Are Archers worth playing?

Options
Elinexus - Sanctuary
Elinexus - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Archer
I have read through almost all the threads and forums on Archers and none of them seem to make Archers worth-wild. I am working on an Archer at the moment and i enjoy a couple of things about it in comparison to other classes, but also keeping in mind that archers start off good then go down the echelon towards in game.

Thing is i just really want to know if it's even wort going all the way?b:surrender
Post edited by Elinexus - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    No it's not.
    Quit.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Archer class be the class for the majority of the population... power now...Nao~!! figure they going to stop playing soon enough. b:chuckle
    (exception be those that cash shop or are super dedicated) b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Notice that nobody who responded is an archer, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

mayhaps because they be a rare species at high levels? b:question
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicoleluver
    nicoleluver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Not if you don't have enough money to invest on +5, +7 Refining of all your equipment later game. Without Refined gear, Archers are good as Blademasters with Bows and arrows. If you find it hard to Refine all your Gear above +5, rather pick any other class and have fun with it, instead of Building your archer till Lv 90 and then QQing that Archers are weak with low level refining.

I am not complaining about their attack since Archers get to be the Game's Second Best Damage Dealers (Mages go First), but High Level archers lack Defense and HP hence the need to Refine Equipment. An Archer is like a Gimped Mage and a Gimped Blademaster that has Less than Half the defense of a Blademaster and a Mage and can die equally fast to both physical and magical attacks, hence the need of Refining for HP at High Levels. If you are a cash shopper that is ready to invest a little bit in your 90s on Archer Gear then go ahead and play an archer, its one of the most fun classes to play ^_^ !

With Uber Gear and Weapon Refining, Archers rock Endgame !
    b:victory
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Hmm considering it takes quite some time to reach the so called 9x levels where archer lose the edge over other classes (atleast according to the archers at those levels), I would still say its worth it :).

Why?

1.) Extremely cheap to maintain when it comes to day to day grinding and dont need to spend too much on repairs, pots, charms (unless u want to Zhen where you have to use a huge mana draining AOE skill), etc.

2.) You need to get through 89 levels before you start losing youre edge (only pvp wise) as an archer so I dont see why its not a good option as long as you like playing it.

3.) And if you want to switch to another class, your archer can actually help saving up money for that one :) since archers really dont need to bother too much on equips till about 60. Add even after most focus on weapons instead of armour (unless you wanna be a pvp god) since thats enough for grinding. IF a mob ever gets near you, you can either kite or die trying or tank and kill it fast.

If you think you would spend a lot on ammo, think again. For grinding my set of 20k arrows (40k coins) last for about a week and I usually make more than 10 times of that amount in a couple of days.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yes, archers are amazingly easy to grind with past 50 or so (with General Summer's Bow) or 60 (with TT60 or Solarslayer), and it only gets easier as you get to higher levels. With Winged Shell as a backup if something actually gets near you, you can kill most things your level with minimal damage and little to no MP cost.

I buy a stack of 40k ammo (80k coins) every week or so if I'm actually grinding. I can make that back in an hour, generally. Ammo costs are nothing compared to potion costs for other classes. Likewise equipment costs, at least for PvE, and not counting weapon. Sure, our defense is terrible. Most of the time though we don't need it. We rely on killing things before they touch us, not on being able to take the hits when they do.

Also, I've been playing for several months, with quite a bit of free time, and am only at 79. It takes a LONG time to reach the point where the other classes start catching up to and surpassing Archers in PvP effectiveness.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It takes a LONG time to reach the point where the other classes start catching up to and surpassing Archers in PvP effectiveness.
    i really dont believe this statement at all. the only class with no real weakness at endgame levels are wizards, every other class has one. but when you actually get that level, pvp is either 'I KILL U in 6s OR I DIE JUST AS FAST.'

leveling wise, theyre one of the fastest. zhen demon world/single target **** spiders, the only major output above that is cleric bm duo in back in time maps. demon archer out DDs everything but phoenixes on world bosses ;P.

as said by others, extremely cheap to use.

i think theyre plenty worth while*. (not wild)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Illyana - Dreamweaver
    Illyana - Dreamweaver Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yes, Archer is a very gratifying class to play.
    5.0 "Pure" 8jun Sage Clawrcher of Dreamweaver
  • hemoglobin
    hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    archer is the most fun class to play. if you want to go bam bam your dead! archer is the class to do!
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I am still level 85, but I do not feel I lack for survivability, and I feel my dpshas been adequate (though I will do much better damage when I get better gear).

(For example, I can have every bit of aggro from any FB89 boss or regular monster, and live, unless I am sluggish, making horrid mistakes or seriously lagging. And if I do not take preventive steps, I will get that aggro.)
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    hemoglobin wrote: »
    archer is the most fun class to play. if you want to go bam bam your dead! archer is the class to do!
    No no, the proper terminology is "pew pew".
  • SashaSlick - Sanctuary
    SashaSlick - Sanctuary Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    What they all is true.. fast lvling and cheap.. unless u wanna do pvp at high levels...

Look at it this way. You lvl so fast and 1 day u WILL be a high lvl. And at high lvl u'l start to get bored if u dnt PK. U did so many grindings that now ur sick of it. And u need to get good gears to survive pvp.

If u dnt mind goind thru that than stay as archer. If not, make it ur alt for fast kill for mats.

This is what i think. Not saying any1 else is wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MissHeron - Dreamweaver
    MissHeron - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    You have to realise that thinkin about lvl90+ when you are lvl20 is pointless, its like thinkin "what will i eat for christmass 2012".

