Actual or Written

Pressa - Heavens Tear
Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
b:surrender okay so little ol' Pressa been wonderin this for awhile, Equips simple topic till you look at your actual attack.
Equip says you get for example 800 attack but your magic attack ends up actually like 6k but you do 10k damage with 100% return spells + your average venomancer 2k.
b:shocked Something wrong with my math here how is that possible......Pressa is very confused how the text can be so off and that magic attack is adding things like rings that add 70-90 attack round about don't care precisely. So which is right the weapon the your actual attack or your damage.

b:kiss Pressa would love to know cause Pressa been trying to figure such a thing out with no luck.

(Yush I like how I speak shush you, Yush I like third person shush you , @_@ Yush Pressa is very confused now.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Pressa - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Lightaine - Dreamweaver
    Lightaine - Dreamweaver Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Well magic attack goes off of more than equips, it goes off of Magic stat points. I'm not sure how exactly, but I can answer the next part.

Your skills go by % of magic attack plus XXX wood damage or whatever plus weapon attack.
    hai2u
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    b:sweat uh dur I know silly all of that is even in my post I am saying how the hell can I do 10k damage if my magic attack is 6k and the add-on is 2k and the magic % is 100 even if I am going thru resists. I thoughts for a long time adding a 0 to the magic attack is the actual but that still doesn't work because what about rings and other things and what about the written magic attack on the sheet.

No this don't add up at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    No this don't add up at all.

It's Magic.

~Saitada
  • matthias1132
    matthias1132 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    The amount of damage you do also depends on the mag def of the mob u r fighting. If ur fighting something lower than u, those mobs will have less mag def (or def period) and u will do more damage.
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited November 2009

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    b:cold okay no offense people but thats really not even remotely similar to what I asked read the dam post don't just skim. Pressa hates skimmers I don't want how much damage I do to a mob or how I figure it out. Pressa wants to know how 800 weapon attack becomes 6k and don't say my points in magic cause Pressa is going to give you a swift kick if you do cause you ain't reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MissEbil - Heavens Tear
    MissEbil - Heavens Tear Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I get what you're saying here, cos I've seen it too.
    No answer for you but yeah, why do I do 10k damage when my stats say magic attack max is 6k... b:puzzled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud member of the VenoMafia.

b:flower Read my FanFic! b:flower
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=334222
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    b:cold okay no offense people but thats really not even remotely similar to what I asked read the dam post don't just skim. Pressa hates skimmers I don't want how much damage I do to a mob or how I figure it out. Pressa wants to know how 800 weapon attack becomes 6k and don't say my points in magic cause Pressa is going to give you a swift kick if you do cause you ain't reading.

There is a formula that shows why.
    Your mag attack is not calculated as simple as mag.attack+bonus.
    It has many factors, your mag points, your mag.attack, your skill, your lv (shot me if i remember it all).
    Any ways, try using search it was explained once before.
    b:dirty
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I tried to read the whole thing but got confused with all the Pressas. What do you mean you equipped a simple topic o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    me can elp. me think. b:puzzled
    b:sweat
    teh damage you do is multiplied me by some sort of factor based on your magic attack (which be based on your stats in magic) o.O.
    me don't know exactly what it's being raised/multiplied to (mayhaps it be exponential)
    but this be the reason why wizards decide to go arcane at high levels. Because we just hit that much harder. (^.^)

so aye the number you see doesn't actually mean how much damage you will do.
    (^.^)'
    it be just a base which gets increased. d(^.-d)

yar with um 725 magic attack (when me take off me weapon) me do around 2.5k damage to low level mobs with a level 1 crown of fire. (it says it does damage equal to base magic attack and um 725 =\= 2.5k.) (>.<)'
    o.o'
    also me has 342 points in magic.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    b:surrender Pressa = I just like Pressa more cause third person is the win little bit of punctuation would but I have never been a English major so meh. Equips are a simple topic I was stating its more complicated to think how 800 damage becomes 6k and that with a skill that says it does 100% of weapon damage +2k hits for 10k even thru resists. Thats the befuddling part b:sad Nelle you is mean I searched magic attack and got 20 pages of topics mind tellin me about how long ago this was discussed so I can narrow my search to maybe 6 pages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited November 2009

You can't answer the question with this stipulation.

Figuring out how much damage you do to a mob is how you figure out your answer.

Its a equation. The answer is already in this thread.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Explain AdvanceZero b:angry if you know something tell Pressa I already know it goes thru resists and how to figure out exactly how much damage imma do. @_@

What I want to know is how much a weapon or say a ring contributes to said attack not how much damage it will do cause the number I got from that with said things was like 1500 at 2k defense pretty average defense for mobs at my level persay and that is not the 10k that I am getting at all. So no its not here please eleborate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Zero pressa wants teh exact formula so she can plug in her numbers and see how much she going to do. b:surrender
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Oh, well... I'm a BM. I don't have the magic attack formula just the one for BM's....

