Should I get a hercules?

Options
Lilanella - Heavens Tear
Lilanella - Heavens Tear Posts: 158 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Venomancer
As you can see by my avatar, I am a level 18 veno, and I'm planning on getting this char high. So I was thinking, instead of waiting to be a high level then having to level it, should I get a hercules pet now so it will be closer to my level? I can probably afford one if I sold either some of my fashion or my tideborn wings, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. So, should I get one now, or wait till im higher? Feedback is appreciated b:laugh

Edit: I don't think I'll have enough for a herc now, but I could save up.
Edit 2: I do NOT have enough for a herc right now, I am saving up though.
Post edited by Lilanella - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    As you can see by my avatar, I am a level 18 veno, and I'm planning on getting this char high. So I was thinking, instead of waiting to be a high level then having to level it, should I get a hercules pet now so it will be closer to my level? I can probably afford one if I sold either some of my fashion or my tideborn wings, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. So, should I get one now, or wait till im higher? Feedback is appreciated b:laugh

You will want one sooner or later. However, I really doubt you have enough for a hercules just by selling "some" fashion/wings. A hercules cost around 70m, which is way more than a **** load of fashion+wings+mounts combined.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Lilanella - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You will want one sooner or later. However, I really doubt you have enough for a hercules just by selling "some" fashion/wings. A hercules cost around 70m, which is way more than a **** load of fashion+wings+mounts combined.

Yeah...
    Oh I have another question:
    What's the difference between buying the actual herc and just buying the sof? Cause the sof is selling for about like 8 mil, which I might be able to afford.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It is not 8m. You are probably mistaking 8k per SoF for 8m for a hercules... You need 9999 SoF for a hercules. If you really think you can find 9999 SoF for only 8m, you must be dreaming. After you get 9999 SoF, you exchange it for a hercules ticket. You then right click the ticket, then hatch it for a hercules. Read a guide. You cannot actually "buy a hercules" just directly from someone.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It is not 8m. You are probably mistaking 8k per SoF for 8m for a hercules... You need 9999 SoF for a hercules. If you really think you can find 9999 SoF for only 8m, you must be dreaming. After you get 9999 SoF, you exchange it for a hercules ticket. You then right click the ticket, then hatch it for a hercules. Read a guide. You cannot actually "buy a hercules" just directly from someone.

Oh, I saw 1000 for 8 mil. Oops b:surrender
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Oh, I saw 1000 for 8 mil. Oops b:surrender

Yea... multiply that by 10 and you wont be looking so happy. b:chuckle 80m right there.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yea... multiply that by 10 and you wont be looking so happy. b:chuckle 80m right there.

Yeah.. I better start saving, or buy a lot of gold b:shocked
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    Shivalia - Lost City Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There was recently a sale on packs for the sof and nix feathers. I took advantage of that and of getting Christmas money from family. I spent about $120 live money to get a herc. And again, that was with a sale and luck by buying the packs.

If your biggest concern is leveling it up at a higher level, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you'd get to level 40 or so, you can get into The Cube and there is a room that you can literally level it to even level 70 in maybe 5 hours. Took me longer because I didn't do it continuously, so when I wasn't working on it, I was camping out with a cat shop in the middle of the room while I was afk. Get one whenever you like, but I wouldn't worry about leveling it. Its nothing. Nix is a whole different story there since you can't take it in the Cube. But that's for another topic.

If you can afford one somehow, go for it. b:surrender But don't get concerned about leveling it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There was recently a sale on packs for the sof and nix feathers. I took advantage of that and of getting Christmas money from family. I spent about $120 live money to get a herc. And again, that was with a sale and luck by buying the packs.

If your biggest concern is leveling it up at a higher level, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you'd get to level 40 or so, you can get into The Cube and there is a room that you can literally level it to even level 70 in maybe 5 hours. Took me longer because I didn't do it continuously, so when I wasn't working on it, I was camping out with a cat shop in the middle of the room while I was afk. Get one whenever you like, but I wouldn't worry about leveling it. Its nothing. Nix is a whole different story there since you can't take it in the Cube. But that's for another topic.

If you can afford one somehow, go for it. b:surrender But don't get concerned about leveling it.

Okay. Then maybe I'll just wait to get one until I'm higher. Thanks b:victory
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    Shivalia - Lost City Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Np. I sure do wish you luck. I do have a suggestion, though. This was my tactic before I actually just put the live money into it. While you're working along, I would suggest that when you can, if you see someone selling feathers or sof for 10k or lower, to buy it. Even save, say, 50k at a time once you reach it. Stick it in your bank until you come upon something and build up slowly that way. 10k is, in my opinion, even going over fair 'I want to buy' price. So its unlikely you won't get turned down by anyone selling unless they REALLY want their 15k per piece. There should be plenty others willing. Its a slow process, but once you get higher level and if you pick up all drops and sell, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle compared to if you didn't. At all. Good luck.b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
  • Dseductiveb - Sanctuary
    Dseductiveb - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    AAAAA seizurue time b:angry
    Mad_fat_kid.gif
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I would suggest that when you can, if you see someone selling feathers or sof for 10k or lower, to buy it.

10k per sof/pf would mean the gold price is 520k during non sales (50 silver per pack). This data is using the 26 average per pack information. Totally not worth it imo.

If gold is at 500k, during a sale of 40% off battle packs, SoF/Pf would cost about 5000 each.

Buying SoF/Pf for anywhere near 10k each is a totally rip off and bad advice.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Pre-calculated price conversions for cost of gold vs. individual SoF/feathers:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=465032

In general you are better off saving up coin to buy gold and getting the packs yourself. Occasionally I do see SoF/feathers sold in shops or AH at below-market price, but the vast majority are listed at above-market price.

