Weapon Path Combinations

Options
keeneyes9
keeneyes9 Posts: 7 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Blademaster
Would having a character with Axe/hammer skills and Polearm skills be a good combination?
Post edited by keeneyes9 on

Comments

• Lu_ - Heavens Tear
    Lu_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It really all depends on what u want. I have a 30 BM, but he is fighting like a Barb. I will not goto a Pole unless something stronger comes out as in a weapon. The Hammer I am using is strong sure, but I am a Pike man. At level 25-30+, there just is no comparision to the hammers. Even if u made ur own. However, I have been doing very good carrying a hammer and a bow. I have a level 4 bow btw. If u can switch weapons quickly, this is an effective gameplan. It's all up to ur playing style.
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    Kedth - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yes it can work nicely. Pole has an extra AoE too so you can mix things up in AoE grind (ulti is another AoE but you will be using Axe ulti for that purpose, way better). Pole has more DEX than Axe so that will help you with your accuracy and crit too.

If you are into aggro holding 1vs1 (for example, tanking bosses and such), u might want upgrade Swords or Fists too tho. Better at DPS (in case of swords only single blades are faster, not dual blades) and with a higher hit ratio and crit.

If not, go Pole/Axe and have fun out there.

I hope it helps.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Depends on what level you are. I'd avoid doing more than one mastery until you hit 8x+. You won't have enough spirit points to max more than a few skills. I'd say max your most used skills on your primary weapon before moving to a secondary.

Right now I'm axe + fists. Thinking about swords for Myriad Sword Stance, but eh, no rush.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • keeneyes9
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Then at higher levels such as 8x is Axes/hammers still the most powerful weapon for PVE?
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    no that would be fists with stacked - interval
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • keeneyes9
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Then a Axe/hammer and Claw combination?
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    also known as the all weapon build

3 str 2 dex each level

youll have to dump some major coin into gear at 80+ to maintain your hp and i really do recomend split armor with maq ornaments if you want to survive magic attacks

imo its the 2nd most expensive build in pwi (HA AA veno takes the cake) due to the NEED for -int gear hp shards and high refines

oh and leveling 4 skill trees is a money and sp sink like you wouldent beleive

fun as hell to play though
  • infinitebluesky
    infinitebluesky Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have a question about multipath: right now i'm axe/hammer but late in the game i'm thinking about add polearms too.(maybe swrods as well)
    On ecatomb i saw the skills and i was thinking about this combination for pvp:

start whit your pole in hands (ehm...) and full sparks
    1)demon spark (demon is absolutly needed for this),+ 500% wep damage + 25% attck speed for 15 seconds and 3 sec of invincibility
    2)roar of the pride,stun 6 seconds and demon version never miss
    3)glacial spike- ton of damage, lower mag - phy def by 50% and demon have change 50% to do all critical for the next 5 seconds <---this is very important!!
    4)fast switch to axe whit the keyboard and use pot that give you 1 spark and 50 chi
    5)heaven's flame- another big damage and demon do another 100% damage in 9 seconds.
    6)if the opponent is still alive and try to take distance (archer,mage) switch to pole and "range" attack first whit drake's ray (12 meters radius) and than farstrike (18 meters radius whit demon),otherwise stay axe and try attack/stun lock
    7)all these skills have a max of 30 seconds of cooldown,so you can take busy the opponent whit stunning attack (using axe) while drink the pot that raise chi and sparks and than start again.

till the point 6 as i saw you can stay in the 6 seconds of roar of the pride (all passage are quite fast) but it is slowered by lag/slow connection.

what do you think? is anyone using this combo? is it good?

Planning to add some sword's skill too,but still don't know wich one.

my build is 3 str and vit till 50 vit and than all 3 str 2 dex.At the lvl 100 will be 300 str 160 dex and 50 vit.

thank you all
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Not gonna happen, even chi pots can't take care of that spark load.

Also, you're better off doing Heaven's Flame then Glacial Spike. Glacial would wear off before you get too many hits in, so you'd get guaranteed crits for 2 attacks. Seems a waste. I'd rather have X4 damage for roughly 4 secs of attack and get all that damage packed in tight. This is of course best when you're doing group PK, as you let someone else lock them in place for you. Finish off the target then move to the next.

Solo you'll be using 3 sparks for Drake's Bash and Heaven's Flame, and chi for Roar of the Pride. Getting Heaven's before Drake can be of benefit on lower health classes, since a serk crit doubled can 1 shot many. If not, you have 7 secs to kill them off in relative peace.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • infinitebluesky
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Not gonna happen, even chi pots can't take care of that spark load.

