Is that much lagg normal?

Nightshadow - Heavens Tear
Nightshadow - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Support Desk
Hi, i know the expansion is causing lot of lagg this days but...that much?
serverlist.jpg

It makes completely impossible to play, at more than 3 sec ping.

Also i want to know if the server list shows the businnes of the server or just my ping to server.
Before the expansion i was having around 200ms ping so i think its not my connection.

Is everyone having that much lagg?
Post edited by Nightshadow - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    no that's not normal.
    b:shocked
    me am getting 31 ping to LC...and thats with 3 other games running.
    b:surrender
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nightshadow - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Hmm strange...just after posting this it came back to normal ping for me.
    Its been since the tideborn launch at 3000ms ping.

serverlist2jpg.jpg
    Now thats is in the average for me
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    zmog???
    150-200 be normal for you?
    b:shocked
    me only use that much when me need lag enhanced noob power
    (>.<)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nightshadow - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Yeah i always had the ping at that average, and i can play without any lagg at that ping. So whats the average ping i should have?

31 ms its a dream for me, the less i had was 75ms playing Halo xD

Playing from Spain btw at 3Mb speed connection.
  • Paer - Raging Tide
    Paer - Raging Tide Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    you're playing from spain and got a 1xxms ping. Jesus christ sign me up for that. I usually get 80ms+ and i'm sitting on the east coast...
  • Deliond - Heavens Tear
    Deliond - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I usually have between 10-30 myself, and I'm in Atlanta. It doesn't just depend on location but internet speed as well, both downstream and upstream alike. If you have a really fast downstream connection, but a slow upstream, that'll slow your ping time down massively; a 'ping' is an encrypted message sent from the client to the server (or one PC to another), and then back. You can get decent internet speed from even Comcast -- their lowest is now 12Mbps/2Mbps:d/u, and their highest, of course not being cheap, is 50Mbps/10Mbps:d/u.

Simply put, DSL isn't the best connection for gaming anymore. Granted, it's far better than dial-up, but there are still better and more cost-efficient plans now. :3
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    12Mbps/2Mbps:d/u, and their highest, of course not being cheap, is 50Mbps/10Mbps:d/u.

lol... PWI on crackb:dirty

my ping to DW at the moment is at about 15ms. that's not even with a package like that above. Thats with **** UL speed even (not even 1 Mb up). DSL beats cable connection hands down though when it comes to gaming. DSL gives a dedicated line vs. cable is a shared network. During peak times on cable, the "10 Mbps" you pay for is gonna be more like 3Mbps. (I've tested, trust me there). You go DSL and pay for 6 Mbps - you actually get 6 Mbps. Funnily enough, DSL gives better up speeds than cable does as well. Just sucks I'm on cable right now. should be switching to DSL soon though.

note that these tests were done during non-peak times. therefore the results don't show what I'm getting during peak time. Peak time my ping is about 3x that amount (at least for dreamweaver).
    657970995.png
    (test from recommended server)

657971962.png
    (test to west coast)

23r4wvc.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Deliond - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    DSL beats cable connection hands down though when it comes to gaming. DSL gives a dedicated line vs. cable is a shared network. During peak times on cable, the "10 Mbps" you pay for is gonna be more like 3Mbps. (I've tested, trust me there). You go DSL and pay for 6 Mbps - you actually get 6 Mbps. Funnily enough, DSL gives better up speeds than cable does as well. Just sucks I'm on cable right now. should be switching to DSL soon though.

Cable and DSL are both shared networks for your workgroup. My cable connection is only shared between my household, both LAN and Wireless networks alike, and I still get great connection speeds. My network consists of around 12 computers all connected to the internet simultaneously, and look here:

657992317.png

Not slowed down at all. Not to mention you need a standard phone line to have DSL. But, to each their own. I stand by my statement still.
  • Albacore - Dreamweaver
    Albacore - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    well of course you have a network inside your house. but with cable, you are on the same larger network as everyone in your neighborhood that has cable. the fact that you have a higher speed than me is because you are paying for a higher speed package, whereas we are paying for the basic package. You're speed will still suffer during peak times when others in your neighborhood are online. This is because those cable lines are shared, not dedicated. With a DSL package, youre getting a dedicated line.

