Misbuying Something

Options
iceknave
iceknave Posts: 236 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
This happened to me earlier today and I was wondering what other people would think about what happened.

I had left my cat shop up while I was eating dinner, selling a number of different items. I came back after dinner and noticed that one of my more expensive items (a weapon, Wind and Clouds for 2 million) had finally managed to sell with a message from an individual to contact him. Finding it a bit odd, I sent him a pm and he said he had bought the item, thinking it was another weapon (Sinister Shooter). He asked that I buy back the weapon for 2 million because he misbought the item. I wasn't too sure what to do and did not respond to his "offer".

What do people think I should have done and has this happened to someone else before? Thanks.
Induction ID (Doomsbog): 3080068X031808024008351Z3f4d22
Post edited by iceknave on

Comments

• Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    good thing you didn't. it was his fault for "misbuying" the item that you sold, he should of looked twice before he bought it co in this case, you earned that 2mil b:victory good job ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I was so afraid that this was another thread about people scamming. b:chuckle

It all depends on what YOU think. Some people are extraordinarily nice people and would buy it back without thought, but it's understandable if you choose not to because that's not your mistake, that's theirs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I was so afraid that this was another thread about people scamming. b:chuckle

It all depends on what YOU think. Some people are extraordinarily nice people and would buy it back without thought, but it's understandable if you choose not to because that's not your mistake, that's theirs.

Well, this forums have a bit of double standards since what you did, if it was about miss buying something, people would be up in arms screaming that it is not the buyers fault, and that the seller is at fault. In this case people are telling you keep the money on that expensive item you sold and that is the buyers fault for not checking.

Personaly, if he had asked nicely, I would had bought it back, even though I think the buyers really need to pay attention to what they buy.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • /Radar/ - Lost City
    /Radar/ - Lost City Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    personally, i would have bought it back from him/her without a second thought. i would then have to re-sell it, but in my mind, it's the right thing to do

guess it's the little bit of carebear inside me that just won't let go b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Ophida for the cute siggy :3

- retired 11/06/09
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Well, this forums have a bit of double standards since what you did, if it was about miss buying something, people would be up in arms screaming that it is not the buyers fault, and that the seller is at fault. In this case people are telling you keep the money on that expensive item you sold and that is the buyers fault for not checking.

Personaly, if he had asked nicely, I would had bought it back, even though I think the buyers really need to pay attention to what they buy.

I think I'm missing the double standard, or I didn't completely understand your first paragraph. When people complain about being scammed people always say "buyer needs to pay more attention", and in this case people are saying the same thing. Where's the double standard?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I think I'm missing the double standard, or I didn't completely understand your first paragraph. When people complain about being scammed people always say "buyer needs to pay more attention", and in this case people are saying the same thing. Where's the double standard?

How popular are the people that say the buyer needs to pay attention?

I did not mean to say that you had the double standard, I was just using your quote to bring up the fact that people in the forums usualy say that it is not the buyers fault.

I apologize if it came across as me acusing you personaly of double standards.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If I were you, I'd get him to pay you back for 2.5m. He screwed up, but 2m's pretty bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • iceknave
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If I were you, I'd get him to pay you back for 2.5m. He screwed up, but 2m's pretty bad.
    Umm, I sold the item for 2 million....

He bought it and wanted me to buy it back from him because he didn't intend to buy the item I was selling...

So what you're suggesting is he pay me another 2.5 million for his screwup, giving me a total of 4.5 million for the item?

Wow.... Just .... I don't know what to say...
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    OOPS, I'm a little tired. Meant that you should buy it back for 1.5m b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Angel__sora - Sanctuary
    Angel__sora - Sanctuary Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    To buy thing items from catshops, you need to drag it down to the bottom, press buy, then accept. So he can't say he bought it accidentally. Then the description and name of the item is viewable while it's in the shop so there's no reason he shouldn't have read it carefully. No, he bought the item fair and square so you should reserve the right to keep the money. If he wants his 2mil back, let HIM sell it in his own catshop.
    One man's pain is another man's lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If he wants his 2mil back, let HIM sell it in his own catshop.

This ^^

The fact is, he made the choice to buy the item. If he couldn't be assed to take the two seconds it takes to make sure the item was in fact what he wanted, that is his loss, and he can suck it up.