Also, you're better off doing Heaven's Flame then Glacial Spike. Glacial would wear off before you get too many hits in, so you'd get guaranteed crits for 2 attacks. Seems a waste. I'd rather have X4 damage for roughly 4 secs of attack and get all that damage packed in tight. This is of course best when you're doing group PK, as you let someone else lock them in place for you. Finish off the target then move to the next.

Solo you'll be using 3 sparks for Drake's Bash and Heaven's Flame, and chi for Roar of the Pride. Getting Heaven's before Drake can be of benefit on lower health classes, since a serk crit doubled can 1 shot many. If not, you have 7 secs to kill them off in relative peace.

So you advice me to stay axe/hammer and use roar of the pride +heaven's fame + drag's bash?
    If so,isn't better go sage to lower the chi use (roar just 10,drake chance to not use the spark,glacial spike possibility to use just 1 spark) and maybe able to use sage spark to have 500% wep damage (using the chi pot to recover at least 1 and 1/2 spark)
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have a question about multipath: right now i'm axe/hammer but late in the game i'm thinking about add polearms too.(maybe swrods as well)
    On ecatomb i saw the skills and i was thinking about this combination for pvp:

start whit your pole in hands (ehm...) and full sparks
    1)demon spark (demon is absolutly needed for this),+ 500% wep damage + 25% attck speed for 15 seconds and 3 sec of invincibility
    2)roar of the pride,stun 6 seconds and demon version never miss
    3)glacial spike- ton of damage, lower mag - phy def by 50% and demon have change 50% to do all critical for the next 5 seconds <---this is very important!!
    4)fast switch to axe whit the keyboard and use pot that give you 1 spark and 50 chi
    5)heaven's flame- another big damage and demon do another 100% damage in 9 seconds.
    6)if the opponent is still alive and try to take distance (archer,mage) switch to pole and "range" attack first whit drake's ray (12 meters radius) and than farstrike (18 meters radius whit demon),otherwise stay axe and try attack/stun lock
    7)all these skills have a max of 30 seconds of cooldown,so you can take busy the opponent whit stunning attack (using axe) while drink the pot that raise chi and sparks and than start again.

till the point 6 as i saw you can stay in the 6 seconds of roar of the pride (all passage are quite fast) but it is slowered by lag/slow connection.

what do you think? is anyone using this combo? is it good?

Planning to add some sword's skill too,but still don't know wich one.

my build is 3 str and vit till 50 vit and than all 3 str 2 dex.At the lvl 100 will be 300 str 160 dex and 50 vit.

thank you all

you're assuming the target is noob. and... you don't need that effort to kill a noob, right?

I'll give 3 examples:

if the other side is a veno: while you use your demon spark the veno will be failing the first pet skill on you, probably pounce (it stuns), while using either anti stun apothecary potion or genie skill. meanwhile she'll purge you so all your positive buffs (including the ones granted by sparks) will be gone. the following skills are flesh ream (pet skill) and either befuddling mist (70% accuracy decrease curse) or lucky scarab (stun). checkmate.

if the other side is a wizzy: while you use your demon spark the wizard gains enough time to kite away. while you rush back to the wizard you'll be already debuffed and the wizard will hit you with sleep before you get close enough to hit. that's enough time for the wiz to take your hp near half then seal you and cast blade tempest. checkmate.

if the other side is a cleric: while you use your demon spark, the cleric moves away. after that, cleric casts chromatic seal to sleep you. then cleric casts 1 debuff and then sage/demon spark. checkmate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Crazy_Panda - Dreamweaver
    Crazy_Panda - Dreamweaver Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    you're assuming the target is noob. and... you don't need that effort to kill a noob, right?

I'll give 3 examples:

if the other side is a veno: while you use your demon spark the veno will be failing the first pet skill on you, probably pounce (it stuns), while using either anti stun apothecary potion or genie skill. meanwhile she'll purge you so all your positive buffs (including the ones granted by sparks) will be gone. the following skills are flesh ream (pet skill) and either befuddling mist (70% accuracy decrease curse) or lucky scarab (stun). checkmate.

if the other side is a wizzy: while you use your demon spark the wizard gains enough time to kite away. while you rush back to the wizard you'll be already debuffed and the wizard will hit you with sleep before you get close enough to hit. that's enough time for the wiz to take your hp near half then seal you and cast blade tempest. checkmate.

if the other side is a cleric: while you use your demon spark, the cleric moves away. after that, cleric casts chromatic seal to sleep you. then cleric casts 1 debuff and then sage/demon spark. checkmate.

