Bows and stealth?

Options
Vitenka - Dreamweaver
Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Assassin
So, two stupid ideas.

One is working fine, one I've not tried yet.

Bows are just obvious. You've got the dex to do some real damage with them, and then switch off to daggers when things get close.

Anyone see any problem with this (apart from some of the best bows being archer-only)?

The second is - stealth is only out of combat, right? So you're getting full MP regen?
So how much magic would I need to spec to get around 5MP/s regen - I could add another 5 from gear easily, and having more magic will give me a larger pool to drain anyway.
Workable, or stupid?
Post edited by Vitenka - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Sithlus - Harshlands
    Sithlus - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Bows work well, I can generally get 3-4 hits in before mobs gets in melee range, and the damage is pretty much similar to my dagger damage.

The latter I don't know, it would work (eventually) but at the cost of valuable dex points. But I don't see anything wrong with trying it out. xD
  • DayzFade - Heavens Tear
    DayzFade - Heavens Tear Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Works really well, been using bow in and out since lvl 8. Easier kills, less hp pot spam
  • Jakob - Harshlands
    Jakob - Harshlands Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The second is - stealth is only out of combat, right? So you're getting full MP regen?
    So how much magic would I need to spec to get around 5MP/s regen - I could add another 5 from gear easily, and having more magic will give me a larger pool to drain anyway.
    Workable, or stupid?

Test it and let me know. That seems like a pretty good idea. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpiderBait_x - Lost City
    SpiderBait_x - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    So, two stupid ideas.

One is working fine, one I've not tried yet.

Bows are just obvious. You've got the dex to do some real damage with them, and then switch off to daggers when things get close.

Anyone see any problem with this (apart from some of the best bows being archer-only)?

I hav thought of a meybe better use for Bows for Assassin..

HH / BH and such.. some bosses do AoE and well assassin is close combat class
    So.. Keep a bow and arrows handy for when u hav to DD on AoE boss, 20m range, Dont know if thats far enough away but hopefully it will...
    Technically u wud do as much damage as a normal shottin archer bar the Passive skill damage increase archer has..
  • kokomoshi
    kokomoshi Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    except we dont get the bow skills an archer does, all of our skills require a dagger be equipt
  • Ballistixz - Heavens Tear
    Ballistixz - Heavens Tear Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    bows? nty... if i wanted to use bows i woulda made a archer. using bows on a sin defeats the entire purpose of making one in the first placeb:surrender imo no sin should use a bow since if there going to use one why not just make a archer =/
  • DragonsLord - Harshlands
    DragonsLord - Harshlands Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    bows? nty... if i wanted to use bows i woulda made a archer. using bows on a sin defeats the entire purpose of making one in the first placeb:surrender imo no sin should use a bow since if there going to use one why not just make a archer =/

Well I think your Stupid if u dont get a Bow

U bearly need any Str to ues a Bow and u can damage before the mob hits u( IF it not a Mag mob) but still It better then nothing
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Well I think your Stupid if u dont get a Bow

U bearly need any Str to ues a Bow and u can damage before the mob hits u( IF it not a Mag mob) but still It better then nothing

i think its because im not actually afraid of taking a little dmgb:surrender the mobs only hit me once or twice before they die anyway. dont underestimate daggers =/

again if i wanted to use a bow i would have made a archer. sins shouldnt use bows unless there THAT freaking afraid of taking a few hits. ive used dagger from lvl 1 and ive never died at all. ive been just fine and i actually kill the mobs FASTER with bleed+melee then i would with a bow.

but w/e its ur choice :s
  • YellowFin - Lost City
    YellowFin - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i think its because im not actually afraid of taking a little dmgb:surrender the mobs only hit me once or twice before they die anyway. dont underestimate daggers =/

again if i wanted to use a bow i would have made a archer. sins shouldnt use bows unless there THAT freaking afraid of taking a few hits. ive used dagger from lvl 1 and ive never died at all. ive been just fine and i actually kill the mobs FASTER with bleed+melee then i would with a bow.

but w/e its ur choice :s

lemme get this all lined up in my head
    a bow would get you some free damage before the monster attacked where you could then do your dagger stuff, while taking less hits and doing some extra damage aswell as save yourself some pocket change from the repair bills just by bying a bow and using the free arrows you get off monster drops

but you wount cuz your not afraid of taking hits cuz you used daggers at lvl 1 just like everyother sin out there

srry just sounds a bit lazy to me, "but w/e its ur choice :s"
  • kokomoshi
    kokomoshi Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    PW isn't a nice game that allows you to switch between gear easily, u double clicking teh bow and arrows, then the dagger and back while focusing on my skills if annoying
  • YellowFin - Lost City
    YellowFin - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    put the bow and the dagger in one of the F#'s -_-
    theres a monster :O
    pushed F7, poped on the bow shoots monster
    monster gets close
    pushed F8, poped on daggers
    kills monster

