick the order in which it organizes things. But instead of people making suggestions about how to make it better most are just complaining and want the whole idea scrapped.

The old saying "If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem" comes to mind. Lets make things better, or suggest how they can get better :)

And I bet that the people who are anal about their inventories are way more annoyed at misclicks than the small benefit this feature provides to those who don't care about their inventory anyway.

Back to how the OP described it: Lets install a switch in your home, nestled among your other light switches, which rearranges all the furniture in your house. Now we'll tell you: if you don't like it, don't use it. How about it?

Edit: To those who like the new feature, here's an example why some of us don't like it. My inventory:
    inventory.png

Since item drops always fill inventory from the top, my secondary sets of armors/apoth/permanent inventory stuff is organized at the bottom. Pressing the button (glitchy mouses, mindless clicking, etc- accidents happen >.>) means that my valuable good armors will get mixed with the junk armors. Apoth items may get mixed with DQ items. And sometimes they share the same icon. It is not at all helpful.

What would be helpful for -everyone- is if we could designate the rows that are subject to be 'sorted'-- eg, having a little check button to the right of each row. The ones not checked are left alone. It shouldn't be very hard to program in, and we'll all be happy. Aye?

When I was 18 and got my first apartment I rearranged all the furniture once a week anyways, a button like this would have really saved me some back work! But honestly, your idea is like saying ok your apartment comes with a dishwasher, YOU MUST USE IT. When the person moving in is totally green and doesn't like the electricity or water waste that comes with using one. Just b/c its there doesn't mean you must use it. However; there are some tweakings that could be done to make it a better functionality. Maybe everyone can compile suggestions to that effect instead of complaints.

Its like a mom whose child wines, she tunes it out and doesn't hear. But when the child talks in a normal tone she hears everything said. I imagine this is how PWI overlords see this forum.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    it's too big and too close to the wardrobe icon. while no, i have not accidentally clicked it yet, i can see myself doing so at one point.

but it's there, and we all have to get used to it. when have they ever removed something that we actually wanted removed?
  • MiStAiSa - Sanctuary
    MiStAiSa - Sanctuary Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i love this sort button, it makes everything look neat :P
  • Vintersun - Sanctuary
    Vintersun - Sanctuary Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I must say I am disgusted with the amount of replies insisting that hitting the sort button accidentally is impossible and saying that if you don't like it, don't use it.

It is possible to click it accidentally. I am one of those who did so and was very irritated at the outcome. I knew what the button did; I always check out patch notes. But I was not trying to click it. I use a laptop and occasionally the touchpad likes to become unreliable and make the mouse cursor jump a bit. I was going for the "unfolded" button.

Some of you might think this new button is a good thing. I am happy for you that it helps. But some of us do not like it, and do not intend to use it. The point is, accidents happen, and we just want a preventative measure. Nobody said anything about wanting it removed; it would not change anything for those of you that like the button. So there is no reason to be so negative towards those of us who have made a mistake... I am sure none of you are perfect.

First of its a game, it won't take you that much time to put everything back as it was before you hit the sort button. How do you surf on internet and use your computer? some functions do not ask you if you want to push them or not. Like when writing on the keyboard its like your going to write "Hello"
    Upon pushing "H" a message appears "do you want to push H? yes or no?"
    Upon pushing "E" a message appears "do you want to push E? yes or no?"
    Upon pushing "L" a message appears "do you want to push L? yes or no?"
    And so on you get the point...this would be very annoying so instead when making the keyboard they put the letters on the buttons so that everyone could see what each button do. Same with the sort button if you hold over it it says what it does and so on. And I also have a laptop but it never pushes something of its own. Also many things in pwi do activate without asking for confirming like pots and skills.

This isn't about being negative about the fact that everyone makes mistakes, I do not start to complain and want to change something every time I make a mistake and trust me I make hundreds of mistakes eveyday.
    NO...this thread is more about the complaining than any actual problem.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)Gotta Love Bunnies!
  • Zikai - Heavens Tear
    Zikai - Heavens Tear Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hmm.... but does it work on the quest item's inventory also?

I don't want to press it on my veno's inventory because i have about 3 rows of harvested mats organized in alphabetical order, but in my quest inventory, I have empty spaces and random quest items just floating around in there.