CHESS???!?!?!?!?!?b:shocked
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    So you advice me to stay axe/hammer and use roar of the pride +heaven's fame + drag's bash?
    If so,isn't better go sage to lower the chi use (roar just 10,drake chance to not use the spark,glacial spike possibility to use just 1 spark) and maybe able to use sage spark to have 500% wep damage (using the chi pot to recover at least 1 and 1/2 spark)

Axe for the skills that need it. The order is more or less pre-ordained by the nature of the stuns. You want the Drake's Bash as close to or during a charm recharge as possible; same with Heaven's Flame. Because they deal damage, RotP does not. If you roar during a charm recharge, you've just wasted at least 20% of your damage window to kill someone. So, Roar goes before Drake's. Also, by comboing Heaven's to Drake's, you can do a 2 skill combo to remove the aftercast of Heaven's. You also have less weapon swapping, both of which speed your kill.

Also, if the stun fails due to their skill/genie skill, it's better to waste 35 chi instead of 1 spark. The only time to lead with Drake's, is for a kiter with speed boosts. They can run out of Roar's range and waste your chi, skill, and leave you standing there in final cast until cancelled. Drake's will not do that, if it hits it works; if it doesn't, you just chase them around. No wasted chi though.

To keep a stun lock going with Heaven's, you will need to use fists after hitting Drake's to build chi back up and have a buffer amount. Will need -interval as well, to make the most of things.

There are many other combos, some relying on a chance for even higher spike, some to make it easier to later spike, some to just prevent someone from being useful. Having all weapons means you can change roles as needed, but axe and fist are one of the best combos for damage, stun, and chi gain to keep stun lock going.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

• infinitebluesky
    edited November 2009
    Options
    @King_solom:thanks for the explain.So is better use the spark after the stun,this change many things...

@Telarith:How can you use axe and fists?The agi needed for the fist is too high,at the lvl 100 i planned to reach 160,good for lvl 80 fist and no more...
    once again,if save chi/sparks are not so important than will be good back on the demon path,at least it give a more aggressive style whit more crit % = whit a little luck more damage
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    3 str 2 dex is the all weapon, DPS build. You can use any weapon at level without hinderance, but need refined gear with health shards to make up for 0 vit. Misty Rings, and legendary armor in your 7X range will help out in this alot; people tend to sell the legendary armor for cheaper than the refines and shards are worth. So use it till you out-level it, then sell it. It is more like making an investment, instead of spending tons of TT mats for armor that is harder to sell. And the rings give you vit, which helps.

• infinitebluesky
    edited November 2009
    Options
    3 str 2 dex is the all weapon, DPS build. You can use any weapon at level without hinderance, but need refined gear with health shards to make up for 0 vit. Misty Rings, and legendary armor in your 7X range will help out in this alot; people tend to sell the legendary armor for cheaper than the refines and shards are worth. So use it till you out-level it, then sell it. It is more like making an investment, instead of spending tons of TT mats for armor that is harder to sell. And the rings give you vit, which helps.

I have a bm lvl 44 whit 50 vit (it was my progranned cap), now to follow this new build i must create a new chapter...is it really worth? (i don't think i'll buy a restat)
    i was watching the skill of the fist,but i don't anyone good...don't misurandestand me,a lot are good,but to me axe are better (more stun and damage,fist look like a magic counter),what's the point to use it vs a barb or another bm?
    In the end the path to follow,sage or demon(demon is more aggressive but sage look better to me,have chance to save you sparks and the strongests skills use it so that may mean more strongests attack)? thank you
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    the fist maq counter is realy only good for pve

fist + axe stunlock

or just 3x spark with - interval gear stacked

either the other barb/bm will run and you laugh

or they try to tank it and dieb:chuckle
  • infinitebluesky
    edited November 2009
    Options
    the fist maq counter is realy only good for pve

fist + axe stunlock

or just 3x spark with - interval gear stacked

either the other barb/bm will run and you laugh

or they try to tank it and dieb:chuckle

From what you say the bm axe/fist look like the stronger in the game,but need tons of money/spirit...
    what skill you advice to raise and max?(i think that max all skills is almost impossbile) the most used strategy? (just to have an idea)
    thanks you
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    keeneyes9 wrote: »
    Then at higher levels such as 8x is Axes/hammers still the most powerful weapon for PVE?

That's question is interesting.

No weapon is really superior to another overall.

Axes can AoE grind. This is awesome at any level you can pull it off on.