~Saitada
  • Mirabeth - Sanctuary
    Mirabeth - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I'm so very wishy washy about this. If it was me and someone had done that, me being the big softy I am, I'd probably give them back their money because I'd feel so excessively horrid if it happened to me. But again, I agree with those who say if you make a mistake like that, it's kind of silly. There are so many precautions along the way when you purchase something from a catshop. All you have to do is hover your mouse over the item and look at the description before purchasing it. And you can't just double-click by accident and buy it. You have to drag it, put it in the buy window. Then click buy. Then confirm. So you can't really make a mistake there either. The only real mistake could be if you just looked at the picture, made a quick glance at the title, and click/drag/purchase. But then it's basically the buyer's carelessness that caused the mistake. :/

tl;dr - I'd say it's up to your conscience. Do what you feel is right in the situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Skybelle for the wonderful sig

Where did you go, where did you go? How did you know to get out of a world gone mad? Help me let go of the chaos around me, the devil that hounds me. I need you to tell me "Child be still". If the darkest hour comes before the light, where is the light?
  • Pegasi - Lost City
    Pegasi - Lost City Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have to sympathize with some people who manage to miss buy something.
    I get really dyslexic sometimes, I sit there, and I read it, again, and again, and again and then I think I have it all ok, then... figure out I was being **** in that moment and although I triple checked I STILL bought the wrong thingy! Damn, it's horrid sometimes.
    Assuming the item was what the shop name says it was, the buyer wasn't asking you to pay more than what the item sold for; eh. I'd have bought it back. Reluctantly, but would have done it.

I just assume people aren't going to be kind about it and try to get rid of it myself without even bothering to ask. Pffft, I just assume they'll call me an idiot and some such other things so... I don't bother. >:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When Saukey decides she can swim, I know I didn't get the DC pop-up again. Wish she swam when it matters.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    How popular are the people that say the buyer needs to pay attention?

I did not mean to say that you had the double standard, I was just using your quote to bring up the fact that people in the forums usualy say that it is not the buyers fault.

I apologize if it came across as me acusing you personaly of double standards.

No, I honestly just thought I was missing something. b:chuckle I see what you're saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XbladeXBm - Dreamweaver
    XbladeXBm - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Look at it this way, if you had mispriced the item and sold it for 200k instead of 2mil would you expect the buyer to recognise the mistake and return it in good faith ?

If so then agree we all make mistakes and buy it back .

If not then forget about it and move on
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Look at it this way, if you had mispriced the item and sold it for 200k instead of 2mil would you expect the buyer to recognise the mistake and return it in good faith ?

I have never made a single mistake in my entire life... multiple mistakes yes, single no! (lol)

~Saitada
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    if hes really an archer he'd use it when he's lvl 69? best 7x grinding weapon in the game...i mean at least he didn't accidentally buy a sword or something.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

^ what this guy said. People have to take responsibility for what they do instead of expect others to fix their mistakes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I like this thread ^_^

Says a heck of a lot about you as a human being depending on what you'd do here.
    On the one hand, the guy made a simple honest mistake and any kind person would pity them and help them. But now on the other, 2 million in coin is involved. You could say "**** it" to your kindness and choose wealth instead. Lets face it, if someone made an honest mistake with no money involved you'd help them, not rub it in their faces and punish them for it.

I honestly have zero respect for you guys who'd keep the money, and I'll be sure to remember all your names for the future.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    but it's an archer who bought a bloody wind and clouds...i mean if hes into sinister shooters you know he'll want a wind and clouds eventually...

his fault or not, he's still got a wind and clouds in his hands right? he can either sell that, or use it at lvl 69 and sell it afterwards.
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I like this thread ^_^

Says a heck of a lot about you as a human being depending on what you'd do here.
    On the one hand, the guy made a simple honest mistake and any kind person would pity them and help them. But now on the other, 2 million in coin is involved. You could say "**** it" to your kindness and choose wealth instead. Lets face it, if someone made an honest mistake with no money involved you'd help them, not rub it in their faces and punish them for it.

I honestly have zero respect for you guys who'd keep the money, and I'll be sure to remember all your names for the future.

Consequences for being in a hurry and not paying close attention to what your doing. If you bounce a check at your bank, they 'might' waive the fee once. They ain't likely to twice. Life is about facing up to your mistakes, and trying not to make them again.

The guy made a 'mistake' and bought the wrong item. That mistake was 100% preventable if he had bothered to pay closer attention to what he was doing, and realistically the guy isn't out any coin at all, he will just need to sell it himself to get it back if it really isn't what he wanted in the first place.

The thing is DS, they guy makes the 'claim' that he bought the wrong item. Personally I am more inclined to believe he found a cheaper version somewhere and was trying to hoodwink the OP into giving him his money back. I'm not as convinced of 'humanities' goodness as some wish to believe. I'm more inclined to believe the buyer was trying something underhanded.

~Saitada
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I would not buy it back since it was not a scammed item.

Why should the seller have to take more time out of their gaming possibly to sell the item for a second time. The buyer who messed up can take the time to put up a catshop and sell the item for 2MIL.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Angel__sora - Sanctuary
    Angel__sora - Sanctuary Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I like this thread ^_^

I'd say **** the rules, I have money. b:chuckle

And I hope you do remember my name because you'll be screaming it later. b:cute
    One man's pain is another man's lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I just thought of something hilarious to implement in this type of case.

