I Figured Out Why Dex = Dagger Damage!!!

Lenn_ - Sanctuary
Lenn_ - Sanctuary Posts: 507 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
OK SO. i was playing dragon age on the xbox, and i was making a rogue which specialized with daggers. now daggers on DA use DEX to increase their damage.

now, dragon age is a spiritual successor to baldurs gate, which is based on dungeons and dragons. sooooo i made the connection...

D&D uses dex for dagger damage and i completely forgot :D.

they must be rooting back to our original RPG roots! idk/randomthoughts.
Post edited by Lenn_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Super_Trout - Dreamweaver
    Super_Trout - Dreamweaver Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I figured it out with common sense. ._.

Give a steroid-abusing neanderthal a dagger to fight with, and he's likely to get himself killed.

Give a small skinny guy that's good with his hands a dagger, and he's can be pretty scary.

Daggers aren't about how strong you are, or how much force you put behind your stabs/slashes, it's about how you use them and where you hit. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010

Give a steroid-abusing neanderthal a dagger to fight with, and he's likely to get himself killed.

Give a small skinny guy that's good with his hands a dagger, and he's can be pretty scary.

Daggers aren't about how strong you are, or how much force you put behind your stabs/slashes, it's about how you use them and where you hit. b:cute
    psh thats just silly thinking :P
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    OK SO. i was playing dragon age on the xbox, and i was making a rogue which specialized with daggers. now daggers on DA use DEX to increase their damage.

now, dragon age is a spiritual successor to baldurs gate, which is based on dungeons and dragons. sooooo i made the connection...

D&D uses dex for dagger damage and i completely forgot :D.

they must be rooting back to our original RPG roots! idk/randomthoughts.

LoL's nice xD

b:surrender tho you know what will spoons/mod say

"no talking about other games"
    b:dirty
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    pfft, console game =/= competing MMO.
  • FranzKafka - Dreamweaver
    FranzKafka - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    D&D games use strenght for damage for daggers like all types of melee weapons,they use dex for attack bonus(chance to hit) only if you select a certain feat.Dex is used only for ranged weapons dmg only.
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    LoL's nice xD

nah in this occeasion it will be forgiven but stil moved to off topic or locked i guess cause its a kinda pointless thread
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    LoL's nice xD

yes.. and u quoted it xD

they can read ewery edit we make tho so it doesnt realy matter >_>
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010

You're somewhat wrong, seriously. Sure dexterity means how you clever you use your skills but it's magic that makes up for it. b:surrender

In certain MMOs, magic is named as intellect (INT/MAG) and of course, if you're intelligent and know what to do or how to use the weapon, you're able to use anything.

b:surrender

That's why clerics/venos/psychics/wizards should be able to use any weapon with all those mag within them. b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    D&D games use strenght for damage for daggers like all types of melee weapons,they use dex for attack bonus(chance to hit) only if you select a certain feat.Dex is used only for ranged weapons dmg only.
    DEX increases the damage of piercing weapons O_o; that includes daggers and arrows. it also increases accuracy, chance to evade, and acts as a damage modifier on daggers.

1[W] + dex mod = damage for most skills on rogues >>;
    edited January 2010
    I haven't played Dragon age but sure I did played baldur's gate and nwn.And that is how it works in those games.So saying PWI goes back to old rules is untrue.It's Dragon Age that does something totally new to the genre.
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    I haven't played Dragon age but sure I did played baldur's gate and nwn.And that is how it works in those games.So saying PWI goes back to old rules is untrue.It's Dragon Age that does something totally new to the genre.
    well baldur's gate was based off the forgotten realms story wise, dragon age is its spirtual succesor, in which falls more on its D&D roots, theyre made by the same company btw :P. daggers = damage from dex according to 4th edition rules.

bioware makes godly games ~_~;
  • u235
    u235 Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I have a different theory. They made dex add damage because they wanted a melee fighter with light armor and THAT WAS THE ONLY DAMN WAY TO MAKE IT WORK.

Now if you still want to make details about it... let's say that you have to be skilled with a small piercing weapon to hit the right places and deal more damage thus needing dex, unlike an axe which you just drop at your enemy skull.
  • Matalina - Lost City
    Matalina - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    pfft, console game =/= competing MMO.

D&D=MMO nice try though.

bring out the banhammer
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Nevermind, lol. Had a nice reply typed up and when I posted it didn't post right... although, it did preview correctly. Don't have time to retype it. Sorry.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    D&D=MMO nice try though.

bring out the banhammer
    tabletop board games arent MMOs, dont get off topic >>
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    DEX increases the damage of piercing weapons O_o; that includes daggers and arrows. it also increases accuracy, chance to evade, and acts as a damage modifier on daggers.

1[W] + dex mod = damage for most skills on rogues >>;

You forgot blades, they work off dex as well. Axes and polehammers in theory could pierce as well since the polehammers have a huge spike on them.

Either way, the best way imo for it to work right is the way they've done it. But who knows.

Just wanted to point out that blades in thsi game also work off of dex.
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    You forgot blades, they work off dex as well. Axes and polehammers in theory could pierce as well since the polehammers have a huge spike on them.

Either way, the best way imo for it to work right is the way they've done it. But who knows.

Just wanted to point out that blades in thsi game also work off of dex.
    i dont think so, blades take way more str than dex to wear. take the frost blade for example:

Str required 173
    dex required 131

bows/daggers on the other hand have rather large dex requirements but hardly any str.
    edited January 2010
    i dont think so, blades take way more str than dex to wear. take the frost blade for example:

Str required 173
    dex required 131

bows/daggers on the other hand have rather large dex requirements but hardly any str.

Why must you constantly argue/troll me? I didn't say that they work in completion with Dex only.. I said they also work off of dex.