Whether you choose to buy a few at a time or save up coin and buy all at once is up to you. If you don't feel you have the discipline to save money, then go ahead and buy a few SoF/feathers at a time.

If you do have the discipline, then I would just keep the money as cash (either coin or gold, or a mix of the two). Keeping the cash means you can take advantage of sales or good deals you happen to see. If PWE runs a sale on guardian scrolls, you can use your gold to buy those, then resell them later at a profit. If you happen to see a great deal on AH, you can use your coin to buy it for later resale.

It takes money to make money, and locking your money up in the form of SoF/feathers means you'll miss a lot of opportunities to make money. But you have to have the discipline not to spend it on unnecessary things. I usually carry a few mil around with me as general spending money which I can use on whatever I want, while I keep my long-term savings in the bank, account stash, or auctioneer.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Np. I sure do wish you luck. I do have a suggestion, though. This was my tactic before I actually just put the live money into it. While you're working along, I would suggest that when you can, if you see someone selling feathers or sof for 10k or lower, to buy it. Even save, say, 50k at a time once you reach it. Stick it in your bank until you come upon something and build up slowly that way. 10k is, in my opinion, even going over fair 'I want to buy' price. So its unlikely you won't get turned down by anyone selling unless they REALLY want their 15k per piece. There should be plenty others willing. Its a slow process, but once you get higher level and if you pick up all drops and sell, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle compared to if you didn't. At all. Good luck.b:victory

That's a good idea, because I can afford some sof or feathers, just not the entire thing. Thanks for the advice b:cute
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Pre-calculated price conversions for cost of gold vs. individual SoF/feathers:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=465032

In general you are better off saving up coin to buy gold and getting the packs yourself. Occasionally I do see SoF/feathers sold in shops or AH at below-market price, but the vast majority are listed at above-market price.

Whether you choose to buy a few at a time or save up coin and buy all at once is up to you. If you don't feel you have the discipline to save money, then go ahead and buy a few SoF/feathers at a time.

If you do have the discipline, then I would just keep the money as cash (either coin or gold, or a mix of the two). Keeping the cash means you can take advantage of sales or good deals you happen to see. If PWE runs a sale on guardian scrolls, you can use your gold to buy those, then resell them later at a profit. If you happen to see a great deal on AH, you can use your coin to buy it for later resale.

It takes money to make money, and locking your money up in the form of SoF/feathers means you'll miss a lot of opportunities to make money. But you have to have the discipline not to spend it on unnecessary things. I usually carry a few mil around with me as general spending money which I can use on whatever I want, while I keep my long-term savings in the bank, account stash, or auctioneer.

I'll probably buy it in little bits of a time, because I'm not so good at saving my coins b:chuckle
  • Ketki - Sanctuary
    Ketki - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    To answer your topic...yes get a hercules ASAP. It makes you feel powerful. :)

I've bought 6200 SoF in game for over 10 months. Then, I did a long PWI break and when I've returned I was decided to get the damn herc. I've spent 50$ in ZEN to get the rest 3800 SoF's. This is me just throwing a number, but I would say that a herc costs like 100$ ~ 150$. OR it costs 1 year of intensive Auctioneer search + grinding (bad for your back, eyes, **** muscles and every part of your body).

And note that prices are higher now...so good luck. b:victory
    Ketki - Sanctuary
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yeah.. I better start saving, or buy a lot of gold b:shocked

This would be the better way of doing it save up for the gold needed to get it through the cashshop.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • turdstealer
    turdstealer Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This would be the better way of doing it save up for the gold needed to get it through the cashshop.

That's what I did. Got relatively lucky, though, and got an average of 27.5 sources/feathers per pack (27.54768392 to be exact).
  • SupaRoyalty - Lost City
    SupaRoyalty - Lost City Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm a light armor veno. Does the herc REALLY help you farm for a nix? Or should I get a herc? THanks.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm a light armor veno. Does the herc REALLY help you farm for a nix? Or should I get a herc? THanks.

Yes it would especially if you TT enough getting the drop in there and selling them off.I am not sure about rebirth though being la or aa doesn't really matter.You could farm a higher lvl mob that gives out better drops as well.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Herc in rebirth lets you tank the bosses - although since you can't do the other barbarian job (rounding up the mobs in double wave) that's of limited use.

As for farming - yes. You can farm higher levels of TT much sooner, you can farm normal mobs more quickly.
    It isn't vastly faster, but it's faster.

Can't comment on LA - the vastly improved pdef is traded off against smaller pet heals (and less chance for HP) - I reckon the places that helps you is about equal to the places it hurts you.
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'll make a comment on the LA, since I am LA. I restatted to it at lvl 70. What made me restat was when i was aoe grinding (no herc) on seaweed thieves in sanctuary. In arcane, whenever i aggroed them, they hit me for 500, since going to LA and refining and sharding EQs they only hit me for 200 or less (in fox ofc :P) But, anyways back to the OPs topic: I would yes, start saving up and buying sofs now. But, dont rush it though. If you take your time, and just buy a little at a time, you can have your herc by lvl 60-70. probably not as soon as you like though. But, im saying dont rush it, because it's good to learn how to play your class and know how to control your pets (not just a herc) And trust me, you have yet to experience much veno tactics. (tactics of grinding, what your supposed to do in a squad, etc... ) As a matter of fact. I still don't have mine. I'm almost there, 3369 more sofs. I'll have it at lvl 80.
    >.<