Veno or Psychic for solo grind?

Options
locdoc
locdoc Posts: 5 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Venomancer
Hello.
I'm playing Veno for a long time, I always loved solo grind...
Now I'm considering starting a Psychic to try if it isn't better...
Maybe You could help me out?
Is Psychic really so powerful?
I can't afford herc/nix for veno if it counts... If it comes to mana usage I'm capable to use charms from the begining... Which will be better to grind solo fast? Veno or Psy?
Post edited by locdoc on

Comments

• Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Veno will always be the best solo grinder. Always.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    its was opened in psyhic section too and i think most ppl who got a 60-70+ veno know its the ebst because: pet tank (dont hit u the mobs, pet the meat shield),heal/mp skill and hp/mp switch and with a hercules u can tank in tt too.
  • Ketki - Sanctuary
    Ketki - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Veno will always be the best solo grinder. Always.

I think that too. That's why I've quit all my other characters. All I want is to have fun with the best solo grinder.

Though I think this topic shares my doubt too. Psychic probably won't be able to solo bosses as Venos can do, but if you talk about normal monster grinding...I really have to hesitate here. Can psychic kill faster than a Veno? I think yes they can...can they AoE grind like freaks?

Psychic counters: no pet and no skills for mana management (lots $$$ go for potion/charms and venos are more autonomous in that way).

Well just my thoughts. I love both classes.
    Ketki - Sanctuary
  • locdoc
    locdoc Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So... If You don't count mana loss Psych is better/faster with solo grind or not? :P It seems he can grind without mobs even touching him. Looks like he could kill more mobs in the same time than Veno. Right?
  • Nudefoxy - Lost City
    Nudefoxy - Lost City Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    haha omg funny, choose the veno and dump the fish stick
  • Treegirl - Dreamweaver
    Treegirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My friend has a Level 60ish Psychic and let me tell you, I love the damage he does. That said, I've watched him try to solo and it's freakin' hilarious. You will never see a Psychic soloing TT, FB59+ or some of the tougher bosses. It's not going to happen. People have this clouded ideal that Psychics are like the ultimate solo grinding class, but they're really not. They ARE over-powered DDs, but that's about it. They're like Wizards with blue skin >.<.

As for the best soloing experience, you will NEVER beat the speed or pace of a good Venomancer. EVER. Not going to happen. Get it? Never! At Level 60+, I can pull 5-6 mobs in FBs with Herc, let him get a Bash off on each one and then (if I'm not spam healing because of SC or Attack+ mobs), I just spam Noxious Gas. If it's just normal mobs, I sometimes (not always successfully) pull 8-10 mobs at a time. You don't see this very often because it's not really the best strategy for a pure veno, but it does work.

Also, I've noticed that even on basic mobs like....ok, like on Oracle IIs for instance. I see most people my level doing 1-2 at a time and then they either need a rest or have to spam potions. I can consistantly kill 3-4 wicked pirates at a time with no worries.

I'm not going to lie. A veno without a Herc is like a Barb without Flesh Ream. Pretty much useless.....
  • Ketki - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    At Level 60+, I can pull 5-6 mobs in FBs with Herc, let him get a Bash off on each one and then (if I'm not spam healing because of SC or Attack+ mobs), I just spam Noxious Gas. If it's just normal mobs, I sometimes (not always successfully) pull 8-10 mobs at a time. You don't see this very often because it's not really the best strategy for a pure veno, but it does work.

I'm trying to learn that. I got my herc bashing the mob and I don't have to heal him much. Though when I cast Noxious Gas the monsters come to attack me. You say "I just spam Noxious Gas". My question..how the hell you do that without getting the aggro on you?
    Ketki - Sanctuary
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. A veno without a Herc is like a Barb without Flesh Ream. Pretty much useless.....