and arrows stay on like armor so you dont need a button for them :/
  • Matsuhara - Dreamweaver
    Matsuhara - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    this idea is good, but I have an archer already, using bow again with different class, no ty, and I use life powder I dont have to spam pots a lot.
    Actually, assassin have a skill called Rib Strike which is reduced target attack speed and have good damage, this skill help a lot.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    a bow would get you some free damage before the monster attacked where you could then do your dagger stuff, while taking less hits and doing some extra damage aswell as save yourself some pocket change from the repair bills just by bying a bow and using the free arrows you get off monster drops

but you wount cuz your not afraid of taking hits cuz you used daggers at lvl 1 just like everyother sin out there

its not just that... using a dagger is faster and alot more efficient then using bow. bleed+melee WILL kill faster then if u just melee with a bow. the only advantage using a bow brings is that u take less dmg. but it does nothing for ur dps compared to actually using ur own daggers and skills.

if u want to maximize ur dps then u shouldnt use a bow... it wont be as effective at all. like i said ppl only choose to do it so they take less hits from mobs. thats the only reason to use a bow.

but id rather kill the mobs faster rather then use a bow. like i said earlier i only get hit about 2 times when im killing a mob. (only get hit once if i use slip+bleed+sleep+slip combo but using that combo takes slightly longer to kill target then bleed+melee or slip+bleed+melee) i also have the genie skill that instantly heals my HP for 170 hp and a additiona 2% HP per genie str. that skill helps ALOOOOT i promise u that. saves u money on pots and keeps me at full health when fighting most of the time.

so honestly, u dont need to use a bow unless u just rly rly rly want to have the mobs hit u less... but in the end the mobs will get to u because bows dont kill fast enought and ull still get hit once or twice when mob reaches u. and i get hit about same ammount of times even without bow. so it actually doesnt help much and becomes gradually more useless the higher u get in lvls simply cuz daggers get even more effective the higher u get. dont forget they also have a skill that reduces atk speed of target which will also be VERY usefull in taking less dmg from mobs.

not to mention all the strong daggers u get from the quests like the legendary dagger mold soulreaper blade from the lvl 20 token quest if u managed to get. and if not u still have the lvl 20 supply stash daggers compared to using npc bows.

and i dont think i need to mention how SLOW they atk compared to daggers atk.
  • Falacer - Harshlands
    Falacer - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

well I agree with you...
    cept the last line says "srry sounds a bit lazy to me"

when inr eality he's not using bows so it can be HARDER so he has to work MORE to stay alive... sorta the opposite of lazy = working?
    Falacer Permitted ZZig into faction

Falacer: Welcome ZZig :D

ZZig has left the faction

Falacer: You biitch.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    srsly i wouldn't recommend u guys use bows =/ but w/e suits ur taste i cant stop u o-o
  • threepointone
    threepointone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    So, two stupid ideas.

Please don't start a thread with these four words put together as you have put them.
  • SpiderBait_x - Lost City
    SpiderBait_x - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Fair enough every1 is gettin worked up about this becuz u dont wanna use a bow against mobs.. and i prob wont against mobs either.. wait till u start doin Wyvern for BH and Cleric refuses to Blueball.. u can tank that damage from AoE soo.. just stand back with a bow..

thats all im goin to be usin a bow for, DD'n on an AoE boss..
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Oh yeah - I'm not saying use only a bow all the time - that really would be stupid.

I'm suggesting using one when the mob is a long way off, as the first (couple of) attacks.
    Hadn't thought about using it for avoiding aoe, but that's good too - although we won't have an archers range.

And... does no-one know how much magic you'd need? Because if it's something huge then obviously the second idea doesn't work.
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    Lusca - Sanctuary Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    well you need like what 10 magic to keep it above 2mp per second with the cleric wings?
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    "I hav thought of a meybe better use for Bows for Assassin..

HH / BH and such.. some bosses do AoE and well assassin is close combat class
    So.. Keep a bow and arrows handy for when u hav to DD on AoE boss, 20m range, Dont know if thats far enough away but hopefully it will...
    Technically u wud do as much damage as a normal shottin archer bar the Passive skill damage increase archer has.."

comment Bow is good at early levels but became less and less effective as you progress in game(even became suicidal idea). Why? :

1. Requires much more points wasted on STR
    2. Switching not always an option(especially when lag),sometimes you could kill mob during time that you switch
    3. Usage on bosses bad idea when most of them has average range of AoE 25m so 20m of bow won't keep you away. There are bosses which has extended Range of AoE such as SoulBunisher of TT(HH). Me was killed while being 53m away.
    4.Skills can't be used

b:bye
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    wnight wrote: »
    1. Requires much more points wasted on STR