I would suggest searching through specific forums or with certain key words.

magic attack formula in the wizard/cleric/veno forums separately.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    First I apologize for the double post.

Second and this isn't helpful to you at all...but...

Physical Damage Formula:

1 + ((2/3 Str)/100) + Mastery (60% would be .6) * (LVL + Phys Attk)
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Explain AdvanceZero b:angry if you know something tell Pressa I already know it goes thru resists and how to figure out exactly how much damage imma do. @_@

What I want to know is how much a weapon or say a ring contributes to said attack not how much damage it will do cause the number I got from that with said things was like 1500 at 2k defense pretty average defense for mobs at my level persay and that is not the 10k that I am getting at all. So no its not here please eleborate.
    I GOT IT!

Damage=A.
    A=Damage you do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
    edited November 2009
    First I apologize for the double post.

Second and this isn't helpful to you at all...but...

Physical Damage Formula:

1 + ((2/3 Str)/100) + Mastery (60% would be .6) * (LVL + Phys Attk)

ooo nice
    that be slightly helpful actually. (o.O)'
    assume the devs are human, then they probably code damage calculations in similar if not the same way with magic attack.
    and being exponential would make sense too. (O.o)'
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    but its the same for BMs too how can a weapon with 800 attack yield hits so much higher thats what I am talking about do I have to get a picture of a weapon and circle what I want to know for you to get it. I want to know how much is each point on a magic/phys attack bonus or weapon give to the overall total attack or is it irrelevant and doesn't go on the magic attack there and on something else.

Say for instance +14 magic attack on a ring how much does that contribute to your actual attack on the monster. It can't be 14 or it would be absolutely useless why wear a ring then. I have tried experiments on private servers in which you can obtain rings with +250 attack add on it jumps my attack 2k roughly or seems to but that still isn't right because the wizard that has such a attack hits for 25k and only has a 17k attack. And is only about 10 levels above this character tbh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Zero gets it. Zero thinks pressa is hurting her head trying to think to much.

Zero believes that there is a multiplier effect for that based on Str for BM's. Zero would assume magic for magic users.

Zero, unfortunately doesn't remember that formula. Zero does know that after calculation it shows up in character stat window.

Zero does know that forumla shows why someone would hit harder then stated attack.

Zero also knows that if debuffs/curses are on target you will hit harder. xD

Zero could get used to talking in the 3rd person. b:chuckleb:victory
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    but its the same for BMs too how can a weapon with 800 attack yield hits so much higher thats what I am talking about do I have to get a picture of a weapon and circle what I want to know for you to get it. I want to know how much is each point on a magic/phys attack bonus or weapon give to the overall total attack or is it irrelevant and doesn't go on the magic attack there and on something else.

Say for instance +14 magic attack on a ring how much does that contribute to your actual attack on the monster. It can't be 14 or it would be absolutely useless why wear a ring then. I have tried experiments on private servers in which you can obtain rings with +250 attack add on it jumps my attack 2k roughly or seems to but that still isn't right because the wizard that has such a attack hits for 25k and only has a 17k attack. And is only about 10 levels above this character tbh.

lols Pressa thats because wizard spells are better and do like base magic attack + 100-300% of weapon's magic attack.
    so yar we suppose to do more damage because we get better percentages.
    xD
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    b:thanks interesting a multiplier that could be the case like um 800 x magic / level that actually seems to work with some degree of offness. Stated thing says it gives 3500 rough attack to that 6000 total. There is another figure in there somewhere cause it is still just a bit off but getting closer

Aye yes third person can be quite addicting once you have started it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    b:thanks interesting a multiplier that could be the case like um 800 x magic / level that actually seems to work with some degree of offness. Stated thing says it gives 3500 rough attack to that 6000 total. There is another figure in there somewhere cause it is still just a bit off but getting closer

Aye yes third person can be quite addicting once you have started it.

Here same thread, so you can get data from it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Taken from the FAC guide in clerics forum
    ((base magic attack)+(MAG+weapon magic attack)*(magic attack % from skill)+skill add-on damage)*(100% + additional % from metal mastery)

and assume its the same for other 4 masteries present in game...
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    b:angry Fail read the thread don't skim
    Here same thread, so you can get data from it.
    Taken from the FAC guide in clerics forum

and assume its the same for other 4 masteries present in game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Your base magic listed in character window should be off of this formula from somewhere in here I read a long time ago. At the time, still wasn't understood if mastery multiplied the whole formula, or was an add like physical damage formula. If some seems like rehash of what you know, this is just building there.

1 + (MAG/100) * (LVL + Mag Atk).

Magic gains more bonus per point than physical characters, it's why they hit more. Just checked on my demon cleric, and divided the damage difference in character window by the difference on my weapon. ended up with 5.29 multiplier, which is my magic stat (429/100) + 1. So that checks out.

Now, for your skill use, it usually starts with your base magic, like you've mentioned. The damage bonus on the skill is pretty standard, so that gets added onto your base magic; again, much the same as you figured.