I would like the quest items in any order, w/e, just not floating about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Who heals the healer?
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Due to the influx of misplaced threads, all threads will be moved to their correct section or locked. We appreciate your understanding b:victory
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    First of its a game, it won't take you that much time to put everything back as it was before you hit the sort button. How do you surf on internet and use your computer? some functions do not ask you if you want to push them or not. Like when writing on the keyboard its like your going to write "Hello"
    And so on you get the point...this would be very annoying so instead when making the keyboard they put the letters on the buttons so that everyone could see what each button do. Same with the sort button if you hold over it it says what it does and so on. And I also have a laptop but it never pushes something of its own. Also many things in pwi do activate without asking for confirming like pots and skills.

This isn't about being negative about the fact that everyone makes mistakes, I do not start to complain and want to change something every time I make a mistake and trust me I make hundreds of mistakes eveyday.

Yes and your example is rendered moot because the keyboard also has a backspace and delete button in case you press a key by accident, as well as you can always use ctrl+z/ctrl+y to undo/redo.

This new feature, on the other hand, has no such thing. Some of us, particularly those with a fully extended bank/inventory, have come to prefer to have our items sorted a certain way. Having mouse issues, misclicking, being a bit tired and not paying full attention, or using a laptop's mousepad are all ways that we may accidentally push the sort button while knowing full well what it does and then have to suffer the annoyance of re-sorting our inventories to the way we prefer it to be.

But there's NO confirm/deny button (why on earth would you be spamming the sort button often enough for this to be a problem? You have a confirm/deny button for WC that most don't complain about so how would this be a problem?), there's no way to protect certain areas from being sorted, there's no way to choose how things are sorted (which would probably make things a bit easier for many of us), and there's no way to... say... UNDO the changes (aside from manually going through your stuff for the next 5-10 minutes to fix something you didn't want to do in the first place).

We're not asking for this to be removed. We're human and we make mistakes by them by our own fault or hardware issues. What we are asking for is a way to have a chance of catching ourselves. For those of you who enjoy the feature or are gods who are immune to ever making mistakes, good for you. The rest of us would like a bit of help with our mortal ways so we don't **** up.

Imagine if clicking a item in a catshop, just once, was all it took to buy it. No confirm. No chance to double check the price. One click and you're stuck with it. Can you imagine how many (more) people would be screwed over by catshop scams? At least those of us who are smart can, on a bad day where we may not hover over all the items, look at the bottom before we hit that buy button and see that something isn't right. This feature, on the other hand? No such chance. Is it really so wrong for those of us who don't want it to ASK for such a thing? Most of us who have problems with it think this should have been a given for a feature that automatically sorts an entire inventory but we're not ramming that down people's throats. We just want a slight fix or modification so we can continue along our merry way.

To those saying, "Don't like it then don't use it," that's what we're trying to do here. Unfortunately, some of us are not able to perfectly avoid the occasional misclick and will wind up using this feature by mistake. At least have some courtesy and decency to those of us with this issue instead of ignorantly putting on a facade of omnipotence and telling us things we already know, such as that hovering our mouse over the button tells us what it does... which is something we wouldn't want to do so that we'd avoid clicking the mouse while it's hovering, or giving us a condescending attitude about how it's impossible to accidentally click something. I'm quite certain all of you have had at least one misclick in the past, so it's not as if this is completely unreasonable to ask for.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    if your not a total moron...

lol

b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    axt57 wrote: »
    I pressed it due to curiosity.

Spent the next 10 mins putting stuff back to its correct place; I really don't see how it sorts anything, just dumps everything together at the top.
    I did the samething but it didn't take 10 mins simple solution just press it much like the safety lock.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    We're not asking for this to be removed. We're human and we make mistakes by them by our own fault or hardware issues. What we are asking for is a way to have a chance of catching ourselves. For those of you who enjoy the feature or are gods who are immune to ever making mistakes, good for you. The rest of us would like a bit of help with our mortal ways so we don't **** up.

Imagine if clicking a item in a catshop, just once, was all it took to buy it. No confirm. No chance to double check the price. One click and you're stuck with it. Can you imagine how many (more) people would be screwed over by catshop scams? At least those of us who are smart can, on a bad day where we may not hover over all the items, look at the bottom before we hit that buy button and see that something isn't right. This feature, on the other hand? No such chance. Is it really so wrong for those of us who don't want it to ASK for such a thing? Most of us who have problems with it think this should have been a given for a feature that automatically sorts an entire inventory but we're not ramming that down people's throats. We just want a slight fix or modification so we can continue along our merry way.

