Stealth, Awareness, and You.

Athena - Raging Tide
Athena - Raging Tide Posts: 98 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Assassin
Many assassins, as well as other classses, are curious as to how stealth works.
After my experiences with using and experimenting with stealth, I'm here to share with you my knowledge so far on this deadly assassin ability.

Let's start off by explaining what exactly your stealth and awareness level is by default. This is easy - your base stealth and awareness level is equal to your characters level. If you're level 30, your stealth and awareness levels are level 30 as well.

Now let's talk about skill effects.

Cat-like tread adds 2 to your stealth level each time it is leveled up. This means that at level 10, cat-like tread will add +20 to your stealth level. So if you're level 86, and you have maxed out Cat-Like tread, it will be impossible for anyone except for other assassins to see you while in stealth. How do I know this you ask? Simple math. 86 + 20 = 106. So you would have to be level 106 or above to be able to see the assassin in stealth... and we all know the level cap at the moment is 105. So it's impossible.

Sharp observer increases your awareness level the same way Cat-like tread increases stealth level. Just go back to what I said about Cat-like tread and this skill should be self explanatory. This skill allows assassins to seek out other assassins in stealth.

Now we'll talk about how stealth actually works.

We have two skills that allow us to enter stealth mode. Shadow walk, and shadow escape. These are two separate skills that affect stealth level individually. Each level of one of these skills adds +1 to your stealth level. For example, if you use a level 10 Shadow Walk to enter stealth mode, you would have +10 stealth level, but if you used a level 1 Shadow Escape to enter stealth mode, your stealth level would only be +1. So adding to cat-like tread, you can have a total stealth level of +30, meaning you can actually be level 76 and be invisible to everyone who doesn't have an increased awareness level. Leveling these skills also reduces the mana cost to use them.

Shadow walk is pretty basic - it allows you to enter stealth mode. While in stealth mode, you don't appear on anyone's screen who's awareness level is lower than your stealth level. At all. No text above your head, you don't appear in the squad window list thingy, and you're completely invisible. The only thing that would give you away is if you talk in general chat, but people still wouldn't be able to find you. Your words will only appear in the chat window. If your stealth level is lower than someone's awareness level, or if you're in someone's squad, they will be able to see you the same way you can still see your character on your own screen. You can remain in stealth as long as you can keep your mana from draining. The catch to shadow walk is, you can't use it while in combat... but that's why we have this skill -

Shadow escape is the same thing as shadow walk, except it has a 90 second cooldown, gives you 100 chi upon casting it (1 spark), and the best part - it can be used while in combat. This skill is deadly, in an indirect way. This skill allows assassins to regain the upper hand while in a fight. Or if you don't want to fight, it gives you the option of running away. If you use shadow escape while in the middle of a fight, it forces all the stealth rules to take effect. Anyone/thing that had you targeted now loses you, and they can no longer attack you (provided your stealth level is higher than your awareness level of course). Not only does this cause a major problem for your attacker, it also has a mental effect on them. Knowing that they can no longer attack you first, or even see where you are for that matter, can make anyone **** their pants. All the while you're laughing to yourself as you hide in the safety of the shadows. It allows you to stay focused, and makes others lose focus (unless they're pro and can handle the stress of not being able to see their attacker).

Now a little about how combat mode and stealth mode work together.

If you are in stealth mode, you will remain in stealth mode as long as you can keep your mana from being drained, and as long as you don't enter combat mode. How can you enter combat if you're in stealth mode? Doesn't that mean you'd have to be attacked? Well obviously you can still be attacked by someone/something that can still see you. Or an aoe hits you. Or, you enter combat mode yourself by initiating your own attack on something. The way combat mode and stealth mode work while you're casting shadow escape or shadow walk is different though. I believe there is a certain grace period during and after casting shadow walk/escape that if you're attacked, you will not be forced out of stealth. Otherwise casting shadow escape during a fight would be pointless because you'd probably be forced out of stealth again pretty quickly.

I think that pretty much sums up my knowledge about stealth mode so far.
Good luck to all you assassins out there.

