Psychic Skill guide (+suggestions to devs)

Options
2»

Comments

• Fishtaco - Lost City
    Fishtaco - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ok, first of all, this is my first character guide, and it probably won't all fit on one post, so I'll try to quickly respond enough to get all the useful info in. Notes to Devs in red

This is NOT MEANT TO TELL YOU WHAT EVERY SKILL DOES, but to give a more basic run down of some of the uses of the psycic skills. If you want to know what the skills do www.ecatomb.net has always been useful, and the site's owner is working on updating the site to cover psychics more effectively.

Aqua Impact - One of your first skills, and a great skill for soloing long into... forever. It has a lovely addition of a slow, 50% chance for 40% at level 10, so it makes a great lead off skill when attacking mobs at a distance.
    Sage should be 100% chance for 50% slow, demon should be 60% chance 80% slow. Duration for both cultivations should be doubled.

Spirit Blast - The other of your starter skills, and still a factor in my single target macros, it does more damage than Aqua Impact, and fills the recharge delays efficiently.
    Good choices for skill from beginning, balanced with wizard/cleric. Sage should add an additional 100% of weapon damage, demon should add a Damage over time = 200% weapon damage.

Black Voodoo - Inherent skill that makes Psychics a valid alternative to a Wizard, without this skill, Psychics would be a tiny bit weaker than wizzies, and with the lack of a sustained aoe, psychics are left needing something to bring them up to the same level. However, the +22 atk level/-11 def level at max just doesn't seem like that much of a BAM!
    +Atk level should increase with leveling while -def level should decrease rather than leveling in parallel. A good point for max atk level would be +33 with a good point for - def level being around -15 with them starting at +8/-35 or something of that sort. Sage should nullify -def level, Demon should increase +atk lvl.

White Voodoo - Necessary for instances (other than TT) in which you're using a herc tank or a barb tank weaker than yourself. However, I cannot stress this enough, until the stats are changed on this skill DO NOT LEVEL IT, max level cripples your character and makes you useless to your squads.
    Ok, what the hell, max level -99 Atk level? I'll say a similar thing as my comment on black voodoo, it should level in contradictory directions with def level ending where it does +66 but atk endin somewhere between -50 and -33, as it is, it's a skill people should not want to level. Sage should nullify -atk level, demon should increase + def level.

Soul of Vengeance - Ok, I love that this skill exists, but there's really no need to level it until you're taking part in fb 69(maybe 51), TT 2-3+ or TW. The only thing leveling does at the moment, is increases range.
    Another mistake on the need/lack of need to level for this skill. the % should start around 2% and end at 15-20% with the cost decreasing from 1.5% to about .5%. Also with the duration matching the recharge and that being 3 minutes, the buff should be unpurgeable. Sage should increase reflect by 50% over normal end value, demon should add a negative buff.

Torrent - Purely damage over time, and not remarkably much, only applies to a single target, not worth leveling unless demon/sage offers some nice bonuses.
    Damage over time should be a bonus to a skill, such as cleric's thunderball, not the only aspect of a skill, unless that skill is an aoe. Add some instant damage and reduce the damage over time. Also, the name fails for a water dot skill, perhaps submersion or some more intense synonym if sticking to dot or switching to aoe dot. Sage should increase damage, Demon should reduce duration.

Bubble of Life - the description of the skill excited me initially, but I came to find out, it's really only effective as an occasional self heal (or if you stay close to others when fighting). It's essentially a weak off self aoe ironheart and not good for a quick save my **** situation, but useful for those inbetween periods when you need more hp before the next fight.
    Increase the range, decrease the cooldown. Sage should add a spike heal to the initial cast, Demon should add mana recovery to the cast.

Landslide - Essential psychic soloing skill, this knockback puts you nearly in the same category as a wizard as untouchable by melee mobs if you're paying attention, as well as it lacks the aoe of the wizard's knockback, so you're less likely to disturb other nearby monsters when keeping a mob away from you.
    Perfect skill. Sage should increase damage and knockback range. Demon should add 3 second stun to knockback.