To those saying, "Don't like it then don't use it," that's what we're trying to do here. Unfortunately, some of us are not able to perfectly avoid the occasional misclick and will wind up using this feature by mistake. At least have some courtesy and decency to those of us with this issue instead of ignorantly putting on a facade of omnipotence and telling us things we already know, such as that hovering our mouse over the button tells us what it does... which is something we wouldn't want to do so that we'd avoid clicking the mouse while it's hovering, or giving us a condescending attitude about how it's impossible to accidentally click something. I'm quite certain all of you have had at least one misclick in the past, so it's not as if this is completely unreasonable to ask for.

Actually several of the threads have said just that, that they didn't like the button and want it removed. I happen to like it, however; I do agree there needs to be a way to switch it off.
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    "accidentally hit it..."

Heh.
    Belligero
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • lymphocyte
    lymphocyte Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    quit complaining ****! i like the new sort button.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    How do you surf on internet and use your computer? some functions do not ask you if you want to push them or not. Like when writing on the keyboard its like your going to write "Hello"

This is user interface design 101. Any time a single click can cause an action which takes more than a few seconds to undo, there MUST be a confirmation. If you mistype something into your web browser, it takes a fraction of a second to hit backspace and correct it. If you mis-click on a link, there's a back button to immediately take you back. So of course those functions don't have confirmations.

A better analogy than the ones you gave would be what happens in IE (or used to happen - I don't use IE anymore because of this issue) if you're typing a reply on a forum and you accidentally click the back button. You would lose everything you typed. Clicking forward to get back to the compose post page would just reload it as a fresh, blank page; as if you'd clicked on Reply for the first time. Everything you'd typed was gone.

Firefox's programmers realized this was a UI problem and fixed it by making Firefox remember everything you typed if you accidentally clicked the back button. The browser can even crash and it'll usually recover everything you typed. This is good UI design. If a mistake or error can cause loss of a significant amount of work, then the software is designed to allow you to recover that work painlessly.

The current Sort button implementation is a poster child for poor UI design.
  • IDoomblade - Heavens Tear
    IDoomblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

I agree...

But yeah, I'm all in for a lock, warning box, or undo function - and of course, a "sort by type" function.

This will be a must! This is a good feature, but surely needs an undo-sort option and other features.

truekossy wrote: »
    Yes and your example is rendered moot blee blee blah blah yippity doo... (rant continues several paragraphs)...

I bet %90 or more scroll right through your post...

Think for yourself - Question authority

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pot_Head - Harshlands
    Pot_Head - Harshlands Posts: 701 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I hit it 15 times day because it makes me fill gudb:cute
    But ya I like it fun to use n stuff + if u don't like it don't click it I kno it's hard though.b:laugh
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's not a totally bad idea but definitely could be improved. Safety pop up like many had suggested would be nice. My main problem with it is that it puts your empty spaces towards the bottom so if you have an expanded inventory, you'll have to keep scrolling down for the things you just aquired. I might consider using it if the blank spaces were placed on top instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Vintersun - Sanctuary
    Vintersun - Sanctuary Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Firefox's programmers realized this was a UI problem and fixed it by making Firefox remember everything you typed if you accidentally clicked the back button. The browser can even crash and it'll usually recover everything you typed. This is good UI design. If a mistake or error can cause loss of a significant amount of work, then the software is designed to allow you to recover that work painlessly.

The current Sort button implementation is a poster child for poor UI design.

Tell that to my firefox, I have the newest one and it still cant remember anything if I push the back button. O_O

And also the crash recover has the effect that every time I shut down firefox and then try to turn of the computer firefox tries to recover the page I was on when closing the browser window and the computer reboots every time I turn it off because firefox tries to recover the page.

Nothing is perfect that is infact what I am trying to say and many of the pwi players do a mistake, don't feel like they want to admit it and instead start to complain because everything must be the gms fault.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)Gotta Love Bunnies!
  • Oo_Rinoa_oO - Harshlands
    Oo_Rinoa_oO - Harshlands Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i agree with ppl saying we need Lock, but undo for your own mistakes??
    Its like saying "oh... i died and mistakenly came back to town... can i undo and wait till anyones res?"
    well, go bk there and die again lmao

or

undo should cost 1Gold each time as it requires servers to keep info abt your ex-inventory, dont even suggest unless youre CSer...