If you think that you fail. End of story
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Nudefoxy - Lost City
    Nudefoxy - Lost City Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    haha veno with herc is funny, i hade one veno who was about few levels lower then me attack me with herc, i tell u that he does gave me a good damage but my magmite just rolled over stood up and we walked awayb:thanks
  • Fangxing - Heavens Tear
    Fangxing - Heavens Tear Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

Are we hiding a deep dark fail pulling the strings of that herc of yours? b:question

Anyways, psychics are squishy, why would they make the best grinders? Cause they can kill fast? Speed means nothing on mobs if one has double health, runs at you, and knocks you into next Tuesday. Most of the time when it comes to killing mobs, you have a plan of attack: if I use X, Y, and Z in that order then mob will die. However, some monsters need X, Y, Z, AND A, B, C attacks which can mean your face is getting smashed in.

We venos have pets to take our blows, so there are no crazy planning. Just point, click attack, and then going to get a cup of tea.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now I know that PWE is ran by a bucket of monkeys on speed.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    As for the best soloing experience, you will NEVER beat the speed or pace of a good Venomancer. EVER. Not going to happen. Get it? Never! At Level 60+, I can pull 5-6 mobs in FBs with Herc, let him get a Bash off on each one and then (if I'm not spam healing because of SC or Attack+ mobs), I just spam Noxious Gas. If it's just normal mobs, I sometimes (not always successfully) pull 8-10 mobs at a time. You don't see this very often because it's not really the best strategy for a pure veno, but it does work.
    thats at lower lvl, like you are now. at higher lvl, wizards or archers kill faster than a veno. veno with pet can tank things better but it doesnt mean that you can kill faster. about AoE, clerics and bm's can solo aoe too and that even faster.
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Options
    kenlee wrote: »
    thats at lower lvl, like you are now. at higher lvl, wizards or archers kill faster than a veno. veno with pet can tank things better but it doesnt mean that you can kill faster. about AoE, clerics and bm's can solo aoe too and that even faster.

oh come on, higher lv who solo aoeing when have delta(i allways do with all class pt[was all class before tideborn])?
    another thing a veno with bm+ep can solo aoe, or veno +wizz+ep (wf like lurer with his aoe and this not a theory only, my guild mate made that [he was the highest wf in guild ofc XD])

another variation the veno + ep at 9x with poison mobs, veno lure ep dding and after that veno dding too, this is a variation what ppl's use.

u can lv how u want, have alot variation :P

if higher lv mean 95-100 then yes else archer>wizz=~veno with good pet (in good i mean not a noob low dmg pet)
  • WShadow - Harshlands
    WShadow - Harshlands Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    kenlee wrote: »

Speed is not all. Veno dont need pots, almost dont need repair, dont need meditate. So it makes them much cheaper or faster. And i think second best grinder is archer made to grind. With my 84 one if i use MP regen stuff i can grind all time without any pots or meditate, just like veno.

Wiz and physic never will be able grind so fast with meditation or so cheap with using pots.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Best grinder, even after costs - Axe BM
    Than the other good grindfers: Other BM types, Archers. Psyc, Clerics (on poison mobs), Wizards/Venos, Barbs.

The Psychic, in my experience, is right after Bm/archer, and before cleric, since they have knockbacks, purifies, heals, and voodoo. It can kill much faster than a veno will ever be able to kill (except ? bosses), it has high survivability using white voodoo, high damage using dark voodo. It has a decent heal, purify, damage resistance skills, better heal buffs.
    With a little planning, using apoc pots, mana is not an issue at all.

Venos are the best solo class overall, but they are not the fastest, with the exception of ? mobs. All other classes are better at their jobs (obviously), and with a little planning will out-farm a veno.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Ketki - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have to be honest, this is an amazing topic to discuss. b:victory

Anyway...I'm wondering how the hell can a Veno AoE grind 15 monsters at once. I don't feel it's faster than single grinding, but it's fun...pure fun. I wanna feel powerful!