Also, credit to Shade from the Raging Tide server for pointing out a common misconception about Shadow Walk/Escape I also had when first writing this mini guide. The level of these skills do indeed affect stealth level.
Post edited by Athena - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    thx,its very usefull for me because i cant test it until i cant return back to my home and now i dont must test it :)

b:victoryb:thanks
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    So in essence, you can even block other assassins your level from seeing you. If both you and the other assassin are level 90, and you both have maxed cat like thread and sharp observer, then his awareness level will be 110, and your stealth level will also be 110...but if the skill adds stealth level +10, then your stealth will now be 120, and his awareness level will still be at 110 with no way to increase it. Is that right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Athena - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    So in essence, you can even block other assassins your level from seeing you. If both you and the other assassin are level 90, and you both have maxed cat like thread and sharp observer, then his awareness level will be 110, and your stealth level will also be 110...but if the skill adds stealth level +10, then your stealth will now be 120, and his awareness level will still be at 110 with no way to increase it. Is that right?

That is correct.
    This is the reason why I didn't believe Shade at first, but I tested it myself, and it was true.

But apparently there are awareness pots available somewhere that will increase awareness level by 20. They aren't on the regular apothecary manufacturing list, so you probably need to be holding a high level territory to manufacture them.
  • Nagamorph - Harshlands
    Nagamorph - Harshlands Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I'd like to ask something, if u r flying, can others see ur "wings"? and the genie?b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shade - Raging Tide
    Shade - Raging Tide Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I'd like to ask something, if u r flying, can others see ur "wings"? and the genie?b:thanks

I know for a fact you can't see the wings, and I would ASSUME you can't see the genie, but I honestly don't know. The only way this could be useful to someone though is if there was something they could AoE near you, since even when stealthed you can get hit by AoEs, thus knocking you out of stealth.
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I know for a fact you can't see the wings, and I would ASSUME you can't see the genie, but I honestly don't know. The only way this could be useful to someone though is if there was something they could AoE near you, since even when stealthed you can get hit by AoEs, thus knocking you out of stealth.

only problem u cant do aoe without target :(
  • Shade - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    only problem u cant do aoe without target :(

Like I said "if there is something near by they can aoe" then it could be an issue.
  • Mizore_P - Sanctuary
    Mizore_P - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Here is a question.If lets say i have DoT on me and i shadow escape will it remove the DoT?
  • BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear
    BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    i guess that way we found a way around venos nix or herc......given that stealth works on pets as well what i believe it does. force stealth go behind the veno and bam....u have min. one spark after that so u can unleash pretty good skills.....bleed , sleep and so on^^
  • Shade - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    Here is a question.If lets say i have DoT on me and i shadow escape will it remove the DoT?

No, contrary to the skill description, shadow escape does not purify you, at least not of DoTs (haven't tested with other debuffs), however the damage from the DoT does NOT force you out of stealth
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    very useful. Cleared up some stuff i had about those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited December 2009

ecatomb site say y,if u want go to stealth mode i think u cant with bleed/poison on u because that mean u are still in attack mode.

Shadow Escape Level 1
    Mana 100
    Channel 0.7 seconds
    Cast 2.8 seconds
    Cooldown 90.0 seconds
    Weapon Daggers

Requisite Cultivation Aware of Harmony
    Force yourself into stealth. Dispel all negative status.

shade said no, and he tryed it i think:
    No, contrary to the skill description, shadow escape does not purify you, at least not of DoTs (haven't tested with other debuffs), however the damage from the DoT does NOT force you out of stealth

so shadow escape=shadow walk+forced stealth mode without purify if i understand.
    conclusion from that, u cant escape from nix bleed bug, with light armor you will die damn easily :(
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    ecatomb site say y,if u want go to stealth mode i think u cant with bleed/poison on u because that mean u are still in attack mode.

shade said no, and he tryed it i think:

so shadow escape=shadow walk+forced stealth mode without purify if i understand.
    conclusion from that, u cant escape from nix bleed bug, with light armor you will die damn easily :(

Shadow Escape lets you go into stealth even when you are in attack mode, but yes, it seems it won't help the bleeding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    tyvm shade for the info ^^
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have a question. if you are being attacked and you use Shadow Escape, will using pots or genie skills kick you out of stealth mode?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
    edited December 2009
    I have a question. if you are being attacked and you use Shadow Escape, will using pots or genie skills kick you out of stealth mode?