Fists can really lay out some damage on a single target with reliability and it adds up very fast.

I can go on about both these two weapons and spear and sword but I won't.

The most powerful BM at 80 + is the one who has the ability to use a few weapon paths very well.

I am a axe(GX)/fist(Gorenox Vanity)/sword(Brahma's Lash)/spear user(I forget it sucks anyways, need to get my new one. XD) user. I find the BM to be very fun and frustrating to play (Getting a great weapon for each path isn't exactly easy) But it is nice to be ready for just about any situation that arises. xD
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sewagerat - Lost City
    Sewagerat - Lost City Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I haven't read most of the posts but I'll post my ideas.

At a high level (90+) you got to consider how important the weapons zerk is. Because you might have a gx spear but normal axes (expensive to have 2 gx's unless you cash shop blah blah blah), then you have to think whether you should try and get a zerked glacial spike or switch to axes for the heavens flame.

Spear has good ranged skills so its good for people running towards you or away from you :) (combo looking like this or from back to start: Smack --> farstrike --> drakes ray)

I am going to be a gx spear user so I will inform you how that goes soon :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:shocked OMG HERB!!!!!!
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    ZoanoAce - Lost City Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    This build is exactly what I had in mind for my BM^^. He's lvl 30 now with 30 Vit, 90 Str, 40 Dex and 5 Mag. I've already chosen the Axe/Hammer path to be his main path, with poles being his second path(will add swords when he has enough spirit and coins). Since I've done the math, by lvl 60, he would have 30 Vit, 180 Str, 100 Dex and 5 Mag. With just an additional +2 Str, he can wield the HH 60 Axes, Spear and Sword all togther :).

For skills now, I'll lvl the Axe/Hammer mastery the most, Polearm mastery gradually and Blade & Sword mastery left at lvl 1. All Axe/Hammer skills will be lvld the most, then Polearm skills and all Swords will be left at lvl 1( just want to get Myriad Sword Stance).

What I'd want to know in terms of this build, can I change it after like 7x to 3 Str, 1 Dex and 1 Vit every lvl?(since I wouldnt have as much refined gear and Shards as I should, which would be hard for me to get)
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

End of lvling, starting of the unimaginableb:laughb:victoryb:coolb:cool
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    This build is exactly what I had in mind for my BM^^. He's lvl 30 now with 30 Vit, 90 Str, 40 Dex and 5 Mag. I've already chosen the Axe/Hammer path to be his main path, with poles being his second path(will add swords when he has enough spirit and coins). Since I've done the math, by lvl 60, he would have 30 Vit, 180 Str, 100 Dex and 5 Mag. With just an additional +2 Str, he can wield the HH 60 Axes, Spear and Sword all togther :).

For skills now, I'll lvl the Axe/Hammer mastery the most, Polearm mastery gradually and Blade & Sword mastery left at lvl 1. All Axe/Hammer skills will be lvld the most, then Polearm skills and all Swords will be left at lvl 1( just want to get Myriad Sword Stance).

What I'd want to know in terms of this build, can I change it after like 7x to 3 Str, 1 Dex and 1 Vit every lvl?(since I wouldnt have as much refined gear and Shards as I should, which would be hard for me to get)

For myself, I can't see the point weakening myself that much. Even with 2 socket all, health sharded gear I have almost 6k health just doing non-orb refinement for +3 armor. That gives enough health for my purposes, and if needed it is possible to add sockets and more gems for extra health.

But losing fists would be too much of a weakening of my character. Recently did a 3 BM run of Eden BH after a BH79. 79 I tanked, only problem is everyone ignoring the wait for attacks to hit before attacking. Once I hit for 2 seconds, I kept aggro the whole time though.

The lvl 95 BM with a +6 lunar serk spear wanted to tank Phlebo. Lost aggro 3 times to the wiz, so I said I'm taking aggro and demon sparked. After that, never lost aggro to anyone else. And when fists can hold aggro from a Lunar serk spear and wizards, should be an indication of how much more damaging the fist path is over spears.

People have a hard time getting past the seemingly low damage of fists, but when done properly you'll be doing a minimum of X2 damage of other weapons or classes in 9X range. Ignoring that on your BM is not a good idea, unless there is a specific role you have in mind that would not allow it.

• ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    For myself, I can't see the point weakening myself that much. Even with 2 socket all, health sharded gear I have almost 6k health just doing non-orb refinement for +3 armor. That gives enough health for my purposes, and if needed it is possible to add sockets and more gems for extra health.