Sure, take the item back but.....Just like how RL works charge him/her a 20% restocking fee.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I just thought of something hilarious to implement in this type of case.

Sure, take the item back but.....Just like how RL works charge him/her a 20% restocking fee.

lols!
    restocking and servicing fee too b:cute
    you had to go back into catshop to sell it again.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The thing is DS, they guy makes the 'claim' that he bought the wrong item. Personally I am more inclined to believe he found a cheaper version somewhere and was trying to hoodwink the OP into giving him his money back. I'm not as convinced of 'humanities' goodness as some wish to believe. I'm more inclined to believe the buyer was trying something underhanded.
    What server is this on? On HT, a Wind and the Clouds is difficult to unload for over 200k. A Sinister Shooter can easily go for over 1 mil. 2 mil for a Wind and the Clouds almost qualifies as a scam (I say almost because often the seller doesn't really know how much it's worth either). Either the guy really did think it was a Sinister Shooter, or as you say wanted a Wind and the Clouds and found out later that 2 mil is vastly overpriced.

If the seller didn't know he'd overpriced the item and doesn't often run a cat shop, then I say let the sale stand. Overpriced and under-priced items are part of the mechanics of the free market which allows prices to fluctuate in response to changes in supply and demand. As ruthless as it may sound, this is the market's way of enforcing the need to research the price of big-ticket items before you buy.

If the seller did know he'd vastly overpriced it, then it's essentially it's a scam, and I'd say return the money (although the seller/scammer never will, and is probably just using this thread to mollify a semi-guilty conscience).

The final caveat is that if the seller often runs a cat shop with a recognizable name and similar items for sale, then it would be better for business to accept the return. If you set up your shop in the same location with the same inventory and consistently good prices, people do notice and visit your shop more often. Likewise, if you sell items at ripoff prices, people notice and start avoiding your shop.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    you're assuming the seller wasn't vending a heavily refined/sharded W&C. for someone to even try to sell wind and clouds for that much means it must have something good about it ie: heavy refines b:dirty because everyone knows how cheap W&C goes just from a simple browse of the AH.

we can't really tell what the OP's intentions were until we hear what the OP had to say about his decision for the pricing *shrug*
  • iceknave
    edited November 2009
    Options
    What server is this on? On HT, a Wind and the Clouds is difficult to unload for over 200k. A Sinister Shooter can easily go for over 1 mil. 2 mil for a Wind and the Clouds almost qualifies as a scam (I say almost because often the seller doesn't really know how much it's worth either). Either the guy really did think it was a Sinister Shooter, or as you say wanted a Wind and the Clouds and found out later that 2 mil is vastly overpriced.

If the seller didn't know he'd overpriced the item and doesn't often run a cat shop, then I say let the sale stand. Overpriced and under-priced items are part of the mechanics of the free market which allows prices to fluctuate in response to changes in supply and demand. As ruthless as it may sound, this is the market's way of enforcing the need to research the price of big-ticket items before you buy.

If the seller did know he'd vastly overpriced it, then it's essentially it's a scam, and I'd say return the money (although the seller/scammer never will, and is probably just using this thread to mollify a semi-guilty conscience).
    I never mentioned the refine rate, the shards in the weapon, or the server I'm on. Based on my understanding of the market, I felt that 2 million, although a bit overpriced, was within the range of what it was worth at this time, but did not expect it to sell very quickly or even at all due to the very messed up market mechanics in part because of the anni packs and due to inability to sell it via the auction house even at a lower price and thus, just put it up on a cat shop alongside my other cheaper stuff.

In any case, this is interesting. I actually posted the thread in the first place to get a better feel of what are the norms for people misbuying items and wanting to return them for future reference since I had not really seen much on this topic except for out right scams (ie, putting an insane price on a common item, hoping someone messes up and buys it, thinking it's a more rare item with the same icon (which pretty much pisses everybody off blaming both seller and buyer, varying from individual to individual) and because I felt a bit bad that he bought an item he had no use for another 20 odd levels and claimed he was poor (I'm pretty poor as well since I spent most of my money on stuff to sell after the anni packs were gone and trying out Jolly Jones..b:cry.).
  • Blds - Lost City
    Blds - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Depends on how they ask. If they're rude or demanding about it, they can go f themself and I'll keep the 2m that I sold from a shop.

If they ask me nicely and apologize and admit to being a dumbass for not viewing the item; I'll have a good LOL and then agree to buy it back off them
    9x Sage Wizard

Free to play! b:laugh
    Pay to win.b:cry
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I'd probably buy it back simply because he won't be able to use the weapon and I feel like I have a duty to look out for fledgling archers. As long as he was nice about it. It's up to you though as long as you weren't deceptive in your shop the sale was fair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html