Keep Aggro with Pet

teraphilim
teraphilim Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Venomancer
Hi,

I'm a full mag Veno, I often pull aggro from my Golem and have to slow down my attacks to avoid that, especially on ranged physical mobs.

I read here: http://www.ecatomb.net/petskill.php there is a skill named Roar. It's description says "Roar to attract enemy's attacks."

Sounds like an aggro skill, but when I asked ingame, I was told there is no aggro pet skill. So what does that skill do, anyone tried it?

TYVM for answers
Post edited by teraphilim on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Ok - all pet skills generate aggro.
    To answer the question you really want: You need to level up bash, or buy (and use) another bash-like skill on the golem, to hold aggro.

(This does cost a chunk of coin, it may be better for you to hold off on doing this until you're certain this is an end-game pet for you)

To answer the question that you asked:
    Roar is kinda special. It resets the monsters hate list and then puts the pet on top with a fairly small amount of hate. This means that the monster WILL attack the pet next but is very very easy for any attack to pull it off of the pet again.
    It's useful to save clerics, and to pacify adds (that no-one is attacking).
    It deals no damage, it is a pure aggro skill.

However - unlike roar for barbs - it is NOT an AOE skill. There are no pet aoe skills currently.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Roar works fine to steal aggro back from one mob, just remember that you should stop attacking before using it. It has "chance" to steal aggro back, higher level skill has bigger chance. So if you continue to attack the mob, then he might ignore your roaring pet and continue to attack you.

Works really nice and I was even able to steal aggro back from Wizard with it without any problems. Nice investment in pet, if you plan to have it only for a while.
  • teraphilim
    teraphilim Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Roar works fine to steal aggro back from one mob, just remember that you should stop attacking before using it.

I guess its a good idea to have in my case, I often try to run/jump in circles to avoid attacks until the pet has aggro back. That speeds it up alot.
    It resets the monsters hate list and then puts the pet on top with a fairly small amount of hate.

Wow thats perfectly what I wanted to know.

I should also think about upgrading Bash, I have a Volcanic, so it has only Level 1.

TYVM both of you, helped me alot.
  • aramua
    aramua Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I gave my Kowlin roar...wouldn't be able to live without it for him. XD Gave my snow hare roar as well, but since I never did level up roar, I don't think I am going to start to either with my bunny's. >_<
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Curses: Amp Damage, Myriad Rainbow, Ironwood
    Avoid: Lucky Scarab -unless you kill before it gets to you

Heal while sending pet rather than after finishing mob. This delays your attack, and saves time.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    teraphilim wrote: »
    I should also think about upgrading Bash, I have a Volcanic, so it has only Level 1.
    Upgrading Bash will help a little. Manually firing Sandblow will help a lot. Roar is really more for emergencies.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=259391
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Avoid: Lucky Scarab - unless you kill before it gets to you

Heal while sending pet rather than after finishing mob. This delays your attack, and saves time.

I'll add my own "me too" to those. Lucky generates WAY more aggro than the damage it does - monsters reallllly hate being stunned.

If you're using lucky to generate chi, then burning scarab is a good alternative.

And healing whilst the pet goes in is great, though risky - if the heal lands after the monster aggro's but before your pet hits it then you're in for a world of hurt.

Other than that, if you've upgraded your pets skills (and you're firing all of their attack skills) then all I can say is "Don't attack yet", just like waiting for a barb to gather some aggro, a little delay makes everything smoother.
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Since nobody mentioned them by name specifically, I'll chip in that the six "elemental bashes" are:

- Sandblow (Earth)
    - Icicle (Water)
    - Fireball (Fire)
    - Thunderbolt (Metal)
    - Toxic Mist (Wood)

Each is identical to Bash in terms of properties and enmity generated, but are elemental damage whereas Bash is physical. (pretty sure this is correct at least...)

I'll also note that it's usually far better to camp out the auction house to buy your pet skills than to buy them from Mrs. Zoologist. Prices tend to be much, much lower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]