If you cant make coins to refine your gear on lvl95, you are a high level noob.
    Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.
    William Blake
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    shut up we're waiting for d orb sales b:angry
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    shut up we're waiting for d orb sales b:angry

Windcatcher b:pleased
  • Blds - Lost City
    Blds - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    OP let me put it to you this way

Archer's are the ONLY class that I can 1 shot on a regular basis

If you're interested in end-game and have patience+PvP face rolling skills; just make a mage
    9x Sage Wizard

Free to play! b:laugh
    Pay to win.b:cry
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Windcatcher b:pleased

that would be Blinding Radiance to you miss...also, wts my Thundercrack-that-i-was-too-lazy-to-turn-into-Blinding-Radiance-because-well-i-found-a-Blinding-Radiance-in-AH-for-
    9m-can-you-believe-it-when-i-saw-it-i-was-like-omg-why-is-no-one-bidding-on-this

b:surrender
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    that would be Blinding Radiance to you miss...also, wts my Thundercrack-that-i-was-too-lazy-to-turn-into-Blinding-Radiance-because-well-i-found-a-Blinding-Radiance-in-AH-for-
    9m-can-you-believe-it-when-i-saw-it-i-was-like-omg-why-is-no-one-bidding-on-this

b:surrender

What's the refines on it? =p
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    the thundercrack is naked, the BR is +4, yet it out-damages the Windcatcher even tho the Windcatcher has a higher refine. im honestly satisfied, and look forward to refining it to +7 or something down the line.
  • Archers_Soul - Lost City
    Archers_Soul - Lost City Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

lol @ your sig
    Thing is i just really want to know if it's even wort going all the way?b:surrender

no! play, pay and pk away! enjoy being an archer until you get to end game and become sucky. unless your trancend or some epic cash shopper that can + all your gears to +12 then you'll have a shot.
    I don't care how old or young you are, how small your **** is, how much of a nerd irl you are or how depressed you are that you never will get laid. There is no reason to act like an A-hole to everyone on an mmorpg. Its a shame that I have to take time out of my day to tell people "stop being an A-hole". So I end with this, if your acting like an A-hole, and some one tells you your being an A-hole chances are your being an A-hole.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    damn seriously...transcends cursor moves as fast as some players' do on their RTS games >.<
  • Elinexus - Sanctuary
    Elinexus - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    You have to realise that thinkin about lvl90+ when you are lvl20 is pointless, its like thinkin "what will i eat for christmass 2012".

If you cant make coins to refine your gear on lvl95, you are a high level noob.

lol 2012 i doubt it I started my archer this week and am about to hit 30, this is counting the fact that i work 40+ a week and some how (thank the heavens i am able to play)
    Aside from that I created a wiz and reached lv. 80 within three months, now to say 2012 I would have all classes at 90+. b:laugh
    This response is just to give you a heads up on how well i can do in a short time span.
  • //Lelouch\ - Sanctuary67
    //Lelouch\ - Sanctuary67 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    lol 2012 i doubt it I started my archer this week and am about to hit 30, this is counting the fact that i work 40+ a week and some how (thank the heavens i am able to play)
    Aside from that I created a wiz and reached lv. 80 within three months, now to say 2012 I would have all classes at 90+. b:laugh
    This response is just to give you a heads up on how well i can do in a short time span.

b:chuckle Say hello to my wizzy
  • Mythsoul - Heavens Tear
    Mythsoul - Heavens Tear Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    This^^................

Whooo Im just like that deceptidiot
    All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    This^^................

Whooo Im just like that deceptidiot

o.O what are you talking about?
  • Endrnz - Dreamweaver
    Endrnz - Dreamweaver Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have read through almost all the threads and forums on Archers and none of them seem to make Archers worth-wild. I am working on an Archer at the moment and i enjoy a couple of things about it in comparison to other classes, but also keeping in mind that archers start off good then go down the echelon towards in game.

Well seeing as you are level 36 on your avatar...do you think they are fun?

It dosen't matter if archers are weak at 90+ (PvP wise)...well atleast according to other archer that are 90+...its the getting to end game which I consider the fun part.

So far I am loving archer, and although they are weak in certain aspects of game I personally find it very amusing to have somewhat of a challenge.

Hope you find this helpful :)
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Posted on 11-08-2009 01:54 AM:
    o.O what are you talking about?

I didn't know archers can learn revive. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • Tomus - Sanctuary
    Tomus - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archer r a very complete class, that is needed in all instance. Lots of and constant DD, Sharp tooth for boss !, we often save veno life, in tw we r a very good class.
    We look cool, and wearing a bow is something u cant explain!

Ofc we have a lack of hp and defence.But we r not tank. We r not build for mele fight, that the reason why pvp is often quit, and stun and shot, and run again.... If we were good at mele there would be only archer on all server !!!!

More i play my archer, the more i love it.

Ask level 100 archer if we r worth playing at end game, and u will see their answer.. They all say we r a good end game class !

Nefarious who get all map in sanctuary have 10 level 100+ archer , and many 95 +, when they recruiting people( and its not often) they ask for archer 92+ (and wiz) and no other class, because they know the ^power and the need of archer in TW.

We r not assassin, we r not a solo class ( pLAy veno if u want solo TT !), we shine when assist a tank, or be heal by a cleric. We do our job, and do it very well; be Proud of ur archer?

ENJOY THE GAME
  • AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear
    AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yes archers are a very fun class to play, inevitably the best DD class in the game. Although gear plays a large role in an archer's life, in no-way is insanely +6 or +7 necessary to be successful or to even still play your class effectively. As for grinding with an archer, the levels will fly just because of our minimal mp usage and low repair bills. Sure our defenses may be a little lacking, but why worry about that when mobs die 20 feet away from you. Also the constant crits is somewhat of an eye candy :).