You yourself just reiterated my point by showing the:

Str required 173
    Dex required 131

I only brought up a point I felt would be worth mentioning in a thread about weapons that are dex based. Don't freak out so easy. Contrary to what you might think, I'm not the enemy.
  • Lenn_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Why must you constantly argue/troll me? I didn't say that they work in completion with Dex only.. I said they also work off of dex.

You yourself just reiterated my point by showing the:

Str required 173
    Dex required 131

I only brought up a point I felt would be worth mentioning in a thread about weapons that are dex based. Don't freak out so easy. Contrary to what you might think, I'm not the enemy.
    dont go picking a fight because i disagreed with you. im clearly stating in a non argumentative way that their damage is not dex based, nor are swords or fists. dont be so quick to assume things.

my post you quoted the first time was stating things from D&D, not PW
  • Draykarna - Sanctuary
    Draykarna - Sanctuary Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Well the way I see it is. They couldnt realy have sins use str for thier weps because they are only realy to do low damage quickly, wear LA and crit. If they had them use str for thier wep we would have HA sins running around. If thats the case besides skills, why not just roll a sword or fist BM. So the use of dex for daggers is also armour wise to.

But in a general sence your right, that in most games sins/ninjas and the like use dex for speed,evasion and accuracy, crits and as well as wear LA. And thats how we precieve them to be not decked out in chain or plate armour (which as I said would be the case if they were to use str for dagger attack).
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/HIM_Wraith/Dray_Sig5_zps515c7918.png[/SIGPIC]
    .:sig by me:.

.:My Chars:.
    .:Draykarna-Veno-8x.:.NiteShade_-Sin-4x.:.Shavain-Psy-7x.:.Kellyka-Cleric-7x.:.Ravenda-Seeker-5x.:.Valaskar-Arch-1x:.
    edited January 2010
    I think what OneShot means is that if daggers take dex for damage because "pierce"like damage some other blades may be seen as pierce damaging weapons.Atleast is how I read what she said.
  • Sthenith - Dreamweaver
    Sthenith - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dexterity

This explains it all i think. Without any skill in using ones hands, how can one be able to handle fighting with daggers anyway.

So it's normal that dexterity influences that ability. It's just plain logic implemented when the first rpg ever came into existence, and that was even BEFORE pc's even existed.

Also, dagger skills are based on speed and agility. That's why in some games DEX is replaced by "Agility".

As for the "str" requirement part : even someone with high dexterity must have some str to be able to do some damage, fast and agile is good but useless without some "punch" behind it.

p.s. : someone with heavy armour would only be "hindered" by it when they need speed if you follow the same logic.
    edited January 2010
    dont go picking a fight because i disagreed with you. im clearly stating in a non argumentative way that their damage is not dex based, nor are swords or fists. dont be so quick to assume things.

my post you quoted the first time was stating things from D&D, not PW

Yes, but they won't either of them work without having both DEX and STR.
    I think what OneShot means is that if daggers take dex for damage because "pierce"like damage some other blades may be seen as pierce damaging weapons.Atleast is how I read what she said.

And yes, that is exactly what I meant. Where a magic caster doesn't by nature have an actual weapon as how you would think of "piercing".

But yes, that is exactly what I meant.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    aaah baldur's gate...aaa baldur's gate II :D

mages were so powerful...i had 3 mages of various sorts in my party (mage/cleric, conj, mage/thief)...some of the bhaalspawn fights i did 3 consecutive time stops haha
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
    edited January 2010
    BM:dual swords,claws,fists,axes,hammers
    barbs:dual hammer,axes
    assassins:dual daggers
    Why wizards can't have dual sakyamuni's light? b:laugh
  • RaDeSK - Sanctuary
    RaDeSK - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Javelin is a pierce weapon, so you think that dmg is decided by Dex from somebody?... -.-' try to pierce a dragon using only your dex (actually in this case it will depend of the armor to get through so you can use or not the str)

Anyway, weapons based in how you need to handle like bows (have to set, take aim bla bla) small weapons that you need to hit fast or weapons that you need to be precise (rapier) you use dex, weapons that you need brute force like:
    Axes, maul, swords (to brake somebody def) you'll use your str.

This is logical... it's not because some rpg said that it was... and the rpg named it is a mmo rpg too.
    edited January 2010
    So for bows you don't need strenght to pierce a dragon?More you pull the string harder you'll hit or pierce an armour.same as for a javelin.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Javelin is a pierce weapon, so you think that dmg is decided by Dex from somebody?... -.-' try to pierce a dragon using only your dex (actually in this case it will depend of the armor to get through so you can use or not the str)

Anyway, weapons based in how you need to handle like bows (have to set, take aim bla bla) small weapons that you need to hit fast or weapons that you need to be precise (rapier) you use dex, weapons that you need brute force like:
    Axes, maul, swords (to brake somebody def) you'll use your str.

This is logical... it's not because some rpg said that it was... and the rpg named it is a mmo rpg too.

My Rogue in a particular MMO that shall remain un-named but is considered by many to be the grand daddy of all MMO's was a DEX based character (primarily) and slew the Dragon Vluudeen solo (which for him was an accomplishment, considering his level at the time). Which then prompted me to try it on my Wizard Lucifruge shown here who was of even lower level.
    http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/Dragonwindspirit/Dragons/EQ000001.jpg

Dex is used to allow your character to Finesse a move. In other words, instead of just stabbing blindly at your target hoping to hit a vital area, you finesse your attack, slip your blade between the fourth and fifth ribs, into their heart and ending their days.

Dex is about Finesse. Period.

~Saitada

*edit* Changed image to a link to un-break the forums lol.
  • TW_spy - Heavens Tear
    TW_spy - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Some weapons do require str...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0396.html