End of Row 1, row 2 and 3 will be in consecutive posts.

+1 on most suggestions
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    tide spirit is like sutra, it makes you channel faster not slower...

b:shocked
    oops me use wrong analogy.
    (>.<)'
    sowwys
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CyanideX - Lost City
    CyanideX - Lost City Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    thats not a guide lol, a guide would be saying

Its best to max "this" skill and such.

That doesnt explain anything besides what the skill does and your opinion on it lol.
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    thats not a guide lol, a guide would be saying

Its best to max "this" skill and such.

That doesnt explain anything besides what the skill does and your opinion on it lol.
    ye i said that too,...
    and when referring to ecatomb when ecatomb doesnt update anything on em,... :S
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm a pure magic build. Even with White Voodoo on constantly, throwing down soul of vengeance and Enhanced Vigor on the tank, I still managed to pull aggro off a slightly higher level Tank with gear refined higher than mine who was spamming flesh ream at every opportunity. Maybe there was something missing in what he was doing that I didn't see, dunno.

Without any Voodoo on using a same level (as myself)herc tank on any mob not outleveling the party, it rarely took but a few hits to steal aggro. So, to save myself the trauma, on anything light yellow and down in relation to my level, I opt to use white voodoo, still leaving me hitting a decent amount but without risking my survival and the survival of the party for a simple increase in speed.

Seriously, I would like to see what gear you are using, that you managed to pull aggro off everything.

Pulling aggro off a tank is, might I say foolish?

From what you have described, it seems every class pales in comparison to your almighty spammeable attacks.

The key word is spamming. You spam skills when you shouldn't be doing that. However, you went ahead to pull aggro off, knowing of your skills spamming induces lotsa aggro on the mobs.

If you are having the best gear for your lvl range, aggro management is a must especially for spammers.

You seem to have forgotten that though White reduces damage by blah blah blah, but you are still spamming skills.

I seriously wonder if you are a show-off on your gears and damage or you are just being trigger-happy.
  • f0xxya
    f0xxya Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Empowered Vigor - This skill reduces the amount of time it takes for your or your target's charm to tick again and also increases the healing benefits of the recepient of the spell. On the same timer as Diminished vigor, you become forced to choose between survival or killing when opting which of these skills to use in battle.
    Should not be on the same timer as Diminished vigor as one honestly has nothing to do with the other, though they are similar spells.
    Work also with heal of venomancer?
  • Rebutia - Harshlands
    Rebutia - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I am amazed that so many psychics do not understand torrent.
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Seriously, I would like to see what gear you are using, that you managed to pull aggro off everything.

Pulling aggro off a tank is, might I say foolish?

From what you have described, it seems every class pales in comparison to your almighty spammeable attacks.

The key word is spamming. You spam skills when you shouldn't be doing that. However, you went ahead to pull aggro off, knowing of your skills spamming induces lotsa aggro on the mobs.

If you are having the best gear for your lvl range, aggro management is a must especially for spammers.

You seem to have forgotten that though White reduces damage by blah blah blah, but you are still spamming skills.

I seriously wonder if you are a show-off on your gears and damage or you are just being trigger-happy.

The point wasn't that I always pull aggro right off, but that when I want to, and sometimes when I don't, I can. FF is sometimes utter hell for that reason, if the Barb and BM don't have alpha male, ouch. I'm a pure mag build using a +5 80 mold with 2 flawless, and have a +15 mag tome to compliment my damage. But no, not every class pales in comparison, etc etc.
    I am amazed that so many psychics do not understand torrent.

Oh great wise one, please grace us with your wisdom and mass of experience.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The point wasn't that I always pull aggro right off, but that when I want to, and sometimes when I don't, I can. FF is sometimes utter hell for that reason, if the Barb and BM don't have alpha male, ouch. I'm a pure mag build using a +5 80 mold with 2 flawless, and have a +15 mag tome to compliment my damage. But no, not every class pales in comparison, etc etc.

Now I see the how you could get such damageor even claims you can outdamage a Wizz.

That's alot of additions and may I say, you are rich?