I dont think so?

cause you can even spark without breaking stealth
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    didnt test genie but using pots wont drop stealth.... it does leave a trail of red or blue sparkles tho >.>;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Shade - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    Alright so questions were raised about what skills throw you out of stealth, so I just went and tested it. It seems you can use any skill that affects just you (self buffs), including genie skills, however using an form of skill on an enemy, genie or otherwise, will unstealth you. Next time I'm in a party I will see if you can buff other people without losing stealth.
    edited December 2009
    didnt test genie but using pots wont drop stealth.... it does leave a trail of red or blue sparkles tho >.>;

lol... kind of an ominous sign when you see blue/red sparkles b:chuckle
  • DontBlink - Harshlands
    DontBlink - Harshlands Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Good guide! Lets not forget the unbelievable cost of spirit though so just worry about that catlike thread b:laugh
  • Shade - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    Well I was in a party today and checked to see if buffing others knocked you out of stealth, and at the very least bloodpaint doesn't unstealth you.
  • Athena - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    I'm gonna quote myself here to answer the question about what you can do while stealthed
    If you are in stealth mode, you will remain in stealth mode as long as you can keep your mana from being drained, and as long as you don't enter combat mode.
    You can do anything that doesn't put you in combat mode while in stealth, and no one else will see it. I have sparked and buffed myself fully while in stealth before attacking someone, and they never see it coming.
  • kaito777
    kaito777 Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    When ur in stealth and u use pots and the person sees where u r, can they click on u? o-o
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    Lusca - Sanctuary Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    kaito777 wrote: »
    When ur in stealth and u use pots and the person sees where u r, can they click on u? o-o

as far as i know, no they can't target you even if they know were you are

so there just the red/blue sparkles of doom >=o
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    okies um.
    say me has an assassin squad member with higher awareness then the other assassin.
    can me assist attack and see the other assassin?
    b:puzzled
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Athena - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    kaito777 wrote: »

b:sweat
    Let me make myself clear:
    NOTHING you do gives you away in stealth, except for entering combat mode. If you're in stealth, anything you do cannot be seen to anyone else unless they have an awareness level higher than your stealth level. You can spark/buff/pot/fly all you want while in stealth, and no one will know what you're doing.
  • Athena - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    okies um.
    say me has an assassin squad member with higher awareness then the other assassin.
    can me assist attack and see the other assassin?
    b:puzzled

Hello Hamsta.
    I think you mean if their awareness is higher than their stealth.
    And to answer your question, I don't really know tbh. But I have reason to highly doubt it.
    But once your assassin friend attacks the other assassin, their stealth mode will end, and you will be able to see them. So then you can pwn him :p
    edited December 2009
    Hello hamsta.
    I think you mean if their awareness is higher than their stealth.
    And to answer your question, I don't really know tbh. But I have reason to highly doubt it.

yesh me meant if me squad assassin's awareness was higher then teh enemies assassin's stealth. b:thanks

so....anyone want to run some tests?
    xD
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Athena - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    yesh me meant if me squad assassin's awareness was higher then teh enemies assassin's stealth. b:thanks

so....anyone want to run some tests?
    xD

I edited my answer a bit after realizing that your question had a simple solution.
    I doubt you can assist attack and target a stealthed sin you can't see on your own, because they simply disappear from the game from your character's point of view, to put it simply.
    But if your friend assassin attacked the other one, it would solve the issue of you not being able to see the assassin, because his stealth would end after being attacked.
    edited December 2009
    =( But it does matter since in group PvP fights/TW
    if the assassin in our squad can target the assassin just long enough for me (or some other ranged player) to target em.
    it would elp.
    ^.^
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]