check this site out for more info:
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dslvscablemodem/a/speedcompare.htm
  • Deliond - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    well of course you have a network inside your house. but with cable, you are on the same larger network as everyone in your neighborhood that has cable. the fact that you have a higher speed than me is because you are paying for a higher speed package, whereas we are paying for the basic package. You're speed will still suffer during peak times when others in your neighborhood are online. This is because those cable lines are shared, not dedicated. With a DSL package, youre getting a dedicated line.

check this site out for more info:
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dslvscablemodem/a/speedcompare.htm

Amusingly, I've run this test all the time and it never wavers. My best friend has Comcast as well, and our ISP addresses are completely different and we're not sharing a connection in any way. On top of that, I live in the fastest growing county in the state of Georgia, and I'm a mere 20-30 minutes away from Atlanta itself. Surely if my connection were as shared as people believe it is, it would be much lower from sharing it between thousands upon thousands of people.

Also, the site you linked said "While cable modem technology can theoretically support up to about 30 Mbps" and it's been shown that my connection marked over 30, even with it claiming it's a "shared" connection.

Yes, it is shared, but just as much as DSL. Just as much as Satellite broadband. They are all shared and they are all limited to certain things. Cable has it's advantages as does DSL -- namely, DSL is available in more places than Cable is -- but I still stand by my statement that cable internet is generally better because it supports much faster connections, 'shared' or not.

Also, just to say? We're only paying for a 16mbps plan, and the current minimum is 12mbps as I noted before, so we're not paying for a high-end plan, but we're getting far more than we pay for to say the least. Either way it doesn't matter.
  • Albacore - Dreamweaver
    Albacore - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Amusingly, I've run this test all the time and it never wavers. My best friend has Comcast as well, and our ISP addresses are completely different and we're not sharing a connection in any way. On top of that, I live in the fastest growing county in the state of Georgia, and I'm a mere 20-30 minutes away from Atlanta itself. Surely if my connection were as shared as people believe it is, it would be much lower from sharing it between thousands upon thousands of people.
    count yourself lucky then b:cute
    I can only speak from my own experience when my speeds later on today will drop to about 3 Mbps down. You may or may not have other people in the neighborhood that utilize much bandwidth, who is to say. But hey.. you have over 30 Mbps down, and 4 up... it would take a hell of a lot of usage to drop that number to what I've got. If you're happy with it and can afford it, keep it.
    Also, the site you linked said "While cable modem technology can theoretically support up to about 30 Mbps" and it's been shown that my connection marked over 30, even with it claiming it's a "shared" connection.

Yes, it is shared, but just as much as DSL. Just as much as Satellite broadband. They are all shared and they are all limited to certain things. Cable has it's advantages as does DSL -- namely, DSL is available in more places than Cable is -- but I still stand by my statement that cable internet is generally better because it supports much faster connections, 'shared' or not.

Cable's Network Neighborhood

Cable modem service uses a shared cable line to provide service to an entire neighborhood. Essentially, all cable customers in the region belong to the same local area network (LAN).

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dslvscablemodem/l/aa021101a.htm

DSL customers, on the other hand, each require their own line, and the provider incurs extra expense in managing each of these individually.
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dslvscablemodem/l/aa081901a.htm

therefore its not "just as shared". true all the internet is shared in a way. But I don't think you actually realize that you are infact on the same LAN (albeit with your own private network in your home) that your next door neighbors are on. Of course you don't have the same IP address as someone else does. If you did, one or the other (or both) would be having problems connecting. But I'm pretty sure your IP address is in the same subnet. If not.. then your friend isn't on the same network as you are.. but someone else surely is.
    Also, just to say? We're only paying for a 16mbps plan, and the current minimum is 12mbps as I noted before, so we're not paying for a high-end plan, but we're getting far more than we pay for to say the least. Either way it doesn't matter.

that doesn't surprise me really. I've had the same experience before myself. Paid for 5 Mbps service and would be able to get 10 Mbps at times.
  • Deliond - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Touche. I respect your standpoint and response, never had a better reply because I rarely encounter people with good intellect. :3 And as for subnets, there are only 4 possible option with my IP. But if you meant DNS, yes, that's highly probable considering we also use publicly traded DNS servers in addition to our Comcast provided ones. And don't we all love when we get more than we pay for. xD
This discussion has been closed.