But losing fists would be too much of a weakening of my character. Recently did a 3 BM run of Eden BH after a BH79. 79 I tanked, only problem is everyone ignoring the wait for attacks to hit before attacking. Once I hit for 2 seconds, I kept aggro the whole time though.

The lvl 95 BM with a +6 lunar serk spear wanted to tank Phlebo. Lost aggro 3 times to the wiz, so I said I'm taking aggro and demon sparked. After that, never lost aggro to anyone else. And when fists can hold aggro from a Lunar serk spear and wizards, should be an indication of how much more damaging the fist path is over spears.

People have a hard time getting past the seemingly low damage of fists, but when done properly you'll be doing a minimum of X2 damage of other weapons or classes in 9X range. Ignoring that on your BM is not a good idea, unless there is a specific role you have in mind that would not allow it.
    I didnt actually say I would never use fist weapons or get that tree of skills, just that I would not add it in full complement as I have done with the other weapon paths. I failedc to mention that at about 6x, I would ensure to get the 1st 2 fist skills so tha I can use Shadowless Kick on those magic mobs that would be in great excess in the following lvls.(I remember so well...the Swamp was literally swamped with them O_O)

I personally have nothing against fist/claw type weapon, I know how great they are in terms of aggro holding capabilities, tanking and dmg. I never minded them having the lowest spike dmg cuz they make up for it by having the highest attack rate which is a pain the *** for caster classesb:chuckle So basically fist are an option at later lvls like 8x since fist/claws have some of the best weapon abilities out of the 4 types of weapons(Mana and HP recoveryb:laugh). Also, I'd try to get Cyclone Heel for sure, Drake's Breath Bash(If you recomend it) and definitely Bolt of Tyreseus.
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

• Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I didnt actually say I would never use fist weapons or get that tree of skills, just that I would not add it in full complement as I have done with the other weapon paths. I failedc to mention that at about 6x, I would ensure to get the 1st 2 fist skills so tha I can use Shadowless Kick on those magic mobs that would be in great excess in the following lvls.(I remember so well...the Swamp was literally swamped with them O_O)

I personally have nothing against fist/claw type weapon, I know how great they are in terms of aggro holding capabilities, tanking and dmg. I never minded them having the lowest spike dmg cuz they make up for it by having the highest attack rate which is a pain the *** for caster classesb:chuckle So basically fist are an option at later lvls like 8x since fist/claws have some of the best weapon abilities out of the 4 types of weapons(Mana and HP recoveryb:laugh). Also, I'd try to get Cyclone Heel for sure, Drake's Breath Bash(If you recomend it) and definitely Bolt of Tyreseus.

If you change the build path to have 1 dex every level, is where it would gimp you on the fists. Fists need 2 dex per level to equip latest one, and the lvl 85 and 95 ones are currently the best you can get. That's what the fist comment was about.

Drake's Breath is kinda crappy, only way I can see it working is if on HA where you want extra damage without taking time out for sparking. Also, shouldn't cause people to run as much. Would rather weapon swap after using another classes 59 instead though. Cyclone Heel isn't that great until later on, early use you pretty much lower your damage using it, but shorten the duration it takes to land. So would be good for starting, if you weren't using shadowless.

The weapon path ones are pretty much the one we all followed as well. Axes for AoE grinding or rebirth, fist and axe mastery for the two main types of killing. 59s of Myriad and Heaven's take on priority once you get those, with sword mastery coming in after. Spear 59 really isn't that great unless combined with tangling, and even then only on mobs, since the protection buffs kinda kill its special ability.

• ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If you change the build path to have 1 dex every level, is where it would gimp you on the fists. Fists need 2 dex per level to equip latest one, and the lvl 85 and 95 ones are currently the best you can get. That's what the fist comment was about.

Drake's Breath is kinda crappy, only way I can see it working is if on HA where you want extra damage without taking time out for sparking. Also, shouldn't cause people to run as much. Would rather weapon swap after using another classes 59 instead though. Cyclone Heel isn't that great until later on, early use you pretty much lower your damage using it, but shorten the duration it takes to land. So would be good for starting, if you weren't using shadowless.

The weapon path ones are pretty much the one we all followed as well. Axes for AoE grinding or rebirth, fist and axe mastery for the two main types of killing. 59s of Myriad and Heaven's take on priority once you get those, with sword mastery coming in after. Spear 59 really isn't that great unless combined with tangling, and even then only on mobs, since the protection buffs kinda kill its special ability.
    Awesome, in that case I'll keep the 3:2 build and follow your advice. That's pretty much all I needed to clear up with him, thank you kindly Telab:thanksb:cute