LA needs more str than any bow does
  • Malley - Lost City
    Malley - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    its not just that... using a dagger is faster and alot more efficient then using bow. bleed+melee WILL kill faster then if u just melee with a bow. the only advantage using a bow brings is that u take less dmg. but it does nothing for ur dps compared to actually using ur own daggers and skills.

if u want to maximize ur dps then u shouldnt use a bow... it wont be as effective at all. like i said ppl only choose to do it so they take less hits from mobs. thats the only reason to use a bow.

but id rather kill the mobs faster rather then use a bow. like i said earlier i only get hit about 2 times when im killing a mob. (only get hit once if i use slip+bleed+sleep+slip combo but using that combo takes slightly longer to kill target then bleed+melee or slip+bleed+melee) i also have the genie skill that instantly heals my HP for 170 hp and a additiona 2% HP per genie str. that skill helps ALOOOOT i promise u that. saves u money on pots and keeps me at full health when fighting most of the time.

so honestly, u dont need to use a bow unless u just rly rly rly want to have the mobs hit u less... but in the end the mobs will get to u because bows dont kill fast enought and ull still get hit once or twice when mob reaches u. and i get hit about same ammount of times even without bow. so it actually doesnt help much and becomes gradually more useless the higher u get in lvls simply cuz daggers get even more effective the higher u get. dont forget they also have a skill that reduces atk speed of target which will also be VERY usefull in taking less dmg from mobs.

not to mention all the strong daggers u get from the quests like the legendary dagger mold soulreaper blade from the lvl 20 token quest if u managed to get. and if not u still have the lvl 20 supply stash daggers compared to using npc bows.

and i dont think i need to mention how SLOW they atk compared to daggers atk.

yes daggers have high dps no one is arguing with you there
    yes using a bow would lower your dps
    yes using a bow would save you a bit on your repair bill
    yes using a bow would save you some pots
    genie skills can heal and save some pots
    genie skills cost money in the long run mabye more then pots?
    mabye less then pots? no numbers to back it up
    yes bows are slow but they add free hits in while the monster closes the distance and if its all about attack speed you coulda gone fist bm?

like you and fin already said twice its all person prefrence no need to aruge
  • Malley - Lost City
    Malley - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    well I agree with you...
    cept the last line says "srry sounds a bit lazy to me"

when inr eality he's not using bows so it can be HARDER so he has to work MORE to stay alive... sorta the opposite of lazy = working?

two diffrent views of lazy

you think using a bow is lazy because you dont have to work as hard to get a kill

fin said its lazy because all he would have to do is buy a bow and use the free arrows from mob drops, then set up the buttons for switching?

your both right and wrong

and i think i covered everything kthxbye
  • LillyLane - Sanctuary
    LillyLane - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i dont know why you wouldn't use a bow. What if someone tries to run from you and your held in place by a freeze? do you just throw out that one ranged skill? or do you become an annoying nat that keeps chipping away at your opponents hp?

I have fought Fist Bm's (on my higher characters) that switch to bow.. and it is freakin annoying when you cant get far enough away to kite.
    Sure the dmg isnt big, but thats not the point.
  • sniperad
    sniperad Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Later in the game the mobs hit you harder and you take less damage if you use bow and then daggers (the mobs reachs you when he has 1/3 of his HP and not full HP)
    Is not the same one or two 200 damage hits or three-four 200 damage hits (if you only use daggers)
    You only have to see the videos in korren's post to see the sin with only daggers use a lot of pots.
  • zippylogic
    zippylogic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Everyone is focusing so hard on bows, that the second point, gathering enough mp regen to perma-stealth seems to be a bit ignored.

Has anyone tried and seen how effective the stealth is? as in up to what kind of monster will have an "awareness" level enough to detect past your stealth level?
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i dont know why you wouldn't use a bow. What if someone tries to run from you and your held in place by a freeze? do you just throw out that one ranged skill? or do you become an annoying nat that keeps chipping away at your opponents hp?

I have fought Fist Bm's (on my higher characters) that switch to bow.. and it is freakin annoying when you cant get far enough away to kite.
    Sure the dmg isnt big, but thats not the point.

we have a teleport skill u knowb:surrender and our force stealth skill remove status effects like that while giving us 100 chi AND making us invisible at the same time.
  • System
    System Posts: 312 mod
    edited December 2009
    Options
    @_@ Unless you have an archer past level 30, you won't understand how lame Assassin bow damage is compared to Archers. I think you could probably kill the mob faster if you opened with dagger throw or somthin @_@
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Bleed -> Freeze monster/player (now they can't move) -> Move out of their attack range -> Attack with bow while they're unable to fight back -> Switch to daggers once it can attack to finish it off

You have enough str from LA and enough dex from your weapons. You have free arrows from monsters. You may as well take advantage of it to deal the most damage you can while taking as little as possible.
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    using a bow before a mob gets to you only works on physical only mobs but later on nearly all mobs have BOTH a magic and physical attack