Exp. Venos out there, come on share your AoE grind tactics with me!!! I wanna AoE grind 15 mobs at once! Which mobs and where?
    Ketki - Sanctuary
  • Fatboykkb - Heavens Tear
    Fatboykkb - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    haha veno with herc is funny, i hade one veno who was about few levels lower then me attack me with herc, i tell u that he does gave me a good damage but my magmite just rolled over stood up and we walked awayb:thanks

+1 to this that stupid veno said a veno is useless without a herc hahaha its so funny how stupid some people can be sorry for trolling but i had to say something about her.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have to be honest, this is an amazing topic to discuss. b:victory

Anyway...I'm wondering how the hell can a Veno AoE grind 15 monsters at once. I don't feel it's faster than single grinding, but it's fun...pure fun. I wanna feel powerful!

Exp. Venos out there, come on share your AoE grind tactics with me!!! I wanna AoE grind 15 mobs at once! Which mobs and where?

As a Veno, AOE grinding is a waste of time and effort. You are better off just killing one/two mobs at the time and getting done in 5 secs flat.

Just because it can be done, it does not mean it is cost/time effective. You can also solo tank Pole as a veno, but it is not cost/time effective. You can also dual herc tank Pole, also not time/cost effective.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Bebisita - Dreamweaver
    Bebisita - Dreamweaver Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Spoken like a true oracle'd veno. b:quiet
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Options
    As a Veno, AOE grinding is a waste of time and effort. You are better off just killing one/two mobs at the time and getting done in 5 secs flat.

Just because it can be done, it does not mean it is cost/time effective. You can also solo tank Pole as a veno, but it is not cost/time effective. You can also dual herc tank Pole, also not time/cost effective.

in aquad with other class is worth :) with cleric/bm/(wizz too if got enough high hp/pdef) a veno can gather15-20mob and they can solo them pretty fast another side for this need a partner but in solo too they kill enough fast, i dont noticed any problem in soloing speed agiast 1-2 mob 1x.
  • Fenian_I - Dreamweaver
    Fenian_I - Dreamweaver Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    hmmm... where do I start

Let's start with the aoe grinding as a veno. First... if you wanna fight 15 mobs at the same time, your pet NEEDS to have the skill "reflect". A herc starts with this skill, but I believe this scroll can be obtained in certain instances, such as dragon temple. Secondly, you need to either be a light armour or heavy armour veno... or you need to wait a bit before you start using ur AoE's. The trick is to do less dps than the reflect is doing.

As for the person who said a veno attacked with a herc and ur magmite rolled over and dusted himself off (or something along those lines)... Realize this. Herc does only slightly more dmg than the magmites (VERY slight... as in, it's almost the exact same dmg). Herc has MUCH higher def, however. There is a skill that boosts a herc's def, which a magmite does not have. Do not ever mistake a magmite for being the equivalent of a herc. A magmite is the poor man's version of a herc. If you cannot afford a herc of your own, use a magmite until you can get an armoured bear. Please do not, however, hate the people that can afford to get a herc. Just take pride in knowing you got where you are without having to spend real money and accept the fact that no free pet will be the equivalent of a pet that costs $200 to get.

Now... for the topic of this thread. Solo grinding. Deciding which is the best class for solo grinding is all dependent on what you define as "best". If, by that, you mean the one that makes the most money in the least amount of time... then the veno will win it every time. If you're going for the most exp in the least amount of time... well... at the lower lvls, venos are very good for this. At around lvl 60+, though, they get surpassed by a lot of other people. I have not tried a psychic, so I do not know how fast they are at lvl 60+, but I'm willing to bet they are prolly still faster than a veno.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    in aquad with other class is worth :) with cleric/bm/(wizz too if got enough high hp/pdef) a veno can gather15-20mob and they can solo them pretty fast another side for this need a partner but in solo too they kill enough fast, i dont noticed any problem in soloing speed agiast 1-2 mob 1x.

oops, I was not clear about my comment on the aoe grinding... You are right, in a squad a veno can do really well.

My comment was intended to be directed at solo aoe grinding as a veno.
  • Nakendra - Dreamweaver
    Nakendra - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have a Veno and a Psychic, and I like both.
    My Psychic is a quick killer but uses a ton of MP.
    also need help with bosses.
    My Veno does Bosses better because my pet can
    take most of the hits.
  • Amale - Sanctuary
    Amale - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Venos grind slower than psychics, but at a much, MUCH lower cost.

end answer..