Now, this is where it can diverge. If the skills act the same as physical side counterparts, then 100% weapon damage isn't off of only your weapon, despite how it sounds. What it does is add the whole second part of the equation (LVL+ mag atk) on as that damage. 200% would add double the amount. And this includes things like your rings, gems, level, and weapon. Possibly any utility charms, not quite sure.

And if it is simplified, then the whole thing would be multiplied by 1.2 with a 20% wood mastery if using a wood skill. Hopefully it does it this way, because it's a lot simpler to work out than that other formula :)

Also, it depends as well on any buffs you have. If you had say spirit's Gift on, then your base magic would be:

1 + MAG/100 +.7 * (LVL + Mag Atk)

Never did bother getting too in-depth on this one, I was happy watching people disappear under Tempest. That was good enough for me :)
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    b:angry Fail read the thread don't skim
    Your base magic listed in character window should be off of this formula from somewhere in here I read a long time ago. At the time, still wasn't understood if mastery multiplied the whole formula, or was an add like physical damage formula. If some seems like rehash of what you know, this is just building there.

1 + (MAG/100) * (LVL + Mag Atk).

Magic gains more bonus per point than physical characters, it's why they hit more. Just checked on my demon cleric, and divided the damage difference in character window by the difference on my weapon. ended up with 5.29 multiplier, which is my magic stat (429/100) + 1. So that checks out.

Now, for your skill use, it usually starts with your base magic, like you've mentioned. The damage bonus on the skill is pretty standard, so that gets added onto your base magic; again, much the same as you figured.

Now, this is where it can diverge. If the skills act the same as physical side counterparts, then 100% weapon damage isn't off of only your weapon, despite how it sounds. What it does is add the whole second part of the equation (LVL+ mag atk) on as that damage. 200% would add double the amount. And this includes things like your rings, gems, level, and weapon. Possibly any utility charms, not quite sure.

And if it is simplified, then the whole thing would be multiplied by 1.2 with a 20% wood mastery if using a wood skill. Hopefully it does it this way, because it's a lot simpler to work out than that other formula :)

Also, it depends as well on any buffs you have. If you had say spirit's Gift on, then your base magic would be:

1 + MAG/100 +.6 * (LVL + Mag Atk)

Never did bother getting too in-depth on this one, I was happy watching people disappear under Tempest. That was good enough for me :)

b:victory +1 to this post but its still not what I am talking about. I think I will have to post a picture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    but...but...your question already been teh answered. b:shocked
    your question be:
    "So which is right the weapon the your actual attack or your damage."

the answer = combination of weapon+level+actual magic attack = damage.
    (X_X)'
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    b:surrender okay so little ol' Pressa been wonderin this for awhile, Equips simple topic till you look at your actual attack.
    Equip says you get for example 800 attack but your magic attack ends up actually like 6k but you do 10k damage with 100% return spells + your average venomancer 2k.
    b:shocked Something wrong with my math here how is that possible......Pressa is very confused how the text can be so off and that magic attack is adding things like rings that add 70-90 attack round about don't care precisely. So which is right the weapon the your actual attack or your damage.

b:kiss Pressa would love to know cause Pressa been trying to figure such a thing out with no luck.

(Yush I like how I speak shush you, Yush I like third person shush you , @_@ Yush Pressa is very confused now.)

Not sure about the maths, but Pressa is turning into MagicHamsta's protege

*runs for hills * he has corrupted the forums with his Hamsterisms b:shocked
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    To apply your numbers into it; of 6K base mag, 2k bonus damage, 100% weapon damage, it would be roughly like this:

6K + 2k + 1-1.2K (weapon damage), which works out to 9-9.2k. Now since it is wood damage, and your mastery is likely lvl 10 at this point, it multiplies by 1.2 to get 11k roughly. If you had Spirit's Gift, prolly close to 12k damage. Consider that most mobs have really terrible resist numbers, and you get a bit of damage lopped off to make it 10K hits. Heck, even 2.5K is a high level of resist for many high level mobs, ifyou attack mobs weak to wood type it's down around 1.5K in lvl 9x mobs.

So it's likely a combination of the skill used, the adds it gives, and the very low resistance mobs have against our damage that combines to give you those 10k hits.

EDIT: That part was actually in the first post I made. Your level and total magical attack ( this is from weapon, your gems, your rings, your ring's adds all taken together. This is your weapon damage. You multiply that number by 6.23 to find your character window Magical Attack. So in reverse

17,450/6.23 to 17569/6.23 This is your weapon damage which equals out to a range of 2801 - 2820. Subtract 200 from both from gems for 2601 - 2620. Subtract 330 from the ring you have shown, for 2271 - 2290. And then subtract your weapon magic attack to bring it to 469. Take away level for 358. So with the other rings, and most likely your mag atk utility charms, you have another 358 mag atk hidden away somewhere. Possibly adds on your armor as well.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.