/start flame
    In support of non-herc venos:
    For those couple venos stating Hercs are ''the end all be all', it's great you spent $200 on a pet, good for you..
    but if you feel that it gives you more skill than a veno like myself who has 10 pets (land/air/water raised from level 4ish to my current level)...you are mistaken.
    There are many reasons why we are able to tame pets, as there are reasons why there are such a variety of them and abilities to enhance them with exist.

But you would never know that buying oracle scrolls and cash shop pets...(you bought the meat/hay too I'll bet)
    /end flame
  • Fenian_I - Dreamweaver
    Fenian_I - Dreamweaver Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Venos grind slower than psychics, but at a much, MUCH lower cost.

end answer..

/start flame
    In support of non-herc venos:
    For those couple venos stating Hercs are ''the end all be all', it's great you spent $200 on a pet, good for you..
    but if you feel that it gives you more skill than a veno like myself who has 10 pets (land/air/water raised from level 4ish to my current level)...you are mistaken.
    There are many reasons why we are able to tame pets, as there are reasons why there are such a variety of them and abilities to enhance them with exist.

But you would never know that buying oracle scrolls and cash shop pets...(you bought the meat/hay too I'll bet)
    /end flame

imo, the best combo possible for pets is to have a herc, kowlin, nix, and plumpfish. Don't overestimate yourself just because you've taken the time to find a favourite free pet. Some people that have hercs still know how to play their veno. I mean, not everyone uses real money to buy their herc or nix. So... how do you think they get that much in-game coin?

I'm not saying that, just because you have a herc, you'll be a good veno. I'm just saying that having a herc doesn't mean you're lazy or inexperienced in the ways of the veno. It also doesn't mean you go heavy on the whoracles. I worked very hard to get the money for my nix and herc (as many people on DW can vouche for me).

In closing, I wanna say that, while I do agree that being without a herc or nix doesn't make you useless... I just say they are still the best pets you can get.
  • Darkpearl - Lost City
    Darkpearl - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    haha omg funny, choose the veno and dump the fish stick

oh commonn ive played psychic and lvl up faster than veno
  • MorticiaBone - Raging Tide
    MorticiaBone - Raging Tide Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I hate to see people without herc jeleous of a veno with one. It is true that veno can be good without both nix and herc,but if you are able to afford it or willing to save for one then by all means,go ahead and get it. Herc is the best tank pet in the game.
    I had a higher lvl veno back while I was playing on DW and I had a herc and nix,I was so used to them that I just wanted to have them here on RT too,I had some extra cash (rl cash) laying around and I bought a herc,I am lvl 27 atm and you wont believe how many rude whispers I get. "I bet you would like oracles back in the shop so you can buy them too" "how the hell could a lame low lvl noob like you get a herc" and so on...

I tried Psy,I like the dmg they do but I am used to always having enough coins to update skills and purchase what I want every now and then.Veno,as said by someone before in this thread,is a simple class to play...basically your pet takes all the dmg (unless you pull aggro) which means you dont have to buy pots,which again means you have all the extra coins you need,which again means you dont have to worry about getting the money to update your skills and so on. I tried all the classes,and I like the veno the most.

Back on the thread itself:
    I dont have a high lvl psy but I do believe they can kill fatsre then venos,especially when higher lvl. On the other hand,venos are more easier to handle,they use less mp,you dont have to worry about hp much,they are cheaper...You dont need to get a herc unless you really want to be able to solo more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    this thread is months old but ofc ppl that agree veno is faster lvling are only 6x-7x lvl
    they have no idea how other classes kill mobs at 9x or 100
    as i said veno is fast in low and mid lvls, when the other classes get their decent gear and they start refining (point to archer/wiz or bm/cleric solo aoe), veno is far behing. aoe with veno? it takes more to aoe kill those 15 mobs than 1v1 or 1v2.